• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 30, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 30, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 30, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 30, 2021

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just watched a popular YouTubers(1.3m subs) FPS boost guide and man it was painful to watch. This guy is spreading misinformation by simply not knowing better.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 01:43 AM PDT

    He spends most of the video saying you should enable XMP, this is completely correct. You definitely should. However, this guy enables XMP, his PC crashes and instead of wondering what's causing the crash he just dials the RAM speed back a bit and goes "this is fine", just because you dial the speed back a bit and windows boots does not mean it's stable. This guy's clueless.

    I noticed his bios version said "version 0403", this is the very first bios version for his motherboard meaning he is missing out on a ton of stability and performance improvements. No wonder his PC crashes. And as for the windows settings part of the video he doesn't even mention some of the more impactful changes you can do.

    submitted by /u/Leo9991
    [link] [comments]

    I bought an RTX 2070 super and my friend is telling me to exchange it for his 3 gtx 1660 supers

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 05:59 AM PDT

    He says that I'll have 18 gigs of vram and taht it'll be better than my rtx 2070 super, is this true or is he scamming me? He wants my card so he can play rtx minecraft, as well as other games with the rtx restriction.

    submitted by /u/CallOfYeet
    [link] [comments]

    GPU temperature 100ºC

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 09:02 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I recently bought a graphics card (XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700XT CORE Gaming 12GB GDDR6) I have decided to do a limit testing in one of the games that in my opinion demands a lot graphically (Monster Hunter: World), I have played in 2k with the graphics at maximum, and the temperature of my GPU rose to 100ºC (and my CPU to 80ºC), is that normal? Or is it because I have played this type of game at max settings?

    submitted by /u/KevoSupremacy
    [link] [comments]

    Is zen 3 worth it?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 11:55 AM PDT

    Just like anyone else here, I'm always looking for something to upgrade. I was wondering if it was worth upgrading to either a Ryzen 5 5600x or possibly Ryzen 7 5800x?

    Current setup:

    Ryzen 5 3600 B450 16GB 3200mhz 3060ti 1tb 650w 1440p 165hz monitor

    I mainly play games such as COD, dota 2, assassin's Creed and other games. But my machine is also used for flight simulator most of the time, I'm a student pilot and it helps me practice when im home. How much difference will i see approximately?

    submitted by /u/SignificantWarning5
    [link] [comments]

    Ram and Case

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    Looking for a good deal on ram, sub $80 to be exact and sub $60 on a case, and suggestions?

    submitted by /u/mMachoman
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to build a pc with those sata ssd that laptop uses

    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 11:38 PM PDT

    Installing RGB strip?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    Hey I'm trying to install an RGB strip into my computer, my MOBO is ASUS Strix B350-f. The strip only has a 4 pin male connector, and what seems to be a 4 pin female connector, and It's a 12V led strip. I'm trying to plug the female end directly into the RGB header on the mobo, but it's not wanting to go in. What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/thesexyfork
    [link] [comments]

    Spark when I turned on my PC, how to securely and safely assess the problem? Nothing visually wrong.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    My WHOLE post just got deleted by safari not even Reddit.

    Anyhow, long story short, I went downstairs and came back to PC shut off, tried turning it back on, a spark came out one of the cables on the side, now I dont exactly paid attention I just went to shut it off completely, pain in the ass.

    I would show you pictures but you can't see anything, I havent touched it, want to be sure what safe procedures are.

    Also a spark could be of touching cables, but nothing is exposed, also is that a thing?

    Never had a problem like this, never, had an issue with my PC.

    Advice very needed. Ask what ever you need.

    submitted by /u/tom_w45
    [link] [comments]

    Is 80 degrees Celsius bad for RYZEN 5 3600

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 12:38 PM PDT

    If I had a dollar for every time my pc has restarted unexpectedly tonight, I'd have $36.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 07:11 AM PDT

    Hey fellow troubleshooters, I'm having some troubles and would appreciate some other opinions :)

    Today, everything was running smooth, playing the final day of Tarkov, no hassles, change over to play some Squad, and Bam, pc randomly shuts down.. weird.. but ok, reboot, start it all back up open squad, bam again. Basically, we are now at the stage of bam, booting, bam, booting, unlock, bam, booting, let's me open some temp things, open event viewer to see Kernel 41, bam.

    I have updated bios, and it seemed to shut-down even faster, so I downgraded it back, recently upgraded from i5-8400 on a b360dsh, to a 5600x on a b550 gaming edge,

    Tried using 2 sticks of ram, unplugging old hdd, all cords are good, psu isn't hot, gpu was slightly hot to touch initially, been running a bit tho, I am stumped, have tried to do the other stuff all over the interwebs, is it just my psu that has died, or is unable to keep up? Or did the intense graphics of squad overload something?

    TDLR: Gaming Pc keeps randomly shutting down acutely after 1900 today. Wondering if gpu or psu has died.

    submitted by /u/Tameuall
    [link] [comments]

    UPS for PC that will last at least 30 minutes

    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 11:39 PM PDT

    Power outages up to an hour happen multiple times a week for me so I'm looking for a UPS to power PC during them. But most of them seem to last just 15 minutes at most

    My PC is i5 3470 and RX 580 8GB if that matters

    submitted by /u/xCuri0
    [link] [comments]

    Fan stutters / slows down and makes loud sound for half a second every 90 seconds consistently. This has resulted in the pc shutting down once.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 10:14 AM PDT

    Why is it doing this consistently? I cleaned all the dust off it, no change. Made sure nothing was touching the fan (the sound reminds me of your finger gently touching the fan while spinning). I'd appreciate any help that anyone can provide. If no one can help my best solution would be to just remove the fan. I appreciate any help

    submitted by /u/XcoxMi
    [link] [comments]

    Will this build sustain 144fps and 1440p?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 10:10 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KDCwsX

    Not sure what monitor I will get but I want a pc build that can maintain a certain resolution and frame rate.

    Edit: My main goal is to play games like Warzone.

    submitted by /u/A1Rook
    [link] [comments]

    My HDD suddeny stopped working.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 11:35 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. So my HDD just failed on me. I have a SSD with all the most improtant stuff as well so the computer still runs. I was browsing through steam (which is saved on my HDD) when it suddenly stopped reacting and i noticed that my pc wouldn't see my HDD anymore. I then opened up my pc and first of all cleaned it and then i disconnected and then connected the HDD again. It still doesnt work. Before this the HDD seemed to work fine. I could open all my files and it also wasnt too slow or anything Soo yeah, i dont know if it is broken now or if it just isnt connected properly I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Spacedoche
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie build, thoughts?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi, UK based looking to build first gaming PC and want something that is a solid choice, any input appreciated.

    CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7 GHZ - 4.6 GHZ)

    Ram - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz (2x8GB)

    GPU - 8GB Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 TI

    Initial thoughts welcome, I have other parts picked but don't want to over load but feel free to ask any further questions!

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/dillion_panthers
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth upgrading my 2500k if I am still using a GTX 970?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 01:16 PM PDT

    I love my i5-2500k dearly but it is starting to show its age. I'd like to upgrade but is there a point if I'm not going to get a new GPU?

    I was looking at building a $500 to $600 AMD or Intel system... probably something like a 5600x or 11400f/10600k and just getting CPU/mobo/ram. I have a 1200p monitor and don't need to game on ultra high settings, but something medium would be nice.

    Should I save up more until I can get a GPU too or will this still be a sizable performance upgrade? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/luckyboxes
    [link] [comments]

    Hey everyone I was wondering if there is a updated guide on how to update/maintain the software for each component of your pc to make sure its running as optimally as possible. Maybe some information on how often to update software for parts, when it's necessary etc.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    need to extend the space between my front panel and my case [for better airflow]

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    https://i.ibb.co/q1YBTM4/IMG-20210630-215749.jpg

    Is there anything that can be used to "extend" this "click in/out" connection of the case & panel? If so, what is the name or what would I be looking for?

    Even just an extra 5mm or so way of extension will fix my problem.

    Any advice much appreciated

    submitted by /u/nderrated_comment
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, I'm looking to build a gaming pc. It's gonna be the first time I do it. So far I've been looking at this components, but I'm not sure if they are "compatible" with each other or if there are better options. Thanks in advance.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 11:00 AM PDT

    MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX - Placa Base Performance Gaming (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX) https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07V9L4RT6/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_glt_i_7R3N5688KD6EFSFDW7RT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, Procesador con Disipador de Calor Wraith Prism (36 MB, 8 Núcleos, Velocidad de 4.4GHz, 65W) https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07SXMZLPK/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_glt_i_C7C1HAH9AWSW3805XRPB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4R 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Memoria Gamer para Ordenadores de sobremesa, 16GB (8GB x2), CL15, Rojo https://www.amazon.es/dp/B083TTCSHB/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_glt_i_KAHM7TFSR66ED7926AW2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    Nfortec Lynx - Torre Gaming Compatible con placas ATX, Mini-ATX e ITX y Ventilador RGB Incluido en la Parte Trasera, Negra RGB (cristal templado) https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07PJZ9NJY/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_glt_i_XBYVNS0PQNY9C0NG8572?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    ASUS PH-GT1030-O2G - Tarjeta gráfica (NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, 2 GB GDDR5, 1920 x 1200 Pixeles, 1252 MHz, 1506 MHz) Color Negro https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0727WGG3F/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_glt_i_WP6VD3D3B7AG76HQTR8R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 Disco Duro sólido Interno SSD de 1TB, de hasta 2400 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2) https://www.amazon.es/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_glt_i_HMGX2BJ1XYX4Z09V9ABD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    Edit:

    My power supply is this one: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07VL3BYGP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_EKPEVJ4Z3G0CEGNNYZZM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    I will mostly use it for Video/photo editing & videogames.

    I will like to spend less than 700€ if possible

    submitted by /u/kendrish
    [link] [comments]

    I removed my GPU w/o undoing the PCIe latch/clip; now peripherals get no power & no video out

    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 05:26 PM PDT

    Edit: Thank you to everyone who commented - it's embarrassing I borked my rig this hard, but thanks to everyone for the help. Let's re-build this PC - aka replace the mobo.

    First things first, I want to acknowledge that this was *incredibly* dumb - you don't need to tell me that again. Second, the tl;dr of this post is "did I murder and need to replace my mobo and/or GPU?" with a description of events below.

    The short version of what happened is my RTX 2060 Super (purchased May 2020) has been crashing (fans to insane RPMs + loss of output) with increasing frequency for the last ~3 months. So I wanted to remove it and see if the fans were all gunked up or something. I couldn't reach/find the PCIe latch/lever/clip thing, and yanked on my GPU till it came out (again, I know this was dumb). After a little vacuuming of the fans, I put it bag into my mobo and rebooted my PC.

    There was no video output, which didn't surprise me entirely because I'm pretty sure I just murdered that PCIe slot. But neither my mouse nor my keyboard got power. I have a GMMK with LEDs, so it's very easy to tell when it's getting powered up. I thought that maybe I had dislodged some small power cables from the mobo, but couldn't find anything amiss, so I'm really grasping at straws here trying to figure out what's wrong.

    I'm not totally sure that the mobo is borked, though, because all of my components still have power running to them - GPU fans are spinning, main cooler fan is spinning, and my RAM lights up with RGB - but not a single USB port will supply power to my mouse or keyboard. And I've used them with my laptop in the interim, so I know they still work.

    Given the state of the component market right now, I don't want to try to solve this by buying and replacing components, so I'm hoping that my PCMR elders can give me a little help diagnosing and fixing this issue.

    submitted by /u/brahgg
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy a gaming pc with the money I have saved or keep saving

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 12:57 PM PDT

    Listen I've worked this summer and made around 2000$ so far I have always been so into gaming. I have a pc right now that's about 6 years old. I can still play a lot of games on it but recently it's really slowed down startup takes forever and there's a lot of games I can no longer play that I want too. I really think buying a new pc could give me another hobby as-well. But when I've asked about to people tell me to just save my money for some scenario or another that might happen but I think that me being 16 this i have like two more years where I can game and have the free time before I won't. Plus I have another month in summer where I can make atleast another 1000$. What do you guys think? Edit: forgot to mention I've got the rest of the setup already that I built up over the years ie, nice computer chair, two monitors, headset, mechanical keyboard, mic.

    submitted by /u/__Holdmybeer__
    [link] [comments]

    radeon wattman settings have been restored

    Posted: 30 Jun 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    r9 290, 21.5.2, everything is updated on my pc

    also happened with the last amd update

    within a couple minutes of playing, my screen will go black and then it'll crash. Ive looked everywhere online and tried countless things and nothing has worked so far. any help will be nice.

    submitted by /u/xXxDarkW0lfxXx
    [link] [comments]

    I know this has been discussed before, but is 90 C really okay for Ryzen?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 07:04 PM PDT

    While doing the Blender BMW CPU test, my 5800x was sitting at a spicy 90 C the whole time with the fans on my Kraken x63 at max. I know AMD says it's okay, but it just seems like a lot. I don't want to undervolt and hinder performance (even though it doesn't hinder it too much) but I will if it's not okay. As long as it doesn't damage it or ruin the lifespan I'm fine with it getting hot.

    submitted by /u/ItsRedephant
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment