• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 15, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 15, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 15, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 15, 2021

    Posted: 15 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to turn off and on your pc multiple times a day

    Posted: 15 May 2021 08:21 AM PDT

    As promised, my upgraded setup using the water charity RTX 3080!

    Posted: 15 May 2021 08:47 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/q0zLNS4

    I got it up and running yesterday and installing it and seeing it light up for the first time was an absolute pleasure! I upgraded my 550W psu to a rmx750 and it's been running great! I also upgraded my 1080p 144hz monitor to a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor and I can't believe my eyes! I've only played Cold War so far but it's been every bit of amazing as I thought it would be. I plan on going back through cyberpunk and control to really see what ray tracing at 1440 can do. Once again thank you to pcpartpicker and nvidia and everyone who donated to this great cause. And of course thank you to the greatest community on the internet! I am so very lucky, I feel like I just hit the lottery.

    Build:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FBfPqp

    submitted by /u/theklausmcbane
    [link] [comments]

    First pc build

    Posted: 15 May 2021 06:48 AM PDT

    First of all i want to thank reddit, without you it would not have been possible, sorry for my messy room. I need to cabel manage and clean my room. I'm just done. Specs are gpu: 1060 6gb, 16 gb ram 3200 cpu: amd ryzen 3600, Mobo: B450 aoros pro case is a deepcool mesh case. I have 6 fans, 3 exhaust 3 intake (1 back 2 top 3 front )

    Images:

    https://ibb.co/9Vhxt6h

    https://ibb.co/XtK5NJV

    https://ibb.co/gvS2vHp

    And again, thanks a bunch reddit ! Most people on reddit are really nice and i hate that a lot of people on the internet make fun of people who use reddit. This is a good place for questions and to hang out ! Thhank you so much reddit

    forgot to say that i tested it in gta 5 and cod warzone, all settings on ultra. Except for the ones that don't have ultra. I got over 120 fps. Idk why but at the loading screens i get 250 fps...

    submitted by /u/Stearye
    [link] [comments]

    Took me forever, but finally done. Tower 900 | 3080 | 5900X

    Posted: 15 May 2021 03:59 PM PDT

    Pics - https://imgur.com/a/6g1gFC5

    Where to start… I guess the parts first then the rest.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LC2sBc

    Computer:

    • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
      • TechN CPU Waterblock AMD AM4 (waterblock)
    • Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard
    • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
    • Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB AORUS MASTER Video Card
      • Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3080/3090 Aorus Master/Xtreme with Backplate (waterblock)
    • Thermaltake Tower 900 ATX Full Tower Case
    • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

    Cooling:

    • ARCTIC BioniX P140-140 mm x8
    • Phanteks Halos Lux Digital LED 140mm Fan Frame Alum x2
    • Noctua NF-A14 PWM x2
    • Singularity Computers Protium D5 Pump Cover x2
    • Singularity Computers Protium D5 Pump Top x2
    • Singularity Computers Protium – 300mm x2
    • Singularity Computers Protium Vertical Mount x2
    • Singularity Computers Protium D5 PWM Pump x2
    • Black Ice Nemesis 560GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator x2
    • Bitspower Non-champher Crystal Link 16mm OD Tube Length 1000mm
    • EKWB EK-Tube Zero Maintenance Soft Tubing 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, 3 Meter
    • Mayhems X1 Coolant Premix, 5000mL, UV Red
    • Mayhems Pastel Nano PC Coolant Concentrate, 250mL, Pastel UV White

    Fittings:

    • Barrow G1/4" Thread 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD Soft Tube Compression Fitting x14
    • Barrow G1/4" Thread Female to Female Pass-Through Fitting x6
    • Barrow G1/4" 90 Degree Rotary Adapter Fitting x6
    • Barrow G1/4" 90 Degree Male to Female Angled Adaptor Fitting x4
    • Barrow G1/4" 45 Degree Dual Rotary Adapter Fitting x8
    • Barrow G1/4" Male to Male Anti-Twist Rotary Adapter Fitting x4
    • Barrow G1/4" 40mm Female to Female Extension Fitting x2
    • Barrow G1/4" 40mm Male to Female Extension Fitting x2
    • Barrow G1/4" Thread 4-Way Block Splitter Fitting x2
    • Barrow Choice Compression Fitting - 16mm OD Rigid Tubing x12
    • Barrow Mini Valve x2
    • Barrow Stop Plug Fitting With Coin Slot x4
    • Bitspower G 1/4" Matte Black Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting x2

    Random Stuff:

    • PrimoChill RFB Rigid Tubing Finishing Bit - 12mm ID x 16mm OD
    • Aquacomputer OCTO fan controller for PWM-fan
    • Phobya Filling Bottle 500ml PE-LD
    • Monsoon Hardline Pro Mandrel Kit 1/2 x 5/8 (16mm)
    • Aquacomputer RGBpx adapter for components with mainboard connection x2
    • GeeekPi 5 Inch Capacitive Touch Screen 800x480 HDMI Monitor
    • Short FPV Flat Slim Thin Ribbon FPC Cable Micro USB 90 Degree to Standard USB A
    • EKWB EK-Leak Tester
    • BLACK+DECKER Heat Gun, Dual Temperature

    Now for more info about the whole process:

    • I have been warned that the Tower 900 is big but not too comfortable to work with. I didn't believe those people (how can it be the case, it is huge!). I was wrong. I think if done right it can look good, but it is NOT a good case to work with. I personally hated it.
    • Soft tubing > hard tubing. Never again I am going to do hardline. Yes, hard can look better. No, it is not that big of a deal. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.
    • Water cooling a PC is expensive as fuck. I was way too deep at some point, but if I could go back I would still watercool it but pick a shitty ugly small case, external rads, soft tubing, and save the $1,000+ to buy some whiskey or beer or steaks or whatever. All of those are more fun than bending tubes and rotating fittings.
    • Singularity Computers is the shit. Expensive, but to me it was worth the money. Simple and looks good and super convenient.
    • Fuck the scalpers. Everything was collecting dust for 6-9 months while trying to get the CPU and GPU daily. Dark Hero wasn't easy either.
    • I am pretty sure CableMod fried my PSU at some point. Had to replace it. Maybe it was me, but it stopped working instantly with the new CableMod extensions.
    • Bold stuff from the lists are things I never used. EKWB EK-Leak Tester is the biggest waste of money/time.
    • Words cannot describe how good Aquacomputer is. Both the hub and the software. Will never ever go back to anything else. Absolutely perfect.
    • Making my own acrylic tray for the tube passings took me the longest. No idea why, people say it is super simple. I struggled with it the most.

    CONCLUSION:

    Temps are great. Performance is great. Learned a lot. Will definitely water cool the next one, just not for beauty but for performance. My previous build was 2700x 2080Ti and this new one feels and performs way way way better (cooler, quitter, more stable, etc.). Zero regrets about ditching air cooling. Pretty regretful that I chose to try to make it a good looking build. I am sure that with the right tools and some experience, semi complex builds are simple and fun. I am not there yet, not sure if I ever get there.

    I think that's all, big big thanks to a few people who helped me a lot at the beginning of the process (long time ago).

    /u/w1ndzjzu

    /u/m4ttr1k4n

    /u/xmetal138

    /u/MadMuirder

    /u/Scribbinge

    /u/MrMordenShadow

    /u/Weppe1983

    Feel free asking me any questions if you have any. Have a great weekend!

    submitted by /u/nsoifer
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor leaking fluid?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 10:29 AM PDT

    Hey, i just noticed that my LG 27GL850-B is leaking fluid at the bottom of the panel? Never seen or heard of this before but i read somewhere that it might be a broken capacitor. Does anyone know what's happening here?

    submitted by /u/Peterei3
    [link] [comments]

    PC fried after lightning storm

    Posted: 15 May 2021 03:01 PM PDT

    I don't know much about PC building and this is my first Reddit post so I've been struggling a bit with writing this, just ask if you need me to clarify something or give more info.

    My PC was fried during a lightning storm earlier this week. It wouldn't turn on after the power came back so I unplugged it and opened it up. There was a burning smell coming from the PSU, and after opening it today I saw a black spot around where it was fried. Everything else in the PC looks fine, there aren't any burn marks, and and the capacitors look normal.

    I plugged the external drive into my laptop and it seemed to be working properly. The PyCharm project I was working on when the lightning hit was also completely fine. I tested the GPU on my older system and the DVI port doesn't seem to be working, but switching to HDMI works fine, though there might be some lag. I haven't tested if the RAM sticks work yet. I also had a mouse, a keyboard, and HTC Vive Pro, and a Logitech G920 set connected to the PC, and they're all functioning properly.

    Is it safe to try and boot up the fried PC with the older PC's weaker power supply? I'd like to know whether or not the PSU is the only damaged part before I buy a replacement, but I read somewhere using a too weak PSU can damage a PC's drives. Is the GPU broken or is the older system just too weak for it to work properly? How do I find out which parts of my PC are still working?

    Here are the relevant specs I could find for the PCs

    PC Hit By Lightning, Predator Orion 3000:

    Intel Core i7-9700, RTX-2070, 16GB RAM, 500W PSU

    The older PC, Lenovo Legion Y520 Desktop (I think):

    GTX 1060, Intel Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, 280W PSU

    They were both bought pre-built, and I haven't upgraded either one.

    Update: my PC made it out alive, yay! Now I just need to buy a new PSU and a surge protector

    submitted by /u/LuciferDeFallen
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth going to a 3060 Ti to a 3070 for 1440p or no?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 05:09 PM PDT

    Today I realized I fucked up for 2 years

    Posted: 15 May 2021 02:39 AM PDT

    TL;DR : check dual channel on your RAM

    I asked a PC shop to build a pc for me with parts I choosed in 2018. I did some benchmark when I got it and I thought it was a bit slower that what it should be but didn't think much.

    This week I moved to a new apartment and did new benchmark today

    Again they where under-performing but I remembered a comment I received on a previous question I asked on this matter. So I checked the ram and yeah the PC shop configured it in single channel.

    I changed RAM slot, configured XMP and here's the new benchmark. This time pretty much everything improved but the RAM oh boy, final comparison pic

    I used my pc and played lots of games for three years with my pc in this state... btw I played some games and yep I got 20% more fps on average... so check if your RAM is properly configured, it means a lot.

    submitted by /u/DevilScarlet
    [link] [comments]

    For cases with two top fans, wouldn't it make alot more sense to make one push and the other pull to give the cpu fresh air? Come and see what I mean with my awesome paint skills

    Posted: 15 May 2021 05:14 PM PDT

    Never tested it but I image A makes alot more sense than B

    As promised my awesome MS Paint skills (imgur)

    submitted by /u/captain_cocaine86
    [link] [comments]

    Out of the loop for 9 years. 2500k to AMD.

    Posted: 15 May 2021 01:29 PM PDT

    My 2500k rig is on its last legs, with memory issues. I haven't been in the market or kept up with the compenent environment in years. I'm looking for some input. I work with large excel data sets which have taken my rig to its knees and occasionally play games that aren't super demanding. (AOE 3, Civilization, and the occasional battlefield). Here is my proposed rig, being up in the air on some parts. Also, I'm trying as hard as I can to stay away from RGB. I don't want a PC that glows like a rainbow.

    CPU: Ryzen 5600x or 5900x. Not sure which way to go on this one, but don't want to be obsolete in 5 years.

    Cooler: A 212 or some 240mm closed loop that I can find on sale.

    Mobo: Asrock B550 Pro4 or Gigabyte Arous Pro V2. I don't need a ton of USB ports and only plan on using 1 nvme and then sata SSDs storage but I would like a USB C header.

    GPU: Reusing a Radeon 7950 until the crazy GPU prices subside.

    HDD: Hk Hynix P31 1Tb or Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1tb. I'm not sure if I would benefit from moving to a faster nvme with my usage.

    Optical: Recycled from current rig or None.

    Memory: Crucial or G skill 16gb DDR4-3600 kit. I'm not sure if going for Samsung B-dies would be of any benefit or worth the cost.

    PSU: Recyled Seasonic 650w Gold or Corsair 750 bronze that I have laying around.

    Case: Nzxt H510, has USB C in front and doesn't look like something from Star Wars.

    Monitor: Currently running dual 1080p 27" but planning to upgrade to 27" 1440P in the immediate future.

    submitted by /u/East_Communication82
    [link] [comments]

    What ram should I buy?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 04:59 PM PDT

    From what I can tell intell.com states that the max memory type supported by the cpu (i9-11900kf) is 3200mhz. However I saw a benchmarking video on youtube where op had 2x8gbs of 4000mhz in his i9-10900k and 3080.

    Will my pc function with 2x8gb of 4000mhz? Also, would there be noticeable difference in performance between 3200mhz v 4000mhz for my system?

    I have a z590 pro wifi, i9-11900kf and 3080. Also, I only want a total of 16gbs.

    submitted by /u/K4MP1NK4RL
    [link] [comments]

    Is a crosshair hero (wifi) x570 a good motherboard for this setup?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 06:29 PM PDT

    Rtx 3080,

    Ryzen 9 5900x,

    Corsair vengeance rgb pro (4x8gb) 3600hz Cl 16,

    Corsair AX series AX850,

    Corsair h115i rgb platinum,

    Corsair crystal series 680x,

    Corsair ll120 (3)

    Samsung 980 pro (1 tb)

    Also, do all the components fit well with each other? Should I change some of them (haven't buy them yet)?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Recent_Quail8813
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on replacing an old failing vid card

    Posted: 15 May 2021 04:52 PM PDT

    I built my PC 8-9 years ago and have a 660Ti in it that is failing. I'm running a i5-4670k. Any suggestions on what a card to replace this one would be that is not expensive and available.

    Games I frequently play are oxygen not included, total war, rimworld, sod2, stardew valley, stellaris, and stuff like that generally.

    submitted by /u/averyboringday
    [link] [comments]

    Building a PC with accessibility in mind

    Posted: 15 May 2021 02:51 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I've gotten a request from my sister that she would like a computer to be built for her. She's not a gamer, but she is visually impaired. I'm not sure a desktop computer is the best fit for her, as well. The only requirements she's given me is that it must support:

    Zoomtext, Dragon, Quicken, and Office365.

    The last two I'd imagine would easily work on any computer, but I'll admit, I haven't thought about making a computer with accessibility in mind before, and was wondering if there were additional tips that might make sense?

    For example, does voice recognition software require a lot of cores, or is it just the speed of the individual threads that matter?

    I figure that 16GB of memory should be sufficient, but other than that, I'm not really sure.

    Would a laptop be better than building a pc in this case? I'm not sure what makes sense. Any generalized advice would be good, I'm just trying to get a big picture look at how to best approach this.

    submitted by /u/NormalPersonNumber3
    [link] [comments]

    M2 2230 too short for X570

    Posted: 15 May 2021 04:02 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I have a spare M2 2230 drive and notice that its too short for my second X570 M2 slot.. It fits, but it doesnt stay down..

    Is there anyway this can down? Like I was searching for a heatsink cover but couldn't find one.. How does one make sure this SSD is clamped down?

    Normally M2 2280 fits and able to clamped down via screw, but this is too short. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/vvavepacket
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi and sound card?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 02:33 PM PDT

    Hey so I probably sound like an idiot to most people on here but what's good for a WIFI card and what's good for a sound card? Any suggestions for a budget build (£900)?

    submitted by /u/Heyheyhey11111111
    [link] [comments]

    Best "budget" gaming keyboard?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    I bought a $15 mechanical keyboard for my first build because I wasn't sure if this was something I would really get in to. Well, a complete rebuild later it's definitely time for an upgrade. I'm just not sure I want to spend $150 plus on a keyboard. I'm looking for suggestions for a budget to mid range keyboard. TIA!

    submitted by /u/Sry2Disappoint
    [link] [comments]

    Got 1080ti as a gift - First Build

    Posted: 15 May 2021 07:43 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    A buddy of mine gifted a 1080ti to me, and I wanted to start my first build to game with it. I'm still doing research on everything myself, but I thought you all could get me started a lot quicker. I plan to really just play FPS games like Apex and Overwatch on it. What would you all recommend?

    submitted by /u/DENISONIAN027
    [link] [comments]

    Finally finished my pink PC after half a year of hoarding parts and struggling to assemble it!

    Posted: 15 May 2021 11:24 AM PDT

    It's not the fastest PC, it's not the highest performing PC, but it is mine, I built it with my own two hands to fit my aesthetic, and it's not perfectly polished but it's exactly what I want it to be! I'm grateful for this sub helping me when I had questions about my build!!

    Pic of the build: https://imgur.com/a/6afph9R

    Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2mNWRT

    submitted by /u/Cal_PChelp
    [link] [comments]

    I've been planning on building a pc for a while now, and after watching some youtube videos and taking advice from others, I compiled a list on pcpartpicker. Coming from a less experienced pc builder, is this build good? If you notice the lack of case fans, it's bc the case already comes with them

    Posted: 15 May 2021 04:40 PM PDT

    Motherboard with 10gb NIC - buy crazy expensive aorus xtreme ($700) or cheaper motherboard and add Intel NIC (~$150) ?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 04:37 PM PDT

    I've been wrestling with this idea for a while now.

    I have 10gb LAN at home for connection to my servers, and I have been using the 2.5gb NIC on my motherboard - however I am building a new workstation.

    I can get say a Asus Dark Hero VIII for $400 and add an Intel NIC for about $100-150.

    Or I could buy a motherboard with in built NIC for $700 (aorus xtreme).

    My gut tells me to go with the Asus, cheaper, and ultimately, when I upgrade I no longer need to look for a motherboard with in-built 10gb. I can just move the NIC.

    Also, I upgrade a lot, and Asus dark hero viii probably easier to re-sell than a $700 motherboard that not many people will even want.

    Lastly, from My research it seems the Asus bios is better and so is customer support.

    I guess it sounds like I've made a decision already, but wanted to come here for second opinion.

    The only real downside to adding a NIC is that the green PCB isn't going to look amazing in my glass case.

    submitted by /u/Hodella99
    [link] [comments]

    CPU running extremely hot. Clearance issues perhaps? Need advice!

    Posted: 15 May 2021 03:02 PM PDT

    Hey there! I've recently upgraded my system to a Ryzen 5 3600, on an ASRock x570 board. I'm using a BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 cooler, and space is at a premium.

    I'm aware that Ryzen 3000-series CPUs run hot, but last night I ran into what I can only imagine is Thermal throttling. I stream games on Twitch, and use a bunch of face-tracking software that really eats up CPU usage; and while playing the PSO2 New Genesis beta I was getting CRAZY drops in performance while big effects were on screen, that weren't there at the beginning of the stream. Checking my CPU, the temperature was pushing 95c and it really felt like there was throttling going on.

    My previous build was an i5 4670k, and with this same cooler I was getting full-load temperatures under 60c, so I was expecting an equivalent amount of cooling; but with this current system the clearance is just SO small that I'm not sure if things are far enough apart that things are getting the airflow they need.

    Here's what my build looks like inside- notice that the fan for the Dark Rock 4 covers my 1st RAM slot; and that the GPU is very close to the heatsink for the cooler.

    http://puu.sh/HGWiO/1a3d2eedfe.jpg

    I feel like if I want proper cooling, I have two options- install more case fans (on the top is really the only place I see to install them; the front of the case already has its slots filled) OR, go with an AIO liquid cooler. I'm just not sure if these temperatures are to be expected, or if I should be worried about what's going on.

    submitted by /u/Maple_QBG
    [link] [comments]

    Building a PC with a Temporary Weak GPU because of the shortage a good idea?

    Posted: 15 May 2021 06:21 PM PDT

    Been trying to find the GPU I need lately but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon, would there be any issues with getting a used lower end GPU just so the PC runs and for basic tasks? This is my first build so sorry if its something obvious.

    submitted by /u/Nekko_51
    [link] [comments]

    Arctic or noctua for radiator

    Posted: 15 May 2021 09:05 AM PDT

    I've got a lian li O11 dynamic xl case and a 3090 kingpin. I want to replace the fans on the kingpin's aio, and I'm not sure which fans I should use for the bottom case intake and the aio. I have 3 arctic p12s and 3 noctua nf-f12s. Which should go on the bottom intake vs the kingpin aio? Kingpin Aio is intake on the side.

    I think arctic on the bottom intake and noctua on the aio intake. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Desert_Nanners
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment