• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 12, 2021

    Build a PC: The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team

    Build a PC: The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team


    The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Howdy folks,

    As you may or may not be aware, the PC component market is reeling from a multitude of factors. Graphics Cards are extremely hard to come by, selling out instantly even at inflated prices and being resold on the second hand market for many times their original retail price. However the issues run deeper than this with a combination of Covid-19, cryptocurrency mining, tariffs, production limitations and other supply and demand factors coinciding to mean that finding graphics cards, CPUs and some other components has become incredibly frustrating.

    We all want to build great PCs, and right now it's hard and that sucks.

    We ask for your help during these shortages by requesting that you pay mind to the following:

    • We cannot predict when this situation will ease or end. No one has a crystal ball.

    • Don't ask us how to buy a GPU. You can read about others' experiences and see if you can emulate them with the time and skills you have available, but no-one has an easy answer. People are finding GPUs at retail and patience is one of the primary methods that yields rewards.

    • Some people might decide to use bots to assist them in making a purchase. On /r/buildapc, we do not condone the discussion, recommendation or advertisement of bots.

    • Please don't get scammed. This is a fraught market and fraudsters will exploit your desire to buy a GPU. If a product is being sold by a third party below market price in all probability it is bait for a scam. Never send money by bank transfer, Paypal Friends & Family, or strange cash apps you've not heard of until your seller suggests them. Engage in any non-retail transaction with extreme caution. Ensure any payments you make are covered by robust buyer protection. We will not permit topics such as 'Is this a scam?' or 'Did I get scammed?'

    • Do not offer to sell or ask to buy components in this subreddit or via direct message. Posts will be removed and posters banned.

    • Be kind to one another. Some people may choose to pay inflated prices. Other people may mine with their GPUs. Neither of those make abuse or harassment acceptable and we will take action against breaches of our rules concerning civility.

    In the meantime there are ways to build a PC now despite the GPU shortage:

    You could build a stop-gap system with graphics output integrated into the CPU or search for cheaper older used cards such as the AMD RX480/570/580 or Nvidia GTX 970/1060. Cards with less than 4GB VRAM are no longer optimal for mining and so may be more readily available. There are many possible solutions, and we're sure the buildapc community can help you if you need a PC right now and can't wait for supply to catch up to demand.

    To keep the rest of the subreddit on topic, please keep discussion of the GPU shortages, retail frustrations, etc. to this thread only. Other submissions will be removed.

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    My brother is an idiot.

    Posted: 12 May 2021 02:51 AM PDT

    Funny story, my brother built a medium to high spec pc about a year ago. He constantly moaned about performance, lag spikes and general unplayability in games. So today I decide enough is enough, and go and check it over. He had his hdmi plugged into his onboard graphics, for a year...

    submitted by /u/beeched
    [link] [comments]

    My brother threw away a GTX 1660 while I'm still struggling on a 970...

    Posted: 12 May 2021 09:50 AM PDT

    My dad upgraded his computer and gave the spare card to my sibling.

    He moved, decided he didn't need it, and tossed it. Never even plugged it in. :( I called and asked for it if he wasn't using it and was just dumbfounded. They're like 750 new on amazon and 500 on ebay.

    It's not even a huge upgrade from my current card. I mean, an extra 3.5 gigs of vram and a 50% speed increase... well... fuck. Maybe it is way better than what I have.

    And I'm accumulating spare parts to build a second PC and all I need is pretty much a gpu, psu, and case. That would have solved one of those things. :(

    Please validate my sense of horror

    submitted by /u/Rocker101x
    [link] [comments]

    Mom learning to build PC w/13 and 11yo

    Posted: 12 May 2021 05:55 AM PDT

    Good Morning:

    I've posted on here previously, and you all were super helpful. I was able to secure two of the following: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 6-Core, 12 Thread Unlocked Desktop processor. My research shows it's good. I just I'd just like confirmation. The type of gaming they are doing right now is pretty basic (think Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Fortnite type of games). Also, while I may be nerdy I'm just not this type of nerdy (yet! I'm learning... LOL). Will this work well for their needs? I can cancel the order as it won't ship until May 27 when it's in stock.

    Thanks all. And I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

    (We know it's cheaper to probably buy a pre-built but they really want to learn how to build one so we're going to attempt it...)

    (EDIT: I could get the 7 instead... just not sure which one to get).

    submitted by /u/vjalander
    [link] [comments]

    5600x or Cheaper 10600k

    Posted: 12 May 2021 07:28 AM PDT

    I can get a 10600k for 249 CAD or a 5600x for 439 CAD. I'm just wondering what would be the best bang for the buck. I currently have an rtx 2060 but I'm planning to upgrade to a 3080 when available or equivalent 4000 series if stock doesnt level out and plan on playing at 1440p.

    Theres a difference in price between mobos by about 80CAD with intel being the more expensive.

    Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/JP176654
    [link] [comments]

    First PC Build ever!

    Posted: 12 May 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    This my first pc ever made and I think it turned out pretty well! Just wanted to share it with some enthusiasts!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/XYJpoE1

    submitted by /u/mathwfyuu
    [link] [comments]

    I've been living with shit monitor colors for like 6 years until now.

    Posted: 12 May 2021 07:32 AM PDT

    Before today, my monitor's colors would look meh at 60 hz and shit at 144 hz. Now 144 hz looks good. Just now, I went into Windows color calibration. At first, I didn't have to change much at all, but then I went to the gamma section. The sample image showed High gamma having these dark spots in the calibration page. Once at the page, my monitor had crazy dark spots, so I just turned the gamma down to minimum to meet the "good" sample image. Fuck you Asus/Microsoft (who do I blame here?), now my monitor looks good after 6/7 years.

    submitted by /u/mochasmiles999
    [link] [comments]

    My ssd is so fast I can’t launch my bios.

    Posted: 12 May 2021 10:51 AM PDT

    Every time I shut down my PC and I start it up and press the delete button a bunch of times to get to the bios, it never goes and just go straight to my login screen. I've tried doing the shift-reset to the troubleshoot menu but when I choose to change the unif whatever firmware it resets and goes to my login in. I noticed that my cpu was only running at 4040 hertz and not 4500 hertz. I'm on windows 10.

    submitted by /u/throwawayzdrewyey
    [link] [comments]

    My main monitor won't run at 165 hz when I connect a second monitor

    Posted: 12 May 2021 06:16 AM PDT

    So I recently bought a new 165 Hz monitor so now I have a 165 and 144 Hz dual monitor setup however, whenever I plug in my secondary monitor the refresh rate on my main monitor won't go above 60hz. How do I get my main monitor to run at 165 hz and my secondary monitor to run at 144 hz? They are both connected via display port, I even tried reinstalling my drivers but nothing seems to work.

    submitted by /u/hi-Im-gosu
    [link] [comments]

    NZXT H510 airflow with Ryzen 5950 and RTX 3090

    Posted: 12 May 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    If I already have the case do you think it would be worth using the H510 (not the "i" or "elite)? Would the airflow be OK with the 5950 and 3090? Or should I get a totally different one anyways. I'll be using an AIO cooler and could upgrade the fans if possible, just curious if anyone has experience running them in this case.

    submitted by /u/Forward_Syrup
    [link] [comments]

    Just because you set refresh rate in Windows doesn't mean you set it in-game if you're playing exclusive fullscreen mode.

    Posted: 12 May 2021 11:44 AM PDT

    TL;DR: Games usually set the monitor refresh rates when you play them in exclusive fullscreen mode. This is independent of Windows settings you set.

    Things you can do to check:

    1. When you set v-sync on, your FPS should max out at the monitors refresh rate. Is it capped at 60 FPS? More than likely your refresh rate is at 60 Hz then
    2. Your monitor should have a info button to check its settings. Does it show the current refresh rate that is set?
    3. The in-game settings usually tell you what refresh rate you're at
      1. Either it is a setting on its own or
      2. It's tied to the resolution, e.g. (2560x1440@60Hz vs. 2560x1440@120Hz)

    Wall of text version:

    I see a lot of popular post and comments about "I'm dumb! I had my Windows refresh rate set to 60 Hz all this time."

    I just wanted to point out that if you game in exclusive fullscreen mode (not to be confused with Windowed Fullscreen Mode), the majority if not all modern games do not depend on your Windows refresh rate setting. You can set this in game on your own and it will change your monitors refresh rate. This is usually located in the graphics menu itself.

    So just because you have 60, 120, 144 and 165 Hz set as your refresh rate in Windows, NVIDIA or AMD it doesn't guarantee those settings will carry over to the refresh rate of your in-game settings. A good indicator is if you launch a game, and the monitor seems to blink like it's shutting off and back on again. That can possibly mean the game changed the refresh rate. Sometimes it will blink for other reasons like setting a different monitor color format or turning HDR on, etc.

    So make sure you check the in-game refresh rate settings. I want to also point out, in this scenario it's okay to have Windows Desktop at 60Hz, it doesn't stop you from gaming at higher refresh rates in fullscreen mode and vice versa, just because you're desktop is set to 165 Hz doesn't mean the game might be set to 165 Hz.

    submitted by /u/TheBlack_Swordsman
    [link] [comments]

    "PLEASE HELP" Black screen of death on brand new build!

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:50 PM PDT

    I just built my pc, here are the specs:

    MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi

    Ryzen 7 3700x

    Asus Tuf Gaming 1650 OC 4gb graphics card

    Everything was hooked up and running great until...I was going to update the graphics card drivers and windows did an update and then BOOM! Black screen of death. I can't get to Recovery mode to roll back windows or to start in safe mode, I can't even get into the BIOS. I unplugged my graphics card and tried plugging my screen into the motherboard directly and tried to get to BIOS and that didn't work either. My understanding is that AMD boards don't have integrated graphics anyway but I figured I'd try it. I did plug my computer screen into my laptop to make sure it wasn't the screen and it works perfectly.

    I did see a suggestion to try another gpu so I bought a cheap refurbished one off of Amazon to see if that would at least get me to a point where I can actually see the screen to get into safe mode, but that won't be here for a couple days. Any other suggestions in the mean time? I am at my wits end and for the $$$ I spent of the dang graphics card (yeah, I know, it's just how it is right now) I could just scream!

    submitted by /u/DispatchMomma
    [link] [comments]

    Will I see a noticeable performance drop running 4 sticks of ram?

    Posted: 12 May 2021 09:24 AM PDT

    Mobo: MSI B550 A Pro

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws series V 3600 CL 16

    Link to exact kit:

    https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880?Item=N82E16820232880

    I am trying to upgrade to 32Gb of ram but wasn't sure to either get a new kit or add to my current set, so after a lot of googling and forum browsing similar questions I am still left unsure on which option is best. I am pretty sure my Mobo is using "Daisy chain" for it's memory config so using 2 sticks would be best for that, however, at the current price I would be paying roughly double for two sticks of 16Gb. I also know that my current Ram is only single rank so adding on or getting a new kit would up it to dual rank unless I have my understanding of memory rankings work.

    edit: I would also like to add that I am running xmp on this ram so idk if the timings would be heavily affected by adding 2 more sticks or not.

    submitted by /u/Ridewarior
    [link] [comments]

    I realized I was very stupid

    Posted: 12 May 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    When I was 12 I received a desktop PC. It had ddr3 16gb ram, i5 4690 gtx 960 2gb. So it's OK in the year 2016. In Christmas I received the gta v for pc version. I asked people how many fps I would get and they told me it'd run at 70 or 80 fps. When I put the game it ran on 5 fps and that was because the hdmi was plugged in the motherboard so that was for 4 years...

    submitted by /u/byjuan_12
    [link] [comments]

    Today I was the moron!

    Posted: 12 May 2021 08:30 AM PDT

    First time building my pc. 5600x, rog strix b550 and a sorry ass Radeon 7870 (I'm not paying dumbass prices for a gpu).

    I was struggling to turn some games on. I thought it was a ram issue so I upgraded my ram, 3600 2x8gb. No luck. I upgraded my ssd because the old one was slowly dying due to faulty manufacturing, no luck. I replaced the psu as it seemed to be dying at 330v of use but still no luck.

    I went through the issues with my father who has been building computers for 30 years, a friend who recently built his own and a few others. No one could figure it out until another friend said to me 'have you checked the hardware updates and bios version?'

    My response, yeah ryzen is up to date and all that stuff, gpu too. But bios? What?

    I'm the dumbass who built a pc and didn't update the bios. Lesson learned.

    submitted by /u/TSR_Jimmie
    [link] [comments]

    I really want to build a pc, but it seems the only way to get a gpu soon is to buy pre-built

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:15 PM PDT

    I always built my own pc, but the last time I had an opportunity to do so, was 2013, and even back then it was a budget build for 500 euros. Now an opportunity comes again, and I find myself in a world where I cannot purchase a GPU. Seems the only way to get one is to buy a pre-built pc, so I'm going for that option, as I'm afraid the prices of gpus will continue to rise.

    submitted by /u/Minomol
    [link] [comments]

    AIO Fan direction question

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    Question about fan pulling, i realized (this is not my pc) that others have their fans below the radiator but pulling air through the radiator into the pc vs pushing air from inside the pc through the radiator and out. is that okay?

    example here

    https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2018_04/E9D7960E-57D6-4558-B6DE-D18AD2CBBE4B.jpeg.fa0225254ddced440501ee3ea19bea3a.jpeg

    submitted by /u/Cranked_Gaming
    [link] [comments]

    Good GPU for 3d animation

    Posted: 12 May 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    This is my first time building a pc and i know theres a crazy shortage with graphics cards right now so is there any advice anyone has about a decent GPU with a budget it 1500$.(edit:my whole budget for the build is around 1500)

    submitted by /u/erickF584
    [link] [comments]

    Black screen after post with two GPUs - Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F, GTX 1070ti, GTX 1050

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm having issues with getting my PC to boot with two GPUs. I've spent a few hours now trying different things, but no dice.

    SYSTEM:
    - ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING on latest BIOS version (4301)
    - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    - 32 GB (8GBx4) DDR4 Corsair Vengance RAM @ 3200 MHz
    - Corsair CX650M PSU
    - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

    The reason I have two graphics cards because I run Linux, and I intend to pass one of them into a KVM with Windows.

    The issue I'm having is the system will not boot with both graphics cards installed. The motherboard posts just fine (light goes green, passes all tests), but no BIOS splash, and it doesn't boot into any OS (I even tried a SATA drive with Windows on it). Both cards work on their own, and they work in all three slots. I've tried every single possible configuration of different slots with zero luck. I've tried removing all M.2 drives, my network card, and even all SATA drives (and all at the same time ofc)

    There will always be a display signal (but just a black screen*) from any of the ports on the card in the top-most slot (whether it's the 1070 Ti or the 1050), and the bottom card will always have no signal.
    \If I have the 1070 Ti in the top slot, and have a monitor plugged into the right-most display port, I will get a flashing cursor for about a second immediately after, then the same black screen.*

    I made sure to set CSM to UEFI in the BIOS (that helped this guy who had a similar sounding issue) with no change

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm lost at this point.

    submitted by /u/Alkesta
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best CPU with integrated graphics?

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    My friend wants to build a pc with an iGPU because of the shortage. I'm wondering if there are any that can consistently run some games.

    submitted by /u/eatscheeks
    [link] [comments]

    Dropped 7.5°C on my cpu and 4.5°C on my gpu by just changing my power options

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:17 PM PDT

    I recently got some new pc case fans (4 be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm PWM high-speed, if you're interested, I only had 2 random cheap molex fans until now) and got confused when my temps were higher than normal and spiking up to 61°C while just browsing or opening something, and up to 69°C!!! when opening up the pc. At first i thought the airflow was bad, the auto overclock was messing thing up, or amd's cool n' quiet feature was messed up. I tried a lot of thing and gave up. Today I was watching Techquickie's video about how shut down doesn't actually shut down your pc, and when they were showing how to deactivate fast startup, they had at power options "AMD Ryzen™ balanced". I got curious to see if i had the same and saw that I had "Balanced (recommended)" instead. Changed it, and later i saw the lower temps. Apparently , somehow Windows was the problem? Or the motherboard though because I finally had fans connected it could bump the voltage a bit to get more performance (I did saw a increase and thought nothing of it). What do you think is going on? I have a ryzen 5 3500x with the stock cooler (47.5°C now, 55 before) and a rx 5600 xt challenger d 6g oc from asrock (47-48°C now, 51-52 before).

    submitted by /u/XKingNightX
    [link] [comments]

    For a retro 2006 build i need an opinion on graphics cards (ie 8800 GTX SLI or 8800 GTS sli)

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:13 PM PDT

    So I'm doing a retro build from 2006 and I'm wondering if i were to do SLI what would you recommend mend using 2 8800 GTXs or GTSs.

    submitted by /u/Vintage_AppleG4
    [link] [comments]

    Can pressing down fan on CPU damage it?

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:10 PM PDT

    I just finished building my PC a day ago and I'm waiting for my monitor. Because I installed my cpu after my mobo was installed into my case it was a bit fiddly getting the cooler onto my cpu. I'm sure my cpu is fine but I put a little bit of pressure on the cpu whilst installing the cooler. The ez debug leds says my cpu isnt broken or failing so I'm guessing that's a good sign.

    submitted by /u/jj2cold
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS ROG STRIX B560-A Motherboard M.2 question...

    Posted: 12 May 2021 02:17 PM PDT

    Hi friends, I'm planning a build utilizing an i9 10900 (non-k) CPU and am looking for a MOBO to pair it with. Since it's a non-K CPU, I was thinking a mid-high end B560 might make more sense than a Z490 or Z590, and was leaning towards this one from ASUS: ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG USA (asus.com).

    However, while reviewing the spec page, I noticed under Storage it said, regarding the top M.2 slot, "Only Intel® 11th processors support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode, this slot will be disabled for other CPUs." Does that mean the top M.2 slot will be COMPLETELY disabled with a 10th gen CPU, like it sounds, or it will just run at PCIe 3.0 speed? Does anyone have this board yet and can advise on how it works in practice?

    I would appreciate any guidance, thank you!

    submitted by /u/Peli_HS
    [link] [comments]

    APU vs APU+old GPU

    Posted: 12 May 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    So, my desktop computer uses an AMD ryzen 3 2200G and I have 16gb of RAM (3000mhz) on dual channel (2 sticks of 8gb), I have no dedicated graphics card, I was planning on buying the RX570 but oh well, damn shortage. The thing is, I'm being gifted an used AMD XFX Radeon HD 7770 1gb, and I was wondering if adding this card would be a downgrade or an upgrade, I'm still learning about all of this stuff, thanks in advance.

    The card is the exact same one that is shown in this video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azzyP9sttYM&ab_channel=demonsparkx

    submitted by /u/MacaronEnthusiast
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment