• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 17, 2020

    Build a PC: Now I get why some parents love one kid more than the other. TWIN BUILD

    Build a PC: Now I get why some parents love one kid more than the other. TWIN BUILD


    Now I get why some parents love one kid more than the other. TWIN BUILD

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 06:24 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/UazRg27

    So, the place I work for needed two new computers to do some coding/machine learning. Having built two PC's this year and having developed a satisfaction in doing so, I jumped at the opportunity to satiate my hunger.

    Right now our currency isn't worth much so we couldn't go all out on these builds, but still I think they were reasonably spec'd:

    MOBO: ASUS PRIME B450M

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3500X

    GPU: EVGA/ZOTAC RTX 2060 (the store only had one of each brand)

    RAM: G.Skillz 16GB 3000Mhz (2x8Gb)

    PSU: Corsair CV550

    SSD: WDBlue 500Gb NVME

    Case: CoolerMaster Q300L

    Onto the build:

    I prepared my work surface, gathered all the parts and brackets, procured the necessary tools (Livestrong bracelet, army knife and tweezers) and went to work. I assembled the motherboard for the first one and put it into the case, cable-managed, closed it up and went ahead to plug it in and POST it.

    I press the IO button and - voila - I see the POST screen, with pride, joy and relief. I set XMP up and go forth to the next one.

    Almost like a deja-vu, I assembled the second one, cheekily mounted it into the case without POST'ing it (I was 3/3 afterall), inebriated with the feeling of my prior success. I plug it in, LEDs light up, coolers spin, but alas no POST screen. FUCK.

    Time to check all PSU connections, maybe they didn't go all the way in. Nope, all clicked and connected. Okay, maybe if I plug the monitor into the DVI port instead of HDMI? Costs nothing to try. Yeah, that didn't work either. Did the RAM click all the way? Yes. Maybe if I try only one stick? No difference. Okay, let's swap RAM sticks with the other PC. The other one still turns on, this one still gives no sign. Is the GPU plugged correctly into the PCIe slot? Yes. Okay, let's swap GPU's. Still the same. Okay, now I'm getting worried. Maybe there's something wrong with the connections to the case? Maybe the USB connector to the front panel is shorting? I've seen some folks having this issue. No, no difference when I unplug it. shit shit shit. Let's check all connections again. No signal. Does the MOBO have an issue perhaps? Seems strange, the lights turn on and I have spinning coolers. I'm thinking maybe the CPU is at fault? Fuck, shouldn't have bought it on Aliexpress. Okay, I'll unplug the CPU cooler, clean all the goo, swap them and check. But before I do that, with my patience dwindling and hope hanging by a thread, I try to turn it on one last time. And in a couple seconds, the monitor lights up, a huge ASUS logo shining in front of my eyes. Could it be? I turn it off and on again. The POST screen appears to me yet again. I reset it again, and again it comes to greet me. I boot it up, and it works flawlessly.

    Okay, I'll consider this a win even though I don't know what went wrong - and what eventually went right. Maybe it was the baby Jesus and the Christmas spirit, I'll never know. But I do love your older brother better, he didn't make me go through all this when he was your age.

    Edit: spelling.

    submitted by /u/le_jeanluc
    [link] [comments]

    Friendly reminder to enable XMP profile when buying RAM with higher clockspeeds!

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 03:53 PM PST

    So I bought some 3200Mhz Ram sticks a while back, only to find out today that they had been running at 2133Mhz (yikes, big oof). I was watching a video from JayzTwoCents and at a point in the video he was talking about XMP. I was like: "Did I even enable XMP". Turns out I didn't. Enabling it really made a difference. Easiest way to gain (or lose) frames ever.

    EDIT: Wow guys thanks. I don't know what happened. Just woke up and apparently this post blew up. I want to add a few notes to my post. Hopefully this will answer some of the questions in the comments. I'll also try to answer some of them 1 by 1.

    • What is XMP (sometimes DOCP or EOCP): Just as you are able to overclock a cpu you can overclock your RAM (example: changing the frequency from 2133 to 3200). If you want to do it manually, you have to change timings and voltage and just wait if your pc is stable or not. XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is the easy way of doing it. If you bought a 3200Mhz advertised module recently, chances are it's currently running at a lower speed. So most of the time RAM does not run at those higher clock speeds out of the box. You can use CPU-Z to find out what speed you RAM is currently running at.

    • Should I enable XMP: The difference can vary. Some report unstable systems. Others gain up to 15 frames per second in various games. You can always try it and revert back if you find out your pc is unstable. Using XMP won't void RAM warranty but can void CPU warranty. If do not want to void warranty, ask your cpu manufacturer if it's okay to use the higher frequency with you CPU. Other than that, no harm in trying. XMP is very safe.

    • How to enable XMP: First restart your pc and mash the F2/DEL button (varies per manufacturer) get to the BIOS menu. For me it was under the memory section. eXtreme Memory Profile (XMP): enabled.

    submitted by /u/CallMeCarbonara
    [link] [comments]

    I think I managed to preorder a 3080 yesterday on Amazon...?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 06:35 AM PST

    Hey guys.

    I managed to preorder an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming yesterday on Amazon at USD$800, but... Those preorders, I don't know if there's a chancel they'll cancel some of them afterwards just because there isn't enough stock or whatever?

    If the preorder went through, am I actually getting the darn thing?

    submitted by /u/GreggJ
    [link] [comments]

    $360 kids 2020 PC build

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 07:13 AM PST

    Click here to view build vid: https://streamable.com/9f5pmj

    We have two teens, into PC Steam games, and Roblox multiplayer games. They like to play together, and regularly commandeer the family PC (aka my PC), and my wife's laptop. They asked for a PC for Christmas, so...

    Following build and software install (free Win10 Pro x64 upgrade, free MS Office 365 (Stu), free Bitdefender, 7zip, wireless printer, etc), time to rewrap and put back under tree.

    MicroCenter.com

    • Cooler Master N200 mATX Mini-Tower Computer Case (includes (2) fans, supports (5) 120mm system fans)

    • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Picasso 3.7GHz Quad-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler, and Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics

    • Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard (CPU 12v 4+4)

    • Inland Professional 240GB SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA III 6GB/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

    • G.Skill Aegis Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL16 Single Channel Desktop Memory

    • LG GH24NSC0B 24x Internal DVD Rewritable SATA Drive (really optional. $14)

    • TP-LINK TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI-E Adapter

    • Solid Gear SDGR-400BX 400W ATX Non-Modular Power Supply (replaced with modular PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 600W for the CPU 12v 4+4)*

    Peripherals

    • Logitech full size wireless keyboard & Mouse $20 at Bestbuy.

    Note

    *The build should work with the 400W PSU 12v 4pin, long as you don't plan to overclock. I had a 600W 12v 4+4 PSU in another older build PC that only had the 12v 4 CPU Motherboard socket, so swapped PSUs.

    A Solid Gear 650W PSU with the 12v 4+4, molex, sata, and 6pin connectors is only around $20 more. In general, whatever PSU you go with, be sure that the PSU includes around 3 or so molex connectors (for fans). I like to go at least 3 case fans. The Cooler Master N200 includes 2 case fans, and supports 5 120mm fans.

    submitted by /u/Nickkel71
    [link] [comments]

    First Build complete - now this...

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 09:23 AM PST

    So I don't want to go into too much detail but 2020 has been a hot mess for me - even more than for most of you.

    Almost lost it all and so I decided that at the end of this awful year I'd reward myself with with a really decent first gaming rig.

    Just a few core data

    • ASUS 3080 TUF
    • Ryzen 5900x
    • Kraken Z63 AIO
    • NZXT 710i (yeah, I know, I gotta activate RGB...)
    • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 MHz CL18
    • 2 TB Samsung Evo 970
    • 6 TB Barracuda HDD
    • ASUS ROG Strix X-570 Mainboard
    • 850W Bequiet Dark Power Pro 11

    I was sweating through the entire build process and I almost couldn't believe it when the thing started up on the first try!

    It was a glorious 24 hours of 4k Ultra Raytracing gaming but then my LG 55OLED CX9LA decided to have a display error... So it's gonna be a few tough days of being back to 1080p gaming before I get a replacement but I think I'll make it 😉

    Anyway, I actually just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your great support over these last months. I couldn't have done it without you guys - you really are the best community a new builder could wish for! Thank you so much and if anyone is up for a round of Troy just let me know 😀

    https://m.imgur.com/a/NueXfUl

    submitted by /u/LeobenCharlie
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good pc to buy for $800?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 05:27 AM PST

    Found this listing with the specs included for the pc and they're asking about 800 but could probably bring it to 700.

    Ryzen 7 3700x

    Asrock b550am

    16gb ddr4 ram

    RX 5700xt

    240gb ssd

    2tbh hdd

    600psu

    submitted by /u/JustAskingKwestions
    [link] [comments]

    Newegg emails: 6:17pm Your PayPal acc has been charged. 6:18pm Out of stock

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 08:58 PM PST

    Now I'm out of the only cash I had to buy a gpu for the next 3-5 business days. Look I get it, they dont have the stock on a new rx 6800 no one does. But its unacceptable that they charge me and email me a minute later saying they cannot fill my order AND cannot promptly get me a refund. Spent 45 minutes with costumer support just to rub some salt in too.

    "Hello darkness my old friend."

    submitted by /u/MasterSpears
    [link] [comments]

    Building a gaming... laptop!

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 08:40 AM PST

    I'm building a gaming laptop by taking the motherboard of a laptop, putting an eGPU into it, making a new (metal) case, and replacing the keyboard. I'm posting this in case anyone has any warnings, tips, suggestions, or similar.

    submitted by /u/Computerizedunicorn
    [link] [comments]

    What 1440p 144hz IPS monitor do you guys recommend? I’ve seen lots of people complaining about bad viewing angles, IPS glow, black levels, etc.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 06:01 AM PST

    SSD+HDD or just SSD?

    Posted: 16 Dec 2020 02:31 PM PST

    Hey, I was planning on building a pc in the upcoming months. I'm a complete noob at this, so forgive me if this is an obvious decision.

    On my laptop I currently have a 100gb SSD and a 1tb HDD, with windows, chrome etc on the ssd and the rest on the hdd. I was planning on doing the same thing on my new pc, with a slightly bigger ssd and a 2tb hdd. Would this be better than simply buying a 1 or 2 tb ssd?

    After some quick google searches, I was thinking a Sabrent Rocket 256 and a Seagate Barracuda 2tb. Could I get better value for around the same price (100£) with only a bigger ssd?

    Thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/Comfortable_Head_281
    [link] [comments]

    Managed to snag a 3080 on Newegg, but I just realized my PSU only has 6-pin connections. Is this going to be a problem?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 09:16 AM PST

    My PSU only has 6 pin connections and the GPU requires 2 8-pins connections.

    Currently, I am using a 6 to 6+2 cable to power my 1080 and I was wondering if I can just do the same for my 3080 by simply adding a second identical cable. Or do I need to buy a new PSU? (Getting a new one is on my list anyway since I want to get something quieter, but I was hoping to stretch the expenses over a few months)

    submitted by /u/silversam
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good case that has good airflow and is black for a good price that holds the RTX 3080 Zotac Trinity?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 10:23 AM PST

    PSU Question

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 12:41 PM PST

    Hi all!

    I recently got a prebuilt as a work computer for my little sister for school and other things.

    https://www.microcenter.com/product/612000/powerspec-b677-desktop-computer

    That's the specific one. I'll be getting a 3070 for myself soon so I have a spare 1060. With this prebuilt being a 400W, will the PSU be enough for a 1060? If not, what would be enough?

    submitted by /u/DarkImpetus
    [link] [comments]

    Getting 32gb ram stopped my crashes in cyberpunk

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 12:54 PM PST

    I was playing cyberpunk at 5120x1440 with my 3080 and getting crashes with 16gb of ram. I noticed before each crash the commit charge in msi afterburner would shoot up to 30+gb and then crash, even though i was using only maybe 9-10gb of ram. I switched to 32gb of ram and my crashes went away.

    submitted by /u/No_Lab_4306
    [link] [comments]

    How do i install wondows once i built it

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 03:21 AM PST

    Im building my first pc in 2 weeks and i dont know how im supposed to install windows. Ive watched a couple of videos on it but the ones ive seen say different things. Please tell me the easiest way to do it.

    submitted by /u/CanadianTreeSauce
    [link] [comments]

    No power to usb slots

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 01:43 PM PST

    Fans work fine, all leds working, when I boot the pc the bios screen shows but can't get into it as all usb slots don't work (keyboard and mouse). Tried switching up the ram and still doesn't work.

    Specs are: GeForce GTX 1070 Asus ROG STRIX B550-e Ryzen 7 5800x

    submitted by /u/noahh16
    [link] [comments]

    Haven't build a computer in 10 years, a few questions...

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 10:50 AM PST

    Hey, so it has been a loooong time since I built a computer and I'm thinking about getting the following builds:

    1st build (better, but more expensive)

    Hard Drive WD Black SN850, 1TB $230
    Case: NR200P $100
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3800 F4-3800C18D-32GTZN $200
    Power Supply: Corsair SF750W $250
    CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X $550
    GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 $700
    Motherboard: X570 ITX Motherboard...either ASROCK X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX Tb3....ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming....or GIGABYTE X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI $250
    Total/w + 10% Tax: $2,510

    2nd build (cheaper, less wattage/heat)

    Hard Drive WD Black SN850, 1TB $230
    Case: NR200P $100
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3800 F4-3800C18D-32GTZN $200
    Power Supply: Corsair SF600W $145
    CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X $300
    GPU: GeForce RTX 3070 $500
    Motherboard: X570 ITX Motherboard...either ASROCK X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX Tb3....ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming....or GIGABYTE X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI $250
    Total/w + 10% Tax: $1,850

    Goals: Quiet, powerful enough for my needs (gaming medium to heavy, 32"+, 4k, IPS, 120Hz monitor), spin up some VM's

    A few quick questions:

    • Is the extra wattage (and therefore, heat) a problem with ITX builds which could result in cooling issues? I want the computer to be quiet for the most part.
    • Should I wait for a new motherboard that is coming around the corner? I mean, I'll probably have to wait 2 months for these parts since everything is sold out...
    • And finally, due to price/heat/wattage, it seems like the 2nd, cheaper, build is the better options...any final thoughts?

    Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/polygabathorne
    [link] [comments]

    ASRock x570 Steel Legend and Ryzen 5 3600 are shipping home... do I have to update the bios ?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 01:36 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    I bought a new PC to replace my i5-3570k with:

    ASRock x570 SL

    Ryzen 5 3600

    2x16 GB Gskill 3200 Aegis

    980pro 500gb

    RX550 2gb

    Do I have to update motherboard bios to install the Ryzen 3600? I don't have any other AMD CPU at home.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SaintTDI
    [link] [comments]

    Should I install windows 7 to get the free upgrade to windows 10?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 10:39 AM PST

    This is my first build. A friend has given me a copy of windows 7 so that I could use the free upgrade to windows 10. I was wondering if this was a good idea or should I just buy a copy of windows 10 and install that instead?

    submitted by /u/aft236
    [link] [comments]

    First Build for RTX 3090 FE

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 01:05 PM PST

    Hey Forum!

    I got my RTX 3090 FE today. Now that the worst part is over I am planning my build and I am curious to hear your suggestions for the rest of the components. This is my first time building a PC so I need your help, LOL! I am gonna be using the PC for gaming/streaming and programming/coding. I would prefer to play at 4k res with it.

    What would you guys change?

    cpu amd 5900x
    ram corsair vengeance 2x16 at 3200mhz (maybe 3600?)
    Psu corsair rm850x (or even 1000w?)
    case lian li 011 dynamic (maybe xl needed?)
    SSD samsung 980 pro (maybe 970 better for my needs?)
    HDD ironwolf 4tb
    Noctua cooler (not sure which one)
    mobo x570 strix gaming e

    I have a 5900x coming in the next two weeks, which I am not sure about, because there might be better options for my needs.
    Furthermore, i'm also not quite sure if a 850w power supply will be stable enough.
    Concerning the motherboard, I believe going with a x570 strix is good enough for my needs.
    Ram at 3200mhz is also a question mark.

    Any ideas would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/HetHelgaTre
    [link] [comments]

    Rare ghosted image from one PC displayed on the same monitor when connected to an entirely different PC?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 09:19 AM PST

    So this is pretty wild, I have never in my life seen or heard of this but here we are. For ease of understanding i'm going to refer to the computers referenced in this post at PC#1 and PC#2. The monitor discussed in a new LG Ultragear GL850 (27GL850) purchased within the last 6 months.
    PC#1 = personal gaming computer I built
    PC#2 = work machine

    So i'm having a bit of a meltdown trying to figure out what the hell has happened to the GPU in PC#1 that was built awhile back. This morning I was playing a game and experienced a major graphics crash mid game that froze the screen and required me to do a hard restart. Upon doing so I couldn't get the GPU (GTX 1060 3gb) to post for unknown reasons, it's fan would spin briefly when booting on the computer and then stop after a few seconds and never displayed anything on the monitor. I decided to try getting something to display by plugging my monitor into the on board graphics on PC#1 which worked and I was able to log in. I fired up a few programs to see what would happen and noticed most of the windows had an intermittent flicker on them. After going full screen with an app I decided to close the window and noticed a ghosted image of the window still displayed on the screen. Frustrated and needing to start work for the day I decided to unplug PC#1 and set it aside until I can open it open and examine my hardware later today.

    Here's where the wild part begins. After experiencing the ghosted image of the full screen app on PC#1, I unplugged everything, set it aside and switched the monitor input over to HDMI 1 which is the input for PC#2. Upon doing so I could see the same ghosted image from PC#1 displayed on the desktop of PC#2. This has left me in awe and I've not even the slightest understanding of this. The same image that was ghosted on the display from an entirely different PC was still displayed onto the desktop of PC#2. PC#1 was connected to the monitor via a display port cable while PC#2 uses one of the HDMI inputs so they aren't even using the same cable. This ghosted image was very visible as I began writing this, about half way through I noticed it had become a significantly fainter but was still apparent, by this point it would appear to have disappeared entirely.

    Again I have no idea what's going on with PC#1 which worries the hell out of me but I am left clueless about this ghosted image still being displayed on the monitor when connected to a different machine. Anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this?

    submitted by /u/Chris_Xanadu
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to buy an used i7-7700k for 200€ or a new ryzen 5 2600 for 169€ and an MSI b450 tomahawk max for 100€

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 11:21 AM PST

    My current motherboard is an MSI Z170A M7 and my gpu is an evga 1070ti (the one with the single fan)

    I will use it mainly for gaming

    Thank you!

    Edit: ryzen 5 2600X for 169€

    submitted by /u/alllnamesweretakenn
    [link] [comments]

    2080 Ti Aorus on eBay, seller listed again the same item after I purchased it, is this a scam? Help

    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 08:51 AM PST

    I just bought a 2080 ti Aorus Waterforce for 286 eurobucks on ebay, but now I see that the seller listed exactly the same item again but adding a number in the end. Is this a scammer technique? should I cancel the order?

    https://i.ibb.co/z47qpPh/Capture.png

    submitted by /u/Poemandres
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment