• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 27, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 27, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 27, 2021

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Can a high end cpu with low end gpu cause lag in Minecraft?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 03:44 AM PDT

    I currently have an 10900KF with a RX 570, as I haven't been able to purchase a new gpu due to shortages. I experience a few framedrops in Minecraft, but I know that Minecraft is very cpu dependent. Can this still be caused by my gpu?

    Edit: fixed it by reinstalling Java and using sodium

    Edit 2: The RX 570/580 are actually midrange, not low end. I phrased the title wrong, as I am not a native speaker. I meant the difference in performance compared to a faster gpu.

    Edit 3: Wow, how did this simple post asking for help skyrocket? Thank you for all answers and suggestions!

    Edit 4: 1.1k upvotes on a help post is insane! Thanks for all the upvotes, advice, suggestions and awards.

    submitted by /u/ifuxit
    [link] [comments]

    i might have a trash pre-built system but i love reading your posts

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 12:09 PM PDT

    you seem so happy about building pcs, upgrading your parts, it is really uplifting for a dude like me who tries to do the same

    submitted by /u/waldek59
    [link] [comments]

    Can I make my room colder by improving my PC thermals?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 07:39 PM PDT

    Right now my PC is making my room too hot when gaming. My rx 580 reaches 75°C/167 and my ryzen 5 5600 runs at 65° C at most when gaming. My case gets hot at touch and my room becomes hot to the point its bothering me. I have 5 120mm deepcool fans (2 Intake and 3 outtake) and have been thinking of changing at least two of them for the be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 140mm. My case is the Macube 310

    • Would this change make a difference on the temperature of the room?

    • How much better are the be quiet fans?

    • Would this make a big difference in sound?

    • Would it be better to have 3 120 mm deepcool or 2 bequiet as intake?

    • Would you recommend me changing my case even thought it was expensive af.

    Thx guys. I won't be answer comment by comment because this post got bigger than I expected. I will try to under-volt my GPU and maybe get better fans just to be quieter. The problem is that I live in brazil and they are quite expensive here, something like 4-6x the price of the deepcool.

    submitted by /u/RafaelRkg
    [link] [comments]

    What CPU to pair with 970 GTX 4GB in 2021?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 12:46 AM PDT

    Just got my hands on a good condition 970 GTX (4GB). I'm looking to build a somewhat budget build with it for mainly gaming as it's highest demand. I want the PC to last awhile before the next big upgrade.

    What would you pair this GPU with in today's market?

    I was thinking maybe something like a Ryzen 5 2600? Should I go more future proof and get the 3600? Also could you recommend me a motherboard as well that has built-in WiFi and/or bluetooth.

    I'd like it to be able to play games like Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, and Borderlands 3 at a smooth 1080p 60FPS even if it has to be on low settings.

    EDIT: Forgot to include my budget limit, but I'm definitely going to go with an i5-10400f/11400f or Ryzen 5 3600. Either one with a budget motherboard around $140.

    submitted by /u/The_Battler
    [link] [comments]

    AMD 5600x or Intel 10900K first build.

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 07:42 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm building my first pc and I'm having a hard time to decide between AMD or Intel. I can get the 5600x for $390 and the Intel 10900K for $595. I'm going to pair the cpu with a rtx3070 and don't plan to stream. The purpose is mainly for gaming and occasional YouTube.

    submitted by /u/suswe
    [link] [comments]

    Best Budget 144hz Monitor

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    My old monitor recently stopped working and I was looking for a new one. I've seen a lot of different options and I've brought it down to 4 monitors but I'm not sure which of them is the best. Anything I should know or opinions about the following monitors?

    MSI Optix G271

    Acer Nitro XV240Y Pbmiiprx

    MSI Optix MAG240CR

    MSI Optix G242

    (Not sure if this is the right place or format if not, sorry)

    submitted by /u/Brickfalcon25
    [link] [comments]

    gaming headphones

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 12:43 PM PDT

    what headphones should i get? preferably with a mic, and under or around €50, doesn't need to be like insane quality just something that'll work and not break in 3 months

    submitted by /u/-FL4K-
    [link] [comments]

    Will my Ryzen 5 1600 AF bottleneck a 3060?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 01:53 AM PDT

    There is a 3060 in stock for not mindblowingly scalper prices and I am wondering if it would be bottlenecked by my 1600 AF. I am currently running a 750 Ti and would like to upgrade. My motherboard only supports PCIe Gen 3 because it is B450, so would it be a good idea to later get a 3600 and a B550 board? I do not have much money right now so I cannot buy both at the same time.

    edit: my dad wont let me get it

    submitted by /u/supercoolguy364
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade CPU or GPU

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 08:38 AM PDT

    Looking to get more frames in Warzone, I average around 80-100 frames but looking to get at 144. Should I upgrade my cpu or my gpu?

    GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

    For reference, I have 16 GB of RAM and play on 1080p.

    submitted by /u/amomynous101
    [link] [comments]

    An important reminder on bottlenecks

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 07:10 AM PDT

    In the past couple of days I've seen multiple posts asking if a certain 30~ series card would bottleneck an older CPU(I myself made a similar post) and if they should wait to upgrade.

    My personal belief is that if you are able to obtain a graphics card at a low price or slightly above msrp, you should buy it. According to both Nvidia and AMD, the GPU shortage will most likely last into 2022, and according to Linus and Snazzy (From LinusTechTips & Snazzylabs respectfully) the shortage could theoretically last until late 2022 & 2023.

    People need to stop making out bottlenecks to be these awful things. A bottleneck just means your system runs hotter than normal, and your GPU doesn't get it's full desired performance. In the current state of the GPU market, when you aren't sure when you'll be able to upgrade, I would buy a card and let it bottleneck, as it's easier to find CPUs to upgrade in the future than GPUs.

    TLDR:

    Don't worry about bottlenecking, if your able to find a GPU at a low price, take it, as we don't know how long the shortage will last, and it'll be hard to find similar prices later.

    submitted by /u/imthe44th
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3070 Very High Temperature During Gaming

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 02:24 PM PDT

    Hi, I got to say that I'm a bit of what you'd call a PC noob; having built my first pc 4 months ago, I've recently run into a temperature problem with my Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition.

    (In case you need this info: I'm running a Ryzen 5 5600x on an Asus Prime A520M-K, with 16 GB of RAM. I've got a Coolermaster MB520 Case, 3 120mm fans [1200 RPM] on the front of the case and an exhaust in the back).

    GPU Idle temp: 40-42C

    GPU Gaming temp: 75-82C (Medium-High Settings)

    Room temp: 20-22C.

    A bit of context. I got myself Assassin's Creed Unity, and as soon as I launched it, my GPU started to make a weird buzzing noise. I realised it's actually a coil whine. It's not super loud but still noticeable.

    I played with the graphic settings for AC Unity, and pulled a medium-high customization. The coil whine got reduced, but it isn't gone. The problem though, is that my GPU reaches 82C after a bit of playing the game. It fluctuates between 67-75C for the first 10-20 min, then goes all the way to 80+, and during more demanding bits (cut scenes and in the game menu), it reaches 83C.

    I only played WOW and Dota 2 on the PC before, and there were no problems whatsoever (not exactly demanding games, I guess). I then got myself the Witcher 3 to see how it behaves, and it got the same problems as AC Unity, high GPU temp. (I should probably mention that the fans on the GPU don't seem to go above 32% unless I make a custom fan curve).

    I researched undervolting, got MSI Afterburner and actually managed to get the GPU temp between 45-55C (gaming), reducing the Voltage by 50mV (on the Voltage/Frequency curve, Idk what I'm doing) and it seemed all right…until I alt-tabbed from the game and my pc restarted.

    I benchmarked in Ungine Heaven, and everything was stable. Without changing anything with Afterburn, the GPU wouldn't go past 67C. I tried a few more things but nothing seems like a solid solution.

    If you guys could help me out, I would really appreciate it. I am willing to add/replace fans, maybe even an AIO for the GPU if you think that will do the job. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Mujica_
    [link] [comments]

    My brothers 3070 seems to have kicked the bucket

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    • Corsair rm 550x
    • ryzen 5 3600
    • Asus Prime X570 - P
    • 3070 founders edition
    • 2 x 8 gb gkills 3200 mhz ram

    Hi guys hoping someone could help me out or give me some advice! My brother was watching a YouTube video and he heard a "tsk" sound... was the best way he could describe it. His computer then completely shut down.

    Since then his PC can turn on (ram leds and fans turn on) but the fans in the graphics aren't spinning and his screen is black. We took out the card and it very hot which is strange as he has a good fan setup (noctua).

    When plugged back in it didn't really help at all but then we could hear the audio of him getting discord messages when we turned the pc back on. So we must have been on his home screen. I would of thought we wouldn't of been able to get that far without the graphics card. Tried different ports (hmdi/do) no luck.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ChunkMclovin
    [link] [comments]

    Does the Ryzen 5 5600x work with G-Skill 3600Mhz RAM?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 02:22 PM PDT

    I had decided to start to build a PC with the following parts, Ryzen 5 5600x, G-Skill RGB 3600Mhz CL18 Memory, RTX 3070, MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Motherboard, Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, and a Corsair RMx 750+ Gold Power Supply.

    I cannot test if the memory works since I do not have my graphics card yet.

    submitted by /u/Unusual-Danger
    [link] [comments]

    PC freezes, followed by USB disconnect sound

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 12:38 PM PDT

    As the title says, my screen randomly freezes, followed by windows' usb disconnect sound, and then it all freezes completely including even my RGB fans. I have no idea what triggered this issue, i looked inside the PC and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Is my PSU failing or something?

    submitted by /u/Kuyarei-
    [link] [comments]

    Did I just ruin my new motherboard?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 06:37 AM PDT

    My old motherboard got damaged so I had to replace it. While screwing the CPU fan I didn't realize that it was not properly aligned to the backplate.

    So I managed to expand the CPU fan hole, is this enough for it to ruin my new motherboard and will I have to replace it?

    image

    submitted by /u/KC_Quito
    [link] [comments]

    How to make sure my components are working properly?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 01:22 AM PDT

    Hey guys, so I recently upgraded my RAM + got a 3080 and wanted to figure out how I can test them?

    I don't feel like I'm getting enough of a FPS boost from slotting in my 3080 ( upgraded from a 1070) as some games still won't hit 144 frames. Could this be because I'm using a 600 watt PSU? Or is it my i5 8600k bottle necking the GPU? The GPU is consistently rating like bottom 10% of all 3080s on userbenchmark, but another post told me that userbenchmark scores should never be trusted.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/GoldenFyre
    [link] [comments]

    Cant reactivate windows

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 11:31 AM PDT

    Today I swapped my CPU, Motherboard, RAM and a new Boot SSD and thew out my old 60 gig SSD which was my bootdrive until today.

    I've used a tool to read out the windows key from my old installation and entered it after installing windows on my "new" PC but it doesnt let me activate windows.

    I've even logged in with my microsoft account, but still nothing...

    Does anyone here have an idea what to do other than buying a new license?

    I still have the old SSD if that helps.

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/CurZZe
    [link] [comments]

    Good M.2

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 03:00 PM PDT

    I only have an HDD for my PC (yet to be built) and wanted it to boot up fast since my current one takes 15 minutes. Ik that I need a good M.2 and was wondering which would be reccomended for fast boot up times (and incase there's a compatibility thing my motherboard is the Tomahawk b450 max II)

    submitted by /u/Darakae
    [link] [comments]

    Shoutout to the EVGA queue program

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 02:55 PM PDT

    I had completely forgotten that I signed up to buy a 3070 through EVGA's website and today, out of the blue I received the go ahead email to login and order a card.

    I was expecting the price to have been jacked up but at the top of the screen when I clicked the link in the email, there was a disclaimer saying that they will be honoring the original MSRP for people who are in the queue and receive the notification to order prior to May 14th.

    I was not expecting this at all and with the GPU shortage slated to get worse before it gets better, I am extremely thankful.

    To anyone who queued in November (like I did) and are still waiting on an email, there is still hope! Keep an eye on those emails!

    submitted by /u/WakingLurker
    [link] [comments]

    New pc build with olds hdd and ssd

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 02:55 PM PDT

    So im building a new pc but i didnt buy any new hdd/ssd/m.2 and the pc turns on but theres no videos even tho everything seems to be fine. Is it being caused by the old drivers in the ssd?

    submitted by /u/lopada
    [link] [comments]

    Two DOA motherboards?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 11:06 AM PDT

    Hi all, I recently bought some parts to upgrade, I bought an MSI B450 gaming plus max from newegg and after putting my components together nothing happened when I tried to power it on. I went through every troubleshooting step in the book, made sure my power supply was functioning properly, tried powering it on with minimal components to see if I could get a post code, no dice no matter what I tried. I returned it for replacement and my new one is doing the exact same thing. Has anyone ever received two DOA mobos in a row or is there something I don't know about?

    submitted by /u/FabianGladwart
    [link] [comments]

    [Is it a good PC Configuration?]

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 02:49 PM PDT

    Processor: Intel Core i5-10400F

    GPU: GTX 1650 4GB

    Motherboard: AsRock B460M-HDV, LGA 1200

    Power Supply: Gigabyte GP-P550B - 550W (Is it enough?)

    RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB 2666MHz

    SSD: XPG S41 TUF 256GB M.2 - Reading: 3500MB/s, Writing: 1000MB/s

    submitted by /u/3DModelsByPinguNBR
    [link] [comments]

    is Overclocking important?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2021 07:48 AM PDT

    I'm planning on getting the 11400F intel cpu but recently I found out you can't overclock this specific cpu. I could go for ryzen5600 but its a lot more then the 11400. should I stick with a non overlooking cpu or is overlooking that important!??

    submitted by /u/Fit-Constant2601
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment