• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 24, 2020

    Hardware support: Swapping NH-D15S for Liquid Freezer II 280 results (mini review)

    Hardware support: Swapping NH-D15S for Liquid Freezer II 280 results (mini review)


    Swapping NH-D15S for Liquid Freezer II 280 results (mini review)

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    As per the title. I am using a LanCool II Mesh case, and have a 10850k running at a pretty high voltage (because I lost the silicon lottery!), and recently got an MSI Gaming X Trio 3080. The 3080 spews heat into the case (unsurprising given it can easily use 350 watts or more). So things were getting a little toasty, so I figured I'd try a AIO. In particular I didn't like the CPU temps while gaming, which I guessed were related to the 3080 dumping heat into the case (even tho the lancool 2 mesh has good airflow).

    First thing however, is this is NOT intended to be a "fair" comparison. This is a real life comparison, by which I mean I changed the fan configuration in the case (and added a fan) when switching to the AIO. So, fan config was 2x 140mm as intake at the front, 1x 140 + 1x 120 as exhaust on top and rear, + 1x 120mm intake under the GPU. This was changed to 280 AIO in front, with 4x 140mm in push pull config, and 2x 140 + 1x 120mm as exhaust. Using the front top fan as exhaust with an air cooler isn't recommended as it tends to steal fresh air from the front intakes.

    I picked two workloads, one GPU heavy, and one CPU heavy to compare.

    So, long winded intro out the way, on to the stats!

    NH-D15S (with 2x 140mm fans) - 25c ambient

    Heaven Extreme:

    • CPU average 70, spikes up to 74
    • GPU 71
    • Score 6550 - 260.0 fps

    Prime Blend without AVX

    • CPU 73 Average
    • GPU 35

    Liquid Freezer II 280 (rev 2) - 26c ambient

    Heaven Extreme

    • CPU 59 average, 60 max
    • GPU 71
    • Score 6602 262.1

    Prime Blend without AVX

    • CPU 72
    • GPU 40

    So I thought this was pretty interesting! Note that ambient was slightly warmer the second test, so overall under load I gained about 2c for the CPU, which is a little less than expected, however it sounded like there was some air gurgling around a bit which might have limited performance a little. (This has since cleared up, so I guess I should repeat the test). With GPU heavy loads however, the CPU is a whopping 11c cooler! Also, although I didn't accurately measure it, idle temps seem to be a good 5c cooler.... for whatever that is worth. Fan speeds were both controlled with the same settings for both tests, which I think is actually a disadvantage for the Artics, as based on reviews, they can spin faster for the same noise level. Something I do need to tweak.

    Okay, so what is my overall impression? Well, I have to say the Liquid Freezer feels cheaply made. The fans feel like cheap plastic, the metal pieces are thin, and the mounting system is pretty bad. The Noctua feels so much higher quality, both in terms of fans and CPU cooler... and the Noctua mounting system is much nicer. Which of course matters little when we are talking about the cooling and acoustic performance! I'm pretty impressed with the Artic fans, for all they are flimsy and feel cheap, they are very quiet. Pump noise (which was my biggest worry) from the AIO is good... my case has lots of fans but they spin very slowly cause I hate loud computers.

    EDIT: Forgot to mention, I unplugged the VRM fan. I don't think its necessary in this case, and small fans tend to be loud.

    submitted by /u/ascl00
    [link] [comments]

    Phison E18 reaches 1207719 IOPS

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 02:03 PM PDT

    Intel Xe Graphics' Incredible Performance Uplift From OpenCL To oneAPI Level Zero To Vulkan

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    [ROO TECH] Scythe Mugen 5 CPU Cooler Review

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    How PC Liquid Coolers Are Made | China Factory Tours (Cooler Master & DeepCool)

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    UMC to Pay U.S. Justice Department $60 Million for Infringing Micron's IP

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    NVIDIA allegedly preparing GA102-150 GPU with 7424 CUDA cores

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 03:51 AM PDT

    Intel Tapes Out First Xe-HPG 'DG2' GPU for Gamers

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 06:40 AM PDT

    [Buildzoid] The core capacitors on the pre-release 3080 FTW3 vs the retail 3080 FTW3

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    Hardware Unboxed EVGA FTW3 3080 Review

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    What's up with GPU fans?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 01:19 AM PDT

    Maybe I am looking at things too simplistically, but after doing a case fan mod on my toasty XFX 590 Fatboy and hearing about other people's good experiences doing the same with many different cards I feel like AIBs need to step their game up with fans. I dropped 12-14 degrees celsius and can't hear my card at all using reasonably priced 120mm case fans vs the stock 93(?)mm gpu fans.

    To be fair I've never had my hands on anything high end, my only GPUs have been whatever my first PC had, a 550, a 760, a 960, an RX570 and my current fatboy. Nonetheless, just looking at even very high end cards today such as the EVGA FTW3 3090 it looks like there's so much space used up by shroud that could be used up by having larger fans.

    I'm not an engineer, the people at EVGA are probably a lot smarter than me so the thought must have crossed their minds and been veto'ed so I just want to understand why GPU fans are the way they are.

    My simplistic train of thought is "Big fan=more air" which enables either lower RPMs for less noise, better thermals or both which worked amazingly in both fronts in my sample size of 1.

    submitted by /u/MaybeADragon
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Radeon RX 6800XT beats NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, in part significantly: First benchmarks and forecasts [Igor's Lab]

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 07:03 AM PDT

    BL602/BL604 RISC-V WiFi & Bluetooth 5.0 LE SoC will sell at ESP8266 price point

    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 12:47 AM PDT

    Is there any metric for determining hardware's durability?

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Like I am not looking for quality of the hardware metric like speed or such, rather durability to see if the item is strong enough to take on wear and tear.

    submitted by /u/Tickord
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment