• Breaking News

    Friday, April 16, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 16, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 16, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 16, 2021

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My blessed anti sag solution.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 08:09 PM PDT

    Computer suddenly very sluggish. Not sure where the issue is.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:40 AM PDT

    Part Name
    CPU Intel Core i7-6700k @ stock clocks
    GPU EVGA RTX 2080 @ stock clocks
    MOBO MSI Z170A-G45 GAMING
    MEM GEIL SUPER LUCE 16GB DDR4 3000
    SSD WD 2TB 3D NAND SSD
    PSU EVGA 750 GQ

    My computer very suddenly (like fine one day, horrible next) became sluggish doing any task. Booting up, file explorer, browsing, gaming. Even when idle, everything feels like I'm on a computer from 1990. I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

    Things I've tried:

    1. Fresh Windows 10 install
    2. Swapped out SSD for another one
    3. Ran a memtest and tried each stick individually
    4. Monitored internal temps - all looks good
    5. GPU stress test with Furmark
    6. Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
    7. Updated drivers/firmware/bios of GPU/MOBO/SSD
    8. Ran CrystalDiskInfo

    Every one of these looked fine to me. No issues, yet my computer is extremely sluggish. In games it flips between high FPS and low FPS constantly (every few seconds), not consistent at all.

    The ONE place I can get some sort of result was running a userbenchmark. My userbenchmark score was awful, and pointed at my CPU as a problem.

    Results here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42112455

    Could this be a faulty CPU? Motherboard? PSU? I'm unsure of where to go from here. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    EDIT: update in the comments

    submitted by /u/Dokii
    [link] [comments]

    CPU idling at 60C+

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 04:47 AM PDT

    Ryzen 5 3600

    ASRock A520M-itx/ac

    Noctua NH-L9a

    So I put everything together last night, and I can't seem to get the temps down into useable range. It seems no matter what fan profile I choose, the CPU stays around 55-65C constantly. I thought maybe there was some plastic on the heatsink or something, so I took everything apart and re-seated it all. Still idling at around 60C.

    For refrence, this CPU was in a different motherboard yesterday using the stock Ryzen cooler and temps were idling around 35-45C. I read that the motherboard might be auto-overclocking, but I'm not exactly sure what to turn off if that's even the case. I'm positive it's not an airflow issue, I ran the system for 45+ minutes with no sidepanel on and it didn't make a bit of difference.

    Any help would be much appreciated

    submitted by /u/snoopunit
    [link] [comments]

    Rx 5600 xt or 1660 ti

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:48 AM PDT

    So I've been having a problem deciding which one is more worth. An asus tuf rx 5600 xt or a msi 1660 ti ventus .itll be my first time building a pc My first choice was the rx 5600 xt but i have seen a lot of reviews and comments on the card being unstable,having black screen,green screens and a lot of driver problems. Also ill just be running a 75hz 1080p monitor

    submitted by /u/Pyrpox
    [link] [comments]

    I want to buy a gaming pc but I don't know what to get.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:13 AM PDT

    Hello, so i want to buy a gaming pc (budget €800 or 950$) but I don't know what to get. Can someone help me compose a gaming pc?

    submitted by /u/sanderbroekema
    [link] [comments]

    Is the rx580 still a good card?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:37 AM PDT

    I'm currently trying to build a pc and I have a friend who will sell me his old rx 580 4GB for $200 and with today's GPU market that might be my only choice, but I was wondering if the rx 580 is still a good card in this gaming scene. The full build is below

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gY4mp2

    submitted by /u/Jpays22
    [link] [comments]

    Help Refining $1600 build

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:24 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    this will actually be my second reddit post so pardon me if this is formatted awfully.

    I'm trying to build a PC and enlisted the help of my friend.

    https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=485181e8-c911-4606-9828-476b96553721

    1. CPU - Intel Core i9 10850K
    2. MotherBoard - ASUS- Z490 Plus
    3. Ram - Crucial - Ballistix Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
    4. Case - NZXT - H510 Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case
    5. PSU - EVGA - SuperNOVA 650 GT 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
    6. GPU - RTX 3070 FE
    7. SSD - Inland Premium - 512GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
    8. CPU Cooling - Corsair - H60 AIO CPU Cooler
    9. HDD - Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"

    This is the build he came up with. We went the intel route so that I may be able to use the pc until I can get my hands on a rtx 3070 FE from best buy since I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices that GPUs are going for.

    I just want to know if this is a solid build and that there is no money being wasted. Although the budget is 1600 I wouldn't mind it being cheaper. The only thing that I really want to keep is the rtx 3070. Everything else can be swapped out for optimization.

    The pc will be used for gaming ( preferably at 1440p ) and school work which includes programs like CAD and Solidworks.

    Thank you for the help in advance.

    submitted by /u/Mild_Salsa-
    [link] [comments]

    New Monitor - confusing cables and rubber pieces

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    I got my first rgb monitor. I#m using a displayport cable for it but there was another one which confused me. it wasnt defined in the manual either. it has a square opening.

    This is how it looks: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B90evBmdsVMJx7tNo-vy5EwbpEbicKYE/view?usp=sharing

    can anyone help me identify it? do i need to plug it in? or is it just a secondary thing? can i just leave it in the box?

    Question 2: there were rubber bits too. do i plug it into ports that i dont need? i dont want to accidentally damage anything so i'm asking just in case

    Pic of the rubber bits: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BB1LN37jxZC15LcxL9xItyKnC__bWLxB/view?usp=sharing

    submitted by /u/Kuroneko_A
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help, to see if these products go together. Help is appriciated

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 05:17 AM PDT

    Im kinda new to the build a pc thing, so i came here. I want to ask if the NZXT Aer RGB 2 fans go together with the Lian-Li PC-O11DX Dynamic (case) and (idk if its important) the MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC (motherboard) together. Thanks if you guys can help me :) and sry again for sounding like im complelty new :)

    submitted by /u/Lolo_without_a_C
    [link] [comments]

    Random Freezes - Windows 10

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 10:23 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've been getting random freezes every few days on my PC for the last few months.

    I've ran disk checks, memtest86 with no issues. No errors from the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and Crystal Disk Info is saying Good 98% for my SSD.

    When the freeze occurs my cpu and gpu will both spike to 100% at the same time.

    It seems the system stops updating because I can sometimes use the mouse and keyboard but if I start typing and hold a key down only one key is registered instead of multiple of the same key when holding. Also, Task manager stops refreshing but hitting View > Refresh Now will still update it.

    I've done a clean install of Windows twice now, first at version 20H2 and then at version 2004. Issue still occurs.

    Here's a video of when the freeze occurs: https://youtu.be/Lq8D2UU38v8

    Specs: 2070 super
    R5 2600
    Asrock b450m pro 4f
    Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
    Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" SSD
    Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W PSU

    At this point I'm thinking it could be the motherboard but I'm not 100% sure. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cheetor25
    [link] [comments]

    good SSD?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:28 PM PDT

    does anyone know a good SSD? Im good with 1tb or 2tb

    Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200

    CPU: INTEL core i5-10600k

    submitted by /u/Oluidowu4
    [link] [comments]

    Should we take this blue thing off?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:14 AM PDT

    Intel i5-11400F doubt

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    hello, I want to know can the intel i5-11400F bottleneck a 3080 in gaming?

    submitted by /u/alt_username12345
    [link] [comments]

    Won't boot into safe mode

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 10:14 AM PDT

    So I just got a new GPU and went to switch to safe mode so I can run DDU. But now my pc won't display anything. It's on and everything is running but it won't display any image. How can I fix this?

    submitted by /u/ChadNeri28
    [link] [comments]

    My winter build, I call it the Murder Box

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:44 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/K2SaUnE (album)

    So I finished this build shortly before Christmas '20 using a lot of luck (GPU wise) and every inch of budget I could get away with. Parts are as follows and some have been updated since original build. Don't judge me by the cables under my desk, reorganizing has been a long time comming!

    Monitor: Monoprice 34" Dark Matter Ultrawide (Just arrived, still testing but I like it!)

    Case: Thermaltake Core V1

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

    RAM: 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 3600

    MOBO: ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac (the Fatal1ty branded one)

    GPU: RTX 3070
    HDDs: addlink 1tb M2 drive; Seagate Barracuda 2tb 3.5; 3 other drives donate/harvested for a total of 4.5 tb or so of storage

    Cooling: Noctua NH-u9s (CPU cooler); 2x Noctua NF-A8 (80mm) for exhaust; replaced stock intake fan with Noctua NF-A20 (200mm)

    PSU: EVGA B5 650 W (Bronze)

    Etc.: 2 RGB light strips for a little definition between all the black parts

    Peripherals: I use the Logitech MX Master set right now since I use PC for play and Mac for work and typically work on multiple machines throughout the day. Will likely upgrade in the near future.

    Razer Tartarus Pro - Still defining the keys on this but so far I'm enjoying it. Originally purchased since I had the PC hooked up to the TV and started having wrist issues with the keyboard (this helped).

    Just got the Thrustmaster TXM Wheel and Pedals, working on building a racing sim cockpit but will have that in another room and will move the PC when I want to play on PC or Quest instead of the Xbox that it will be pretty much using most of the time. This was a huge change for racing games, really love the wheel.

    So, room to grow with parts I've got a specific eye on for replacement priorities (ram/cpu mainly; mobo some day; gpu never). Overall, I'm very happy with the build and it turned out better than anticipated with some help and participation from family gifts over the holidays and general assistance/generosity. Scored the RTX from a friend who got lucky at microcenter on a 3080 he wasn't even looking for. I now owe him my eternal soul for selling it to me without markup. I'm good with that.

    submitted by /u/Throwthewaiter
    [link] [comments]

    will ram with different timings affect dual channel?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:44 PM PDT

    So 3 years ago i got 1x8gb 2400mhz ram (company is goodram) with timings 17 17 17 and i want to upgrade to 16gb of ram i was looking for the exact same one but i cant find one the only ones are with different timings 15 15 15 and the question is will it affect dual channel? Will it even work?

    about goodram - polish company making ram that is pretty good i was using goodram ram for about 10 years and never had any problem so dont comment about changing ram company i want to go with goodram

    submitted by /u/Atsukad-_-b
    [link] [comments]

    Excited for upgrades coming today!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 07:45 AM PDT

    Anyone else get a little antsy when your upgrades are out for delivery?!

    https://imgur.com/jcKuJXG

    submitted by /u/ParticleDropp
    [link] [comments]

    Games crashing after pro and mobo upgrade

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:29 AM PDT

    Hi everyone

    i recently upgraded from my old i7-6700k and asus maximus viii ranger mobo to gigabyte aorus b550 elite mobo and ryzen 7 5800x

    the problem is ever since swapping out the mobo and pro all my games crash after playing 15-20 mins

    temps are fine with pro being in 65-75 range

    gpu is at 70-75 too (gtx 1080)

    mobo model: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10

    games i play mostly are dota 2 valorant

    tried valhalla today same result and with some other games too

    things i tried:

    re installing all these games

    re installing windows

    help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/Empyreanvers
    [link] [comments]

    Help Refine my £2000 PC Build :)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 09:55 AM PDT

    As the title says really.. have put together a PC with chillblast (don't plan on building it myself lel), and would like help making sure its the best i can do for the budget

    Specs are as below:
    CPU: i5-10600K 4.80 GHz
    GPU: RTX 3060 12GB
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB Sticks)
    Drive: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX
    PSU: Corsair RM650x 80 PLUS Gold 650W
    Case: probably doesnt matter but Corsair 4000D

    The cooling is all the most expensive stuff on the list so should be alright lol

    I also have my own SSD that i'll be putting in there as main storage, the m.2 is basically just for the OS

    Let me know if i can do better in the budget :)

    submitted by /u/CallumW25
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to build a pc specs under 700: Ryzen 5 3600, nvidia gtx 1660, don’t know about reasonable Ram. Already have case (which is micro atx) psu which is 500w, and ssd.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:23 AM PDT

    How good is a GTX 980?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 08:37 AM PDT

    I am building my first PC and a friend of my Dad offered me a GTX 980 but I don't know if I should accept or buy a different GPU. I am really inexperienced so sorry if this is a dumb question.

    submitted by /u/Phostu
    [link] [comments]

    How loud are Seagate BarraCuda 3,5 5400rpm and is it good for gaming

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 11:17 AM PDT

    help on choosing ssd

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    Just built my first pc like 4 months ago, and I am adding a second ssd for my computer and I have a question. do they have to be the same size? Like I have a 256 gb ssd rn which is my C drive, and want to add a D drive that is gonna have 300. Couldnt rlly find an exact answer on google so

    submitted by /u/Depressed_Dwarff
    [link] [comments]

    PC stuck on Mobo boot screen for 5-10mins, then perfectly normal after logging in to Windows 10

    Posted: 16 Apr 2021 09:12 AM PDT

    Specs below.

    Main symptom is PC sits on the mobo boot logo for 5-10 minutes before finishing booting up. Once it lands on Windows 10 login screen, everything is speedy as normal. Gaming is normal, no slowdown or glitches. Doing heavy correction in Adobe Lightroom is fine, only other symptom is it has stopped responding/Lightroom crashes multiple times during the exporting photos process, and has also rarely crashed while performing edits.

    I've unplugged all peripherals minus PCI graphics card, also updated all Mobo chipset drivers and BIOS and the booting problem still persists. Given that the PC acts normally in GPU-intensive uses and after finishing startup (for the most part), could this be a CPU or RAM issue? Is there a way to test this theory without having replacement parts on hand?

    Specs: Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard G.Skill Ripjaws V series 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 CL16 Samsung 840 120GB SSD Crucial MX100 256GB SSD HP EX920 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (boot drive) PNY Quadro P2000 5GB GPU Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Fractal Node 304 Case

    submitted by /u/SlothBucket
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment