• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 16, 2021

    Hardware support: Welcoming new moderators to /r/hardware!

    Hardware support: Welcoming new moderators to /r/hardware!


    Welcoming new moderators to /r/hardware!

    Posted: 16 May 2021 12:17 AM PDT

    Just a short announcement for the results of the moderator recruitment; 3 people were deemed suitable candidates:

    /u/MasterHWilson

    /u/dweller_12

    /u/Evilbred

    I'd like to express our welcome to the new moderators, and I hope that you can cooperate with them in participating in /r/hardware especially when they are still learning about the job.

    submitted by /u/Nekrosmas
    [link] [comments]

    Nvidia Marbles RTX Hands-On: A Vision For The Future Of Ray Tracing? (Digital Foundry)

    Posted: 15 May 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    [Hardware Unboxed] Ryzen 7 5800X vs Core i7 11700K, 32 Game Benchmark

    Posted: 15 May 2021 04:04 AM PDT

    [Hardware Unboxed] Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q-X Monitor Review (1440p, 240Hz, IPS)

    Posted: 15 May 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    Smach Z handheld gaming PC probably won't ever ship

    Posted: 15 May 2021 02:34 AM PDT

    Bigger Budget, Better Cooling? Enermax ETS-F40 & Scythe Mugen 5 Black Ed. Review

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:25 PM PDT

    Are "modern" CPU's designed for overclocking?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 08:52 AM PDT

    What I mean is, do the manufacturers who make these CPU's do so with both the intent and expectation that the user will overclock them?

    It has been my conclusion that even with proficient cooling, overclocking accelerates wear on components at a rate that is faster than I'd prefer. This of course ties into long-term stability. When I get a blue screen, I don't want to have to question "is this at all due to my overclock." I once had an old Athlon XP 1800+ that never ran cool after overclocking it, even after I restored the default BIOS settings. Perhaps I damaged a resistor on the motherboard or screwed up a thermistor? It was always a chronically hot CPU, so that is also a probable factor. Beyond that, I've overclocked a GPU or two with better results but not enough to really justify doing so as a matter of policy.

    I just got a pretty decent deal on an i9-9900k and he also threw in an MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS motherboard for $300.

    My original roadmap involved moving on from my FX-8350 to one of the new Ryzens (I was really considering the Ryzen 3950x or it's similar half-priced little sibling). I obviously couldn't resist the deal for the i9 despite my AMD brand loyalty due to price and performance.

    I remember when I bought my Phenom II x2 in '08, the board was equipped with a lot of weird overclocking features. Then when I got my FX-8350 with an MSI 990FX-GD80 board, the thing also had a dedicated "easy overclocking button". I never had any interest in bothering if the reward was marginal and required me to have a better cooling setup. As for the any concerns about wear and tear.... the box for one of my MSI Boards basically said "this will last you 40 years if you don't OC and "will last 10 years if you do OC it."

    All of this was a far cry from the old-world mentality.

     

    TL;DR:

    It's obvious that manufacturers now support or at least encourage overclocking, they certainly don't discourage it.

    Does this mean that the i9 and the mobo will actually hold-up for my long-term use? Is it still an expectation that OC'ing will shorten the lifespan of components?

    submitted by /u/djronnieg
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment