• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 24, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 24, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 24, 2020


    Simple Questions - December 24, 2020

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 04:06 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know who needs to hear this but... (Gamma Correction with monitor)

    Posted: 23 Dec 2020 08:25 PM PST

    1. update your monitor's drivers.
    2. in windows 10 search bar type, "calibrate display color"
    3. hit "next"

    I was testing out my new monitor using "Blade Runner 2049" and everything was pitch black or close to it. I adjusted brightness and contrast on the back of my Omen 27i for a very long time. Nothing seemed to help. Just very black or very "bright versions of black" which basically looked like black with a glare. After I adjusted the gamma, BOOM perfect. I'm a noob, just thought I'd throw this out there for other noobs.

    submitted by /u/SheFoundMyUzername
    [link] [comments]

    I'm building my first pc tomorrow and I'm so excited

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:39 AM PST

    That's all I have to say, merry Christmas

    submitted by /u/taylor_bradle08
    [link] [comments]

    List of YouTube resources for component reviews

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 05:04 AM PST

    Since most of us are spending more time dreaming about components we can't buy than actually building right now, I thought I would compile a list of YouTube channels that excel at specific components. I know this isn't even close to a comprehensive list so please add.

    Cases:

    Gamers Nexus - If you are looking for science based analysis of cases with an emphasis on air flow and build, GN is the place to go.

    Optimum Tech - One area GN doesn't cover in depth is small form factor cases. If you are looking for a smaller than ATX case, Optimum Tech is the best source.

    Monitors:

    Hardware Unboxed - Going to admit that once I found HUB monitor reviews, I stopped looking anywhere else. Detailed review with science behind them and despite being Australian based, US pricing is always included when available.

    Keyboards, Mice and accessories:

    Random Frank P - Im not a huge keyboard guy but Frank is. Reviews include sound samples so you know exactly how loud you are going to be when you forget to mute your mic. His "Best under $" series is a must see for cool accessories.

    Hardware Canucks - Keyboard and mice and headsets Oh My!

    EposVox - Cameras, mics and capture devices.

    Retro and low end builds:

    ETA Prime - One of my favorite YouTubers for his retro builds and turning Craigslist garbage into gaming monsters. Want to turn a Dell crap box into a gamer? ETA will show you how.

    Low Spec Gamer - More comprehensive look at gaming on the lower end. Includes a lot more software based items than ETA.

    Motherboards:

    Gamers Nexus/Actually Hardcore Overclocking - GN partners with Buildzoid from Actually Hardcore Overclocking to produce hyper detailed analysis of motherboards. This is full nerd stuff and I dont always understand what he is talking about but if you do, its the best. If his GN reviews are not nerdy enough, go to his channel for even deeper looks.

    Hardware Unboxed - Think of them as a plain language version of Buildzoid. They cover what you really need to know about a motherboard like if it has adequate cooling on VRMs. Almost as importantly, they will call out bad motherboards. Their review of an MSI product actually trigged a change that made it better.

    Thats my list. You will note I dont have video cards listed. Thats because there are so many good places to get video card reviews including a lot of the channels above. I dont think there is any "go to" source for video card reviews for me. I tend to look across a number of different reviews because every reviewer has a slight different view of things. Also, I dont really know a youtube source for power supplies that I would single out. Same with CPU coolers. GN is building up some great data on CPU coolers but its still really early so I dont think they are the "go to" for coolers that they are for cases.

    Hope this helps someone.

    EDIT: corrected Buildzoid.

    submitted by /u/ksuwildkat
    [link] [comments]

    Christmas Build Turning into Disaster... Any help would be great

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 08:12 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I'm pulling my hair out...

    I check the cables, I checked the ram was properly fitting, and still nothing.

    The fans are spinning and the lights come on, but I'm getting a blank screen. I even downloaded a the bios onto a flash drive and have it in the usb to help me boot into BIOS and still nothing.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Ryzen 5 3600XT, Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX, AMD RX 5700XT. I'm not sure what to do next. I've even unplugged and replugged everything back in to make sure the connections were good.

    Please, help!!

    submitted by /u/Carp8DM
    [link] [comments]

    Is 500$ enough for a decent PC?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:46 AM PST

    Im trying to build 2 Pcs one for me one for my Fiance and I was wondering if 500 for each PC is decent im just looking for 50-60 FPS and medium settings for normal games modded minecraft skyrim etc etc no Cyberpunk or nothing

    submitted by /u/Sir_Gibbles
    [link] [comments]

    Why do people pay such a premium for Corsair fans?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 06:37 AM PST

    Genuinely curious. I just saw someone's build on pcpartpicker and they spent like $240 on 6 fans. I can understand paying a premium for Noctua fans because they just straight up have the best performance, but in my experience Corsair fans are actually quite loud for relatively poor thermal performance, and I've always heard that iCue is absolute trash.

    submitted by /u/mikemd1
    [link] [comments]

    Did I just brick my pc?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:32 AM PST

    I really need help. I disabled slow intel start up in my task manager because I thought it would improve bootup times. I restarted and the screen is just black and wont boot up. Am I fucked?

    submitted by /u/lolzmadmaster
    [link] [comments]

    My first PC build! I'm happy with it! ✨

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:41 AM PST

    It's my PC first build. I'm so happy! These are the parts:

    fractal define 7 dark tempered glass

    AMD 5800X CPU

    Asus X570-E gaming motherboard

    Coolermaster MasterAir MA620M

    Trident-Z 16 GB RGB RAM 3400

    Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2 SSD

    AMD RX 5700XT 8GB GPU*

    ASUS ROG-STRIX-650G PSU

    *(will be upgraded to Nvidia 3000 series, but will do perfectly fine in the meantime)

    What do you guys think? :D I really can't wait to build it! 🥳🥳😁😁

    Wanted to share my happiness with you! ✨have a wonderful Christmas 🎄

    submitted by /u/Zassyn
    [link] [comments]

    2000k budget for a workstation. Let’s talk insane ssd setups...

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:31 AM PST

    Through my employer, I have 2k to spend on personal tech, but I can't figure out what on. My desktop is an old 6core broadwell with a 950pro and a Quadro p2000. It mostly serves as my general use desktop, media server and occasional game. It still works great for what it does, but it is time for something new.

    I plan on re-using my quadro, but I'm flexible on the rest. The thing is - I want to get some crazy ssd speeds with 2-4 980pros in raid 0 for ram like throughput (24gbps).

    What would you guys go with?

    submitted by /u/throwaway56435413185
    [link] [comments]

    Pc shuts off under cpu load.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:01 AM PST

    I have just built my friend a new pc. I have built 2 computers before and had no issues with those. The pc posted just fine and i installed windows as well as all of the proper drivers. I then installed heaven and ran it with no issues. I then ran cinebench r20 and shortly after beginning the multi core test the computer shut off. The temps were hovering around 75c but after I turned the computer back on the max temp read 95c which is what would force the motherboard to shut the computer off. Idle temps are low 40s which is a little bit higher than normal but not too alarming. The cpu is a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a stock cooler. Everything in the build is brand new please let me know what I can do.

    Edit: The single core benchmark is stable at 73C and no crashes.

    submitted by /u/DGSerum
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished 011 Dynamic XL build. Can't get ARGB on front to work.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 12:38 PM PST

    I just finished a build in the 011 Dynamic XL from Lian Li with a custom loop. Looks awesome.

    Problem is, I have the ARGB connector from the case plugged into the motherboard, but no luck in controlling it using Aura.

    The LED strip works with the integrated RGB controller, but can't be controlled by Aura. Anyone know is there a special thing that needs to be done for this case to recognize the motherboard? I'm stumped and not sure if I should e-mail Lian Li or not.

    Things i've tried,
    -Tested the motherboard ARGB connector for power and ground with a multimeter. Tested working.
    -Tested the motherboard with another ARGB strip. Tested working.
    -Checked the connections to the RGB controller in the case, all are plugged in.

    submitted by /u/ElementalMist
    [link] [comments]

    Finally going 1440p, need help

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 08:36 AM PST

    I'm finally going 1440p this year and I was hoping for some advice, I lowered my options down to two I really like and just wanted recommendations on which and help choosing. I have a NVidia GPU. Both 500$

    Acer Nitro XZ342CK - Ultrawide 34in, Freesync (GSync Compatible), 144hz, 1440p, 1ms, VA

    Acer Predator XB271HU - 27in, GSync, 144hz, 1440p, 4ms, IPS

    submitted by /u/mattyb423
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading GPU from 2070s to 3070?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 03:23 AM PST

    Dear Buildapc community, I hope you are all doing fine.

    Right now I have a msi ventus 2070 super, just found on stock a msi gaming x 3070.

    I am thinking about upgrading, I live in a country when usually pc parts are more expensive.

    I can sell the 2070 super for 480eu and can get the msi 3070 gaming x trio for 810eu.

    Is it worthy? Should I just keep my 2070 super? I want to upgrade, but not sure if it is worth, I think the 3070 is a bit overpriced but I couldn't find in stock never.

    What is your idea?

    Thanks

    Edit: Thanks everyone for replays. I will keep my 2070 super and wait for 3080 for that price. Love the comments

    submitted by /u/build85
    [link] [comments]

    I need help deciding between a prebuilt cyber power vs my own PC

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 12:31 PM PST

    Windows installer saying disk space not allocated and error 0x80300024 showing up

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 10:13 AM PST

    I was trying to install windows on my new PC but when I try to choose my Hard Drive it says there's no disk space allocated and doesn't show my HDD name. But when I check my motherboard bios the Hard drive shows up and is actually installed If I try to install windows on it the error message 0x80300024 shows up and most tutorials say it's caused because of having more than one HDD or ssd installed even tough I only have one HDD installed. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

    submitted by /u/Seeph754
    [link] [comments]

    How is this deal? Should I take it?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 09:32 AM PST

    I've been slowly saving money and watching online sales for good deals for my first build. I'm relatively low budget but obviously still want good performance. I found someone locally selling the following parts: Ryzen 3600, Asrock B450, Silent Power Sfx L 600WT gold, Evga Gtx 1080 For $550, is this a good deal? All I have currently is a Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB, because I found it for a good price. What are your guys thoughts?

    submitted by /u/BasicallyAnEnt
    [link] [comments]

    Built my First PC with Help from this Subreddit!

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:35 AM PST

    I recently built a PC (PCPartPicker link) for the first time and this subreddit was so much help! I never posted anything, its just that this has so much info that helped me with my PC problems. I just made my reddit account last night, so not to be weird but the first thing I wanted to do is say thanks to this community for being so great!

    submitted by /u/Alphagamer126
    [link] [comments]

    Didn't know I had to link my Windows to my Microsoft account. What now?

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 12:54 PM PST

    So just like the title states, I had no idea that I had to link my Windows to my Microsoft account before changing hardware. Now I can't personalize my computer like changing the wallpaper amongst other things. There's also now an annoying, "Activate Windows, Go to Settings to activate Windows" in the bottom right corner of my screen. I don't have a product key either. I had a friend build me this computer a few years back. I paid for a legit version of Windows, but wasn't given a product key. How do I fix this issue?

    submitted by /u/Audiolex
    [link] [comments]

    First Build Troubles

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 12:53 PM PST

    I recently completed my first PC build and it went pretty well, however I can't get my motherboard to recognize my internal SSD. Have tried to do it through BIOS and haven't had any luck. Any advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated!

    I completed the build using pcpartpicker.com

    The motherboard is an ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PCKcCJ/asrock-b450-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-pro4

    The SSD is a Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2 2280 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6j448d/western-digital-blue-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0b

    submitted by /u/xWHBv
    [link] [comments]

    Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ vs Dell S2721DGF

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 12:45 PM PST

    I'm looking for a 144Hz+, 1440p-4k, IPS, G-Sync Compatible+ with a low response time.

    I've seen a lot of people recommend the Dell S2721DGF but these seem to be extremely scarce in the UK while the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ seems to have stock everywhere and the specs also seem to match the Dell.

    Looking further into reviews the Dell does seem to come out on top but the lack of supply in the UK is pushing me towards the Asus. The problem with the Asus is that a lot of reviews seem to have issues with IPS glow.

    Does anyone have any personal experience with either monitor or have a comparison of both monitors that they can personally vouch for?

    Getting a bit stuck on trying to pull the trigger or wait it out.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/_Dipstix_
    [link] [comments]

    (Crosspost) My spare SSD and HDD show in the bios, but not the boot area nor the boot menu.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 06:55 AM PST

    ASUS B550-F MOBO here, if that makes a difference. Evo 970, 860, and a Seagate HDD, all function and ALL sata plugs are plugged in, even did some of them several times.

    I just built a new PC. I know both my old SSD and HDD work, I've used them. My new main drive is an m.2 NVME drive.

    Yes, I quadruple checked to make sure all sata cables are plugged in. I even did it in order of boot drive as M.2 will be first. SSD second, HDD third.

    They even show in my File Directory and I can move things to and from them. I just need to boot into my SSD and I do not feel like taking out my m.2 and unplugging my HDD. There has to be something causing this.

    Edit: Shows here too.

    submitted by /u/C-4
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen Master versus PBO versus Manual OC for Ryzen 5800X

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 12:13 PM PST

    I've always used BIOS to overclock. I've been overclocking for 20 years but I'm definitely an amateur because of how infrequently I need to do it. Usually just run a baseline test, fiddle with the ratio and voltage, run another test to verify improvements, done and forgotten. The last time I overclocked anything was a Ryzen 1600.

    I just picked up a 5800X and I decided to download Ryzen Master to double check cpu temps and voltage. The only thing I've done so far in BIOS is to overclock my ram and change the timings. When I ran my baseline test using Cinebench R23, I was hitting ~4.6 GHz on default settings. Decided to check out the Ryzen master Auto OC profile, ran the test and was only hitting ~4.5.

    I've read everything from that it's unnecessary to OC the new Ryzens to just enable PBO in the Bios to PBO is trash you need to manually OC, and at this point I'm pretty confused.

    I'm fine with leaving it with the default settings and getting 4.6 GHz under load. I'm only hitting ~71C and 1.37 volts peak so there seems to be a little room to run yet, and I do enjoy the challenge up to a point. Just a little confused as to why the consensus seems to be all over the place, and wondering what other people have experienced with the new chips.

    CPU - Ryzen 5800X CPU cooling - Noctua D15 GPU - MSI 2080 Memory - Patriot Viper Steel 4400 Motherboard - ASUS Tuf Gaming Plus Power supply - Corsair RM850x

    submitted by /u/slothvader
    [link] [comments]

    Question about graphics card

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 07:37 AM PST

    So ive just bought all my pc parts but the graphics card wont be delivered for another 3 weeks and i have all the other parts now.

    Can i build and turn the pc on just start to downloading games, files etc to get it ready so when the graphics card arrives i can just install it and start gaming straight away.

    Or, will turning the pc on without a gpu damage it somehow or cause the cpu to partition/get strained by having to handle graphics too?

    This is my first ever pc build so I apologise if my question sounds ignorant or dumb.

    Relevant Parts list: Cpu: ryzen 5 2600 Gpu: geforce 1660 OC aorus Motherboard: gigabyte b450m ds3h Ram: 2x 8gb corsair vengance 3200mhz

    submitted by /u/PandaZz0215
    [link] [comments]

    Spilt soda on my PC, please help

    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 11:58 AM PST

    I spilt soda in my PC. It stopped working, cleaned the HDD, worked again, then it started to smoke and won't boot now. I think my mothboard is shot but looking for a second set of eyes. Do you think it fried the rest of the parts or just the mobo? Video attached with more detail - https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMcEpjRhFsamSdQi9

    Sequence of events:

    It was :( and instead of instantly turning off and cleaning the following happened:

    • it BSOD after about 30 seconds
    • I then tried to power up and it couldn't find boot media
    • I cleaned the SSD and connectors
    • It booted and I gamed for about 2 hours
    • It started smoking! then it hard shut down, I panicked and pulled the power from the wall
    • Pick up where the video is. Trying to figure out if its worth salvaging.

    Edit - I found the source of the burn! It looks like one of the HDDs had the soda in its connector. The HDD bay is where 95% of the liquid appears to have went. - https://imgur.com/a/62PWxyE

    Thank you so much for any insight you might have.

    submitted by /u/willabizzle
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment