• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 26, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 26, 2021

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Please don’t be like me and just do the obvious things when building a pc

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 09:54 AM PDT

    So about 2 weeks ago, I built my very first pc. It ran fine except I was still waiting for a gpu. When it came, I popped it into the system and it was fine. Until i actually went to benchmark it and my pc shut off and power cycled. So I just blamed it on a faulty power supply and got a new one. Well, I opened my pc up again today because I remembered my friend told me that I didn't have to plug in both connectors into the psu for my 24 pin cable because his pc didn't need to. I plugged the second one in and guess what? It works fine now. TLDR: PLUG IN EVERY CABLE REGARDLESS OF WHAT FRIENDS TELL U

    Edit: To everyone saying to read the manual, the manual was literally a page that showed what came with the psu and what went where which I knew already, I just didn't plug in the 24 pin properly into my psu. Also can yall stop flaming by friend lmao he tried his best

    submitted by /u/RewindedHaven
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a good RAM

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 07:26 AM PDT

    I dont know much about ram and I have a 5800x and a rtx 3070ti and want to know what the best ram i can possibly get is

    My budget is around $200 ish (a little over is fine though)

    submitted by /u/TA648438
    [link] [comments]

    If i hit my desk my pc crashes

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 04:52 AM PDT

    So i have built a new pc recently and i noticed that when i am just watching youtube or playing games whenever i accidentally hit my desk my pc crashes.This is very frustrating because i have no clue how it happens.Please help

    Edit:" when i mean crash it freezes my screen, and if i happen to be playing something like youtube or just music it will give a long hrrrrrrrrr sound untel i force shut it off.And for the people wondering about a gpu not seated correcly i do no have a gpu i have intergraded graphics because of the gpu shortage.\
    And how did this get 50 upvotes wtf

    submitted by /u/XenoDash_
    [link] [comments]

    Bricked my machine with secure boot. I think...

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 05:39 AM PDT

    Hey folks

    I made some BIOS changes last night (Secure boot to see if I could try out Win 11), now PC won't boot at all - EZ Debug LED is on 'Boot', and I'm getting no display whatsoever so can't get into BIOS to do anything. Have taken out battery and shorted JBAT1. No joy. Also tried with different monitor, cables, and graphics card. Any thoughts?

    If I pop a USB in with a BIOS update it boots without the EZ Debug LED being lit, but I still have no display to judge what's actually happening.

    A320m, Ryzen 1600, RTX 2070s for reference, but don't think it'll have much bearing in the solution

    submitted by /u/addyjoe
    [link] [comments]

    Is ryzen 7 3700x a good cpu ?

    Posted: 25 Jun 2021 10:12 PM PDT

    I'm building a pc and i don't want to upgrade it Untill like 4 years later, is the 3700x good? Will it hold out for 4 years ?

    Not the best CPU but my budget is not much and i don't prefer intel cpus.

    EDIT : Thanks for all the help, this community is one of my favorites , helped me a lot to find the pc that i want and i think i changed my mind, if 5600x is better for gaming as everyone says, I'll be buying it then

    Stay safe y'all :)

    submitted by /u/Amin2006i
    [link] [comments]

    How long will last AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 3060

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 08:14 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I am building a PC in order to play, and I needed to know if this config would last at least 4-5 years without any issues? I plan on playing at 1080p@120fps, maybe 1440@60fps for some games. As a former console player I would like this PC to last a few years without having to change the components every 6 months to continue playing with high/ultra settings. I also have 16Gb DDR4 corsair RAM (2x8), and a SSD. Needless to say, I'm quite new to the universe of PC gaming.

    I am a solo RPG player, and I'd really like to be able to appreciate how beautiful some games are today (Horizon Zero Dawn for instance). I'd like this config to run upcoming games flawlessly (Elden Ring, MH Rise etc.) And I'd also like casually playing competitive games like Valorant, Apex, Warzone and such.

    Currently I'm playing Biomutant/Genshin impact/Apex for example.

    Would this config run Cyberpunk well? Will I be able to play with RTX on, at least with some games?

    If I ask all these questions it's because I already have most of the components (Ryzen 5, RAM, SSD etc.) and I orderer the RTX 3060 just today, it will be delivered Monday but now, after reading some articles, I'm afraid I should have orderered a 3060TI instead or maybe something above.

    Up to now, I was playing with a GTX 1050.

    Thanks in advance for you advices, and just correct me if I made some mistakes, I'm french and new to computer gaming.

    submitted by /u/Narrator-voice
    [link] [comments]

    1080p 240 vs 1440p 165 (185 overclock)

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 09:26 AM PDT

    Wich do you guys think is better overall I play competitive and only play FPS games

    I saw benchmarks and for 1440p on warzone I get 120-130 ultra settings and on 1080p I get 135-150 FPS on ultra settings

    submitted by /u/Majestic_Error6109
    [link] [comments]

    I got a pre-built and not sure if it's great.

    Posted: 25 Jun 2021 10:16 PM PDT

    So before the pandemic I got a pre-built for college work from home. Now that I've finished my year and it's summer I want to game on it. It's got a 2080super (not sure where this lies in the card family is this good or the budget one?). It also came with a i7-9700k, all air cooled. It seems to run loud when I run games with an fps cap at 75 (because my monitor). Is this normal? For context I do have an ultra wide and usually try max settings. Should I be looking into water cooling for gaming on this rig? What temp should I expect to be seeing without it? And it only came with one stick of ram which I was made clearly aware of and already upgraded that to a satisfying dual set. It has a really interesting m.2 slot that has room for two drives (only one comes with) but it actually connects to a pcie slot instead of directly to the mother board. Does this have limitations I should be aware of? The MSRP was around 1800 and looking at the same build now it's 2,800 so I definitely dodged the price bullet at least.

    submitted by /u/HereToDoThingz
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics Card Shortage

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 03:37 PM PDT

    Hi Everyone, I recently noticed that the GPUs were starting to come back to stock, I was wondering if I will be able to get a 1650 to a 1660 super by early August at MSRP.

    submitted by /u/mvmpc
    [link] [comments]

    Are dual monitors ideal for gaming?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 06:36 AM PDT

    Hi I am getting a new monitor for dual monitor setup. My question is if i play game on one monitor, while the other monitor is idle, and i move the mouse pointer towards the other monitor screen, will the cursor appear on the other monitor? Or will it restricted to Hover only over the main monitor, until i pause the game or minimize it, also are dual monitors ideal for gaming?

    submitted by /u/Redscars12
    [link] [comments]

    Is msi mag coreliquid 240r sufficient for cooling an 11600k?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 07:19 AM PDT

    Just as the title says, is coreliquid 240r sufficient or do i need a 360r for the 11600k?

    submitted by /u/Pyrpox
    [link] [comments]

    Cant factory reset?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 11:12 AM PDT

    I inherited my brothers pc and I'm trying to factory reset it but every time I try it says there is an issue resetting it. It's running windows 10 and I have tried resetting it with a flash drive with windows 10 on it as well.

    submitted by /u/Sea-Yogurtcloset-834
    [link] [comments]

    Is a cheap motherboard affecting my performance?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 09:33 AM PDT

    I currently have a 3080, 3700x, and 16 gigs of ram running at 2933 mhz, as that's as stable an overclock as I can get. However, I currently have a gigabyte b450 DS3H motherboard. I feel like my performance on certain games is below what it should be, and I notice that I get absolutely no change in frames when dropping from 1440p to 1080p, or even going up to 4k in certain cenarios. Is it possible that my motherboard is holding me back a bit, whether it be with the vrms or something else?

    submitted by /u/UpTight_
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a new pc and monitor, says it’s 1440p but is there any way to verify that?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    I have the Dell - S3220DGF monitor, it's supposed to be 1440p but I can't quite tell the difference from my 1080p laptop. Any way I can check other than going into settings? Do I need to go somewhere to turn on 1440p like how I have to turn on 165hz?

    submitted by /u/NovaSiva11037
    [link] [comments]

    Help on purchasing a monitor as a High Schooler

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Need help on my decision for which monitor to buy. Im a high schooler and I need a new monitor since one isnt enough for my workflow. I also like to produce music in my freetime so that could possibly impact my decision. My PC can run 2 4Ks at its maximum i believe. My choices are a 34 inch ultrawide, dual 27 inch 1080p, or dual/single 27 inch 4k. Insight needed.

    submitted by /u/National_Economics_5
    [link] [comments]

    not displaying on monitor

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 02:01 PM PDT

    now i have another problem. it wont display on my monitor. ive checked my monitor, RAM, everything, but it still wont display. i'm starting to get annoyed. please help :)

    submitted by /u/darkgrays
    [link] [comments]

    GPU recommendation for AI research in 2021?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    I'm doing a Masters degree in Artificial Intelligence after the summer, and I think my old macbook has run its course for this purpose. GPU prices are insane, and I would not even know what a fine GPU for current AI research (in PyTorch or similar libs) with large datasets would look like. Hoping for any advice or some experiences shared from you all, thank you! :)

    submitted by /u/Arfarsus
    [link] [comments]

    To Build or to Wait? That is the question.

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 10:10 AM PDT

    So I've been looking to upgrade for a while now but was planning to travel to Japan for the Olympics so decided to upgrade after my trip (which was postponed a year and now cant happen full stop due to travel restrictions still being in place). So I plan to use the money i was gonna use for my trip on upgrading.

    Unfortunately its now kinda put me in a tough spot, AM4 seems to be on its last legs in terms of future CPU releases. LGA1200 seems to be a 1 year thing if you believe the info online. DDR5 and PCIe5.0 are closer than when i originally planned the build.

    So should i build now on what seem to be end of life sockets (and a lack of support for DDR5) or should i wait till this time next year and decide to build/plan a build for the new hardware?

    My current PC isn't bad (7700k 1080ti) but i'm starting to see considerable drop in either frames or quality. (I'm used to 4k ultra and am having to drop to high on most games now) I do need to replace some parts as both my raid hard drives have failed once (though they're hanging on to some degree) and i need to increase my OS SSD size as its getting a tad full.

    With Windows 11 on the horizon i kinda just want a clean build with mostly new parts (wont replace my PSU as its perfectly fine and dependable) but at the same time i don't want to buy into end of life parts for an upgrade that i want to last 5+ years (plus GPUs are still way too expensive atm) when i can just make do for a year or so...

    Whats everyone's thoughts? Do you have any info that i've missed regarding new hardware on the horizon?

    submitted by /u/ianh16
    [link] [comments]

    hows this for a mid range build?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 03:58 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FhGxjp is this good for a pc build? I'm looking for good price but still good performance, also i didn't add a monitor because im gonna buy a good 1080p 60hz monitor

    submitted by /u/SSsulaiman
    [link] [comments]

    Is i5-4460 natively compatible with this motherboard

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    PC freezes in a weird way after rebuild

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 01:37 PM PDT

    After rebuilding my PC (had to unplug GPU and detach the motherboard completely to add a new CPU cooler) PC freezes after 5-10 mins.

    The odd bit is after first trying to power the PC it would not POST to monitor/keyboard etc. I reseated the RAM and it finally powered on normally but now freezes a few minutes in. Another odd bit, is that it still kinda works (for example in the middle of the game the image is not completely frozen) but appears to just not take any input from keyboard and mouse

    Any ideas what could be happening?

    submitted by /u/edrdos
    [link] [comments]

    How to transfer files from M.2 Nvme to another

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    I have a Samsung 970 evo plus 250gb as my boot drive. I got gifted a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB but im not sure how to transfer or clone to the new one. I have a b550 board, could I just the 1tb into the second m.2 slot and clone from there? And also what software is most reliable?

    submitted by /u/PWRbutton_1
    [link] [comments]

    GPU

    Posted: 26 Jun 2021 03:14 PM PDT

    Can anyone tell me a gpu around $130 or ₹10,000. P.S. Is Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Edition good??

    submitted by /u/Sagniger
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment