• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 1, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 01, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 01, 2020


    Simple Questions - October 01, 2020

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Controlling RGB with heart rate?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    Is it possible to get the RGB in your PC to change color depending on your heart rate? So when it's low, it'd start cool (Purple>Blue) and as your heart rate elevates it'd start to warm up until it's (Orange>Red) when you're really amped up. You'd obviously need some way to track your heart rate, but I imagine a smart watched connected via Bluetooth to the PC would work... maybe? Just thought it'd be cool, like legit mood lighting.

    submitted by /u/Danny_Montanny
    [link] [comments]

    My boss had forgotten to order a case for the workstation, so I made this

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    Was close to paying $150 for someone else to build it

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 04:43 AM PDT

    I began building my first pc and could not understand why it wouldn't boot up. I connected everything and it turned out I didn't have the RAM inserted all the way.... BUT IT TOOK SO MUCH FORCE FOR ME I FELT LIKE I WOULD BREAK SOMETHING

    I would've been ripped off a nice $150..... glad my friend told me since he refused to let me go saying I was capable of completing it LOL

    edit: okay some people didn't like the word scam, it's how my friends who've built their own PCs described the location where I would've went. Of course paying someone for their knowledge isn't a "scam" but was rather referring to the fact that I could've ended up paying more for something such as correctly inserting the ram.

    submitted by /u/ajvs99
    [link] [comments]

    The incredible disaster

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 09:04 AM PDT

    Picture this; wonderful new custom loop pc running beautifully and cold mwah. But, oh no a small leak on the bottom radiator. Better turn off everything off and fix that. Fixed.

    And then, disaster; pc won't boot, boots to bios and hangs, boots to splash screen and hangs, boots to bsod and hangs. Hangs inside bios. Hangs before bios. Replaced mobo. No changes Replaced ram, worked for a day and back to hanging ten. Replaced nvme still hanging.

    Hell I had he bios boot up in half Chinese at one point. It's different on every restart.

    Tryed to reinstall windows entirely, bsod stops me in my tracks. 0x0000221 errors 0xc00000bb errors Oxc0000098 errors Hell I get windows/system32/config/system errors and I don't even have a nvme/ssd/or hdd even plugged in.

    Total bafflement from me. Can't access command prompt, startup repair hangs.

    I'm desperate and open to any and all ideas. Bless 🙏🏻https://i.imgur.com/URNiwuT.jpg

    EDIT: I've breadboarded the whole build down to one stick of ram, cpu and gpu and, goes to a Chinese bios. Installed nvme and it boots to windows once then subsequently hangs at bios splash screen once more Resetting the cmos battery gets me one good boot but I need to remove the battery each restart

    submitted by /u/Harambeaintdeadyet
    [link] [comments]

    Finally Treated Myself With a 144hz 1080p Monitor Last Week

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:14 AM PDT

    This is the best thing since sliced bread. Playing games on 60fps is not bad but 144hz is a whole lot better and made me realize that this upgrade is soo worth it

    submitted by /u/PaoloDivizion007
    [link] [comments]

    £2000 PC parts list thoughts

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    Created this list and was wondering if there is anything i should change. I prefer to have only one storage drive. Thanks

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cTcT4n

    submitted by /u/JamGrif
    [link] [comments]

    In need of a new gaming monitor!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I'm not great when it comes to specs of a computer monitor so I am here to seek help.

    I am looking for a new main monitor.

    My budget is around 400 AUD and I play mainly World of Warcraft and League of Legends. I am looking for a 27 inch and would prefer IPS. I am overall after something that looks really nice.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MatthewRMF
    [link] [comments]

    How To Basic PC?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    I went to college for computer science, so every time I see my father he keeps talking about how he needs a computer. Nothing fancy, just a simple barebones computer. I've gotten the hint, so I want to build one if possible for him for Christmas. Here's the thing: I have no idea where to start for a bare minimum pc for someone like my father. He prefers the most basic technology possible. All he wants this for is to check his email, watch videos, and play solitaire. High end gaming pcs? I have multiple builds for so many different budgets. Building one that is barebones is a new kind of challenge for me.

    I want to keep it cheap since the quarantine has affected our budget for the holidays this year. Is this even feasible or should I just spring for one of those "business" pcs that run ~$200? If building one is possible what should I scrap and what should I not choose to skimp on?

    submitted by /u/HowlPrincely
    [link] [comments]

    Factory reset

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    So I just factory reset my pc because I'm selling it, I've now been sat on a black screen for 15mins. Is this normal? And if so how long will it take until it's done?

    submitted by /u/BillyThompson1
    [link] [comments]

    Triple monitor mount set up. Well known brands or well rated Amazon brands?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    Triple Monitor Arm Mount (Gas), Amazon brands and more reputable brands.

    TL;DR: expensive dell monitor mounts vs Amazon triple monitor brand. Is the difference that important?

    Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a triple monitor mount set up. I've been looking on Dells website for their mounts and had purchased this a while back. This is just a dual monitor mount but I had planned on buying their single mount at a later date. They're very expensive, and the single monitor one is about 120. Total is like 380 to mount 3 monitors.

    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-dual-monitor-arm-mda20/apd/482-bbdh/monitors-monitor-accessories?gacd=9646510-1024-5761040-266380031-0&dgc=st&ds_rl=1282786&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcSa7d2T7AIV3YVaBR0Amg4-EAQYASABEgI3E_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Then I saw this one on Amazon when looking at other people's 3 monitor set ups and it has decent ratings and reviews and lots of customer pictures. Total here is like 120 to mount 3 monitors and there's currently a 20 dollar off coupon.

    I'm considering returning the dell mount and purchasing this one. Thoughts and opinions?

    Triple Monitor Stand - Full Motion Articulating Aluminum Gas Spring Monitor Mount Fit Three 17 to 32 inch Flat/Curved LCD Computer Screens with Clamp, Grommet Kit, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084RG7XH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_OGFDFbZJBWCQN

    submitted by /u/iNathanDrake
    [link] [comments]

    Building a PC for college

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I want to build my first PC but have no idea what I am getting myself into and am a total rookie. I'm going to college for computer science and computer programming , more specifically cyber security. So my question is what parts am I looking at to buy what size case and any other helpful tips. My budget is about $1k if that's too low I can go up a couple hundred no big deal. Thanks in advance! Mods take this down if this is ok lol

    submitted by /u/millenialliberal
    [link] [comments]

    Which is better, the 1650 super or 1050ti

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:37 AM PDT

    According to pcgamebenchmark.com the 1050ti gives 8 % higher rating compared to the 1650 Super

    My processor is the ryzen 3 3200 g

    Edit: I am going with the 580 which destroys BOTH of them for a lower price, thanks for all of your info especially regarding benchmark sites

    Edit: never mind, the 1650 super is the best

    submitted by /u/Troll_lover_69
    [link] [comments]

    Processor Choice for Gaming

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:04 AM PDT

    Hello all!

    I'm starting my first build and I'm looking to sink some decent money into it to make it last awhile. Anyways, I'm stuck between two processors. They are the i7-10700k and the i9-10850k both 10th gens. Anyway, the i7 has a higher base clock and such, I know that's good, but I'm not sure what else I should be factoring into my decision.

    Any advice welcome!

    submitted by /u/FrigginDonkey
    [link] [comments]

    I created a system using part picker and not sure if my list is even workable. My budget is around AUD$1000. So please help me improve my system.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    This is the link: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/s7GgTC

    Thanks in advance.

    :)

    submitted by /u/TransportationOk3101
    [link] [comments]

    Next upgrade?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    My friend just helped me out and built me a gaming pc. But, I am not sure what to upgrade next. I have very low end specs because I did not have all the money at the time for the best parts. I have little knowledge about what parts are compatible, if one part with be too much for another, etc.

    Current Specs:

    Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

    i3 - 9100f

    MSI Pro Series Intel Coffee Lake H310

    PNY CS900 120 GB SSD

    Thermaltake Smart 500w Power Supply

    2x V-Color 8GB

    submitted by /u/bsett
    [link] [comments]

    No boot after storage HDD swap?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 07:50 AM PDT

    Hopefully this is simple; but I feel it needs some backstory. So my harddrive has been dying for a bit (audible clicking, whirring, etc, and it's old) but I didn't have the time to replace it, so I just made a backup and figured I would deal with it when I had more time. That day has come, and the noise has only gotten worse since then. Since it was only a storage drive, I just shut off the PC, swapped it for the backup, but now the PC won't boot, and I don't have any boot options in the BIOS or boot menu. Before switching, I was booting off an NVME drive (new). Motherboard is Gigabyte H370 HD3. I just really don't know what happend, as I didn't expect a drive for pictures and videos to cause this. I have tried disabling CSM, and putting the old drive back in, with no luck. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ZekkenYuukine
    [link] [comments]

    Mouse and Keyboard Set Recommendations

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    I have a budget of $300~

    I want to upgrade from my current m&k: Razer Cynosa Pro Keyboard & Razer DeathAdder 2000 Mouse

    I was thinking of buying: Razer Huntsman - US - Quartz Edition Keyboard & Razer Viper Ultimate - Quartz Mouse

    However I have heard mixed reviews about Razer and their products. I am a little concerned as this is a fairly big purchase (for me at least) and I want to know if I should buy the Viper Ultimate and Huntsman, or if there is a better combo/set m&k available for purchase. I do want a matching set/combo, as looks are important to me (+1 if the color is pink). Please leave some advice in the comments. Thank you very much!

    EDIT: I have small-medium size hands (18cm x 9cm), I am right-handed, I mainly play fps (siege and cs), I'm looking for a 100% keyboard.

    submitted by /u/ljz363
    [link] [comments]

    16gb out of 32gb is hardware reserved

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:24 AM PDT

    Hi all. Thank for reading this but I'm in dire need of some help... In CPUID it says 32gb, but on task manager it only shows 15.9gb with the rest of 16gb in hardware reserved.

    Whenever I tried to set XMP, it goes into 3 times boot up and down and debug code shows F9. I have a gigabyte ax370 gaming 5 and 4 sticks of Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200mhz, cl16 rams. CPU is ryzen 5 2600.

    Was able to get advertised speeds for months but now it just decided not to work. Anyone?

    submitted by /u/laughscreamcry
    [link] [comments]

    Should I wait until November for Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales to buy a new monitor?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    I'm considering buying Dell S2721DGF ($429.99), LG 27GL83A-B ($379.99) or ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD ($319.99). Is it worth waiting until November or just buy them now? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/KnightElm
    [link] [comments]

    Should you buy b550 motherboard and save a few bucks or buy x570 motherboard for the new rtx 3070?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    What to upgrade

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X w/ Stock Cooler

    32GB Ram

    Nvidia Gtx 1080

    B450 Aorus Elite Gaming Motherboard

    submitted by /u/Sup-_
    [link] [comments]

    I need help to choose my gpu and cpu can anyone help problem is below???

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    Please help me with a situation?

    What should I buy the i7 and the 2060 what has 2tb with a 212 gb ssd or the 3070 and the ryzen 3 3200g which will only have 1 tb or the amd ryzen 7 and the 2060 with the 2tb ssd. The pc is for gaming and recording

    I do have 2 sticks of 8gb ram

    submitted by /u/montyelowe
    [link] [comments]

    Built a new PC.... now it doesn't work properly

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Hello! this is probably really dumb but I need help and I am stuck on what to do!!

    This weekend I built a new gaming rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/danidmc/saved/#view=Z6sqpg

    It was working FABULOUSLY from the day I built it until Tuesday night. I was watching YouTube and all of a sudden the monitor started freaking out as in blotchy color / pixelated mess. I was in shock and then my system just kind of restarted itself? I though that fixed it but then it started to absolutely just go downhill. It started turning off everytime I would open a game / chrome and just constantly restart with the same pixelated mess on the screen. My friend helped me update my NVIDIA driver (which everytime my pc shut off I had to REINSTALL the same driver over and over. It just reverted everytime). Then I also updated the missing PCI drivers as well. That fixed it for the night and I was able to watch TV, and play games fine on it.

    The next day I go to try it thinking its fixed, cool. NOPE. It shuts off again and makes me install the same driver again AND I get the dreaded BSOD over 4 different times. So, I tried a few things. I tried a fresh reinstall of windows which did not solve it. I then tried reinstalling windows AND resetting the PC as in wiping everything off of it. That did not work. I updated the BIOS on my MSI mobo to the newest one as well at this point thinking it would help (it did not). At this point it would keep restarting and giving me a blank monitor that was backlit like it was processing but not turning on? I am not sure how to explain it well so forgive me. I also used a program to completely uninstall and reinstall my NVIDIA card as well and that did not work.

    Then here I am today where I let it run all night as it was stuck on reinstalling windows AGAIN, and I woke up and it looked like it was working fine. I had reset and reinstalled it so it was fresh and new. I was really weary to try it but I did. I downloaded Destiny 2 to see how it would run as that is the most resource intense game I have. It loaded fine, it ran the title screens and opening videos fine, and then as soon as I hit a button to skip the sequence it went crazy on my monitor and glitched out again. The purply splotches and pixels on the screen until it just restarted again. So, now I am in a BSOD critical_process_died loop where I just can't do anything now.

    What I am going to try: maybe new GPU cables, unplugging and re-plugging it all AGAIN, and anything else you guys might be able to suggest? If you have read this all I appreciate you. I am a custom rig noob so please go easy on me :) I am just upset that my brand new system is all of a sudden not working. I feel like it could be Windows, drivers, and I am hoping its NOT my GPU or mobo.

    Thank you, I am open to any suggestions or troubleshooting links you guys might have!!

    Edit: I also went through help support and they had me run DDU on it as well, and still had problems.

    submitted by /u/DaniiDMC
    [link] [comments]

    About to build my pc, are the parts correct?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Gaming ultrawide 120hz +tv 4k 120hz etc. Also I like to multitask so having a second screen that is running videos and such.

    Mainly had issues deciding on the case, I want a small case that has decent airflow in black/white. I don't care for rgb as much.

    You think this build is viable?

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor €429.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND
    CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler €75.00 @ Azerty
    Motherboard MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard €222.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory €114.99 @ Azerty
    Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card -
    Case Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case €71.44 @ Azerty
    Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €125.00 @ Megekko
    Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan €15.20 @ Megekko
    Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan €15.20 @ Megekko
    Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan €15.20 @ Megekko
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total €1083.98

    edit: my drive will be an owned ssd (mx500 1tb) and as long as I dont have the 3080 ill use my 1080 ti oc

    submitted by /u/idfwy2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment