• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 9, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 09, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 09, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 09, 2021

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I have a rgb controller which came with my Kolink case but I’m not sure where to plug it on my motherboard and my motherboard is a b450 Aorus elite (I have pictures but I can’t put them up)

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 02:27 AM PDT

    11600k vs 5600x

    Posted: 08 Jun 2021 10:22 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm planning to get either11600k or 5600x.. any thoughts on this?

    I will be pairing it with a 1070 in the meantime and in the future a 3070/3080 if the price isn't insane.

    My use case would be mainly programming, development, and 1440p gaming.

    Is the power consumption of 11600k over 5600x going to cost me more in electricity bill since I will be using my pc over 9 hours a day? And there's also the price factor between the costs of these 2 cpus

    submitted by /u/cocag13996
    [link] [comments]

    how to prevent graphics card theft?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    i'm planning to build a pc this summer and take it with me to college. due to the current graphics card shortage i'm slightly worried about someone getting into my dorm and stealing my graphics card, especially since i'm living in the "engineering" dorm. is there any way to lock my tower to prevent this? i haven't gotten a tower yet so if there are any towers that have locks/lock easily i could also get one of those. i'll also take any other suggestions for keeping my graphics card safe. thanks!

    submitted by /u/tsamuels21
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe to run a GPU at 100% for many hours?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2021 04:18 AM PDT

    Building a PC for 6K Video Editing.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    Hey folks, I'm building a computer setup to edit 6K video. Need to get some good speakers (and headphones) as well a good monitor. Looking to get this for around $3,000 Canadian. Needs to be able to run the majority of the Adobe Suite (premiere, audition, after effects, illustrator, photoshop, ect.) Would love to be able to run Blender as well. I'm wondering if I should buy something off the shelf or build it. I don't really have any experience building PC's but I'm reading it's not rocket science. Has anyone done this before or have any insights where to start?

    submitted by /u/Snoo_58932
    [link] [comments]

    Best airflow micro-atx cases?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 11:45 AM PDT

    Help building a replacement for a Dell Xeon Workstation

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 02:28 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I need some help replacing a my current and aging workstation. It is a two-monitor 2013 Dell T3600, powered by a Xeon E5-1607 @ 3Ghz with 16Gb Ram and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 videocard.

    I would like to keep the video card in the new build, and I keep the two monitors.

    The workstation runs (Arch-)Linux, as the new one will. Main use will be normal office productivity tools (but LaTeX and Libreoffice, not MS Office), some coding (mostly python-based), and audio production (so a DAW, plus a few plugins, including, most liely the resource hungry Kontakt running under Wine).

    I haven't built or shopped a PC in a while, so I'm out of the loop on current models and standards for MOBO, CPUs, etc.. All I know is that I need at least 32 GB of ram, because my current setup is swapping all the time, and it would be nice to have a SSD drive for the system and app partition.

    Budget is low---I can't go over $800 at the most.

    Edit --> forgot to mention:

    1. I must return the machine to me previous employer (minus the video card and monitors, which I added)
    2. No gaming needs at all on this rig

    Any idea?

    submitted by /u/cleinias
    [link] [comments]

    Is this laptop good for at least 3 years ?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 02:11 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I will be leaving home for a minimum of 3-5 years for my studies and I cannot bring my stationary pc, will this laptop still be good for a bit of gaming for at least 3 years?

    Here are the specs:

    R7 5800h

    Rtx 3060 (6 go since it's a laptop)

    32 gb ram

    and screen 15.6 at 144hz

    I know that laptops are not the best long-term option but I have to

    I want it to last at least 3 years (the pc will be used only for gaming, the rest I would do with my old laptop)

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/TyDermo
    [link] [comments]

    First PC Build

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    Before I buy anything I wanted to check and see if anybody might have some tips of what I could make better without changing the price I have now drastically. I decided to get an APU for right now cause buying a GPU is a pain but here is my part picker link! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tMp9Dc

    submitted by /u/jibbs1o0
    [link] [comments]

    No wifi card solution

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 11:10 AM PDT

    If I have a pc with no wificard can I plug a wifi dongle into it and because I have a wifi booster next to my pc will that be good enough?

    submitted by /u/hs1234466
    [link] [comments]

    Can Anyone tell me why my CPU is running so hot, and potentially a solution?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 08:19 AM PDT

    So my CPU is running extremely hot (even for Ryzen 5 as I've understood it). It hit 98 degrees Celsius during a small session of Warzone. This link shows some images of HWmonitor and Task Manager during launch of and a short session of Warzone.

    I've not tampered with anything other than enabling XMP. The PC is in a fairly well ventilated room, on hardwood floor, nothing restricting airflow, and it's only 6 months old.

    I'm a rookie when it comes to PC-building, so I'm begging for some helpful, and simple advice (if possible).

    EDIT: GPU temps maxed out at 68 degrees celsius!

    This is my set up:

    Case: Phanteks P400A, 2 fans 1 in front 1 exhaust in the back (yes i should have more)

    MOBO: B450 Tomahawk max

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler)

    GPU: RTX 2070 Super (Palit)

    PSU: Corsair RM750x V2 80PLUS Gold

    Adata M.2 (512 GB)

    RAM: 2x 8 GB G.skill Trident Z neo (3600 MHZ)

    submitted by /u/sh1mba
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap Wifi adapter

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 03:12 PM PDT

    In several videos by Linus he mentions that you can get a wifi adapter for very cheap but i cant seem to find any of these online. If somebody knows where i can find one please let me know.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/Mountain_Anal7635
    [link] [comments]

    Installing windows on an SSD

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 03:04 PM PDT

    I have a Dell G3 that had a very slow hard drive, so I decided to upgrade it to a Crucial SSD, as well as upgrading the Ram from 8 to 16 gigs. This isn't the first time I've installed Windows on a computer, so this is pretty annoying, but for the life of me I can't get it installed. I go through the installation process, only to have it tell me there are no bootable devices after the installation is complete. Does anyone have any solution for me? I converted the SSD from MBR to GPT, and I've rearranged the boot devices, but to no avail.

    submitted by /u/threekmstreet
    [link] [comments]

    Build for my friends kid - after thoughts on what I've put together

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:49 AM PDT

    Their budget is £1300 - £1400. Don't need to worry about monitor, keyboard, mouse.

    Obviously for gaming - at the moment it's mainly Fortnite, Minecraft but that will probably change in a year or so. They would like to spend a few quid and make it future proof for a good few years and a bit speedy.

    This is what I've put together

    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qqtmTJ

    After thoughts/comments really - does this look like it's an efficient use of their money as I would hate to build them something that isn't - obviously the GFX card market at the moment is mental which I have warned them about but they're happy to proceed regardless.

    Any thoughts/tips/help massively appreciated.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/t0wser
    [link] [comments]

    Black screen problems

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 02:29 PM PDT

    So while gaming my pc has been going and black-screening, the case buttons won't turn it off (power and reset) and the only way to turn it off is the PSU button, now the pc won't turn back on until I unplug the pcie power connecter from my gpu, does this sound like a gpu problem or a PSU problem, the gpu stays under good temps under load and nothing artifacting on the screen , the PSU is a trash unit so I plan to upgrade anyway but just wanna make sure about my gpu, especially with this current market Specs are Ryazan 5 3600x Evga 1660 XC ultra Thermal take smart 500(like I said trash) 4x8 Corsair vengeance 3200 WD black 1tb name ssd Edit:sorry if this is the wrong place for this post.

    submitted by /u/Royal_dr1fter
    [link] [comments]

    Memory choices for 5800X and Asus TUF Gaming x570-Pro

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 02:02 PM PDT

    I'm having a hard time picking memory now that I found out about this thing called QVL haha. After all my research I've done I narrowed the memory to 3600mhz CL16 and was going with 32gb of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro with my budget being under $225 for 4x8 sticks. But, after seeing the QVL on both Asus page and Corsairs page this isn't compatible with my board. I'd have to go with a 3600mhz CL18 if I wanted to go with Corsair.

    I did find some Trident Z Neo ram that was 3600mhz CL16 but puts me over budget by $75. Now, from what I've read is the 5800x loves faster memory with low latency but how much of a difference does it make? I use my PC for work and also game/4k content creation so I'm just trying to maximize the performance of all the components.

    Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated. Once I get this ram sorted out I can start ordering the rest of the parts, this is really the last deciding factor as I'm reusing most of the other components.

    submitted by /u/3s1kill
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 7 3700X high temp spikes

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 11:46 AM PDT

    Hello. I am a bit worried about my 3700X temps. At idle they fluctuate from 60 to 70 degrees celcius. At AIDA65 extreme test (full load) it sits around 81c. I tried to play some Read Dead Redemption 2 and at 50% it runs at about 85c at 50%, but it has some 1 second temp spikes to around 94c. I am currently using be Quiet! BK008 Pure Rock Slim: https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-BK008-Pure-Rock-Slim/dp/B01KVNCEIG . Is this normal? Should I get a new cooler? Thanks for the answers.

    submitted by /u/Strykeros
    [link] [comments]

    GPU RTX 2080 Ti reduced power limit.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    My RTX 2080 Ti was underperforming by a noticeable amount. At first it supposedly was thermal throttling so I removed my side panel which improved the performance but it was still underperforming. Recently I tried lowering the power limit on MSI Afterburner. I noticed that lowering it to 75-80% increased my fps and bemchmark scores, however, it reduced the clock speed as expected (1500-1600Mhz stock). So I was thinking, what exactly is the cause for this. My PSU is 650W so I suspect it might have something to do with it not being enough.

    Full specs: RTX 2080Ti/ i9 9900k/ 16GB HyperX fury RAM/ B360M gaming plus MB/ Hyper 80+ Pro 650W PSU

    submitted by /u/lvdags
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi card into a prebuilt

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    Because of the stupid prices for gpus these days I decided to purchase a prebuilt, I just want to know if it is possible to install a wifi card into the motherboard without breaking anything

    submitted by /u/hs1234466
    [link] [comments]

    Not a serious question but came to mind when swapping my GPU

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:50 PM PDT

    So today I got my new MSI RTX 2060 Ventus GP and while swapping it in I found a vertical GPU mount I bought a while ago, so this question came to mind.

    For reasons of looking cooler/more fancy than the specs are, what's more impresive to see (like when my family comes over or for times I'm not in VR and wanna have some eye pleasure).

    Option 1: Multiple PCI expansions: like a usb card, wireless VR, capture card or a wifi card under my gpu, not multi gpu since that's way overkill of a layout, I'm aware that multiple gpu's don't do much with a single cpu, especially when they aren't sli/crossfire.

    https://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2018/11/vive-wireless-pcie-720x440.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&height=480

    Option 2: Vertical GPU (one that doesn't push the gpu against side panel): This is what I have right now (picture isn't mine btw), if I had a taller case and a 90° PCIe riser to clear the bracket I could do both vertical gpu and a expansion card (look option 3)

    https://cablemod.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/P1020176.jpg

    Option 3: bit of a combo: This I think would be best of both worlds, either a tapered vertical gpu https://www.raijintek.com/console/uploadfiles/product/Paxx-s/images/default/large.png or a taller case with 8 or 9 PCI expansion slots and a PCIe riser where one side is 90° to clear my cablemod vertical gpu bracket. https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H4d48289f363645a8ac86b744fc1840368.jpg

    Update: due to my VR being a bit glitchy after swapping in the vertical gpu bracket I reverted that setup, so now it's just horizontal gpu and usb expansion card, use that for dongles for my FBT to be separated from the headset's usb connection (also have a suspision that due to either via usb or display port that both of those have a little adapter thingy to make everything fit, think these caused some visual glitches to that I noticed going horizontal to vertical).

    submitted by /u/Derpelevista
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering what manufacturers have decent customer service?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 10:02 AM PDT

    I had a bad experience with Acer, they fixed my bricked monitor but it was damaged in shipping on it's way back to me. Tried getting them to do something about it but was just sent around to different reps that all struggled with english and all told me to contact FedEx, who said Acer needs to reach out since they shipped it. Acer basically refused to do anything and I'm out a ~$600 monitor and $60 to ship it to their repair facility.

    Have my eye out for another UW QHD, but trying to balance low cost and not terrible customer service. I'd love a Dell, Samsung, or LG, but they're all more pricey then I'd like to go.

    Any suggestions or brands I should also avoid?

    submitted by /u/Jabrono
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on my build

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:34 PM PDT

    I am looking to build a pc within the next month or two for around 500-700 pounds and i know roughly the specs i am looking for, i would just like to know whether this would be the ideal build that would get me the best value for my money. I am only going for 1080p- 1440p so its relatively overkill for games like battlefield etc. To run at 80-100 fps.

    The build i am going for currently consists of the following:

    Ryzen 5 3600 Any 6gb graphics card (probably rtx2060 but not certain) 16 gb ram B550 aurous motherboard 500 watt power supply 1tb hard drive 500 gb ssd

    Please let me know if this would be good for running large multiplayer games such as battlefield, squad, arma etc. At 80- 100 fps And how i could improve for cost efficiency. Thanks!

    Any help on where to locate these parts too for a good price would be a massive help too.

    submitted by /u/Bigt125
    [link] [comments]

    GPU underperforming.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 09:43 AM PDT

    I have an RTX 2080Ti. I noticed that my PC was underperforming. I had lower than expected fps on games and bemchmark scores were low as well. For example on 3D Mark Demo the score is around 11500, even though the average score is 13800. Sometimes the benchmark score is as low as 10000. On Superposition the score was like a bit above 6000, when others have scores of 8000+. I suspect thermal throttling because my GPU temps are like 77°C when full load. But the max recomended temp is 89°C so it shouldn't throttle I suppose. I also noticed low core clocks on most games. Some even going below 1700Mhz. Is this normal?

    Specs: RTX 2080 Ti gigabyte OC/ I9 9900k/ 16GB hyperxfury RAM. B360M MSI gaming mb 650W PSU

    submitted by /u/lvdags
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to move to an open air case. Looking for something that'll support a 3 slot 3080 and full ATX to go power supply. Don't care about looks. 100% function over form.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 11:16 AM PDT

    Hi I'm tired on losing so much leg room by keeping my case under my desk. I want to switch to an open case but don't want to sacrifice my parts that I already have. Looking for something like this but bigger. I'm upgrading my CPU and mobo so I can get a mini itx Mobo. Thanks for any case recommendations you can find.

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/960724277/matx-air-open-air-computer-case?gpla=1&gao=1&

    https://www.hydra-shop.com/product/hydra-mini/

    submitted by /u/SacredFIGHTER8
    [link] [comments]

    First build since 2014, higher end options, could use some opinions

    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 01:27 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm building for the first time in a while and could use some opinions/advice. A lot of these parts are those that topped the list of 'best ___ of 2021', and I tried to make sure they were optimized for each other. I'll take either the RTX 3080 or the rx 6800 xt, whichever I can get my hands on first. Thanks! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YjG3Yg

    submitted by /u/gostop266
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment