• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 5, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 05, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 05, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 05, 2021

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My largest regret about purchasing my gpu

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 09:07 PM PDT

    When i had just started looking for gpus (jn 2019) i was shopping at best buy and knew nothing to little about gpus, I remember asking the best buy employee what would be a good starter gpu he recommended the 1050, only issue was at the time they were out so i went back every day until they had something and the day that they went in stock they had a 1660 super and a 2060 super. At the time it was only 100$ more, had 8gb of vram, was dual fan and supported rtx. What really annoys me was i had enough money i just didn't understand what rtx was. Point is don't be an idiot

    submitted by /u/Sea_War836
    [link] [comments]

    I have 500 Mbps internet and the light next to the ethernet port used to be green so it supported 500 Mbps, but after I reset my windows, the light turned orange which means it supports maximum 100 mbps. how do I get the green light again?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 11:31 AM PDT

    Ryzen 5000 APU Releases Today (Official Public Release)

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 05:43 AM PDT

    I reserved a 5700g at Memory Express (Canada). Good luck to those trying to get one as well!

    I suspect the 5700g will be good enough for my second system that I won't need to worry about a gpu until it calms down. Excited that I got one, was thinking there would be some more craziness surrounding this release but it seems there is a fair bit of stock still.

    submitted by /u/theonlyone38
    [link] [comments]

    Need help learning about general tech!

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 08:40 AM PDT

    Hey so I recently got hired at a place that sells a lot of computer and tech parts. I really want to do well at this job and make it a career. I'm gonna start with general floor sales, but hopefully move into "systems" before long.

    One of the questions that he asked was "if you had an unlimited credit card and wanted to build an amazing PC, what would you buy?" And I admitted I was lost for an answer. I basically said "well I know I need a good.monitor and graphics card. Also a lot of memory and a solid gpu." But that was it.

    I am not a tech whiz by any means, and I told this to the interviewer. I mean I can install programs and use the internet, but that's kinda it. I was upfront and said "I am not gifted at tech yet, but I'm honest and work hard and can learn anything."

    This left a good impression on him and after chatting a while he hired me on the spot!

    So basically I am hoping there is maybe a YouTube channel or something that can give me the basics through intermediate lessons on how all kinds of tech works and EX0LAIN THE JARGON!

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/donotfeedthecat
    [link] [comments]

    is this GPU legit?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 10:26 AM PDT

    I am looking for a GPU to buy and a shopkeeper shows me this one. Please check this one (attached image). I am not sure is this a legit GPU or some fake company gpu. I know zotac is a good company, but is this real zotac gpu

    https://imgur.com/a/ldcSzsA

    submitted by /u/mrtac96
    [link] [comments]

    How much fps gt 710 can draw if paired with ryzen 5 5600x?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2021 09:32 PM PDT

    Confused, wd 1tb or barracuda?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 02:45 AM PDT

    I'm building a pc and it's my first time. I have 2 decisions for hdd. First one is wd blue 1tb and second one is barracuda 1tb and each of them have same specs. There are rumors that wd is better in writing and barracuda is better in reading and some say wd is so bad and I'm completely confused. Pls help

    submitted by /u/Numerous-Leading-746
    [link] [comments]

    Getting an RTX 3070

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 09:16 AM PDT

    I currently have and RTX 2070S and have been looking for a while to upgrade to an RTX 3070. As we all know, cards are sold out everywhere.

    Does anyone know what the best option to get my hands on an RTX 3070 is? At this point, I don't even care if its a 3070, 3070 Ti, 3080, etc.

    As far as I can see, these are my options:

    1) Bite the bullet and pay significantly over MSRP

    2) Buy a built PC with the card that I want, which is a little higher than scalpers but includes an entire new PC

    Any advice is useful! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/puckpuckgo
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA Gigabyte 3080 BSOD.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 08:16 AM PDT

    So I bought a new $4k PC from IBUYPOWER. I've bought a couple from them and not been disappointed before. This time the new build started having BSODS under games at certain points. I searched Reddit and a few other places, downloaded HWMonitor and started looking at the readings. I noticed that the card never drew more than 170W at any time for some reason.

    After seeing a few posts about cable placement I looked into the case and realized that the card was daisychained to the PSU. I pulled it apart, wired another PCI-E cable from the PSU and plugged it in. Now readings from HWMonitor are close to 300W pulled during games and haven't had a crash(yet) since.

    If this does solve the problem I'd expect that IBUYPOWER techs should know better than to cut a corner. It's not like they saved money, they sent me all the rest of my cabling from my modular 850W Thermaltake Tough RGB anyway.

    Just wanted others to know to check this as there are people saying a daisychained power supply will work. All I can tell you is this worked for me. So check it for you if you're having problems.

    submitted by /u/AlexanderTheGoats
    [link] [comments]

    What is a reasonable budget for a gaming PC?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 12:55 PM PDT

    I'm coming home from summer job in a month and I am curious what is reasonable budget for a gaming PC

    What could I expect from 600/1000/2000$ build, and at what point am I just throwing away money for few extra frames

    I'm really lost in current GPU/PC price market

    *Bonus question, do you think GPU prices will ever come back to 'normal'?

    submitted by /u/kubistonek
    [link] [comments]

    Did I lose the Silicon Lottery?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    Hi guys. I a R5 3600X in my build and when I run a multi core test on Cinebench R23, my results hover around 8700-8900. After a quick google, even a standard 3600 is supposed to get around 9000, and a 3600X up to 9500. For reference, I have PBO enabled. So, did I lose the silicon lottery or what?

    submitted by /u/UnPawsed
    [link] [comments]

    Does PCI-Express3 support m.2 nvme?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    I have a prebuilt that suffers from a slow hdd. It is a 2017 msi trident 3 with the MS-B9061 motherboard. I want to upgrade the storage and didn't know if my system supports nvme. Looking at CPU-Z mainboard settings it shows the the bus specs are PCIE 3. Does this automatically mean I can install a m.2 nvme?

    submitted by /u/crazedpanda528
    [link] [comments]

    Will upgrading 7 year old CPU and RAM result in improvement while gaming?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 01:53 PM PDT

    I currently have an i7 4700 and 16 GB DDR3 ram from an old office prebuilt. Since GPU prices are crazy I was wondering if upgrading to a 10400f or 11400f and 16 GB DDR4 would improve my FPS (mainly 1% lows?). I already have a 1650 super and mainly play COD Warzone. I also thought that since Warzone is so unoptimizable for PC I might see a small improvement to average FPS in this specific game.

    submitted by /u/ovenmittensplz
    [link] [comments]

    Low FPS after installing new PSU

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 07:46 AM PDT

    What is your parts list? Consider formatting your parts list.

    Intel 6700k Nvidia RTX 3090
    Seasonic tx-1000 Samsung odyssey 144htz monitor

    Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

    I installed a Seasonic tx-1000 to supplement my new 3090, replacing a EVGA 850 G2 that was resulting in my PC shutting off mid game 3 times which I was assuming was power related issues. After the install I noticed none of my games running at my normal 100+ FPS. Ive made no changes except the Video card and PSU, only the PSU change resulted in the FPS drop.

    List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

    Im using all the new cables that came with the PSU and checked the connections. PC runs fine except my games FPS suffers a LOT. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I have googled for answers but cant find anything that helps, PC works normally except for gaming.

    Post relevant photos of build/parts here.

    Replace this text with your answer.

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    Replace this text with your answer.

    submitted by /u/Ranxer0x
    [link] [comments]

    PC Screen Bright White?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 09:56 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I have a 144hz Electriq monitor, I was using it yesterday and I heard a pop, and now its just bright white - non of the buttons do anything other than the on/off button. I've tried googling a lot but can only seem to find this issue with laptop screens, does anyone know what the cause of this is / a potential way to repair it myself or is it dead?

    Pic of screen: https://imgur.com/UReEubA

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/HumbleHazard
    [link] [comments]

    Mobos with out of the box R5 5600x support.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 12:07 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    Just about to purchase the components for my first build. Current I'm going with a MSI b550 tomahawk paired with a 5600x. Now I know I'll have to flash the bios, which is fine, but as this is my first build I'm tempted to avoid this step...

    So my question is - which mobos support the 5600x out of the box? And by support I mean you plug in and you're good to go. Is there a list somewhere?

    Cheers!!

    submitted by /u/ConversationFragrant
    [link] [comments]

    Need some assistance

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 02:45 AM PDT

    I'm going to buy a pc in components my budjet is 1249€ The components I will buy are:

    Msi mag forge 100M

    MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

    Corsair CV650 80 PLUS Bronze No Modular

    Windows 10 Home USB

    And O have an offer of a Gigabyte 2060 gaming Rev 2.0 for 458.99€

    What do you think? Any advice would be great

    submitted by /u/Aleix2802
    [link] [comments]

    Where is the R5 5600G in the UK?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    Wasn't this chip supposed to launch earlier today? Why can't I find it anywhere? I understand that it's not the highest-demand chip at the moment but I really want to get it sooner rathe than later. If anyone has any sort of information regarding this it would be a massive help.

    Many thanks.

    submitted by /u/LinkIsThicc
    [link] [comments]

    Build help

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 01:11 PM PDT

    Got an 6700XT today. Heres my build around it.

    Any ideas/changes?

    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/b6Mfwz

    submitted by /u/ChemDoDo
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 5600x or old i7 7700k

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    I want to build a new pc but i have a question. I have already i7700k but i bought it 5 years ago and my pc is didnt work I cant use windows search. So i guess i need new cpu and i think about ryzen 5 5600x but some one says u should use your old i7 7700k so what should i do ?

    submitted by /u/DeusDioss
    [link] [comments]

    Old PC died. I want a new PC.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    Ryzen 5 5600x/i5 11600k; Ryzen 7 5800x

    Fan Stock would do

    X570 Aorus Elite/z590

    Anything 3200MHz

    RTX 30701500

    Meshify C/ECLIPSE P360A

    cooler master v850 gold v2/seasonic focus plus gold 850w

    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/comments/oykg49/old_pc_died_i_wand_a_new_pc/

    What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.

    • Automation code testing. VR capable: Half-life: Alyx, Boneworks and Pavlov VR. Unreal Engine 4 & 5. Blender 3D modelling. I am using a 1440p 60FPS monitor. 16 GB ram should be enough. I am thinking of getting 1 SSD for booting and 1 NVMe for programs/games. Extra 3.5" HDDs will be added in the future.

    What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?

    • $1850 to 2220 USD ($2500 to 3000 SGD). I might increase it if there is a good reason to.

    Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?

    • Singapore will probably buy from Sim Lim Square.

    Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?

    • No

    Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?

    • No as mentioned above. OS will be purchased separately from this buy list.

    Extra info or particulars:

    NO RGB LED unless you give me a good reason why. Should I get an AIO water cooling system for the CPU cooler as it might be quieter when compared to stock? I am thinking of getting 1 SSD for booting and 1 NVMe for programs/games. The Extra 3.5" HDDs will be added in the future. POST YOUR REPLIES HERE. I WILL READ/REPLY TOMORROW IN THE MORNING. THANKS. (0900 SGT Friday or 0100 GMT Friday)

    submitted by /u/Kasderian
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend a Video Card for current build?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 11:31 AM PDT

    Received a iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming PC Computer Desktop Trace 4 93G730 (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 240GB SSD for birthday. Looking to upgrade the video card. First-time pc gamer so not looking for anything crazy powerful but something to get started. Any recommendations are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Elenix2244
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing fan on power supply

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I do have a Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold power supply in which the fan starting making noise.

    Since I just wanted to fix the issue quickly myself I ordered a new fan to replace the current one. Unfortunately, when connected, the new fan won't start spinning, does anyone have a suggestion on what I did wrong?

    Original fan: 12V 0.36A with a 2 pin connector.
    New fan: 12V 0.11A with a 4 pin connector. Noctua NF-9Ax14 PWM

    I did cut of the 4 pin connector and connected black to black and yellow to red.

    Is the issue the lower amps on the Noctua fan? From what I found so far on the internet, it seems that a fan with lower amperage should be working just fine.

    Noctua wiring
    Old fan
    New fan

    I am aware of the risks associated with working on an open power supply, even though I am asking a basic question here, I am familiar with the safety precautions that have to be taken.

    submitted by /u/MrsMirage
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Buy a Prebuilt or Learn How To Build a PC

    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 01:45 PM PDT

    I know literally nothing about PC's but I want to switch from console to PC so I've thought about just getting a prebuilt or should I Learn how to make a PC

    submitted by /u/YeaIMainLeia
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment