• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 4, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 04, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 04, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 04, 2021

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just bent 3 cpu pins into place and saved my computer. I feel like a badass and I am happy beyond anything I have felt before

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 03:10 AM PDT

    So, I had been replacing my thermal paste and accidentally bent 3 pins as I was putting it back into place without realizing (CPU came out of the socket cause it was stuck to the cooler) . Went to boot and it didnt work.

    I minorly panicked, got my composure and pulled out the CPU again. Noticed 3 of the outer pins were bent. So I took a flathead screwdriver, pressed down gently on the top as I slowly wiggled it back into place.

    When it all looked straight, I put it back down, pressed it gently into place until it wasnt rocking an inch and then locked it.

    I mustered up all my courage, shit my pants a little, pressed the power button and. ... ... IT WORKED!

    Never have I screamed with such joy before. UEFI recognized it as a new CPU, so I had to configure it again, but it booted to Windows and I am so happy.

    Have you had any success stories lately? Ever bent a pin(s) into place?

    submitted by /u/MrPartyPancake
    [link] [comments]

    Me vs. the School IT Department (SSD vs. Ram upgrade debate)...who is right?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 05:23 AM PDT

    I was at a tech meeting for my school yesterday (I'm a teacher, not a tech). They are going to be upgrading the students laptops for the upcoming year. They said they are going to be upping the ram from 4gb to 8gb to make them faster.

    I told them they should be using that money to upgrade the hdd to an ssd instead. I basically was looked at with two heads and told "the laptops ram is too low for Windows 10." (They are 8th gen i3s, 4gb, 500gb hdd).

    I use these laptops everyday with the kids. They are basically glorified chromebooks. Everything is done through the browser - even Office/Word/PowerPoint are only done online - no programs are really installed to the PC itself.

    The biggest problem we have it that it takes 5+ minutes to boot them up. Launching chrome/edge takes a solid minute. And the general operations are just super slow. I don't see how more RAM is going to be helpful.

    I had one of the (younger) techs agree with me in private...but the other techs are all 50+ years old just think adding more ram is the best solution.

    Who is right here? I still have another meeting to push this issue. We have a school vendor who can sell us 256gb PNY ssds at $28 a piece vs. 4gb ram upgrades at $30 a piece...so the prices are similar.

    submitted by /u/dirtynj
    [link] [comments]

    A beautiful 3060 TI story

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    Hello Reader,

    This a story that will hopefully boost your faith in the world.

    Backstory: I have been looking to buy a 3060TI for about a week. I set up a bunch of alert bots and even offered my friends 50$ if they could purchase the 3060TI anywhere.

    A few days ago I went to Canada Computers to look for a new power supply, and what do I see on the display wall? A brand new 3060TI shining majestically. I ask the salesman "this obviously isn't for sale, right?". To which he responds "it actually is for sale". I ended up buying it on the spot for retail price ($700CAD).

    I was so happy and surprised. I even asked the salesman "how do you guys even have this in stock?". He goes on to tell me that so many young kids have been coming in to buy a graphics card and they are forced to pay ridiculous resell prices. So Canada Computers' staff decided to start placing employee orders with their advanced preorder system. They then instantly return the cards and put them on the shelf for customers to buy. They did this because they hated seeing kids forced to pay $400-700 extra just to get a graphics card.

    Overall, I feel incredibly lucky. And I'm glad there are people who look out for the little guy.

    TLDR: Spent a ton of time trying to get a 3060TI online, ended up randomly finding one in store. Huge shoutout to Canada Computers because the staff wants to help people who are genuinely trying to buy the card for gaming.

    Hope this made you gain some faith in humanity :)

    submitted by /u/quickdr4w_
    [link] [comments]

    Weird request: A keyboard under 200mm? (7 1/4 inches)?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm building a PC with a custom case and I know this sounds weird but I need a keyboard that is less than 200mm. So I guess that's small, compact keyboards ideally wired and not bluetooth.

    There is some that are made for tablets and phones that are very small, but many are also cheap quality and bluetooth.

    Does anyone know of a very compact wired keyboard?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ThisIsTheNewSleeve
    [link] [comments]

    Is an RTX 3060 with 12gb of dedicated memory better than a 3070 with 8?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 09:16 AM PDT

    As for the title, I'm looking for some pre build PCs since this seems to be the only way to get my hands on the new graphic cards, I unfortunately don't know enough to understand which of the 2 options is better, any input?

    submitted by /u/bigweight93
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to get a pc for a budget of around $2000 and i had a few questions on the graphics card

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:24 AM PDT

    1. How much if the budget should be spent on a graphics card.

    2. I've been looking into a few different ones and the ones that have stood out are the 3070, 3080 and 3080ti. What's the best in terms of price to performance.

    I'll be using this pc for mainly gaming on probably a 1440p but I haven't fully decided if I should get a 1080p or 1440p. Games I'll be mainly include Minecraft, Fortnite, Cod, fifa, Rocket league, apex and I'll dev be picking up other games that I'll play. I'll also be using this pc for work simple things like word, excel etc (I'm sure most PCs/graphics cards can handle simple work).

    If you need anymore info pls lmk and thx for all the help

    submitted by /u/Librarian-Expensive
    [link] [comments]

    What should I upgrade first?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    Hello, looking to get a performance boost, but need some opinions. I'm guessing I should get a 650w power supply before upgrading.

    Heres my build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/maat_m/saved/HWCRK8

    Should I:

    Get a second 16gb kit of ram?

    Upgrade cpu?

    Upgrade gpu?

    Also, what's the weakest link in my build?

    submitted by /u/DealerEffective304
    [link] [comments]

    Building a PC for music / audio engineering

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 06:40 AM PDT

    My son is a brilliant musician. I recently caught him making a fairly complex prog metal song using the tools in Guitar Hero 5. I want him to have something more professional, more of an industry standard.

    We have several guitars, drums, mics, synthetic, a mixer, and an audio interface for the PC. I have my own PC, but that was built primarily for my own personal / gaming use and he won't use it because I spend most of my time using it.

    I'd like to build his own system designed primarily for recording and mixing his own compositions. It should be robust enough to play some games but doesn't need to be overly powerful for pushing graphical limits.

    Any advice on what's needed here?

    submitted by /u/TheLurkerSpeaks
    [link] [comments]

    so i have a 73% health harddrive and a few bad sectors (dont remember the actual number) and i am in desperately in need of space for my games and i currently only have a 240gb ssd rn so i was wondering if using this hdd will damage my pc in anyway.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2021 10:09 PM PDT

    i know all the data can be lost but im only gonna store games on it its 7200rpm btw so is it safe to use it or naw?

    THANKS!

    submitted by /u/Shourya_29
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use a stock i7-4790k cooler on an i5-11600k, or do I need to buy a new cooler?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:22 PM PDT

    Basically, I want to buy an i5-11600k, and I was wondering if a stock i7-4790k cooler is good?

    If not, what do I need?

    submitted by /u/silly_grenade
    [link] [comments]

    Building a pc soon, what cpu would be needed for 3060 ti/3070?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 12:49 PM PDT

    Hello! Soon I am building a computer and have been looking at parts used. Near me I have been seeing 3000 series cards going very low, every day I see a at least a 2080 ti and a 3060 Ti going for $500. If I got one of these cards what cpu would I need to get the minimal bottleneck possible at my price range? My budget is around $800-1000 at most. I am planning on buying the GPU, CPU, RAM, and Monitor used.

    submitted by /u/DwertlePlayz
    [link] [comments]

    Is this an ok GPU?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 09:34 AM PDT

    Building a pc and trying to stay very very budget friendly. Probably going to spend around 800 in just pc parts and was wondering if a GIGABYTE 1050 Ti would cut it for my gaming needs. This includes apex, fortnite, valorant, league of legends, maybe even new world or other mmos. I don't care how good the game looks I just want to be able to play them.

    submitted by /u/itslatex
    [link] [comments]

    Where the heck do i plug in all these fans

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    Trying to plug in 4 case fans (3 input one output) and a cpu cooler with ARGB I've got a 240 mm AIO as well with ARGB and im a bit lost on where to plug everything

    Motherboard: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z590%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp

    Fans: https://www.umart.com.au/AZZA-120mm-Hurricane-II-ARGB-PWM-Fan_53233G.html

    AIO:https://www.umart.com.au/Silverstone-PF240-ARGB-AIO-Liquid-CPU-Cooler_53337G.html

    I was gonna daisy chain the 3 intake fans and then have the 2 AIO fans daisy chained too

    Will post a picture of the plugins i've got too

    submitted by /u/Apprehensive-Ad1407
    [link] [comments]

    If I'm making a build with used parts to sell, should I provide a new Windows license after having transferred it to my current PC?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    Title.

    I personally think that I shouldn't have to provide a product key to the buyer, as an non-activated Windows OS is still operational. One would argue that pre-built OEM PCs would have them included with the device, but on the other hand builders have to supply their own. Also not to mention the ability for the buyer to link their own Microsoft account to the product key. Would love to hear some thoughts on this.

    submitted by /u/KobraTheKipod
    [link] [comments]

    $2,500 CAD Computer worth it for the specs? Thanks!

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:25 PM PDT

    I am considering purchasing a computer from my classmate who is selling it for $2,500 CAD ($1,992 USD). The specs are as follows:

    Intel i9 10850k

    Asus strix 3070

    16gb DDR4 Trident z 3600mhz

    Gigabyte gaming z490

    Lian li o11 dynamic Razer case

    Corsair Rx850w gold

    MSI 360MM 3fan rgb AIO

    Samsung 970 plus 1tb m.2

    I have had 0 luck getting RTX cards. After so many months of waiting, I have given up on building my own. Do you think this build is worth $2,500 CAD ($1,992 USD)?

    I have placed the matching parts as best I can into PCPartpicker except for the RTX 3070. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3cKyht

    The parts in PCPartpicker comes out to $1,558.63 CAD minus the RTX 3070. After Tax, I estimate the parts to be worth $1,700 CAD.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/howie117
    [link] [comments]

    I7 10700f

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    can a PC boot up withough GPU only with I7 10700f ?

    submitted by /u/GamingMachine1111
    [link] [comments]

    It wont start

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:11 PM PDT

    How to Fix Slight GPU Sag?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 10:59 AM PDT

    Hi there, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 3070 ti for my recent build. This is my first time owning a card since the 1070. I have noticed that the card is very slightly sagging. I have seen GPU braces to resolve this, but I am uncertain as to which one I should use. Do you all have any recommended solutions to fixing some slight sag? Hopefully my post is flared and set up correctly. Thanks in advance for taking time to read my post and offer some help!

    submitted by /u/FireBendingKorra
    [link] [comments]

    Intel i5 11400 or i7 10700

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 10:48 AM PDT

    Building a pc mainly for video editing. Should i go for the older 10th gen i7 or the newer 11th gen i5? I'm on a budget so i couldnt go for the 11th gen i7. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/vkun95
    [link] [comments]

    And free sync

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 01:00 PM PDT

    So if I use free sync with my 144hz monitor and I get like 100 FPS in a game does the monitor display 100hz or one of its options like 60hz,75hz,120hz,144hz you know what I mean

    submitted by /u/Minute-Village-1829
    [link] [comments]

    Radeon RX6800 or RTX3070?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    I recently ordered a PC online and chose the Radeon RX6800 as my graphics card, but a day later the company called back and told me they were out of stock of the RX and won't get new ones in the foreseeable time. As a replacement, they offered me the RTX3070 (MSI suprim).
    Is it a heavy downgrade or should I try to get a different GPU somewhere else?

    submitted by /u/BlueBunny333
    [link] [comments]

    PC build for GPU rendering and occasional CoD Warzone

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 04:40 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    So I'm about to build a new PC. I mostly use it for GPU rendering and some occasional gaming (CoD Warzone).

    My question is should i go for Ryzen 5 3600X/RTX 3060 Ti or Ryzen 5 5600X/RTX 3060 ?

    Your help is much appreciated

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Djiadje
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding a DisplayPort switcher that supports UHD at 144hz.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 08:49 AM PDT

    I have a work laptop which supports UHD at 3840x2160 and 144hz. My gaming computer is connected to my monitor which supports the same, but only has one DisplayPort.

    I'm having a hard time finding US retailers that stock these switchers. Several are 4K at 120hz at best. Other retailers have them but aren't US-based or don't list prices.

    Any tips or ideas? I'm currently using HDMI for the laptop, which supports UHD but only at 60hz. My office budget is up to a couple hundred dollars for a switch that works.

    submitted by /u/AirportInSight
    [link] [comments]

    Msi 3090 Ventus 3x vs Gigabyte 3090 gaming oc

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    Which one is better at the same price and why ?

    Eg: which is quieter, which has better performance, which has better vram / memory junction temps ?

    submitted by /u/Adamj454545
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment