• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 25, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 25, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 25, 2019


    Simple Questions - December 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 04:10 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Once again, how those of you getting a 144hz monitor, that feature must be manually enabled

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 09:18 AM PST

    Fuck

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 05:06 PM PST

    I wanted to change my cpu cooler, tried to get it out slow and gently with twisting and no pulling it got out, but the cpu was still ripped out of the socket, now its stuck to the cooler. ive tried: hot fan and twisting, i dont have rubbing alcohol or dental floss at home, screwdriver, knife. fuck

    submitted by /u/Kalle420
    [link] [comments]

    Help with my new graphics card

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 08:37 AM PST

    So I just got an MSI Gforce rtx 2070 for Christmas and I want to install it in my Inspiron 5680. I went and installed it like the guide said but I keep getting a "failed to boot" error (yes the plastic cover on the prongs is off). My old 1060 works just fine and the fan goes when I boot up the computer, however, this doesn't happen with my new card. I'm getting kind of scared I got the wrong card and I'm all out of ideas on how to fix this. I'll happily answer any questions if that helps you to get closer to the root of the problem.

    submitted by /u/Eclipse_Stalvok
    [link] [comments]

    How much should I trust a 2yo, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo or 10yo HDD? The same about SATA SSD? The same about NVMe?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 08:58 AM PST

    Stutter/frametime spikes in every game with capable rig. Looking for some help with this.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 10:00 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    For quite some time i've had issues with stuttering in almost every game i own. Some examples: The witcher 3, Ghost Recon breakpoint/ wildlands, AC origins/Odyssey, Code Vein, Destiny 2, and so on. The stutters aren't actually FPS drops but frametime spikes.

    My PC specs:
    CPU: 9900k at stock (to exclude instability)
    CPU-Cooler: NZXT X72 Kraken (base fans swapped for noctua fans)
    MB: Z390 Aorus Master (bios F10)
    GPU: RTX 2080 Ti Asus Strix OC (factory overclocked)
    RAM: G-skill Trident Z F4-3200C14-8GTZR, 32 gigs 4x8 gb (XMP is on, same with xmp off)
    M.2 Drives: 2x 970 PRO 1 Tb NVME drives (OS and games are installed on them)
    SSD: 860 EVO 1 Tb
    PSU: Corsair hx1000i (standard cables replaced by Cablemod Pro kit (full))
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow
    Monitors: 1x Asus pg27Q 144 hz G-sync and 1x Acer XB271hu 144 hz G-Sync
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (build 1909).

    Some things i already did:
    - Clean instal windows 10 (alot of times)
    - Using DDU to clean out drivers and instal them again with no geforce experience
    - Using High powerplan in windows power setting
    - Turned of hibernation
    - Disabled C-states
    - XMP on/off (doesn't do anything)
    - Prefer Maximum performance in nvidia control panel
    - Turning G-Sync off/on (no effect)
    - Turning V-sync on/off in nvidia controlpanel (no effect)
    - Updated all drivers for everything (gpu, chipset driver for cpy, lan drivers, audio drivers)
    - Temperatures are all within safe temps: GPU max temp is 68°C and CPU max temp is 58°C
    - Memtest86 test on the ram 3 times for 6 hours each and came back with 0 errors

    I did run userbenchmark but that didn't show any problems:
    UserBenchmarks: Game 150%, Desk 178%, Work 164%
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K - 105.1%
    GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080-Ti - 183.4%
    SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 383.6%
    SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 412.7%
    SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB - 128.8%
    RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C14 4x8GB - 107%
    MBD: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER

    I'm pretty desperate for some help, i can't for the life of me find the problem. I appriciate any help you can provide me.

    Thank you all in advance for your time and wisdom.

    submitted by /u/ZephyrPC
    [link] [comments]

    Is 3200 MHz fast for DDR4?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 03:22 AM PST

    Looking to upgrade from 2666 MHz and I found some good HyperX memory at 3200 MHz. Is that a good speed for ddr4? Or is that still considered low medium ish?

    submitted by /u/Panda_0900
    [link] [comments]

    What would be a worthy cpu upgrade?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 07:17 AM PST

    My current build:

    Ryzen 5 2600

    RTX 2060

    3200 hz 16 GB RAM

    SSD

    Is there anything on the market right now that would be a good upgrade?

    submitted by /u/ImCam17
    [link] [comments]

    Just a reminder for the newbies: If you're building a new computer during the holidays or from Black Friday, check to make sure your RAM is running at full speed!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 12:32 PM PST

    Just an FYI, both me and my friend didn't realize this until we just happened to check... but most motherboards will cap your RAM speed at 2133hz, and will not run full speed (3000, 3200, 3600 etc) unless you set your XMP profile. As someone who has made a few computers in the past, this was something that was new to me and didn't know it was something that I had to set.

    To check: Restart your computer and when the boot menu comes up hit DEL (or whatever button brings up your BIOS menu) and the menu should show you various stats about how your computer is running. The RAM will display the speed it was designed to run at, and the speed at which it is currently running. If it shows Default profile, at 2133, then you need to set your XMP profile, (generally Profile 1), and save and exit to restart. Then you will be running at full RAM capability.

    Feel free to comment if I'm not 100% accurate on my notes but this is just from my experience and wanted to make sure everyone knew this was a possibility holding them back.

    submitted by /u/ifyoureadthisfuckyou
    [link] [comments]

    We should have a Xmas support thread for everyone's questions

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 11:45 AM PST

    5700 or rtx 2060 vs 1080 ti

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 07:26 AM PST

    So, iam looking to upgrade my current 1050 ti with something newer and more capable. My cpu is the i7 6900k. I was looking around and i found a 5700 for €300 and an rtx 2060 for €320. Then out of curiosity i started looking at second hand gpu's and i found a 1080 ti for €350. The guy told me that if i want to, i can test the card at his place before buying it to make sure it works. My question to you is:which one is better value and are there any important features that the 1080ti lacks that the newer cards have?

    submitted by /u/RealVincentCoucke
    [link] [comments]

    Help save this man child's christmas! ROX Strix RTX 2070 OC + Gigabyte Aerous Wifi Pro Z390 issues

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 10:20 AM PST

    Basically, pc will go into windows 10 64 bit in safe mode (the mode available after first install).As soon as I try to install any graphics drivers the card will artifact and crash. (checked fans on all items all running and the performance mode is on, also tried quiet mode as well (fans dont run in quiet mode until hot).Processor is i9 9900kTrying with 1 stick of ram

    Problem is whenever the card I crashes I can't go to restore because it always re-boots into the system super fast as its an M.2 drive. Still can't get hang of the new way to get into safe mode.

    Edit:Thank you all so far for your good ideas and suggestions. On a whim I tried it on another monitor I have that collects dust and it seems to work fine on that one. I'm not sure why it hates my TV (that works with my Radeon R9 but it does). I guess this week will be spending time figuring out how to get it to connect to the big screen, as my wife was really looking forward to using this PC for the big screen.
    Small philips 21" LED works perfect
    65" Hisense TV it doesn't like
    Both connected via HDMI and both detected as Generic PNP however for some reason windows 10 on new PC thinks the hisense is 64hz and greyed out options to change it.

    submitted by /u/accidentalchainsaw
    [link] [comments]

    PC for a 11 year old cousin who plays Fortnite

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 08:12 AM PST

    My cousin has been saving saving up for a PC for a few years, and I've promised him that I'll help him build it.

    I have an "old" spare GPU that I want to use in the build in order to keep the cost down. I'm wondering if the PSU in the build below is enough? He mainly plays CS and Fortnite, so I hope the CPU/GPU combo can handle that at a decent framerate (1080p).

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $119.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $117.99 @ Amazon
    Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $31.99 @ Amazon
    Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8 GB Video Card -
    Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $86.98 @ Newegg
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $436.94
    Mail-in rebates -$15.00
    Total $421.94
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-25 09:31 EST-0500
    submitted by /u/ImposterGlenn
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 01:52 PM PST

    As a preface, I've been building PCs for several years, but I'm actually stumped right now. I put together a budget gaming computer for my son, but I am unable to get it to power on at all. I checked the RAM, power connectors, front IO, everything, and nothing is working. I'm thinking it's either a bad power supply, or possibly the mobo, but I really don't know. I can't get any fans to spin, or any lights, which makes me think I have a bad PSU.

    Could someone please help out a dad on Christmas? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Adalwolf311
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to upgrade my GPU?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 01:46 PM PST

    I currently have an RX 570 and a 1080p 60hz monitor, I am able to get 60 FPS in all the games I play just by playing with the settings a little bit. However, with all the new GPU releases in the low - low mind end price range is it worth it to upgrade to a RX 580/590 or a GTX 1650 Super/1660 Super?

    submitted by /u/Th3IronTemplar
    [link] [comments]

    New Ryzen Build!Need Feedback/Help!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 12:09 PM PST

    I recently built a new computer.

    -H500 All black computer case -H100i RGB Platinum Cooler -XFX Vega 64 -DDR4 EVO X Ram(2133MHZ) -128GB SanDisk SSD -3TB WD HDD -Two Case fans that came with the case

    I'm trying to find the best way to do cable management that doesn't cause any electrical issues in the future as well as get specific color cable kits that come all together.

    I'd also like feedback on better ram specific to Ryzen 3000 CPUs but would like it to have RGB available because that's my preference.

    Last question is how many case fans along with a liquid cooler is overkill or not necessary so I can free up space?

    I appreciate all feedback! Thank you.

    Ryzen H500 Build

    submitted by /u/Ate3vans
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 EDU

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 07:26 AM PST

    Just got my PC today, installing windows 10 education.

    Can the school in which my email is from monitor what I do on this computer? Or is it all completely private?

    submitted by /u/Yurtaburt
    [link] [comments]

    Help with HDD

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 01:23 PM PST

    Already have my ssd's and it would just make it easier for me, is there any speed difference between having a USB hard drive instead of a In built sata hard drive?

    submitted by /u/Bradrs
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a HDD later?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 01:21 PM PST

    Basically im bout to craft the pc myself and i realised i'm lacking 1 SATA cable, because the mobo came with only 1 and i got both an ssd and a hdd. Naturally it makes sense to first put the ssd, so i can install windows on it, so i was wondering if there could be any issues if i add the hdd to the build after installing windows? Not issues necessarily, but some technicalities i should be aware of?

    Or will i simply be able to plug the hdd in while the pc is off and it will be good to go on boot

    submitted by /u/avaqueue
    [link] [comments]

    Power Supply doesn't have connector pin Ports

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 11:47 AM PST

    (i don't know what flair to put this under, so i'll just put it as misc for now.)

    I have a prebuilt gaming PC (purchased from walmart, hold your laughter until the end please.) and my friend is offering to give me his GTX 1070 to use on my PC. The issue I have is that I only have a 6 pin cord as far as I can tell, and I heard most PCs have a 6 pin + 2 pin extension.

    I looked on the inside of my PC and couldn't find any ports on the power supply for the cards. Is it possible that my power supply has no ports for such a thing?

    Furthermore, my current graphics card appears to be attached to the motherboard and has no special casing (only the bare card is installed) and I don't know how attaching a 1070 will work on my motherboard. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    submitted by /u/AlphaGuppy
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, i want to upgrade my graphic card but need help

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 01:08 PM PST

    My system:

    Mainboard: ASUS Primme B350-Plus

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core

    RAM: 2x Corsair DDR4-2132 4GB

    Graphix Card: NVIDIA GTX 1050 TI

    I think the weakest Point is the Graphic Card. I have no problem with the games i play now but i get like 40-50FPS (The Evil Within 2). I want to get above 60 FPS and use higher settings. Im also excited for new games coming out soon. I dont know anything about this stuff so i would love some recommendations, because i dont want it to have Problems with the Mainbaord or something. I looked for the 1080 but its very expensive. And would it be better to have AMD Processor and AMD Graphic card?

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/LktrHxr
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading from a GTX 970 to GTX 1080.

    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 03:59 PM PST

    So i have been thinking about upgrading my computer from a 970 to a 1080, but my knowledge of computers is limited, to say the least. Im unsure if my computer will be able to handle this upgrade or if im going to see a change at all. From what i could gather the processor plays a part, so i have listed my hardware below.

    Hardware: Geforce GTX 970 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 15.92 GB ram

    Please help, i will gladly provide any additional technicals if its need to make a conclusion.

    submitted by /u/CodeBadass
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding a good curved monitor that can show 2 inputs at the same time.

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 07:01 AM PST

    I currently have 2 separate monitors. Both are hooked up to my computer so I have 2 monitors when using my computer, but one has an HDMI switch that's hooked up to all my gaming consoles. When I play games, I switch one monitor to console input and the computer display stays on the second monitor. I usually only play one console at a time, but like having the computer available on the second screen to look things up etc.

    TL;DR: I'm having trouble finding a curved 4k widescreen monitor that will allow me to do this (show inputs from 2 different sources on the same monitor side by side).

    I found a few with Picture-by-picture (PBP) but those make it sound like it only works for computers since you have to install software on both input sources, but I won't be able to do this with a console.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Instincts
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrades from a 1070 TI?

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 12:14 PM PST

    I'm not sure what kind of GPU to upgrade from. I recently built a new PC with a ryzen 9 3900X but kept my previous GPU, a 1070 TI founders.

    I'm not sure what kind of GPU to upgrade to. A 2070 super feels like not a big enough step up, but a 2080 super or higher feels like insane overkill. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/qazqaz3
    [link] [comments]

    About ready to go!

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 08:24 AM PST

    Hello all and happy holidays!

    I've put together a build that I'm hoping to get some input on. I'd like to keep the cost between $1500-$2000 USD. I think I mostly have it dialed in but I can't quite pull the trigger yet. I mostly game but I also do a little streaming from time-to-time.

    I'm set on going with a 5700XT GPU over a 2070 super or 2080 super. I'm not sure if the Taichi mobo is a bit overkill but I figured I'm somewhat future-proof by going with it. I don't plan on upgrading the 3700x cpu stock cooler because from what I've read it seems to do just fine.

    What do you guys think? https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Majdi525/saved/dFkCLk

    Happy Holidays!

    submitted by /u/Majdi525
    [link] [comments]

    1440p 144hz pc help !

    Posted: 25 Dec 2019 12:08 PM PST

    So i want to build my first pc, I'm upgrading from gaming laptop.

    Money isnt really an issue but i still want bang for my buck.

    Ideally want to run AAA games at 1440p with 144 fps , or as close as possible.

    Also part time streaming would be nice.

    I know there's a lot of storage but this would be ideal.

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PXLsK4)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box) | £278.99 @ Amazon UK

    **CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100x 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/8mJtt6/corsair-h100x-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060040-ww) | £79.98 @ Amazon UK

    **Motherboard** | [Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nHxbt6/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite) | £175.46 @ Scan.co.uk

    **Memory** | [Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ckvbt6/patriot-viper-steel-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-pvs416g360c7k) | £68.19 @ CCL Computers

    **Storage** | [Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/wd97YJ/samsung-860-evo-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-n6e1t0bw) | £143.51 @ CCL Computers

    **Storage** | [Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nhKHx/intel-660p-series-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t8x1) | £89.98 @ CCL Computers

    **Storage** | [Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/NpBrxr/seagate-firecuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-hybrid-internal-hard-drive-st2000dx002) | £76.97 @ Laptops Direct

    **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ckTzK8/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-super-8-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-n208sgaming-oc-8gc) | £620.00 @ Amazon UK

    **Case** | [NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/q3smP6/nzxt-h500-blackred-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h500b-br) |-

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na) | £69.98 @ Amazon UK

    **Case Fan** | [Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/W4XfrH/noctua-case-fan-nfs12bredux1200) | £11.83 @ Amazon UK

    **Case Fan** | [Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/W4XfrH/noctua-case-fan-nfs12bredux1200) | £11.83 @ Amazon UK

    **Monitor** | [Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/pGqBD3/asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq-270-2560x1440-165-hz-monitor-vg27aq) | £484.99 @ Amazon UK

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **£2111.71**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2019-12-25 20:20 GMT+0000 |

    submitted by /u/legallois17
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment