• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 19, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 19, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 19, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 19, 2021

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend PC update!

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 02:17 AM PDT

    A month ago me and my gf made this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/oe565j/my_girlfriend_who_is_extremely_new_to_pcs_put/

    Thanks to all of you, we were able to put together an amazing build! We built it a little over 5 days ago, bought a monitor and peripherals, and put the whole thing together.

    It came out looking amazing, and we wanted to thank you all for your amazing help!

    https://imgur.com/a/bDcsB9a

    submitted by /u/NOODLD
    [link] [comments]

    SOS, Really need your help guys

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 05:57 AM PDT

    I have gigabyte p750gm, the exploding power supply. Have it for 5 months,no issues, but today I saw video of gamer's nexus. I'm scared. Is Deepcool Dq-750m V2 a good psu, I am planning to buy it. Please reply quickly. 🙏🙏

    submitted by /u/Racist_rabbit69
    [link] [comments]

    Wifey surprised me with a Radeon 6800xt to replace my old RX480. I have an EVGA GQ750 power supply and the card calls for 2 8 pin connectors. Do I need 2 8 pin cables from PSU or one with a splitter would be enough?

    Posted: 18 Aug 2021 10:35 PM PDT

    Edit: thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going with two 8-pin connectors!

    submitted by /u/southwestnickel
    [link] [comments]

    My worst nightmare came true, bent cpu pin!

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 04:23 AM PDT

    Got all of the parts today and was super excited to build my first ever pc!

    It all went super well... until i opened the CPU box. After a close inspection trough the plastic CPU case i saw what i thought was a bent pin. So i opened the case and it is! Now i dont know if i somehow bent it, or it was already like this. There is no visible damage on the box.

    After spending 5 minutes on google i found out its a VSS (ground) pin.

    Now i dont know what to do.

    Do i try my luck and maybe it will slide itself into the mobo?

    Do i try to gently bend it back?

    Do i return it?

    CPU should still work even without the pin.. right?

    Here are the pictures of said CPU pins:

    Side picture: https://imgur.com/a/nBKFgPK

    Top picture: https://imgur.com/MAdSnlv

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/HeavyGuy75
    [link] [comments]

    My method for best thermals on 5800x

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 11:51 AM PDT

    This gave me the best thermals while also staying at 4850 in game.

    enabled pbo and then go into pbo curve optimizer and set all cores to -30. Run prime95 small FFT and then look in hwinfo and see what cores are running at lower effective clocks than they should. For me it was cores 2,4,5,6. Go back into curve optimizer and raise the number for the cores that need it. Run prime95 and see if those cores are now matching the rest. Keep doing that until You have all clocks running at the same effective clocks under load. For me I needed -25 on 4 of my cores and the rest i could leave on -30.

    Now that pbo curve optimizer is set go into the PBO Limits and set the PPT 125 TDC 85 EDC 125.

    You have to set PBO limits, without doing that i was having games crash with even -12 across all cores in pbo curve optimizer.

    submitted by /u/Cheap_Award_4180
    [link] [comments]

    Hello

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    So i just need a gpu for my new build i have a ryzen 5 3600x and can get a asus 2070 super, Inno3D rtx 3060 12gb or Sapphire RX 6600 XT Pulse which one should i get?

    submitted by /u/niko13466
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best CPU my motherboard can get?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 08:05 AM PDT

    MOBO: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

    submitted by /u/sunkazzz
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best accessories to buy for a PC after getting one?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 12:13 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm currently wondering this, because I've had my system for a while now, but haven't really bought much for it outside of the system itself (apart from a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers but thats pretty obvious stuff!)

    Is there any accessories you guys think really help improve the user experience of a pc or just are helpful to have?

    submitted by /u/blajii
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 3600 running hot with hyper 212

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    I recently purchased an RTX 2080ti and ever since I installed it my CPU has skyrocketed in temps. Usually idled around 30C now its at 40. Temps under loads were usually 55-60 now they are 70C. Is this normal? or did I mess something up?

    submitted by /u/noodlekrebs
    [link] [comments]

    Building at end of part generation?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 05:20 AM PDT

    I've been hearing that some parts are nearing the end of the production life cycle just as I'm considering building a new PC for the first time in over a decade. I'm already confused on some of the existing parts differences such as PCI 3.0 vs PCI 4.0, but now I'm hearing that CPUs and GPUs will be starting new generation cycles next year and I don't want to have a hassle of games not working because I have the wrong generation of parts as I already dealt with this with XP to Windows 7 back in the day. I almost never switch out parts until I build a new rig but with current prices and my limited funds, I need my new rig to last at least 4 years preferably longer.

    tl:dr: Buy current parts or wait for the next generation parts to be available at normal people prices (ignoring the GPU supply issues)?

    submitted by /u/legionaires
    [link] [comments]

    please please please help I'm gonna scream

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 02:25 PM PDT

    PLEASE HELP ahhhh!!! so I'm building my first ever pc and this post could be really dumb but i really really need you guys' help because I'm at my wits end. here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hpfsDc the issues are: - my case's argb fans are lighting up but not spinning when I connect to the psu and when i plug the other cable into the motherboards fan slot the lights turn off. the fans are connected to a controller and splitter that came with the case. - "no signal" on the monitor when booting up. however when i disconnect the cable it can detect that it has been disconnected. so I'm ruling out the monitor being the issue. i am using a dvi port on my motherboard as my monitor doesn't have hdmi. i have also tried plugging a different monitor (hdmi) into the gpu hdmi slot and nothing happened either. - when i leave my pc running for about a minute or less, it shuts off completely and when i turn it back on, it won't turn off from the power button so i have to power off at the psu instead. i want to also say that when i do power on my motherboards light turns on, gpu fans are running, cpu cooler fan is running, psu is running too. ram is definitely seated correctly too. and i have double checked that all cables are in the slots properly. I've researched so much online but i really cannot find the issue. i would really appreciate some help and please be kind as I'm a noob at this.

    submitted by /u/erenoa
    [link] [comments]

    Is StockX legit?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    I've done some fair research and seen that quite a few people have bought GPUs through them. Just bought a 3070 ti so want to be sure they still are reputable. Can anyone confirm they've had a good experience with them?

    submitted by /u/Diablius
    [link] [comments]

    Scored in the AMD queue

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 01:38 PM PDT

    Managed to get a 6700XT at MSRP today in the AMD queue. Was sort of hoping/holing out for a 3080 FE or a 6800XT, but am beyond stoked.

    Onward and upward to 1440p.

    Stay strong brothers and sisters out there for your day will come. This has been a year wait with my old i5-2500 pc dying on the cusp of a new product launch.

    The kids will now get my old 950 replaced with my 1650 Super placeholder. Win win.

    Build complete, finally.

    Completed build, case swapped to a DX500 and power supply has been replaced due to a weird electrical surge that affected the neighborhood.

    submitted by /u/ejaya2
    [link] [comments]

    UPS Lost my graphics card!

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 06:59 AM PDT

    I ordered my RTX 3060 ti from the EVGA queue back on December 1, 2020. I finally get the notification and purchase it...at the original MSRP no less. EVGA ships it out from California, it arrives in Illinois, then gets lost.

    Funny thing though, I purchased an EVGA 750W power supply the same day, same order and it arrived no problem.

    I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I think someone involved with UPS swiped it.

    submitted by /u/SpiralCaseMods
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else managed to cause damage due to static?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 03:56 AM PDT

    Back in 2012 when I was 13 or 14 years old, I bought a 4GB stick of DDR2 RAM at Best Buy for $60 to perform my first upgrade on a custom build that I bought secondhand.

    Zipped down to my bedroom like a Cheetah as soon as I got home to perform the installation. Immediately I took off the side panel without unplugging it from the wall outlet or completely switching the PSU off with the physical switch, and then tore into the RAM's packaging and began handling the RAM and examining it like some kind of chimp.

    Took me about 20 minutes attempting to get the stick of RAM to properly fit, meanwhile I'm touching all over the motherboard like some kind of perverted molester copping a fresh field.

    Finally managed to get the RAM installed, popped the side panel back on without screwing it in, and hit the power button.

    The fvcking thing went absolutely bananas spitting out a bunch of beeping sounds while the CPU fan spun at what must of been nearly 4000RPM loud as hell, then shut off as I watched the CPU fan come to an eerily slow final rest.

    That was when my PC died before my own eyes. I called Best Buy to ask wtf they just sold me and I explain what happened, then the employee who sold me the RAM asked if I grounded myself to protect components from static, I hung up the phone immediately knowing that I fvcked up.

    Avoided Best Buy for a solid year after that out of embarrassment lmao.

    I can't be the only one who has managed to fry a PC with static lmao!?

    submitted by /u/chrismacca24
    [link] [comments]

    3080 5600x build

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 09:32 AM PDT

    Hi Guys.

    Was really lucky and managed to cop a 3080 fe for retail.

    I usually only play valorant and I know the 3080 is over kill but looking to start playing other triple a games.

    My questions are:

    1) Will the cpu bottleneck the gpu?

    2) is 2 x 8gb of 3600mhz ram overkill for a 5600x (the MHz rather than the amount)

    3) what motherboard should I look at getting.

    Thanks for your time

    Edit: I accidentally posted without typing, my apologies.

    submitted by /u/gigahurst
    [link] [comments]

    What are some budget graphic cards to buy right now until I can upgrade to a 2060?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 02:30 PM PDT

    I'm hoping for at least 50+ FPS on high/medium hopefully they are under $300 Where I am a 1660 super is $600 and a 1060 is $300 while the 2060 is $1,000

    submitted by /u/carasmax999
    [link] [comments]

    Question about upgrading SSD in prebuilt PC.

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 02:27 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I have a CyberPowerPc pre-built that I bought awhile back (2019). I am looking to upgrade the SSD to a 1Terabyte SSD M.2 chip.

    The motherboard is an AsRock Xtreme 360M in my msinfo, but online I couldn't find anything about the specs of this motherboard but found out online it is actually an AsRock Pro4 but just painted differently. So using this info I found the spec page for this motherboard here on AsRock's website.

    This is the part I am having trouble understanding:

    Storage

    - 6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug*
    - 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)**
    - 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x1 (8 Gb/s)**
    *If M2_2 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled.
    **Supports Intel® Optane™ Technology (M2_1 only)
    Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
    Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

    Does this mean I can get any M.2 SSD within the key types listed here?

    If so, I have found these SSD's that I could possibly use:

    WD 1TB M.2 2280

    Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280

    Are these my best options and or is there a better way to upgrade this pre-built with a SATA SSD?

    And how do I know where M2_1 and M2_2 locations are? I have a photo of the motherboard I will link below.

    Here are some photos of where I believe the M.2 stick would go:

    The chip would rest on top of the CyberPowerPC Logo (M2_1 or M2_2 spot?)

    Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

    submitted by /u/Ueht
    [link] [comments]

    How good might next gen APU's be? (AMD)

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 11:54 AM PDT

    I do the standard AAA BR games with a 3700xt and RX 6700XT. I've read that next gen ApU's are expected to make the jump from Vega to RDNA2 chips. Is there any chance where a 6000 series APU could handle AAA FPS's? Has anyone found any leaked data on these chips thats legitimate?

    submitted by /u/jpkviowa
    [link] [comments]

    Buy a gaming laptop or buy a graphic card?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 11:52 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    It's been a few weeks for me researching many variables on a getting a gaming laptop instead of buying myself a new graphic card. And I have a lot of consideration to be cleared hopefully you guys can help me with these.

    My current build is still standing strong since 2017 with these specifications running on 60hz 2K monitor. - Ryzen 5 1500x - Asus Strix B45 Motherboard - GT 640 (I sold my RX580 for $400 on April) - 2x8gb 3666mhz memory - Couple of storages - Phanteks P300

    I am planning to get a new graphic card and it's an RTX 3060 is on my wishlist, but my concerns are these. - I am still not sure if my 1500x will bottleneck significantly with the 3060. - The 3060's prices in my country are somewhere around $800 ~ $1000 with the LHR version is being the cheapest yet hardly available. - For an additional around $1200 ~ $1500 I can get a completely new gaming laptop. Those options are, HP Omen 15 with RTX 3060 90w or Asus TUF A15 with RTX3060 90w. (The Asus F15 comes with lower watt 3060 and quad cores i7 which is not worth based on my research) - Do you think it is feasible to have a gaming laptop as a main system for another 3 ~ 5 years?

    My main usage is to play sim racing games and fps games like Battlefield and Warzone, thinking on getting the BF2042 by the end of year. But most imporantIy,a I do lot of office productivity and opening multiple tabs of Chrome and Firefox. Sometimes my pc went on blue screen occasionally after I took off the RX580. It seems the graphic card did affected my PC's performance.

    With those being said, do you think I should get a gaming laptop and sell my current build? Or should I just get myself a new RTX 3060 card?

    Thank you in advance, looking forward to have discussions below and hopefully this thread will be useful for other people as well. Have a great day ahead!

    submitted by /u/weedays
    [link] [comments]

    Nzxt H510 power light ring is blinking in sleep mode.

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Is there a way to fix this while still having it on when the pc is running? I have an asus tuf z390-plus mobo if that matters.

    submitted by /u/diamondcow11
    [link] [comments]

    My PC is running slow and IDK why

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    Hi everyone I recently built a gaming pc in November of 2020. Although its relatively new I've noticed that it boots up slow and opens applications slowly and even crashes games a lot. I was wondering if anyone can give me insight on if my parts need an upgrade or anything else I should do. Games I play Apex legends, World of warcraft, Call of duty modern warfare and warzone. The most problems I have are normally with warzone. Thanks for the help :)

    MotherBoard: Tomahawk max AM4 B450

    CPU:- AMD Ryzen 3600X 6 core

    GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT

    RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16G 3200 speed

    HDD:WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB 5400 RPM

    SSD: Western Digital WD Blue SN550

    submitted by /u/1kZeez
    [link] [comments]

    Hey I am wondering if any multi gpus (a GPU with more than one GPU in it) support crossfire or sli

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    It's for content creation I swear

    submitted by /u/Sherberttheostridge
    [link] [comments]

    Clean Install Vs Factory Reset

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 04:58 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit,

    I built my PC a couple months back and I'm deciding to wipe it so I can remove some corrupted compressed zip files as well as remnants of some junk from apps I've previously installed.

    I've heard that some viruses can infect the system recovery partition on windows, so would it be better to do a clean install rather than a factory reset via windows ? My reasoning is because you can delete such partitions in the BIOS. (even though the chances of a virus being there is extremely low, my paranoia has always gotten the better of me)

    If this is not the correct place to post then please advise me to the correct subreddit and I'll be sure to post there!

    Any help is much appreciated :)

    Edit: Clarity

    submitted by /u/Waste_Soil8230
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment