• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 20, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 20, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 20, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 20, 2021

    Posted: 20 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finally got this 3080 build together! (11600K)

    Posted: 20 May 2021 09:53 AM PDT

    Just got around to finishing this 3080 build, courtesy of the Newegg Shuffle.

    Specs:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080

    i5-11600K

    ASRock Z590M Phantom Gaming 4

    Abkoncore RGB 150W Cooler (Don't recommend by the way, but wanted to try it)

    2x8GB Spectrix D60G (Cheap RGB RAM, 3200Mhz C16), also 1x16GB of Ripjaws 3200MHz I had laying around. Not the best aesthetics, I know, but I think the extra memory is worth it.

    PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe

    WD Black 2TB HDD

    EVGA 750W G5 PSU

    NZXT H510

    Photos:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/1hvDImx

    submitted by /u/ArtofPC
    [link] [comments]

    I got scammed! This gtx 1080 does not work. Is there any sign of damage from this card?

    Posted: 19 May 2021 06:21 PM PDT

    I have done around 20 purchases and sells on offerup and I have never been scammed. I always look at the ratings and whether or not the person seems legit from the messages. The price on the card was 450, but it did not have a gpu shroud. I met the seller at a local Walmart and he met me on time and was fairly friendly from what I can tell. I usually test all pc parts that I buy or sell by using the outlet in my 4runner. However, I forgot my power brick this time and was not able to power my monitor. Next, the seller removed the fans and dropped the price for me to 430. I should have inspected the card a little bit more as a lot of the backplate screws were missing and the heatsink was incorrect. Also, there were no thermal pads on the vrms. I feel really sad right now and I do not know what to do as I just blew my gpu budget. I got home and tested the card asap and it did not post on multiple attempts with multiple different hdmi cables to make sure. The pc turns on, but their is no post and a white light error displays on my asus b550 itx montherboard.

    picture of card: https://imgur.com/gallery/hQ1XMSB

    more pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/j958NEz

    Edit: Good news, the seller responded and he is willing to meet again. I am so shocked that he responded. Thanks everyone for the help. Somehow he said that the card works for him. Lmk what you think?

    submitted by /u/rbala00
    [link] [comments]

    I want to put install a water cooler in my already built pc but my mom (im 14) doesn't want to help me install it because she thinks it's a hassle. I have the money to pay for it how hard is it and what are the chances of it leaking?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 08:30 AM PDT

    I bought an m.2 SSD and it did not come with a screw to mount it. Where can I find one?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 09:03 AM PDT

    I know these are supposed to come with the motherboard. I have not been able to find it and it's gone to the wind. What screw size should I be looking for and where can I find one?

    I do not mean a kit with multiple off of amazon or something, I just want a single screw.

    submitted by /u/noobtablet9
    [link] [comments]

    (URGENT) Need a 3600 3070 build case recommendation

    Posted: 20 May 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    Going to the store in 7 hours, need to determine the casing/fans situation. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Rayekkk
    [link] [comments]

    Is Ebay being overloaded with scam ads for graphics cards?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 02:00 PM PDT

    It really seems like there's been a massive flood of scams on Ebay. A lot of other people talking about it in this sub as well... I was wondering if anyone has any information about what is going on, exactly. Specifically, is Ebay aware of what's going on and trying to do something about it?

    submitted by /u/classy_barbarian
    [link] [comments]

    I need help, PC won't boot windows.

    Posted: 20 May 2021 11:39 AM PDT

    Everything was working fine yesterday. Today I tried to turn on the PC and it went straight to bios. Everything looked ok so I saved and exited. Then when trying to boot again, there was that message of no boot device.

    Windows 10 is installed on a M2 xpg gaming 512GB.

    I put the M2 on another computer and I can access it without any problems. Didn't try to boot from it though.

    On my PC, the M2 drive shows up on some parts of the bios, like the boot device priority. I tried clearing CMOS by removing the battery, but it didn't fix.

    The PC only has a few months, I upgraded in the beginning of the year and everything was fine.

    I'll run more tests later, but does anyone habe a guess? Most of google results are about new builds.

    submitted by /u/Mr_Samurai
    [link] [comments]

    PC crashed, no post, debugs switch between dram and cpu

    Posted: 20 May 2021 06:12 AM PDT

    Specs:

    Ryzen 7 3700x
    2060 super
    16gb corsair vengeance ram 3600mhz (can't remember the specific model but I can find if needed)
    Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro (non wifi), this replaced an MSI x570 gaming edge wifi
    Seasonic focus 650w gold psu
    WD blue nvme ssd and hdd

    My pc crashed with no post and basically the exact same problem in around September/October last year. It took 6 months to go through troubleshooting and sending the motherboard back for checking and eventually a refund (MSI mobo was original, now gigabyte). When I rebuilt the pc with the new motherboard I originally had the same problem before switching the ram sticks around a few times, which led to it posting and working for a few months. Last week I was on it (light browsing no intensive tasks) when it crashed again, no post and the dram and cpu debugs switching between each other. When I turn the pc on, the fans go on full before slowing down to more normal speeds, the debug lights go through cpu to dram however after a few seconds they will switch back to cpu for a split second and then return to dram. When this happens the fans speed up to what I think is full and then go down. So far I have tried reseating the ram as this fixed it last time but it has changed nothing, I have tried both sticks in both slots. I believe the problem is psu or ram related ( though this post points to the possibility of bios which I need to try https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/ju1ivb/dram_light_on_with_new_build_of_x570_pro_wifi_and/ ) however I do not have spare parts to try myself and so will need to buy any replacements.

    Any help or advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/pcisbroken1234
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop build thinks it’s a laptop

    Posted: 20 May 2021 08:02 AM PDT

    I upgraded a crap pc not too long ago. I upgraded everything except the motherboard, case and hard drives. It thinks it's a laptop though. I keep getting the error "this feature is not available in a portable workstation environment", I can't change the scroll direction, stuff like that is driving me crazy. Any way to fix or is this a permanent issue?

    Thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/wally123454
    [link] [comments]

    Basic Programming PC for a CS/IT Student

    Posted: 20 May 2021 07:57 AM PDT

    Hello, I am a CS Student and am looking forward to build a programming PC. I have 0 programming knowledge and looking forward to start learning from new.

    From What I researched on the internet, programming isn't particularly hardware intensive. Also I plan on using Linux as my main operating system. I may need to run VMs for testing out my code. (as per my course and code's requirement)

    I want to know that would this system be enough for a beginner like me ? (I have a Primary MacBook, and am building this PC for my room. I don't want to overspend a dime on this system)

    • Pentium G6400
    • MSI H410
    • Vengeance LPX 16gb/32gb (please recommend, I may use a dual screen setup down the line)
    • 512 WD Blue Nvme

    I am planning to use this system till March 2026.

    Will this be sufficient, or should I be upgrading to an i3/i5 (don't wanna go Ryzen as I'll need a GPU).

    submitted by /u/Snr_devops_
    [link] [comments]

    Is this good and legit?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 02:37 PM PDT

    Computer monitor around $100?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 02:28 PM PDT

    Currently using this: ASUS VS239H-P 23" Full HD 1920x1080 IPS HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3B5HP4X0SKV5VXQ0FEDY which I've had for YEARS.

    I plan on buying two monitors tomorrow when I get paid. I only have about $250 to split between them so i'm looking for recommendations.

    1080p is fine with me as I don't do any serious gaming and I watch TV in my living room, but a higher refresh rate would be nice.

    So, anyone have any recommendations on a good monitor around $100?

    submitted by /u/Lost_Grounds
    [link] [comments]

    Thunderbolt/USB C Dock with switching - to allow work laptop and mac mini share all peripherals?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 02:23 PM PDT

    Hi, I am looking for a product that I'm not sure exists. Sort of a hybrid between a thunderbolt dock and a KVM switch which would allow me to use my:

    • M1 Mac mini (home personal computer), and
    • Lenovo ThinkPad T14s (work laptop)

    without unplugging and moving cables around. I want the two computers to share:

    • dual monitors
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    • printer
    • headphones (wired or dongled)

    Basically something like this, but with two computer inputs and a button to switch between them when the work day ends and the home computer needs to be used: ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 | Universal Cable Docks (USB) | Part Number: 40AS0090US | Lenovo Canada

    Does such a product exist? Please recommend one to me! Thank you...

    PS I posted this in r/techsupport and it got removed, not sure if this is the right sub... any ideas appreciated though!

    submitted by /u/Akapikumin
    [link] [comments]

    £300 gaming monitor replacement?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    So February I kinda rushed into buying a gaming monitor. I got the Y25-25 Lenovo Legion 1080p 240hz 24.5"

    It was definitely an improvement from my 60hz 1080p. However my specs:

    • Ryzen 3 2300x
    • GeForce GTX 1660
    • 2x8gb 3200Mhz RAM

    Aren't very capable of 240fps in most games. I've also been having many issues for example the GSync option disappearing, weird flashing lines on the screen and a couple of other weird bugs. This cost me £299. I am probably going to return this to get a new one. My room is quite small so I can't get a very big one. Max probably 27". Looking at possibly a 1440p/144-165hz display or any you recommend for my pc. Also I should note I'm getting a 5600x upgrade soon. Budget ~£300. Ty!

    Edit: I don't mind going for a curved monitor either :)

    submitted by /u/poggers225
    [link] [comments]

    Can you guys lmk if it is worth building a PC using these parts I got for free? (newbie)

    Posted: 20 May 2021 02:20 PM PDT

    I work at a recycling centre, and scored some parts that my friends thought were decent. I'm not 100% sure they work, but they seem to be in pretty good shape. I'm trying to decide if its worth investing a couple hundred dollars in a build, because I don't want to end up with a piece of crap. Hoping to play Cyberpunk on lower graphics settings, Forza Horizon 4, and Warzone. Let me know if this build has potential, and if its worth investing money in some more decent parts. Thanks!

    MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard

    AMD Ryzen 5 1600x processor

    Radeon RX 480 GPU

    Some AMD CPU fan without a model on it.

    submitted by /u/ollypf
    [link] [comments]

    1080ti overclock settings not being applied

    Posted: 20 May 2021 11:41 AM PDT

    Hi, I use my PC for gaming and have had it for some time now. I've used MSI afterburner before for tweaking the GPU settings. For some reason now, the settings won't apply. I cannot control the fan speed or clocks. The stats on MSI afterburner says for exampls that the fan is at 100% when it is at idle. The tempreatyre limit does not work either. I have just resetted windows 10 in hopes of resolving any program conflicts but still I have the same problem. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/iinshallowseas
    [link] [comments]

    NZXT H510 Case modification

    Posted: 20 May 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    So after I made the build and play around with it I have noticed big temps on GPU and CPU. I directly saw with my hand on the sides glass and frontal one too.

    So I just thought I can do something here.

    Frontal glass out and metal grill in, i just worked that metal and asked friend to paint it black (real job) After that just added to the old frame and in again.

    Here is how it look like

    https://imgur.com/gallery/em4c72a

    https://imgur.com/gallery/HEMYSrU

    submitted by /u/Psy_pt1990
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend a GPU for my Aunt's very first PC

    Posted: 20 May 2021 09:25 AM PDT

    As the title says, I need a GPU recommendation for a build-in-progress for my aunt's first PC she has ever owned, in a present to welcome her some more to the tech of the 21st century.
    Current Build List

    For context:
    She's never owned a PC or smartphone before, for her entire life.
    A traditionalist through and through, she denounces modern GPS systems citing their frequent inaccuracies, and prefers her road atlases (atli?) she keeps in the trunk of her car.
    It was only until 2008 when we convinced her to get a cell phone (a brick at those times), and 2015 to upgrade (sadly, only to a flip phone instead- pay-per-minute). She doesn't see the point of a smartphone.
    The only computer she's ever used on a regular basis is her PC at work, a government agency.
    This changed after lockdown when the agency directed employees to work from home.
    Since she has never owned a PC or internet, the agency sent out a 5-man IT team to set her up with a company laptop and phone modem (she called it Dial-Up, but the modem is faster than Dial-up, I discovered.)
    Now, after six decades or so, she has internet in her house for the first time.
    She admitted to me that she kind of likes the internet now because she can take classes, watch seminars, and research small businesses and museums (a longtime hobby of hers) to keep her mind sharp, so she might even keep it after lockdown.

    Eventually, the day will come when there's no more lockdown, and even then, there's only so much she's allowed to do on an agency-registered machine.
    Thus, I'm building a PC for her that she can keep and use forever to learn and such to her heart's content.
    She loves movies and old classics, so I got a Blu-ray ready drive and 1440p monitor for her.
    All that's left is finding a GPU to support it all- the rest of the build is finished.

    With all this context, you can understand my situation.
    She's no gamer and probably will never be one, but I want a GPU that's strong enough to support 2K over DisplayPort that isn't archaic or outrageously expensive, if you catch my drift.
    And knowing her, she'll never upgrade on her own unless I intervene, so preferably a model that won't be unsupported in 2 years or so.
    So no fancy RTXs or super coveted GTXs y'know? Looking to spend up to around $150, give or take.
    Bonus points if you can point me to a place to get your recommendation!

    Thank you, r/buildapc community, in advance!

    submitted by /u/noebahdi
    [link] [comments]

    Faulty USB front panel slays expensive mobo

    Posted: 20 May 2021 09:20 AM PDT

    I was inserting a USB into my front panel as I have always done. This time, an error popped up from windows and my PC lost power. Since then, I have been unable to get my Z390-E to boot up. I have swapped out all the individual components and have isolated the issue to the motherboard.

    Obviously, I immediately got rid of the front panel connection and attempted to start it up by shorting the connection. I have tried resetting the CMOS as well. The motherboard still lights up as if it is getting ample power yet makes no attempt to boot when prompted.

    Are there any more tricks to try or am I buying a new motherboard?

    submitted by /u/tjknudson
    [link] [comments]

    What should I put on my Hard Drive?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    So I've had my PC for about a year now and had everything on a 1TB SSD, but recently I bought a 2TB Hard Drive because I was close to running out of storage. What files should I move to my hard drive? I know I should keep my games on my SSD, but should everything else go on my Hard Drive?

    Appreciate any help! :D

    submitted by /u/PaSheeeee
    [link] [comments]

    Umm...

    Posted: 20 May 2021 10:45 AM PDT

    So I accidentally bent a pin underneath the 24pin mobo connector when I tried to take the psu out, I tried to bend it back and it bent until it broke..... Is it necessary??bottom right

    submitted by /u/Big_Slime053
    [link] [comments]

    PC sometimes post into safe mode after RAM upgrade

    Posted: 20 May 2021 12:42 PM PDT

    Hello, everybody

    Sorry if this sub isn't for this type of things. I asked on r/techsupport but I got no answer, and I'm starting to worry.

    I recently upgraded my RAM. I bought a kit of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 16GB (2x8GB), 3600 MHz, CL18. Everything is nice, everything works. But the problem is that, as it says in the title, now my PC sometimes post into safe mode, and I don't know why

    I have an Asus H110M-R mobo, which supports RAM frequencies up to 2400 MHz. I don't have XMP enabled, so the new RAM run at 2133 MHz, so it should't be a problem

    Also, before I had a kit Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, 8GB (2x4GB), 2400 mHz. With those, I didn't have this problem, but if I enabled XMP, sometimes it would post into safe mode

    What could the problem be?

    Please tell me if you need any other info to determine the problem

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Leo_Pica
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if you use a Ryzen 5600x in a motherboard that first needs a bios update to support it, without updating bios?

    Posted: 20 May 2021 10:30 AM PDT

    I won the Newegg Shuffle...twice.

    Posted: 19 May 2021 05:14 PM PDT

    Here's the computer I built with the parts! https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRtPbNBnZwRSWiZM9

    I won (the privilege of buying) an MSI 3060, MSI motherboard, Corsair 4000D case, OLOy 32gb of 3600 mHZ RAM, and the legendary AMD Ryzen 5950X.

    I used the RM 850W power supply from my old computer and the 2TB Samsung SSD to boot.

    Had some problems with RAM location but after that, POSTed right up!

    Also, I felt inspired by this community and started my own PC building and consultation business in my home town!

    Checked out the pics and let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/goldstealer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment