• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 31, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 31, 2021

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Some people just really don't know how to take care of their PCs.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 08:06 AM PDT

    So yesterday I was in a discord call with this guy I know and he asked me for help with his PC saying "I get low FPS and don't know why, is it my graphics card or something?" So I ask him to share his screen and immediately I see a Lenovo logo in the bottom right of the screen. Not a good sign. I then ask him to show me his task manager which showed 60% CPU usage and 60% RAM usage with only discord open in the foreground. He had stuff like McAfee, bunch of different Lenovo software, NZXT Cam and some other stuff running in the background. I told him to uninstall some things and change some settings and within 15 minutes or so I got his usage down to 4% CPU and 30% RAM. Not the best but definitely better than before. His games are now running much better and have a higher and more stable FPS.

    Take care of your PCs guys and don't install a bunch of unnecessary shit that will run in the background and destroy your performance.

    submitted by /u/Leo9991
    [link] [comments]

    Why are NVMe SSDs available in 250GB/500GB variants and how are they different from the 256GB/512GB?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 05:30 AM PDT

    Pretty much the question in the title. In the world, I lived in - storage devices had capacities in the power of 2 until I saw this.

    Why/how is it so?

    submitted by /u/t0xic0der
    [link] [comments]

    Dead hard drive after 7 months

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 05:26 AM PDT

    I had a 2tb Seagate that I stored all my single player games on that recently died after only about 7 months. Did I just get unlucky or could something of caused this? I never unplugged it or anything just randomly happened one day. I also have a 1tb nvme that's still fine.

    submitted by /u/Evaysive
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first PC last night.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 12:58 AM PDT

    I have never built a PC from the ground up by myself, until last night. I can't be thankful enough to this community and the countless YouTube videos, mostly GN and that Newegg video. I've learnt so much in the way, and so much more to go. Again, a big thank you to each and everyone of this community.

    And for the ones who're new to PC building, there are only 4 steps to follow, 1. Don't panic 2. Read the manual over and over again as many times as you need to, refer to the countless videos and guides over at YouTube. 3. Finally, ask questions when you're unsure about something, no matter how dumb it might sound in your head go ahead and ask the question.Guessing and plugging in cables in incompatible ports can brick your dream build. 4. Give yourself some time and have patience, I took 4 hours to build it.

    If you guys are interested in specs, let me know and I will post it in a comment down below.

    submitted by /u/Daguq
    [link] [comments]

    PCB are stronger then you realize

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 08:17 AM PDT

    I am moving

    I hired movers

    This company clearly stated in their terms of service if anything broke in the move they'd replace/fix. I also have a baby, its hot as hell, and I have a bad leg. So I decided screw it ill hire this company. I specifically picked them cause they were highly rated. One thing I thought was cool is they asked to see all expensive electronics turned on before they packed

    Anyway they left my pc in the hot sun for a good little bit maybe 45 mins or an hour. Then following the truck I saw the truck hit a speed bump a bit fast and the whole truck bounced. My first fear was my GPU is going crack.

    When we got to the new place I told the driver what I saw, he apologized and told me before they leave they want to see if my PC works. So they carried about their jobs. When we got to the point where I had the stuff I needed to boot up my PC I did.

    I think the supervisor was a bit nervous cause he said hes also a gamer and hes well aware how expensive GPUs are in today market.

    Guess what? Booted up fine, no issues, ran a stress test temps were normal.

    submitted by /u/luther_williams
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use a 250V power cable in a 100-240V PSU

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 07:40 AM PDT

    Need to buy a power cable for my PSU and I'm wondering if I can use a 250V cable to power my PSU
    (Seasonic Focus GX 750) which requires 100-240V. My wall output is around 230V but I believe it can fluctuate to up to 250V. Can it fry my system?

    submitted by /u/ArugulaOk8815
    [link] [comments]

    Should i remove the cpu if i update by BIOS Flashback?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 08:10 AM PDT

    Hello guys, today i bought a TUF Gaming B450m Plus II and i didnt see the motherboard supports Ryzen 4650g w BIOS update, the question is, if i put all components (CPU/Rams/SSD,etc) can i use the BIOS Flashback? Or i need update without cpu and rams? Think is little dumb askin but i hope someone can help me with it

    submitted by /u/GodlikeYuri
    [link] [comments]

    Which monitor to choose?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 04:45 AM PDT

    Hi, to all the tech experts here, I am currently a computer science student with a tight budget who does a little photography and content creation, should I choose the PRISM+ X290 or LG 29WN600? Or are there any better options out there that are more suitable for me?

    submitted by /u/kaiizoko
    [link] [comments]

    USB over current after installing new CPU / AMD

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 06:33 AM PDT

    Hi, guys. Yesterday I was trying to install a Ryzen 5 2600 on an Asus TUF b450m-gaming board. I have a friend which wanted to changed my Ryzen 5 3400g (that I was using 'til now) for his processor an a GTX 1060 GPU.

    I removed my CPU, installed the ryzen 5 2600 and the gpu and then turned it on. Then I saw the screen with the Asus tuf logo and the message to enter the BIOS but immediately after that a black screen with the message "USB over current status detected" appears.

    We tried everything, even we disconnected the motherboard and pulled it off of the case but that did nothing. The problem solved when we changed the processor back to the Ryzen 5 3400g. I could even test the gpu and everything was working OK with my processor.

    I'm afraid that the problem could be generated by my motherboard, I was planning to update to a ryzen 5 3600 or 5600x and I'm worried that I won't be able to install any other processor. Any ideas? Thank you so much for your time and your help. By the way, my BIOS version is 3202.

    submitted by /u/AntonickMontana
    [link] [comments]

    Doesn’t boot from old drive after replacing mb and cpu

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    I just replaced my motherboard and cpu, and there was a 1TB SSD already connected to the mb. When I start up it boots from the new SSD, and I can't get it to boot from the old one. I allready tried to remove the new SSD, but then it just boots to bios. Can I change some settings to fix this? In sata options I do see the old SSD.

    submitted by /u/Verdi42
    [link] [comments]

    1660 super or 5600 xt

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 07:23 AM PDT

    So currently i have a ryzen 3 3200g. I was going to buy a 3060 ti but now obviously its gonna be preety difficult to find one. So i decided that i'd buy a 1660 super by december. After googling a bit i saw that the 5600 xt is also a viable option but for a slightly higher price. So i wanted to ask if the 5600 xt is worth the extra money or if a 1660 super is enough.

    submitted by /u/Lonesome_waif
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing a case for around 100~USD.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 08:15 AM PDT

    I'm going to build a pc which has a Ryzen 5 5600x, and an rtx 3070 with 16gb ram and other average stuff.

    I'd like to go for a black and white or a full black case since I like the aesthetics of it. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/WinRarTheFirst
    [link] [comments]

    Boots but black monitor...and monitor was tested and working

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 01:24 PM PDT

    Sigh. Help me figure out black monitor problem please. Basically, the only things I changed were the motherboard, cpu, and RAM but the monitor is black with the new build.

    Old PC = 500w Lepton PSU same connectors used,

    old MB,

    Core 2 duo wolfdale 65w cpu,

    old ram,

    GTS 450

    Monitor with DVI only

    = everything works fine.

    Attempted new PC = 500w Lepton PSU same connectors used,

    Biostar Z590 Valkyrie 11th/10th Gen Intel LGA1200 Motherboard,

    Intel Core i3-10100F Comet Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 65W,

    Patriot Viper Elite Series DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 2666MHz PC4-21300

    Monitor with DVI only

    = boots but monitor is black

    Main PC (used to test some components)

    Intel Core i5-9600K

    ASRock Z390 motherboard

    Ballistix Tactical 16GBx2 DDR4 3000

    Nvidia 1070

    New monitor with HDMI only

    Evidence:

    1. Monitor works for sure because I tested it on another PC with both the GTS 450 GPU and a 1070 GPU with the same DVI cord

    2. GTS 450 works for sure because it works on the old PC and I also put it in my main PC and it works perfect

    3. I pressed clear cmos, removed battery from Biostar Valyrie for 5 mins and still boots but black monitor

    4. I even tried another new motherboard 570 and same problem = boots, but black monitor

    5. I put the RAM in my main PC and it works fine

    6. I completely rebuilt the old version PC and it still works fine so nothing was broken in the switch over

    7. I know the new build PC is booting because I put the 1070 GPU in it and can see that it boots and is ready to go so the i3 + Valkyrie + Viper RAM + Lepton Power supply + case seems to work

    8. I tried the GTS 450 in all PCIe slots on both the Valkyrie 590 and the other 570 board = boot, but black monitor

    submitted by /u/shinyhalo
    [link] [comments]

    Installed AIO yesterday, had no issues at all. Today tries to boot up and now there is no power.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 06:46 AM PDT

    Specs

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800xt Motherboard: Asus x570 prime pro RAM: 2 x 16 Corsair vengeance rgb pro CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i GPU: Aorus 5700xt PSU: CoolerMaster 750w 80+ bronze semi modular Case: corsaird 4000d airflow Case Fans: 6 ICue SP120 w/ the RGB hub Storage: 128gb Kingston SSD w/ 1tb sn550 nvme PCIE card: wireless gigabit card

    I do NOT have any custom cables

    To begin, yesterday i bought the new AIO to install, and everything went all fine and dandy. Plopped it in, hooked it up, tested it and it worked, no issues! did a long gaming session with zero issues, no crashing and a definitive improvement on cooling than the previous cooler (the Wraith Prism)

    This morning i went to boot it up, it could post with a "USB over current status detected" to which i promptly started troubleshooting, by disconnecting and testing each USB (internal and external) one at a time, to which the problem continued regardless, and not nothing will boot or reveive power

    The motherboard wont even light up with the built-in RGB which is always a sign it is reveiving power. I do not have any extra motherboards or power supplies i can swap to test it.so im hoping someone here has far more experience than i do because im at a loss!

    Thank you very much in advance!

    Troubleshooting i have done so far:

    unplugged and replugged every connection tried different PSU cables in the back Tried putting the old cooler back on swapping fans onto different ports Disconnecting USB ports

    submitted by /u/Gumbo037
    [link] [comments]

    i accidentaly bent 3 pins on my cpu (5600x)

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 11:13 AM PDT

    And i fixed it with bending the pins but one pin looks a bit weak, it's nothing big i tried bending it again and it holds, it fits in the socket and all the pins are in place, and i don't have ddr4 RAM currently, it ships tomorrow, but i can't stop worrying about it, will it post and work properly?

    submitted by /u/Single-Season-5829
    [link] [comments]

    Can you install a 8GB oparating system on a 7GB pendrive if the iso image is only 2.5GB big?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 08:40 AM PDT

    I was in need of a booting method for my computer and accidentally find a pendrive.(it's ours i didn't find it on the street) The only problem is that it is 7.6GB in size and the OS i want to install is 8GB 😑. But the iso image is 2.5GB in size. So the ISO fits in the drive but the entire OS doesn't.

    So my question is can i install that OS or do i need a pendrive of 8GB or more?

    TL:DR: i found a pendrive and it can fit the iso but can't fit the entire OS, can i boot the OS with it?

    submitted by /u/TooManyIntrests
    [link] [comments]

    Some people asked me to post a "guide" for newer PC users of basic stuff to do for better performance, or simply to avoid performance hogs. So here it is. Feel free to add more in comments.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 01:34 PM PDT

    Bios: Enable XMP, disable c-states and maybe try some light CPU overclocking if you're comfortable enough and have a good enough cooler.

    Windows: turn off background apps in privacy settings, uninstall unnecessary apps (Skype and onedrive for a normal Windows install but some people might have a lot to uninstall, especially if you have a prebuilt), turn off all autostart apps, disable hardware acceleration in apps like chrome, edge, discord, Spotify and disable background usage in the same apps, tweak your Nvidia control panel settings (not sure about AMD GPU users), use ultimate performance power plan, or at least high performance.

    submitted by /u/Leo9991
    [link] [comments]

    Core clock dropping

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 01:34 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I just finished a new build, and I decided to start stress testing to ensure is working properly.

    During the 3D mark time spy I'm seeing drops in cpu core clocks and I'm trying to figure if this is normal behavior. I'm running at stock settings with just the xmp profile enabled.

    Here is a link to the 3D mark run: http://www.3dmark.com/tsst/2123525

    Build specs: Ryzen 5900x MSI Mag tomahawk x570 32 gb g skill ram Nvidia RTX 3080

    Edit:

    Forgot to mention the max temps: CPU: 72 GPU: 78 VRM: 42

    submitted by /u/Known_Key6284
    [link] [comments]

    Currently troubleshooting LG 4k monitor but need a part from Germany. Anyone from Germany can help me out.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 01:06 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I'm sorry if the title doesn't make sense. I live in the US but I recently got a monitor second hand and unfortunately it does not have any picture. The backlight comes on but no picture.

    Its an LG 32UL550 4k monitor. I've tried several PCs and they all recognize the monitor and interface with it but I have no OSD or display output from the monitor. Even trying to enter service mode yielded no results.

    I wanted to try another main PCB for it and I found only one from Germany. Since the power is DC I shouldn't have any issues powering it but I wanted to know of this guys main PCB would be compatible with PCs here in the US. Im sure if I can kick the monitor jnto service mode I might be able to change its region or something but I already needed it to confirm the LCD panel at least works.

    I've spent several hours troubleshooting and unfortunately I have no idea why it won't display a picture. The main chip on it seems to be functioning but the problem has to be somewhere between the LCD itself and the output side of the chip. Im more curious as to how there isn't any life on the output side of things.

    I'm mainly just curious if this monitor despite the main pcb being from Germany would work over here in the US. Thank you in advance for the advice!

    submitted by /u/ViolentLambs
    [link] [comments]

    Any good 1440p monitor recommendations?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 09:17 AM PDT

    I am looking to upgrade from my 1080p to 1440p. I am looking for 75hz to 100hz preferably although 144 or 165 is fine too. I currently have 1080p 144, but i tend to leave it on 60 or 100hz for personal reasons. I don't care about the refresh rate thst much as lof as it is a nice 1440p monitor and not too expensive.

    submitted by /u/Wallaby290
    [link] [comments]

    BSODs on existing pc

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    So background on my pc, I've had similar BSODs to this in the past. Since then I've changed out my CPU and RAM. I've also ran my ram through memtest 1 stick at a time (4 passes each) then both sticks at a time (4 passes). Given these errors what do you think maybe the problem? My most educated guess is that it is the motherboard since I hear the ntoskrnl.exe is usually due to memory issues and I've tested the memory fairly thoroughly (but wouldn't this show in memtest). Honestly, I've built PC's for a while but I'm kinda stumped on this one. I wish I could just get another motherboard to try it out, but I'm honestly not 100 percent sure and wouldn't want to throw 200 dollars on something I don't need.

    I can go for hours doing things on my computer without any BSODs, but it happens fairly randomly, usually when pc is being stressed, playing games, running software, heavy browser activity.

    x3700

    x470 aureus gaming 7 v1.0

    32gb 3200 lpx

    750 watt EVGA G2

    These are all the BSODs I recorded but I have a few more names of BSODS than dumps from took pics of in case that helps.

    BSOD CODES:

    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION -> Ntfs.sys

    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA -> vgk.sys

    KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED -> fileinfo.sys

    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED -> e1i65x64.sys

    DUMPS:

    https://imgur.com/a/r1GJCjg

    Thank you for taking the time to read. Let me know if you need more information.

    submitted by /u/Ok-Zookeepergame3728
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix stuttering and frame drops in games?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 07:55 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm having a problem where in nearly all of my games I'm having massive frame drops or extreme stuttering. This is a big problem because I am unable to have a smooth experience when playing games, what could be the cause of this issue and how do I fix it? The games where this is most common are Resident Evil 2, A Plague Tale, Cyberpunk 2077, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Godfall. Here is my PC spec list if that helps.

    submitted by /u/13marvelbakeman
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good build for 3D modeling and rendering

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 12:52 PM PDT

    Finally got almost all the pieces but wanted to check here. I primarily use the PC for 3D modeling (Maya, ZBrush) and rendering (mostly stills in DAZ Studio but will be using Maya too). Sometimes I do leave it to render for 24 hours or more, so I hope my cooling is good enough. I also do a lot of photoshop. I might game a bit but it's not the priority. My monitors are only 2K anyway

    MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X (need the vram for the 3D rendering)

    Ryzen 9 5950X

    ASRock X570 Taichi AM4 AMD Premium X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

    TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 3200MHz CL16 64GB (2x32GB) PC4-25600 Dual Channel DDR4 DRAM

    2X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 SSD M.2

    2X (6 total) Corsair QL Series, Ql120 RGB, 120mm RGB LED Fan, Triple Pack with Lighting Node Core

    Anidees AI Crystal XL PRO LITE Full Tower XL-ATX/E-ATX/ATX Gaming Case

    And also 2 old SSD and 3 old mechanical drives for storage LOL

    Oh and I don't intend to overclock likely. Let me know what you think or if I'm forgetting something.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/scifivision
    [link] [comments]

    New Mobo + CPU + RAM checkup (budget)

    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 10:25 AM PDT

    Hi all.

    I need to replace my CPU because it just doesn't cut it anymore. Unfortunately new CPU also means new motherboard, which in turn also means new RAM.

    I never feel confident when it comes to picking parts and would highly appreciated it if you guys could have a quick look at my selection, and give it the thumbs up or suggest better bang for buck around the same budget.

    You guys helped me out a while ago but I have been postponing for budgetary reasons, but now I really need to upgrade. Only change I made to the previous parts is a new Mobo since I need 6 SATA connections and the other one only had 4. Oh, and I have an RTX2060 GPU and a pretty new Be Quit system power 9 PSU.

    Thanks a ton in advance to all you legends sorting by and responding in new!

    PCPartPicker Part List

    CPU | Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor

    Motherboard | MSI B460M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

    Memory | Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

    submitted by /u/ynonA
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment