• Breaking News

    Monday, July 13, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 13, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 13, 2020


    Simple Questions - July 13, 2020

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Just Finished my first build and got windows 10 installed

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:01 AM PDT

    Now what drivers do I need to download?

    I already got B450, 3600 and 5600xt, but is there anything else I need to download?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CrW6tp That's my build, so is there like motherboard drivers I need?

    edit: I fell asleep and woke up to this having a lot more comments, Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it

    submitted by /u/TheDepressedBlobfish
    [link] [comments]

    How do I stop the feeling of having to constantly upgrade?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    I just built my PC like 3 months ago with all new parts. Granted I chose the best bang for your bang parts (2070 super, 3600x, B450 MOBO, deepcool fans) and now I feel like upgrading again! Although im seeing fantastic frames in my games (i dont even game that much) and no reason to upgrade!

    In the back of my mind im being festered to upgrade my fans to Corsair LL120s, upgrade my CPU to a 3900x and to upgrade my cpu cooler to an AIO that can display GIFs.

    How do i stop this feeling...

    submitted by /u/HandsomeShyGuy
    [link] [comments]

    UPDATE: Tip to check your motherboard manufacturer's website for approved RAM manufacturers, XxBUSTEDxX

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    Earlier this week, I made this post about how I thought my new PC was crashing because my motherboard's website QVL list didn't include my RAM's speed, and assumed that the motherboard was the problem.

    It turns out, I was wrong.

    I adjusted my RAM settings, and everything has been hunky-dory since then, and I assumed that I must have been right.

    Well, I was right, only in the sense that I solved my problem, but not for the right reasons.

    Curmudgeon redditor u/upvotesvideos pointed out my falacy, and it turns out, I'm an idiot, and didn't know about memory controllers.

    CPUs have memory controllers that, apparently, cause problems if they're exceeded.

    So, my new PC, my first build, is finally working as it should. I made a long ass post about how I figured out the problem that was creating issues, and while the solution that I found worked, I didn't truly understand why. I probably still wouldn't understand, if it weren't for u/upvotesvideos.

    Thanks again to the r/buildapc community for all of the help along the way with my first build, and I look forward to learning more and more from all of you in the future.

    submitted by /u/ComedyBum
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: How come consoles are going to be using PCIe 4 NVMe storage, when PC benchmarks show that there's almost no difference in loading screens with even SATA SSD storage?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    I've seen loading time comparisons between types of SSDs, ranging from SATA SSDs to even the newest PCIe 4 NVMe drives. Loading times are really similar, with the only differences not being really that noticeable (like, it doesn't go from 20 seconds to one second, but more like 20 to 19.5).

    If that's the case, then how come the next-generation of consoles (PS5, and I believe the Series X is too) are gonna be using storage equal to that of PCIe 4 NVMe, when this type of storage is much more costly than SATA SSDs? Wouldn't it have been much more cost effective for it to use SATA storage and then make it bigger, like even 2 TB even?

    Even I for gaming was wanting to get an NVMe SSD, but I keep hearing that it rarely makes a difference in loading and that it would be way more cost effective to just get a SATA drive, but I've heard the PS5 is going through the trouble of implementing a type of storage more capable.

    submitted by /u/Shadoremi64
    [link] [comments]

    Everything great for 3 months but today the ssd just "disappeared"

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:29 AM PDT

    As the title says, my first pc build went great and smoothly. Post at the first try and since then no issues.

    This morning i turned on the pc, all good, went on reddit for a while and went to take a shower. When i came back the pc was in the bios and it does not recognize the Crucial Nvme ssd.

    I dont know what is happening and im very scared as i put a lot of effort and money on my machine, that why i come here for help (as i got tons of help while building my pc).

    What happens now is:

    I turn on the pc, my MSI Tomahawk Max shows a red Led on "VGA" on the ez debug led. Stays like such for around 20 seconds, then boots into the bios and the EZ debug led changes to "BOOT" and on the bios i cant find the ssd. On hardware map it shows that the m.2 slot is empty.

    Please someone help me, i really dont know what to do. I tried plugging in the ssd again, checked all the cables if they were connected properly, nothing.

    Also, the nvme ssd is the only drive i have on the pc.

    submitted by /u/djnewma
    [link] [comments]

    How many fans should I get?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:12 PM PDT

     How many fans should I get for my build. I plan on getting 120mm ones. 

    My Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass Black Spcc Micro ATX Gaming Computer Case CA-1J4-00S1WN-01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G3TNDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R-ldFb5G3WQVB

    submitted by /u/fifeness_
    [link] [comments]

    Do GPU brands make a difference?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    Was researching for parts and looking into modding GPUs with either aftermarket coolers (like Accelero iii) or watercooling (NZXT G12).

    Do graphics cards from different brands (ASUS, Palit, EVGA etc) and their respective different models (Asus turbo vs Asus ROG Strix) matter in this case? Disregarding the cooling of course

    submitted by /u/Polaricicle
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading my GPU

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    Currently have a 8GB RX 580 with a Ryzen 7 3700x with 16gb RAM and looking to upgrade the GPU , kinda brand new into computers so I don't entirely know the difference between AMD vs NVIDIA but I'm open to any opinions!

    submitted by /u/itstonytheoneandonly
    [link] [comments]

    Build Help: GF wants to build her first PC for video editing and animation. Feedback on my suggestions would be appreciated.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    I put together this parts list.

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    GF will be using it mostly for video editing and animation (Photoshop, Illustrator, After effects, Premiere, Cinema 4D, Maya).

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    ~$1300

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    USA

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    I mostly do data science/stats in Linux, so video/animation-specific recommendations for Windows (she's switching from macOS) would be great. For example, I know single-core performance needs to be good for e.g. Adobe After Effects. Some have said Intel > AMD for video, but it sounds like this is no longer the case? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/PKZA
    [link] [comments]

    Is upgrading to 144hz 1440p monitor worth it if I am only getting 80-90fps (high settings) with my gpu on my current 60hz 1440p monitor? Games like RDR2 and Tomb Raider

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:20 AM PDT

    Important things when building a pc

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    What are the top 10 most important things when building a pc?

    submitted by /u/ili129
    [link] [comments]

    is the b450 tomahawk max good?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    Does msi make good motherboards specifically the b450 tomahawk max. And what are you're expiriences with the board

    submitted by /u/Klimorr
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded to RX 5700 XT

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    I upgraded my GPU from a RX 570 to a RX 5700 XT. Even after downloading the correct drivers, every time I load COD my game freezes and boots me to my home screen. I uninstalled COD and redone loaded it and it still wouldn't work. When I reinstalled the 570 and installed those drivers, COD runs fine. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/aggief2018
    [link] [comments]

    Finally making the switch.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm sorry if this isn't formated perfectly, and thank you everyone for helping me out beforehand!

    I am making the change from console to PC with my friends and I can't wait! I don't know too much about computers but with the help of some friends and research I figured out a build that would meet my needs.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h7fsGc

    I will mainly be playing FPS like BF4, Modern Warfare, Binding of Issac, Minecraft, League and some MMOs. I've also recently bought a VR headset that would be nice to run along with my PC. Streaming isn't a necessity for me either. I just want something that runs quickly and looks good, I'm a sucker for seeing the beauty in games.

    My budget is $1200-$1350 for the PC and then other peripherals (monitor, mouse, keyboard) around $300.

    Thank you again!

    submitted by /u/ImDirtyDean
    [link] [comments]

    New build stopped working after a few days!?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I've built a new pc last Thursday. On Friday everything was running fine, played a few games, everything really smooth. The next day, while playing everything went black out of nowhere while fan and gpu where still running, monitor saying "No signal" and no controls working at all. Only way out was to force shut down. That was after 4hours of playing. Well, the following day, on Sunday, after 10min of play, the same thing happend.

    Now, today I've been troubleshooting in various ways, using stress tests and benchmarks to verify if all the parts where working as intended. Gpu stress test, benchmarks, gpu vram memtest, Ram test, PSU test, cpu test all came back positive and without crashing the system.

    As such, I decided to try and play a game again. After 2min, same thing happens, black screen and the system's locked up. Uninstalled gpu drivers using DDU, did some more tests and tried a game again. Crash after 2min BUT now the system fans and cpu cooler stopped spinning and all lights went out apart from the GPU which was still spinning and emitting light. Power button didn't work anymore and had to de-power using the PSU switch.

    I'm lost right now... Not sure what to do or think. I'm almost certain that the mobo is defect as the PSU was still providing power to the gpu in order to spin its fans and all stress tests and benchmarks came back positive.

    Badly in need of advice :(

    submitted by /u/GreenStache_
    [link] [comments]

    Completed my first build...thank for this community

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    Hey guys...im Feel so good right now...just want to share my happines

    Ryzen 7 2700X

    Asrock B450 Steel Legend

    2 x Hyper X Fury 8gb 3200mhz

    Zotac RTX 2060 Super

    Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo

    XPG SX8200 256gb/Seagate Barracuda SSD and HDD

    Tecware Nexus C TG ATX Case

    you also can drop by my timelapse build at https://youtu.be/FtUW25EdH4A

    submitted by /u/pcnubi
    [link] [comments]

    Can i use both M.2 and HDD or SSD?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    i like to get a M.2 250gb and 1TB HDD or a 500gb SSD, however i'am bite worry that M.2 wound some how "cut-off" SATA ports making it the HDD or SSD disable/unusable? Dose this happen to some motherboard or all? please help and thanks you.

    My motherboard is MSI tomamhawk MAX B450

    UPDATE: OH MY GOODNESS! that was Quick! i was gone for a min and i got 4 comments, Thanks you all so much for the help.

    submitted by /u/VeganHetzer
    [link] [comments]

    My First Build , Advice Needed

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Hey Everyone, I'm building my first PC, I've always wanted to build one I came up with a build with a little bit of research that I need input on, I have never done this before so I really need your opinion guys

    I will be using this PC for gaming (Cs:go , Dota2 , Rainbow six siege) and Information security Training (Penetration testing & Ethical Hacking)

    (P.S: I am kind of on a budget so keep that In mind)

    Here's my proposed build:

    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

    Motherboard: MSI Amd B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 DDR4

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz

    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8GB

    SSD: WD Black SN750 WDS500G3X0C M.2 2280 500 GB

    CAse & PSU: not sure about this one , here's one I found but I really don't know what to look for when it comes to a case : https://www.itopya.com/power-boost-vk-t01b-rgb-650w-80-mesh-panel-usb-30-mid-tower-kasa/

    I appreciate all feedback and I will be building this one myself so any advice on that too is appreciated

    Thank you all In advance

    submitted by /u/dr-reap
    [link] [comments]

    Dark rock pro 4 fits into the p400a

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:36 AM PDT

    Title. Basically i forgot to check the height of the cpu cooler (only compatibility thing i forgot luckily) and decided, based on some cursory research, to try and see if it would fit anyway against the data sheets. Lo and behold, it does! Posting this mainly because i could not find a definitive yes or no online, and i would have liked to see something like this while searching. The margin is very tight, but it definitely doesn't touch the glass.

    submitted by /u/SirSavien1
    [link] [comments]

    Am looking to build in a NZXT H510 case with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 1660 Super - Does anyone know of a B450 board with a USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 header for the front panel USB-C port?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 04:36 AM PDT

    The motherboard should preferably be around £100-150, and Wi-Fi/Bluetooth would be an added bonus.

    submitted by /u/hrishix
    [link] [comments]

    PC smells like a blunt shop

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    How to I get my PC not to smell like tobacco smoke? I just recently bought a PC from someone and the smell is deadly.

    submitted by /u/AmericasLastGinger
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Help: Video Editing and Gaming

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:00 PM PDT

    I haven't built a PC before and I've been looking for a budget build ( around $1000) for a PC to do some video editing ( Premiere Pro + After Effects) and gaming. I've chosen these parts but I'm not sure if they all go together or if they're the best on the market at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    I've put the link for the pc partpicker below:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q6Z4b8

    submitted by /u/tomandthenews
    [link] [comments]

    thoughts on this build?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    my budget is 400USD max, and this is what i came up with:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q3BMk6

    its no beast, but it seems like it would do what i intend on doing, and it gives space to upgrades later when i have more money, like christmas...

    its mostly to light gaming and school work, like valorant, R6, Dead by Daylight and some strategy 2D games, nothing fancy such as Horizon Zero Down.

    is there anything i could change, on the same price range, that would make it better?

    submitted by /u/mattdv1
    [link] [comments]

    2070 super now or wait

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    Should I buy a 2070 super and sell it later or wait for 3000 series? And will I need a new motherboard since I have a b450?

    submitted by /u/Stovetop6989
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment