• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 16, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 16, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - February 16, 2021


    Simple Questions - February 16, 2021

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finally I go from 1080p to 1440p!

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:13 AM PST

    Goodmorning everyone,

    finally after a few months of savings, I was able to complete my build with the right monitor.

    I bought an LG UltraGear 27GL850-B and this is my build :

    Ryzen 5 3600X - Nvidia RTX 2070 Super - 8x2 3200Mhz LPX

    Thanks to you, and a lot of research I saved up to get only this monitor that fit in my pocket and convinced me as performance.

    Now I'm here for one last help, as a non-expert in the video industry, my one year build is composed with a 1080p dual monitor, one 144hz (where I work/play) and one 75hz (desktop).

    Now that I set up the new monitor I would like to keep the old 1080p 144hz monitor as my desktop and the LG for work/play, I limited myself to connecting everything, but I would not like to create some conflict with 1080p 144hz and 1440p 144hz, is there any particular setting to set?

    I made sure I got 144hz from the Nvidia control panel, but nothing else.

    Thank you,

    Chris

    submitted by /u/Crazyslevin
    [link] [comments]

    My first ever self build PC

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 04:53 AM PST

    As the title says, my first ever self build PC! Had a blast building in the o11D mini! https://builds.gg/builds/silverline-delecasy-29231

    Edit I: for the ones that are wondering about the tubing this is how I did it. The tubes have 0 stress on them and are not touching any hot parts of the GPU. It actually naturally bended this way.

    submitted by /u/Ewutru
    [link] [comments]

    Youtube vs Reality

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 07:53 AM PST

    Linus/Paul/Jay/Toasty: "Look you can build this PC just like us!"

    Me: "Yes I can!"

    Also Me:

    • *gets new case* "How do I get the front cover off?"
    • *inserts MOBO in case and screws into 6 standoffs* "Wait, there are 3 standoffs missing."
    • *inserts missing standoffs and secures MOBO* "Why is the "Cooler Master" plate upside down on my cooler?
    • *installs 5 RGB fans* "Wait, it matters which direction they are installed?"
    • *connects all the cords to MOBO and PSU* "Why is my power switch upside down?"
    • *realizes I installed PSU with the fan on top blowing air into my unit* "Damn"

    All in all, it was a great learning experience and I am glad I tried, fails and all.

    submitted by /u/Adamdthomas5
    [link] [comments]

    How have front panel connectors not been made into a singular connector yet?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 11:10 AM PST

    This is a bit of a rant, but how has nobody just made a singular connector for front panel headers that makes PLEDs line up with the PLED pins and Pwr line up with the power pins, etc. My fingers are to fat for these single pin connectors. I keep stabbing under my nail.

    submitted by /u/GimmickMusik1
    [link] [comments]

    Major spike in CPU prices at Microcenter?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 04:09 AM PST

    Does anyone know why CPU prices spiked overnight at Microcenter? Just yesterday they had i7 10700Ks for $299.00 USD but today the listed price is $549.00.

    submitted by /u/ScrewedSomethingOnce
    [link] [comments]

    Question about GPU temps

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 12:30 PM PST

    Hey all! I just bought a MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X, the performance is great but the temperatures are also quite high. Begore this, I had a MSI RTX 2080 ti Gaming X Trio, that went up to about 85 degrees in Heaven Benchmark. Then I bought a new pc with a new GPU, I thought it would improve, but now it the 3090 sits around 83 degrees.

    When I look up benchmarks on the internet, I always see temperatures around 70 degrees, which doesnt match mine at all.

    When I remove the side panel, then the temps drop down to 73-80 degrees.

    Am I doing something wrong here? What is going on?

    Specs: Phanteks P400 case Ryzen 9 3900x Coolermaster Masterliquid ML240L v2 (2 intake fans) Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite 32gb GSKILL RGB RAM MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X Coolermaster v850 Gold 1 default exhaust fan

    Picture of pc: https://imgur.com/a/8xIk6aI

    submitted by /u/D-Tunez
    [link] [comments]

    USB4/Thunderbolt 4 USB-C PCIe

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 12:20 PM PST

    Can anyone recommend to me a PCIe card that provide a USB4/Thunderbolt 4 USB-C port for my PC?

    submitted by /u/Rayston
    [link] [comments]

    Why isn't 1660 Super not completely gone from the market like everything up from 980?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2021 09:45 PM PST

    The title says it all really. I have all the other parts for my PC delivering, the only thing missing is the GPU and the case, which I haven't chosen yet. I saw some 1660 Super cards available for a pretty big price, yet I'm sort of ready to pay for it, if it means I get a decent PC for a couple years until all this GPU price bullshit ends(it will?).
    I know I probably should not be building a PC at such a bad time but I've been stuck with my loud laptop with some keys just starting to malfunction(it's a xiaomi laptop, wouldn't recommend at all).
    Just let me know why 1660 might still be available in my region while others have completely vanished for it seems like another 6 months.

    submitted by /u/GenderlessCat
    [link] [comments]

    No smoke or fire, but melted insulation on case fans and front panel connectors

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 10:52 AM PST

    Hello! Would appreciate any insight into an issue with a 2 month-old build. Apologies for any formatting issues, first Reddit post.

    I have the white Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB case purchased via Amazon. Last night, I noticed a strange smell coming from the top vent of the case, quickly reviewed HWMonitor but temps seemed normal at time of review (CPU: i9-10850K @ 35C -- usually 26C @ idle, GPU: EVGA 3060Ti XC @ 45C -- usually 38C @ idle). Noticed the 2nd front intake fan that came with the case had completely stopped, and turned off the PC.

    Removing the back panel revealed copper wiring exposed through the insulation of the 2nd intake fan. The case comes with 3 front intake fans (SK140 DRGB 3-pin Case Edition). I did not plug the D-RGB fan header into the motherboard since the case comes with front RGB controls, and I run the PC with the RGB off. I cable managed by bundling the fan wires and front panel connectors loosely together with zip ties. The 2nd fan wire insulation melted onto the other fan wires, as well as the front panel connectors. I do not see any exposed copper wiring elsewhere.

    I don't see an signs of pinched wires. I'm not sure what could have caused this. I'm planning on returning the case, and replacing with a be quiet! Pure Base 500DX, but I'd like to figure out the cause of this issue. It was alarming to see that the wiring became hot enough to melt the zip tie.

    Questions: 1. What could have caused this? 2. Would this have affected any of my other components, or will they degrade faster in the future? 3. Why didn't the motherboard or PSU detect an issue and force an emergency shut-down?

    Parts and Modifications: (have only undervolted GPU)

    • CPU: i9-10850KA
    • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master z490 (disabled out of box MCE setting)
    • PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold
    • Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB
    • Case Fans: 3 included SK140 DRGB 3-pin Case Edition fans
    • GPU: EVGA 3060Ti XC, undervolted to 1950MHz @ .925V
    • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM 16GB (8GB x 2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4B, Black
    • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb M.2-2280 NVME
    • Surge Protector: Belkin 12-Outlet Power Strip Surge Protector
    submitted by /u/tangiblemu
    [link] [comments]

    Need help!!!

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 05:40 AM PST

    Hey guys, So I've build a pc about year ago and it has been performing awesome (thank you all that helped me out)! One problem I seem to have during gaming... I have Ryder 3700, 2080 super I bought 32" predator 1440p 144hz for cod war zone and was getting max 90-95 FPS. Few days ago I purchased g7 1440 240hz and getting 95-100 FPS. I've reach end of google on how to fix this as this expense does not justify the cost. Any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/IsaBere
    [link] [comments]

    Ram upgrade

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 02:47 AM PST

    I did a ram upgrade on a Dell Inspirion. It had 2 sticks of 4gb each, i removed 1 and added a 16gb It it ok if i let it at 20gb or is it better if I remove also the other 4gb stick?

    submitted by /u/s7r0w
    [link] [comments]

    cyberpowerpc case available separate? (or: What case is this?)

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:10 PM PST

    https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower-Black-Pearl

    I love that case for some reason in the white/black. I realize it's really similar to the h510 elite but didn't know if this specific case was available alone from some OEM?

    TIA :)

    submitted by /u/hashonBLAST
    [link] [comments]

    My friend is wasting 7k on a pc build. Help me

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:10 PM PST

    Hi Reddit.

    How the hell do I convince my friend to not spend 7K on a PC? It's been his childhood dream but I don't wanna see him regretting buying a 12 core processor and a 3090 in 3 years when he could've had a car.

    EDIT: I hate math class

    He's getting

    5900x Totally overkill for whats he's using it for

    x570 Aorus Master motherboard - overkill for what he needs

    Z73 - overpriced for what it is but he has money ig

    32 gig SL PRO Corsair 3600mhz cl18

    A lot of VERY fast NVME storage, Idek what he's getting but its at least 4 tb and its all above 5000 read speeds and 4000 write speeds.

    3090 FE

    5000D airflow

    Some random 80+platinum PSU 1000 Watts

    Windows 10

    10 QL fans

    random 4k secondary monitor

    27 inch 240hz 1440p monitor

    Lots of razer peripherals.

    submitted by /u/randomMonkey782
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading my rig

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:10 PM PST

    Hello everyone!

    Just for starters, i have a nice rig already, but i want to improve my gaming performance since i will buy a 240Hz monitor soon ™ for Valorant and overall image performance.

    The main upgrade i want is to play Black Desert Online on high settings (Remastered) and be able to not stutter... Not sure if it is because of AMD optimization or something else... But hey i am here looking for help! :)

    So in your opinion what should i switch? I have a budget of around 600-800Euros and i think this is enough for an upgrade i am looking for, if not then shoot me with another price!

    Budget:

    600 to 800 Euros, but if there is a reasonable reason to spend a bit more then i am open to sugestions.

    Specs:

    • R5 3600 Stock cooler
    • RX 5700 (Non XT)
    • DDR4 3200Mhz 16Gb
    • 450W PSU ( CX450M )
    • 2x SSD (1x M.2 and 1 SATA)
    • 1x 1TB Hdd 7200RPM

    Games i play:

    • Valorant
    • Black Desert Online (Mainly this one at high settings, i want the best FPSs without stutters... What kinda makes me go Intel but i am not sure about the new Ryzen 5000 series)

    Other:

    I record from time to time and i kinda want the freedom to live stream... But as far as that goes the 3600 can do both pretty well.

    submitted by /u/InkReaper
    [link] [comments]

    The "W" key on my keyboard

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 11:10 AM PST

    The "W" seems to no longer exist, yet instead it has become the "UP" arrow key. Any ideas? Doesn't matter what program I'm using it will go to the "UP" key. Just slightly frustrating :D.

    submitted by /u/BelugaWhale73
    [link] [comments]

    First PC Build in 15 Years

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 08:09 AM PST

    I finally decided to embark on my first PC build in over 15 years. I was trying to keep the price under $800 total with the ability to game a little bit and multitask without issue. This is the part list that I decided on. Please let me know your thoughts and any issues you think I might run into. Thanks in advance.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DDZKbh

    submitted by /u/Seansta
    [link] [comments]

    6800XT Build Help

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 11:35 AM PST

    Can somebody have a look at the build I'm looking to do? I'll be using mainly for VR, gaming (1440p currently and 4k oled in the very new future, if not ultra wide or super ultra) and light productivity. Would the below specs be sufficient or overkill and if so what would you recommend changing?

    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

    ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WiFi (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!

    32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)

    16GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12

    3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE

    2TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)

    CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

    Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/rickd932
    [link] [comments]

    How would this pc run these games?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:46 PM PST

    How would this pc run certain games?

    I know pretty much nothing about pc's, so that's why i'm checking here if this pc would be good enough for medium graphics 60 fps on these games.

    pc:

    processor: and ryzen 5

    ram: 16gb

    graphics card: geforce gtx 1650 Super 4gb

    games i want it to run 60 fps: rainbow 6 siege

    csgo

    cod warzone

    doom eternal

    gta v

    overwatch

    Also, if i were to upgrade one of these parts, what would change the performance the most?

    submitted by /u/cloutdogger
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get a PC which is vr ready and the vr with it for 1400$ CAD or should I get the ps4 pro with the VR

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:26 PM PST

    My question is, is it possible to buy a pc strong enough to play vr and also the vr headset with it for 1400$? Or should I buy a psvr setup?

    submitted by /u/cyanira
    [link] [comments]

    Build Advice. Ryzen 5 2600?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:22 PM PST

    Hello, r/buildapc I was planning on building a fairly budget build before all of these price increases. I have found a Ryzen 5 2600 and was wonder if it would be worth it to pick It up for $120 (i might be able to save $10) or just wait it out. My plan is to get the 1660s when possible.

    submitted by /u/EnderWolf678
    [link] [comments]

    Extra Graphics card.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:19 PM PST

    So I've had an extra gpu for several months that i do not use (5700xt).

    Owned it for a few months till i got a 2070S for my birthday...what is a good place to sell this part?

    sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask such a question.

    submitted by /u/therafnator
    [link] [comments]

    Can I test a 5700xt on an older mobo

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 11:02 AM PST

    I have an asrock z77 that I want to test if my 5700 xt is working or if it is something else. Can anyone verify it will work? https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/

    submitted by /u/mitchern
    [link] [comments]

    Wait for a GeForce 3080/90 or go for a Quadro RTX 4000 (possibly 2)?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 08:10 AM PST

    Hey all! Considering the difficulty I'm having getting a 3080 or 3090 card I thought of possibly getting one or two Quadro RTX 4000 cards because they seem to be readily available.

    Now I know the Quadros aren't meant for gaming but for workstation type tasks but I think that may be what I'm looking for? I spend most of my time on my computer using Affinity Designer, Blender, Vectorworks, and other 3D visualization type things. My thought process is that maybe the quadro would be actually better in my use case? I don't game at all really, and if I do its literally just Planet Coaster, so that part isn't very important to me.

    Parts that are confusing to me is that if you go off of price, a 3090FE is about 1500 and I would be able to get two quadro 4000's for like 1800, so is this an improvement or are these like old dumb cards.

    So basically what my questions are

    - would having an RTX 4000 (or two) be a better option, or wait it out for a 3080 or 3090?

    - does anyone know what the Quadro RTX 4000 comparable specs would be to any GeForce Card

    - Is my reasoning sound? Like am I missing something here that is important?

    Basically I'm just kinda confused lol. Anyways thanks for any help y'all have to offer! :)

    submitted by /u/jkannenberg1
    [link] [comments]

    Need a new case and a CPU cooler with strong size limitations

    Posted: 16 Feb 2021 01:01 PM PST

    Hey !

    It's my first post here so... Sorry if it's in the wrong "category". Also, sorry in advance for my english, it's not my native language so... I will try to do my best ! :x

    Here is my issue: I'm looking to upgrade my current PC because I have a serious bottleneck problem with my old CPU. But I have a big problem. I can't find a case that is small enough, but can hold my graphic card AND a good CPU cooler.

    My current PC is (more or less): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FDBHLP (not sure how to include it so... here is the link :x)

    Basically, I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5800x. So I choose all the components... But I have some serious troubles with the case (for an ATX motherboard).

    Currently, I have a Cooler Master Elite 431 wich is only 427mm tall, that can fit under my desk (I have 45cm MAX, 44cm is better), wich can also hold my 1080ti, a decent CPU cooler and a lot of HDD/SSD.

    This case will stay with most of the parts of my current configuration, but I can't find a new case for the new one...

    Basically, I wanted the Corsair Carbide Spec-05 or the Carbide 100R, wich were good, but I can't put my GPU in them... Excepted the Spec-05, but with a ventirad height limitation of 150mm, wich is too small to put a decent cooler for a monster like the Ryzen 7 5800x...

    I need some advices please, either on a good case pretty similar to the one I own currently wich can hold my GPU and a decent cooler without being too tall.

    Or a cooler for the Ryzen 7 5800x that can fit in the Spec-05 (or similar... wich is complicated).

    Thank you in advance for your answers !

    submitted by /u/Wiligan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment