• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 23, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 23, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 23, 2020


    Simple Questions - June 23, 2020

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just upgraded from a 19 inch 768p 60hz TN monitor to a 24 inch 1080p 144hz IPS

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:51 PM PDT

    God damn it feels so beautiful

    And smooth

    So smooth

    submitted by /u/hdiwan007
    [link] [comments]

    im sorry if this is a short post but

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:13 AM PDT

    i just upgraded my ram from 2400mhz 16gb to 3200 mhz 32 gb and installed my windows onto a samsung 960 evo plus m.2 ssd and holy shit, i feel like vin diesel in fast & furious when he gets a turbocharger installed. my pc has never ran so slick, it's like a brand new machine i dont know where else to go and share this discovery and i want to thank this entire community for giving me the confidence to open my computer up and do this myself

    submitted by /u/FTWOBLIVION
    [link] [comments]

    Confession from a gamer that wants to have his own gaming rig

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm a 25 y/o gamer from the Philippines. First of all, I belong to a strict family who as much as possible, prohibits gaming be it mobile, pc, or console, straight up strict. To be honest, I never owned any gaming consoles nor have I ever built a gaming pc/owned one because of that reason. I was always saving to build up my own rig but responsibilities happens (being an only child and all), my savings always goes to bills and some repairs that needs to be done to our home in the country side (province, if you're from the Ph). I'm just frustrated that I'm not able to live the gaming life at it's fullest. I was introduced to gaming when my uncle bought a PS1 from Hong Kong, and PS2 a couple of years later, take note that he won't let me play and that I have to rent the console just to play (I always save up my school allowance just to rent a console). The same thing goes with PC gaming, I was introduced to it around pre-teenage days and had to rent one just to play a game. I always have a thing for gaming on a PC, and had finished a lot of AAA games through renting from year 2000 up until 2015. I stopped playing because I started work, and just this last March, I brought a prebuilt 2nd hand PC that has GTX 1050 ti on it to work from home that I have played again. Now, I' able to save in the equivalent of 300.00USD to buy new components by Christmas or January but I'm hiding my savings from my family and my fiancé because they don't tolerate spending so much on item and that kills me a little bit inside that I found myself crying over it some nights when I'm working (I work graveyards as a customer care representative for a hotel group and most of my customers are from the US). I badly want to save at least 900.00USD by Christmas or January to buy something that I know will make me happy, but it also makes me sad because I have to hide my passion from the people I love. Just sharing because I have no friends to vent this out on. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/noobgamer4layp
    [link] [comments]

    Mom died. How can I get her data from this HDD?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/ifA7IUW

    Exactly what I needed! Thank you all so much!

    submitted by /u/Save-on-Beets
    [link] [comments]

    Would I be able to build a gaming PC having never done it before?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    I want to get a gaming PC for preferably around $700 but I literally know nothing about building a gaming PC or what certain parts do or how to install them so being a complete novice would it be better for me to buy one then it would be to build it? I prefer to build because I know that it's a better deal I just don't want to do something wrong and screw it up.

    submitted by /u/Blake_madlad
    [link] [comments]

    Modern Warfare FPS dips mean it's time to buy a new processor

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    For some reason in Warzone - my FPS stays above 75. In Multiplayer there's frequent dips to 40. I currently have an i7 4790k, 1080ti, 16gb ram. watching task manager, it spikes to 98-99% utilization for a second randomly. It's almost as if it doesn't correspond to what's happening in game. Playing in 144hz 1440p.

    What's a good replacement for the i7? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Sloooop
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone had experience with the B450M Bazooka Max Wifi?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Hey guys, currently looking for a solid b450 micro atx board and stumbled across this board when I was on memory express. Problem is, I literally can't find a single review about it.

    Does anyone know anything about how its VRM's are or how it performs in general?

    Here's the link for reference (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112960)

    submitted by /u/ItsPonta
    [link] [comments]

    After working 3 12 hour shifts all weekend I finished my 1st build.

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 12:40 AM PDT

    I've been planning out my first beginner gaming PC for about a month and finally finished it. I was so scared the entire time of messing things up. Had a few minor issues but with help from my GF and discord I'm up and running. Pics

    Edit: updated parts list as I had the wrong SSD listed.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Lindso627/saved/#view=VrvPVn

    submitted by /u/RNurse2014
    [link] [comments]

    After weeks of dreaming and planning out my first ever pc, I’ve finally pulled the trigger

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Luckily I caught a b450 max motherboard restock on Best Buy, so I ordered all the parts today and they should arrive next week, after careful planning this is the build I decided on:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3zw6tp

    I'll keep y'all updated once I build it, hopefully my dad and I can figure it out, lol.

    submitted by /u/JayTor03
    [link] [comments]

    Finally made my first major screw up. Thought I'd share it here...

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    During lockdown, I decided to give my 5yr old PC a big upgrade - new mobo, CPU, GPU, the works. I'm currently staying with my parents, and during this time my dad voiced an interest in playing 'IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad' with a friend - the first time he's voiced an interest in gaming in decades, so I was eager to get him up and running. It made perfect sense to give him my old components, which would still be a considerable upgrade for him. We both win! (Yes, Sturmovik is not exactly a demanding game, but hey, who doesn't love an unnecessary upgrade?)

    Anyway, I get my new components and upgrade my PC. A resounding success. Only the second time I'd built a PC completely from an empty case, so it was a nice boost when it posted on the first try. It was also my first foray into rgb with the RAM...my PC glowed! I felt awesome.

    Time for my dad's PC. Simple enough, I was just replacing my dad's mobo/cpu combo with my old one, and the mobo that was already in my dad's pc was the exact same model, so didn't even need to rearrange the cable management. Had it done within 15 min, plopped it back on his desk and left him to it.

    Over the next few days, my Dad is constantly complaining about the internet connection. The internet at my parents' place isn't great anyway, so I dismissed it and said it's the same on my PC - it's just the internet, not his PC. He thinks about upgrading the internet plan.

    This evening, I decided to check on him, and actually have a look at the PC. I notice the programs themselves are taking ages to open and that something else is going on. I open the task manager and check the performance. 0.8Ghz? That doesn't seem right for a 3.5Ghz CPU... I google it. Oh, turns out it's an Intel thing for a CPU to run at a slower clock speed when idling. I guess that was just a red herring. Maybe it's the RAM?

    I open the BIOS to see if maybe the RAM isn't running at the optimum speed (my dad gets very excited about us opening the BIOS). Nope...all looks to be in order. I click about aimlessly, looking for answers.

    "Is that right?"

    My dad points at the big CPU temp in the top left corner. 99°C.

    Oh fuck. Shit.

    "No….no that's really not good. What the hell??" I glance over at the PC sitting next to us on the desk, and through the holes of the fan mount of the side panel, I can make out the Intel stock cooler, and it's perfectly...static fan blades. Ohhhh. Fuck.

    I yank the power cable out, open the case and see the dangling CPU fan power cable. This whole time I'm cursing and my dad is in hysterics.

    Get the PC up and running, and in my dad's own words "it's flying". 3.5GHz, 47°C. The CPU had been running with an unplugged cooler for about a week and a half. Hope the damage is minimal….

    submitted by /u/Usidore_
    [link] [comments]

    Is my build good?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    I've been looking into buying parts to build a gaming pc and wanted to show the parts I have planned to some people who probably know a lot more than I do

    Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600

    Gpu: GTX 1660 Super

    Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 gb

    Storage: Crucial Mx500 1 tb ssd & Seagate Firecuda 1 tb

    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

    PSU: EVGA BQ 600 w bronze

    Case: Fractal Design Focus G

    If there are any parts that should be upgraded or swapped out or will incompatible with the rest of the pc I'd be grateful to be told. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Chuck_Togs
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the better card for a budget build ranging from $500-$700?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Rx 580 8GB or an rx 5500 4GB?

    EDIT: by better card I mean which card with provide the better performance per dollar spent for a gaming build?

    submitted by /u/gentlechin
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard has 8+4 CPU connectors but psu only has 4+4?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    I want to get an asus x570p but apparently its powered by 8+4 but my psu (cx650m) only has 2 4s. Do i need to get another psu to be able.to use that mobo?

    submitted by /u/RHA27
    [link] [comments]

    Piecemeal VS Buying all at once

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    I plan on building a new PC come Zen 3 release/3000 Series release. This will be a entirely new build for me and was wondering if I am better off trying to get the parts as soon as I can, or wait for later with the chance of these things being out of stock due to the newly released parts. I am aware there has been a shortage of motherboards as of recent and a surge of price in the market, but as long as the difference isn't too drastic, I wouldn't mind putting the money to securing the parts I can now, as opposed to having to wait longer once Zen and 3000 drop. I do anticipate on buying/preordering once both are announced if that may make any difference.

    The motherboard I had been looking into purchasing is the MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi. I do not know if I should be looking into ordering anything other than the motherboard in advanced, since that's where my main concern lies right now. Realistically, when both Zen and Ampere drop, is there any telling how long it might take to gather everything, if things do go out of stock?

    submitted by /u/JaxCosmos
    [link] [comments]

    Balancing RAM speed with CPU/Mobo compatibility

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    I am getting ready for fresh build in an H1, here is my component list so far, my budget is around 1100. I am wondering if the RAM fits this build well, I don't really have any interest in messing with overclocking. It seems that my CPU can handle up to 3200 mhz but my motherbaord can go up to 4866. Is getting the top speed you mobo supports worth it? Edit-The intent of this build is to get a solid 1080 performer for the next several years. Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
    CPU

    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $166.99 $166.99

    CPU Cooler
    Motherboard

    Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 FREE $179.99

    Memory

    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $78.98 $78.98

    Storage

    Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $114.99 $114.99

    Video Card

    submitted by /u/LanceRage
    [link] [comments]

    Your my only hope.

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    My computer wont update realtek HD audio driver. Just gives me the error saying one of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation. I've tried everything. Downloaded latest realtek driver. And it wont install either. I've tried to uninstall but when I do it just re appears now as audio device on HD audio bus. I tried to add a legacy driver and that wont work either. Any help will be very appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Lamagal
    [link] [comments]

    First build in 20 years... need advice on components:

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    Hello All! I'm net to this subreddit, and to building PCs.

    I've purchased the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi 6) (it's arriving via amazon in two days!)

    Gonna buy the Ryzen 7 3700X

    Gonna buy the RTX 2070 Super

    ... I could use advice on what you all think the rest of the build needs to be. I'm in no rush to build. I hope to finish it sometime in July or early August. I'm the most ignorant about power supplies and the PC case. I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts. Thanks!

    -Ed

    submitted by /u/torgo6801
    [link] [comments]

    For all the new (or existing) Pc builders out there... If you can afford some quiet case fans, do it and thank me later!

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    Installed two 140mm upper exhaust and one 120mm rear exhaust Be Quiet Silent Wings into my first PC build last weekend. Let me just say, holy shit these things are so much nicer than the stock fans! They have really made my PC dead silent at idle to medium workloads. So much so that my central air vent in my gaming room is actually the only source of any fan noise unless I am really pushing it in games (BL3 mostly). I thought that having quiet PC fans would be overrated, but man was I wrong! It really makes things so much more enjoyable than hearing a constant low fan "wurr" right next to me. Not saying everyone should do it as they are a decent chunk of money if you are on a budget. But if you can afford them, seriously get them and thank me later. You won't be disappointed in the silence they provide.

    submitted by /u/Reallyknowsitall
    [link] [comments]

    First time builder: Intel or AMD?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    I'm really confused.

    submitted by /u/StucksomewhereDe
    [link] [comments]

    I want to help my son build a gaming pc. First build

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    He has saved up $1100, and already has a 27" msi gaming monitor. What's the best build for his money. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Grouchy-Ad-8220
    [link] [comments]

    my pc part upgrade path is f***ed

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 04:29 PM PDT

    I had purchased my first PC in early 2017. It featured an i5 7500, gtx 1060 3gb, 8 gb ram 2133mhz, and a h110 motherboard. The machine served me well these past few years until it began chugging along certain games like PUBG and Rust, and barely holding on in games like RDR2. I decided to add another stick of RAM last year being a 16GB 2133 mhz stick to service my other stick. Now I would like to upgrade certain parts without changing out the entire system such as the PSU, SSD, Hard drive. My ram is utterly shit, one 16 and one 8 gb stick on 2133mhz. My motherboard has only 2 RAM slots which is only compatible with max 2133mhz (cant even service a ryzen 5). My gtx 1060 will just not suffice with only 3 gb of vram. My case is soo noisy and i have grown to despise the aesthetic (cube). How can I go about upgrading to a newer graphics card (like a 5700xt) and better RAM (like 3200mhz) without changing my entire system?

    submitted by /u/LumpsO
    [link] [comments]

    is rbg fusion the same as rbg fusion 2.0

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    I'm new and a lil confused

    submitted by /u/BluXur
    [link] [comments]

    Feel-good craigslist story

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I bought a Micron 1100 2TB SSD from a guy on craigslist. Built PC over the weekend, SSD won't initialize. Used a variety of disk partition tools...it's a bad disk.

    Not at all hopeful, I messaged the gentleman, said I would only ask once, but can he help with either a refund or a replacement or whatever. He responded, asked for serial no. off the device, got a replacement from Micron YESTERDAY somehow, and traded the good one for my bad one today on my lunch hour. Just an amazing stand-up guy.

    Random nice guy, I salute you!

    submitted by /u/AnubianWolf
    [link] [comments]

    msi b450 tomahawk max alternatives

    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    Got all my parts for my PC upgrade except for a motherboard. Been eying the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max for weeks but can't seem to find one in stock anywhere. Just wondered if there were any alternatives for a similar price. Will need to work with Ryzen 5 3600 out of the box.

    submitted by /u/AfraidPenguin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment