• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 10, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 10, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 10, 2020


    Simple Questions - October 10, 2020

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    First time building and it worked!

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 03:58 AM PDT

    I just finished my first pc build ever and to my surprise it actually worked!

    So to summarize, building took around 6 hours, cable management was a nightmare and I was equally scared and excited all throughout the process.

    The parts used:

    CPU ryzen 3 3100 GPU Gtx 1650 super 16 gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz 240gb ssd 1Tb ram 550 bronze 80+ psu B450m pro mobo

    Final cost 530€

    Nothing beats the feeling of pressing the power bottom for the first time and seeing that everything works. Hopefully this will be the first of many. Thanks everyone for the advice and build guides!

    Edit: 1 tb HDD, damn autocorrect made a meme lol

    Photos:

    pre-build

    first photo after the build

    submitted by /u/cabz_91
    [link] [comments]

    Best 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    I'm upgrading my GPU and also getting the Xbox series X (I know, pc master race) soon and want to upgrade my monitor to be able to use the power.

    I've got my eyes set on the Dell S2721DGF, and am waiting for it to come back in stock. Are there any other flat monitors around the price or cheaper that you guys recommend?

    Edit: I'd like it to be 27 inches too

    submitted by /u/Johntheboss03
    [link] [comments]

    Before you buy that super expensive PCIe 4.0 drive for gaming watch this

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 08:56 AM PDT

    hardware unboxed hard drive gaming tests

    TLDR the cheapest internal SSD is only marginally faster for gaming than the most expensive 4.0 drive.

    submitted by /u/Goose130
    [link] [comments]

    Is a Ryzen 3 3100 good for casual gaming and pairing with a 1660 super?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 03:52 AM PDT

    Toughts on my first build

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    CASE Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow

    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 35MB

    GPU ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 8GB DUAL OC EVO V2

    MOTHERBOARD ASUS PRIME X570-P

    RAM Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance LPX

    SSD WD Blue 3D NAND SSD 500GB M.2

    HARD DRIVE WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm 64MB

    POWER SUPPLY Corsair CX750F

    FANS Chieftec Tornado RGB 120mm 3 pack

    submitted by /u/simonthechungus
    [link] [comments]

    Managed to get a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition (yes!)

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:25 AM PDT

    Now I just need to build a PC around it!

    Any recommendations on components and a case? (The use case will be mainly video editing/content creation).

    submitted by /u/OMG--Kittens
    [link] [comments]

    Finally got all the parts together and plan to wake up tomorrow, make some coffee and build my first PC! Just wanted to say thank you.

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    Coming from a lifetime console user and then learning about PCs and everything they entail has been a huge trip. I've done probably 200 hours of watching build videos, benchmark videos, scrolling threads on here and just soaking up as much as I can. This sub has been tremendously kind, patient and helpful during this daunting process. Staring at this pile of parts is making me giddy, and I can't wait to get started tomorrow.

    So again, thank you guys!!

    Shout out to r/buildapcsales as well, probably saved me $100 or more.

    submitted by /u/dank-nuggetz
    [link] [comments]

    Which is better having an overpowered GPU with an underpowered CPU(and vice versa) or having an equal GPU and CPU (generally curious) Also would a Ryzen 7 3700x and the 3070 Asus Stix Oc edition (triple fans) be ok? (sorry if this is a stupid question.

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:21 AM PDT

    Does a screen refresh 144hz (when it's capable of it) if a gpu only produces sub-144 fps?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    Asking for a friend with epilepsy. The amounts of 'flashes' a screen produces might influence his condition.

    Also, does this depend on the type of display? Do monitors actually turn 'off' and on again to show a new frame, or are pxiels continuously emitting light (so it stays 'on' if it has to show a certain colour more than once?).

    I'm trying to understand the technology of screens better, in hopes to help him find a solution for the episodes he's been having lately.

    submitted by /u/KlaasDeSlang
    [link] [comments]

    PC not powering on

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    So i put together a pc. Specs: b450m-a, gtx 1050 ti, ryzen 7 2700x, Patriot Viper Steel 2x8 3200mhz, 700w modular power supply, Kingston a2000 m.2 sdd in a nzxt h500. And it wont boot up. Is i a compatibility problem or? All the parts are new. Omly sign of life is the rbg cpu cooler is working/spinning and all the chassis fans and gpu fan.

    submitted by /u/Kiboaa
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anything I can change out to improve this build or save money?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    Stop thinking you NEED the newest and highest end stuff

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    I've answered an absurd amount of questions that all go something like: "is my less than one year old 8 core CPU still good enough?". Or the even more annoying "will this brand new i9 and 3090 be enough for my 1440p 60hz gaming?"... There is absolutely zero reason for a gamer to buy anything over an i7 or ryzen 7 and the last few generations ARE STILL PERFECTLY FINE FOR ALMOST ALL GAMING! A few bullet points that everyone can make use of before they post in today's PC market:

    1. No gamer needs an i9 or ryzen 9, they are made for other tasks that you do not do...

    2. (unpopular opinion) the 3090 is a professional card in gamer sheep's clothing. You absolutely do not need one for your 4k gaming

    3. No one cares that you got a 3080 and it's insanely dumb that you bought one for your 1080p/1440p monitor.

    4. The ryzen CPU you didn't need but bought anyways doesn't have integrated graphics... Plug the 1080p monitor into your 3080 you also didn't need.... Tahdah you have initial boot display wow

    submitted by /u/birdman133
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics Card Help!!

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    Hey I have a optiplex 7010 I bought and upgraded the power to 500w. That separatly worked good. Now i go to put my graphics card in (GTX 1050 ti). Now when I plugged the hdmi from the graphics card to my tv there is no display. Not inless i take the graphics card back out. I really need help because I have never done this before and I hope something is not wrong

    submitted by /u/ICED_TM
    [link] [comments]

    3600x vs 5600x with a 3070

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    How much performance is left off if I want to save $100 and go with the 3600x? I'm trying to build a long term pc.

    submitted by /u/spice_rubber
    [link] [comments]

    R5 5600x vs R7 3700x for gaming streaming and editing?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:45 AM PDT

    Help me become the best zookeeper lady ever! Best build for Planet Zoo?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a gaming PC to play simulation games, especially Planet Zoo (specs). I know nothing about building a PC other than what a week of casual Googling will teach you.

    Builds I'm considering:

    Build 1

    Build 2

    Alienware Pre-built I'm also considering

    Questions:

    1. Which of these is the best "value" for performance?
    2. Are they all overkill for my needs? If so, where can I trim costs?
    3. I want a quiet system... Tips on how to keep things quiet and cool?
    4. What's your favorite animal? (jk)

    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! My tech skills are "unplug and plug back in," so any help I receive is super appreciated.

    submitted by /u/lepetitbrie
    [link] [comments]

    PC abruptly shut off whilst gaming, won’t turn back on

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I was playing a game (divinity OS2, high settings) today for around 2 hours, when midway my PC randomly shut off.

    I tried to turn it back on multiple times, no success.

    Waited 1hr in case it was due to thermal throttling, no success.

    Held down the power button (30 seconds) to expel any left over current, no success.

    When I turn the PSU on (O to I on the back), I can hear an electrical hum as I always have.

    No components of the PC turn on (fans don't spin, no LEDs flash, GPU doesn't light up).

    I'm starting to suspect it might be a motherboard issue, but I'm unsure, could also be the PSU, but I may be entirely off the mark.

    Built this PC (first ever build) a few months ago.

    Any advice guys?

    EDIT: unplugging the GPU allows the system to boot up, unfortunately I can't check if it's fully functional as my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, so I can't use my mobo hdmi- is this a bad GPU or a bad PSU which can't support the GPU?

    CPU: Rysen 5 2600 Mono: Asrock b450m pro4 PSU: Corsair CX550 GPU: sapphire rx470 4gb

    submitted by /u/ASAPwinstonsmith
    [link] [comments]

    Is my PC good enough to stream 720 60FPS?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    Hey guys so I just order all my parts for my build and I'm super duper excited!🤩 But will it be enough to play games and also stream at 720 60FPS? Specs: Ryzen 7 3700X 2080Super 16GBs of DDR4 RAM 3600 1TB 2.m SSD

    submitted by /u/Neptrz
    [link] [comments]

    Burning smell coming out of pc

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    i upgrade my pc like 3 months ago. Today i notice a burning smell. Smells like burning plastic. Im currently using lian li pc-o11 dynamic and it doesn't seems like it comes out of the psu. My temps are all good and everything runs smoothly. To clearify, the burning smell comes out from the main area of the pc. The smell just appeared and the pc does not appear to have a lot of dust. any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Kab2k
    [link] [comments]

    Starting new build tomorrow!

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 11:28 PM PDT

    Got my hands on a 3090 and starting my new build. I will be using this with a Ryzen 3950x.. should I have got the 3900xt for better single core performance? Or will it be a small difference? It will be 50/50 gaming and workstation use. I will definitely be getting the new 5950x when it's released tho!

    My ASUS TUF 3090

    submitted by /u/Sha2am1203
    [link] [comments]

    AAA 1080p 144hz GPU?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 07:22 AM PDT

    Paired with 3600x for upcoming titles like CoD: Cold War on Ultra settings?

    submitted by /u/acid419
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Ryzen 5 a good choice for this build?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm looking to do my first build in the near future. I've done a few small upgrades to an old pre-made PC I had but now I'm looking to get something capable of playing stuff on half decent settings.

    Looking at some similar builds online I'm starting to feel the Ryzen 5 might be more than I need at this level? Also not sure if I should be looking at more RAM.

    Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give!

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mkL23Z

    submitted by /u/HydraulicTurtle
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 running out of stock/end of life question

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:59 AM PDT

    I'm planning on purchasing a 3600 but wanted to wait until Black Friday to see if it can come down in price any. It's currently $180 at my local Micro Center but I'm in no rush so I figured I'd wait.

    My question is, now that Zen 3 is announced and releasing soon, when do manufacturers typically stop producing the prior generation? Don't want to wait to BF only to realize the 3600/3700x aren't being manufactured anymore.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/ryanmills
    [link] [comments]

    How should I connect my 5 case fans?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    I'm planning a build that will use:

    1. 2x Noctua A14 PWM chromax 140 mm Fans (front)
    2. 2x Noctua S12A PWM chromax 120 mm Fans (1 rear, 1 top)
    3. 1x Noctua NH-D15 chromax CPU Cooler (with included fan)

    with a MSI MEG X570 Unify Motherboard and a Fractal Meshify C case.

    1. How should I connect these fans?
    2. Should I buy a fan hub/controller?
    3. Should I buy splitter cables?
    4. How do I take advantage of the PWM feature?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BBL0101
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment