• Breaking News

    Monday, April 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 26, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 26, 2021

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How do I control fan speeds in my case? Do I need a fan controller or can I do it with software?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 05:25 AM PDT

    1080 hybrid trade for a 2070?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 07:10 AM PDT

    I have been offered a straight trade for an MSI Venturas 2070 for my EVGA 1080 hybrid. Every benchmark that I'm seeing puts the 2070 at ~6-8% faster, but that's it.

    Is there something I'm missing here? Would you go through with such a trade?

    Dude says he is just wanting to water cool his pc, but won't have enough room to cool his gpu so he's wanting the water block on the gpu instead.

    submitted by /u/im_a-compulsive-liar
    [link] [comments]

    Very critical write speeds on my MP510

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:39 AM PDT

    So I've ran CrystalDiskMark and here are the results. And I don't think these are normal because they were advertised as 2000MB/s normally. What should I do ? Also I checked the temps of the MP510 and they are at 40°C, so I don't know if that's really the problem

    submitted by /u/DilanDuck
    [link] [comments]

    I need help with my m.2 nvme drive.

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 04:44 AM PDT

    Yesterday i bought a 1tb samsung 980 m.2 drive. I got home and unplugged all drives, installed it, installed windows on it but when i replugged everything and tried to boot my pc wouldnt turn on. Thats when i noticed that my m.2 drive that i bought was not being detected in bios. I have an x570 Gaming Edge Wifi motherboard, which in the bios allows me to see every single thing that is plugged on the motherboard. Tried it with both m.2 slots and it did not show up in neither of them. It initially showed up, since i was able to install windows on it, but when i tried to execute the windows installer from a drive again, to see if it would at least show it there it wasnt appearing at all. Can anybody help me? could it be that the m.2 drive burned out or something like that? ive been at it almost 1 whole day, i just want to use my new drive.

    submitted by /u/IDontDoGames12
    [link] [comments]

    Can I move My (D:) drive to a new PC? (SSD)

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 07:18 AM PDT

    My PC has been acting up so I've put some important files on my second SSD thinking that If the PC gives out I can just trensfer it to a new one. I built my current PC years ago but will probably buy my next one pre-built. (<If I'm allowed to say that here...) So my question is basically if I'll be able to just plonk the (D:) in a new PC or will it be formatted when I do? I've also read that you can transfer the OS SSD but that seemed like a little more work than I'm up for. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/CoolCreamDream
    [link] [comments]

    Does there exist a piece of hardware that i can plug peripherals AND multiple computers into and have a switch so they all switch from one computer to another en masse?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 07:51 AM PDT

    I am working from home and want to finalize a home office setup. I wish to keep my work computer and personal computer seperate but would like to start easily sharing my nice keyboards and monitors. I know this thing has to exist but i dont know what its called.

    submitted by /u/mrcelophane
    [link] [comments]

    Help me please

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    My psu in my pc wasn't working so I replaced the PSU given to me by the prebuilt company I then heard a gurgling noise and smoke came out. My parents are mad at me and I spent all my money on it. What did I do wrong and how can I fix? Is my storage gone?

    submitted by /u/Frank_0_
    [link] [comments]

    Difference between B560 and H510 Motherboards

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 04:05 AM PDT

    I was just wondering what the difference would be if I paired up at i5 11400f with either a B560 or H510 motherboard. I have 16gb 3200mhz ram and wondering if this affects anything. I was looking to get an itx motherboard and wondered to get either the Asrock B560m-itx or the MSI H510i-pro. The price of the two are similar but as running an ethernet cable is a hassle for me I wondered if the wifi 6 on the MSI motherboard + more usb ports which would outweigh me purchasing the Asrock B560 motherboard. Just want some opinions before making a purchase. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Newguyontheblock2021
    [link] [comments]

    whats the biggest diffrence between a B450 board vs a B550 board. I originally wanted the Tomahawk max but then saw a MSI B550-A Pro for cheaper and didn't know what to chose. What would be smarter?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 10:14 AM PDT

    Looking for a PC Monitor for $350

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 04:48 AM PDT

    Hello,

    As my old monitor died (was using it for 2nd screen, my main one for past 5 years is Eizo FS 2434) I'm looking for a new main monitor (and Eizo will be a new side one).

    It will be used for basically all the content, games, CGI, movies, internet and one of more important conditions I have for it is color accuracy.

    After tons and tons tests and comparisons between various monitors I've decided on Acer Nitro XV272UPBMIIPRZX. I knew it's color pre-calibrated, but after turning it on I was still in awe. Eizo looked bleak in comparison and I did not expect this. Unfortunately I've noticed some backlight bleeding during daytime. After checking it at night on black background it turned out quite excessive. Even on 0% brightness it was more visible than on Eizo's 70%. Tried to swap it to another copy, but shop actually decided to return money.

    Now, shall I try getting another one (maybe it will be better one)? Or do You maybe have better options for me?

    TL:DR
    Looking for: 1440p, IPS, free/g-sync, 27", good color accuracy, HDR is welcome as well.

    Thanks in advance ^^

    submitted by /u/neltisen
    [link] [comments]

    Just wanted to say thanks

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:45 PM PDT

    This sub is great, super helpful and people are willing to take their time to help me or any other person out. I'd give everyone awards if I could :)

    submitted by /u/poggers225
    [link] [comments]

    1070 committed suicide... Options?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 11:58 AM PDT

    Pretty much what the title says. Somehow it shorted itself and we all know the current state of pc parts. Is there anything I can do at this point because even finding a card is basically impossible. I'm so completely discouraged with life right now, this is absolutely the cherry on top of my shit Sunday I've been force fed for the past few months.

    Also, does anyone know how to get my igpu to output? Obviously going into bios with my card is out of the question so as it is my pc is completely useless to me with no display.

    submitted by /u/Texaz_RAnGEr
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading CPU, MB and RAM

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 06:51 AM PDT

    Budget (including currency): 350-400 eur

    Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly games, not much else

    Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I am currently running i5 7500, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB of RAM 2333 MHZ, Seasonic Focus Plus 550W GOLD, GIGABYTE B250M-D3H - Intel B250, SilentiumPC Regnum RG4 Pure Black.

    Since GPUs are really hard to get, I am starting with CPU, MB and RAM. It feels like games are starting to take advantage of more cores and threads, thats why I feel like it is time to upgrade frrom 4 cores to something better.

    I am looking at 10400 or 11400, really not sure which one should I pick, any advice here? I have looked at benchmarks and the results are very close, but 11400 is better, but also little more expensive. I would also prefer non-F version, just to be safe if anything happens with my current GPU.

    If you have any advice at all, maybe go for Ryzen? Please, let me know.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Revodemo
    [link] [comments]

    My motherboard starts but the fans, gpu and anything else doesn’t

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 08:13 AM PDT

    So I'm building my first pc and I'm doing all the cables but when I've plugged everything in and I start the pc nothing happens, the only thing that happens is that the motherboard lights up. Anyone know what to do?

    submitted by /u/BigMonkeyMan1337
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming server Recommendations/Input Needed

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 11:56 AM PDT

    Hey all, I recently upgraded my PC and was looking to get some use out of the older parts (Intel 6700k and a Asus Sabertooth Z170S MOBO). I'm not as familiar with building servers so I thought I'd screen it here first. I'm planning on running servers for Space Engineers, Minecraft, and additionally might run a PLEX server on top of it. The specs are currently looking like this

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pqNnVc)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fcqbt6/intel-cpu-cm8066201919901) |-

    **CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $31.99 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/C4s8TW/asus-motherboard-sabertoothz170s) |-

    **Memory** | [Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QBrYcf/kingston-hyperx-fury-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-hx432c16fb3k216) | $104.50 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam) |-

    **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xsn8TW/evga-supernova-ga-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-ga-0650-x1) | $79.98 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$216.47**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-04-26 14:41 EDT-0400 |

    Taking any recommendations on things I should change or cases/fans I should buy for it (Power isn't an issue, but noise is something I'd like to keep down if possible).

    submitted by /u/Deeks_Cheeks
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about upgrading - looking for advice as it's been a while!

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 11:47 AM PDT

    Hey gang! I built my first PC about 5-6 years ago and it's really starting to show its age, as it was a budget build at the time. It seems like budget builds nowadays get much more bang for the buck so I've been eyeing an upgrade to a ~$1000 2021 build.

    Here's what I've got now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4hFfLP

    And here's what I'm looking at: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P9nTfP

    A couple of notes: I do live quite close to a microcenter, so I've manually entered some microcenter prices. I don't mind waiting for things to pop up in store and buying piecemeal. The past couple of shipments have had quite a few 1660 supers coming in so that's what I've got in my sights. I've also got all of my peripherals handled, as well as my Windows key.

    My goals: 1) modern games at 1080p high settings, steady 60fps on my current monitor, and potentially upgrading to a 1440p 60fps monitor down the road. 2) Small footprint. I'm pretty committed to the nr200 and I've done a lot of research on that.

    My questions: 1) is 450w enough or should I bump up to the 600w power supply? 2) Would you make this upgrade, if you were able to get these parts at these prices? 3) are there any other spots where I can save some money?

    submitted by /u/GreenTambourine
    [link] [comments]

    My first PC advice

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    I am planning on building a PC within the year. I don't know much about it though, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Just let me know what you think, and if there are any problems with this build. :)

    - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

    - Cooling: Corsair iCUE Elite Capellix

    - Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B Ultragear QHD

    - Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A

    - RAM: G.Skill 16 GB DDR4 Trident Z Royal Silver

    - CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

    - GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3080

    - HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB

    - SSD: Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2

    - PSU: GAMEMAX RGB 850w-Rainbow

    - Cables: Lian Li Strimer RGB PSU

    submitted by /u/New-Story-7459
    [link] [comments]

    PCIe Adapter with M2 SSD not being detected

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    I have a B550 gaming carbon WiFi motherboard with a Ryzen 3700x cpu

    I have a 3090 in my pcie lane and 2 m2 ssds in the 2 m2 slots.

    I am trying to install a 3rd m2 SSD and plugged it into the second pcie slot of the motherboard and it's not showing up in bios though the back of the drive has a red light, so it looks like it's getting power at least.

    Is there a reason why this additional SSD isn't showing up? Is it because I've used up all of my pcie lanes or am I not doing something that I should be doing after installing a pcie adapter?

    submitted by /u/runfastination
    [link] [comments]

    i5 9600k overclocking

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:47 PM PDT

    So i managed to overlock my cpu but my voltage is at 1.38 at 5ghz. So far i've only tested cyberpunk and gameplay wise it's much better but my temps are below 80 degrees. Is this a safe temp and is the voltage safe?

    submitted by /u/mymom79
    [link] [comments]

    After building a PC, any advice on desk organization?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:45 PM PDT

    I've benefitted a lot from.this community, and just hoping for some help on desk organization. My PC is built, but now I need help with cable management on my desk. I have two monitors, my PC, a work laptop, mouse, laptop, power bar, etc.

    What types of products are best to use to hide and organize everything? I've used a couple, but they haven't been very high quality. Would appreciate your recommendations!

    submitted by /u/TheTwall
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with finding the right parts for my first pc

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:45 PM PDT

    I have parts for my pc here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ feel free to give comments on what I should change also I'm using this for school and at least a stable 120 fps on minecraft (Im using intel integrated graphics for now until the gpu shortage ends

    submitted by /u/New-River9147
    [link] [comments]

    Build a pc or buy a prebuilt?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 02:06 AM PDT

    What do you guys think is the better option? I heard there's a part shortage right now but I've also been waiting a long time to build one. My budget is $1500 cad. What would be the better option?

    submitted by /u/_neonpenguin
    [link] [comments]

    AIO'S

    Posted: 26 Apr 2021 01:36 PM PDT

    Hi guys I'm building an i7 11700k system and I was thinking of getting the corsair h100i platinum rgb 240mm, do yous think that would be enough if I'm pushing this cpu in games (not overclocking it)

    submitted by /u/SKelly2611
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment