• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 7, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 07, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 07, 2020


    Simple Questions - April 07, 2020

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My first build runs!

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:08 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/pb6mHSO.jpg

    https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vbMVCL

    I've been waiting to build a PC for almost 2 years and finally got the last couple of parts. I need to wait a few more months to afford a better GPU and a good monitor. I decided to build with the 1030 for the time being just to get it up and running before my laptop conks out. I won't be using it for gaming until later in the year anyway, and it will serve as my workhorse for the time being.

    submitted by /u/euphoricrealm
    [link] [comments]

    I think I was living in Stone Age

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:21 PM PDT

    So for starters I Mostly played Xbox and I had my gaming PC on the side that I built but didn't use much because I just preferred my Xbox.

    My build I had for like four years was the following.

    MSI 970 gaming
    FX-6300.
    2x8gb DDR3 1333.
    EVGA 750w.
    GTX 1060 6gb.
    Samsung 4K 40 inch tv as my monitor :( shit 4K

    With this build I'd usually get 20-40 FPS depending on settings and the game. MMO were like 20 FPS usually

    My new parts game in today and my build is now

    Gigabyte x570 UD.
    RYZEN 5 3600.
    2x8gb DDR4 3600.
    EVGA 750w (same).
    GTX 1060 6gb (same).
    Same tv as my monitor.

    I can now play a lot of games on ultra and get 55-80 FPS on the games I have played.

    Omg it's so amazing playing on my pc now, and I'm beyond excited to try all the games I have in my library with my new pc now.

    submitted by /u/arbiterrecon
    [link] [comments]

    Build check before buying, please!

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Never built one before, found this on a thread, not sure if everything is compatible, any help or direction before I buy would be appreciated. 800$ CAD budget https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jYv8Xv

    submitted by /u/elnixal1
    [link] [comments]

    First build. Help?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fq6M27

    Is it all okay?

    Edit: This pc is for gaming. Updated: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ypQ7n7

    submitted by /u/DynoDS
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a noticeable difference between 1080p and 1440p and is it worth going for 1440?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    I sent in my SX8200 Pro 1TB SSD after it died for RMA and got a SX8100 in return

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/PANbfXL

    Is performance of the SX8100 noticeably worse than the SX8200 Pro? Can I ask to exchange the 8100 for a 8200?

    Getting Rakuten Black Friday vibes over again, not the first time I got a 8100 instead of the 8200.

    submitted by /u/MedicBuddy
    [link] [comments]

    Minimal Noctua Chromax ITX - Gallery Link In Description

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    Gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/U9R0nGU

    Huge shout out to:

    @Cavi

    @mikevrpv

    For ref:

    Cavi's build - The Adjudicator

    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DrFtt6

    Mikevrpv - Mini workstation, 7562 pts Cinebench

    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yTvnTW

    Both of their builds are incredible and well documented. This was my second build and without the community here and on pc part picker I would have been a bit lost. I can't express how appreciative I am of everyone's constant contributions, comments, and discussions on each other's builds. Cavi and Mikevrpv had put a lot of thought into both of their builds and without their descriptions and youtube walkthrough, this build would have proved far more difficult than it was. Thank you to this feed, pc part picker and thank you to both Cavi and Mike.

    I was looking to put together an ITX build and had to match the fairly minimal decor of my GF's place. She is an architect so going all-in on RGB (although the 5-year-old in me found it temping) may have proved excessive. Cavi, Mikevrpv, and many more have made similar minimal ITX builds. Cavi obviously spent considerable time to spec each part and their respective dimensions. The Noctua D15s is asymmetrical and when paired with the Gigabyte X570 I, it frees up a lot of room at the top of the case. I may add additional fans in the back and the top but as of now, my temps are great. I will probably add Noctua Fans in the front of the case at a later date. As of now, I moved the NZXT stock fans to the front.

    The SFX power supply is a must. I will probably add another fan just above the PSU as Mikevrpv did in his build. My GF does a ton of video editing, GPU rendering in Arnold for Maya (which has been a gamechanger) and models in a whole slew of other programs.

    I had been an Intel person until I read about AMD's resurgence over the past 3-5 years. AMD has really upped their game and probably has everything to do with their CEO who was appointed in 2015. She is incredible.

    The build requires planning, but if you take your time, it shouldn't be too difficult. The D15S is actually perfect for this MOBO but if I went with a different MOBO with a lower chip placement, I would have gone with the D15 Black Chromax version. Regardless, the heat sink covers are gorgeous and make up for it.

    Definitely get PSU cable extensions.

    I love this build. Thanks for checking it out!

    submitted by /u/TERROR_OF_TOTAL
    [link] [comments]

    VRM

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    Ok so I've been out the pc parts loop for over 5yrs and I'm sure VRM has always been a thing but whats the point in having a motherboard with more VRM? As when comparing a b350 mobo with an x570 mobo.

    Is VRM something I should only care about if I'm gonna overclock my CPU?

    submitted by /u/-Belphegor-
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help trying to pick out parts for a streaming PC.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    I am trying to build a 'streaming only' pc. something like: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/best-cheap-dedicated-streaming-pc.3047566/ But my situation does not fit this article perfectly. For example, this article recommends an elgato capture card- but I do not intend to capture gameplay like that. Rather, here are my needs:

    # OBS streamlabs sources:

    - RTSP camera

    - RTMP camera (from the VM!)

    - desktop capture: showing me using the 'www.shadow.tech' windows client to access the virtual windows machine, where I play games.

    - audio input: from a usb 2 audio interface (a microphone)

    # 5ghz wifi (and/or ethernet)

    # Some type of monitor

    # Ideally small form factor

    I am not sure which mix of computer components I would need for that setup.

    submitted by /u/Danyatie
    [link] [comments]

    Never built before - Are integrated grahics cards any good?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    My current pc is 12 years old and was off the shelf, it has had new ram and hard drive over the years - its lasted well, but is about to die.

    I need a new pc and have been watching youtube mainly to see how to build my own , parts list below

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mzKzWb

    Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 quad core Gigabyte B450M micro atx am4 Corsair vengeance LPX16gb DDR4-3000 Kingston A400 240gb ssd Thermaltake Versa H15 Microatx mid tower SeaSonic 520w 80+ bronze certified fully modular atx power RGB fans - please don't judge - I like the look!

    I am on a budget (£600) and would like to be able to browse online, use word/excel and do some very light gaming (nothing made in the last few years)

    Just need to know - I have no experience, will my parts list actually produce a working and capable pc for my needs ? Do i need a seperate graphics card - are integrated cards any good??

    submitted by /u/newscroller
    [link] [comments]

    I know this is off topic but about Webcams...

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    So I am having trouble finding a low price webcam as I need it for school but it seems that most webcams are either expensive or the cheap ones wont come till late April to mid May. Does anyone know a cheap webcam that might be able to come next week as I am having trouble locating one.Thanks! I look up on Amazon and Best Buy.

    submitted by /u/MandoVakarian
    [link] [comments]

    thoughts on this pc parts list

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 05:22 AM PDT

    Assistance Required - First PC Build

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 03:12 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    I'm in the process of planning my first ever PC build and want to make sure I haven't made any obviously stupid mistakes with my parts list before I start ordering components.

    PC Part Picker List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Binsquetti/saved/HcGdD3

    List includes:AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-CoreGigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB OCMSI B450 Tomahawk ATX AM4 MotherboardCorsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4-3600 MemoryCrucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (I plan on adding another hard drive in future when I find one on sale)Corsair RM 650w 80+ Gold ATX Power SupplyCooler Master NR600 ATX Mid Tower Case

    My main questions are:

    1. Will this computer run/am I missing anything obvious? I have checked to make sure that the Tomahawk I'm buying supports Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs, so hopefully I shouldn't run into any BIOS problems on the first startup.
    2. Do I need lower latency memory, or should I be okay? The Corsair Vengeance is rated at C18 1.35V. I've read that C18 is a little slow, but also that Ryzen CPUs benefit from 3600 as opposed to 3200.
    3. Will I have enough cooling? I'm planning to add more in the future once I start experimenting with overclocking, but should I be alright for now assuming that I start out running everything at the factory settings?
    4. Are there any low hanging fruits in terms of affordable upgrades or minor downgrades that could save me some coin? I'd be glad to hear all suggestions.

    Thanks so much in advance. This subreddit has been a treasure trove in terms of helping me get a handle on this stuff!

    submitted by /u/Binsquetti
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get a 144Hz monitor if my GPU can give max 60-80 FPS on the games I play?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    I have a GTX 1060 6GB & the games I play (APEX & PUBG) can give a max of 60-80 FPS on custom settings. Should I get a 144Hz monitor or a 60Hz monitor?

    submitted by /u/Candymannx
    [link] [comments]

    Is my build good

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    First PC build

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z44Df9

    I made a post on another sub that was helpful but has a lot less traffic than this one.

    I originally was thinking the i7 but after some advice I switched gears to the AMD train. So the 3700 paired with a 570 board is what I'm now settling into. I know I can go with a cheaper 450 board but I'm wanting a bit more longevity out of this build (1440p prepped gaming rig).

    I've been out of this game for a decade and damn if times have changed. So lay into me fellas

    submitted by /u/BabarianParade
    [link] [comments]

    Cooler won't install on top of processor

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    Please help. I'm trying to add my cooler to the top of my processor. When I screw one screw-down, it becomes difficult to screw in the other 3 screws. I added a photo. Is there something I am doing wrong?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/Fv53Roc

    submitted by /u/Deadeyejac
    [link] [comments]

    Help me build a PC for CAD $1000 - $1000 w/ tax!

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:51 PM PDT

    Getting real bored of staying home, so I decided that I'm going to build my own gaming computer. If you have a list of parts for a build that fits my requirements please share! I'm looking for a AMD build (Red) Theme. I don't need a water cooler a stock cooler is easier to maintain. I only will be playing LoL and Overwatch. I want to be able to run on ultra setting without drop in frame rate. 130 fps or higher the better. I wan't the pc to run without lag at all.

    Backstory: I built my own gaming pc before and it was a Intel but I have no knowledge of parts but I heard AMD is killing it so that's what I'm going for.

    Edit: I would also want the mother board to have a wi-fi also! or an adaptor!

    submitted by /u/Jaxdup77
    [link] [comments]

    Why is everyone using aftermarket CPU coolers?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    I think I'm missing something here. I have a ryzen 7 2700, 65W tdp, with stock cooler, max temp I've ever seen is 65° C while gaming.

    This cpu is old for today standards, but it won't bottleneck even a 2080.

    Most of the builds I see are using aftermarket coolers, but I think the majority of people here are using their pc mostly for gaming. So why would someone need a different cooler than stock? Overclocking? Why would someone overclock in the first place?

    submitted by /u/unpopularperiwinkle
    [link] [comments]

    First time build.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    Hey guys I'm building a pc for the first time with a budget of $600. I've picked everything out from suggestions of friends and research. However the suggested MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Super Ventus XS OC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 Super 128-Bit is sold out everywhere I look. I prefer to keep my cart on Amazon so I can ensure a single delivery but of course I'm not too picky and will take all suggestions. I'm also trying to keep the GPU under 200 any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/daltonbenwhite
    [link] [comments]

    Best GPU for $700

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Purchased a GTX 1070 FTW back when it came out and I was into building PC's. After the purchase I kinda fell off of staying up to date with the newest tech.

    Got back into it and after 4 years I feel it's kind of time for an upgrade but with all these 2070 supers and nvidia titan RTX and what not Idk where to start. Is it like the 10 series where the higher number the better?

    Side note: if anyone can tell me what GPU today compares to my 1070 FTW and/or if my card is considered trash by today's standards it would be appreciated in helping me catch up.

    submitted by /u/HighFlier44
    [link] [comments]

    CX550 Vs Seasonic Core GM 500 (gold)

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a power supply for my build. Are these solid cards? If yes, which one to pick? Do you recommend anything else?

    (Build if necessary): Ryzen 5 1600AF Motherboard: B450MDS3H Graphics card Radeon RX 570/580 2x4gb 3000/3200mhz ram

    submitted by /u/UltyQuintus
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have recommended case fans for my build?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    Here is my Build

    I am going for a Black/Red Look so RGB or non-RGB is fine.

    submitted by /u/theasianzeus
    [link] [comments]

    Half-Life Alyx and a few other VR games are chugging, should I upgrade my i7-4970k or should I buy more RAM?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    I built my PC mainly for VR gaming, but I've noticed that any time I play a game with an open-ended area/open-world, my PC starts dropping frames like crazy. I have to run Half-Life Alyx at the lowest settings and it's barely playable. LA Noire is damn near unplayble, and Boneworks is just passable.

    What should I upgrade on my PC?

    Vega 64

    i74970k

    8GB DDR3 RAM

    submitted by /u/Aware_Split
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment