• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 25, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 25, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 25, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 25, 2021

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The current state of the PC components market - A message from your mod team

    Posted: 13 Apr 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    Howdy folks,

    As you may or may not be aware, the PC component market is reeling from a multitude of factors. Graphics Cards are extremely hard to come by, selling out instantly even at inflated prices and being resold on the second hand market for many times their original retail price. However the issues run deeper than this with a combination of Covid-19, cryptocurrency mining, tariffs, production limitations and other supply and demand factors coinciding to mean that finding graphics cards, CPUs and some other components has become incredibly frustrating.

    We all want to build great PCs, and right now it's hard and that sucks.

    We ask for your help during these shortages by requesting that you pay mind to the following:

    • We cannot predict when this situation will ease or end. No one has a crystal ball.

    • Don't ask us how to buy a GPU. You can read about others' experiences and see if you can emulate them with the time and skills you have available, but no-one has an easy answer. People are finding GPUs at retail and patience is one of the primary methods that yields rewards.

    • Some people might decide to use bots to assist them in making a purchase. On /r/buildapc, we do not condone the discussion, recommendation or advertisement of bots.

    • Please don't get scammed. This is a fraught market and fraudsters will exploit your desire to buy a GPU. If a product is being sold by a third party below market price in all probability it is bait for a scam. Never send money by bank transfer, Paypal Friends & Family, or strange cash apps you've not heard of until your seller suggests them. Engage in any non-retail transaction with extreme caution. Ensure any payments you make are covered by robust buyer protection. We will not permit topics such as 'Is this a scam?' or 'Did I get scammed?'

    • Do not offer to sell or ask to buy components in this subreddit or via direct message. Posts will be removed and posters banned.

    • Be kind to one another. Some people may choose to pay inflated prices. Other people may mine with their GPUs. Neither of those make abuse or harassment acceptable and we will take action against breaches of our rules concerning civility.

    In the meantime there are ways to build a PC now despite the GPU shortage:

    You could build a stop-gap system with graphics output integrated into the CPU or search for cheaper older used cards such as the AMD RX480/570/580 or Nvidia GTX 970/1060. Cards with less than 4GB VRAM are no longer optimal for mining and so may be more readily available. There are many possible solutions, and we're sure the buildapc community can help you if you need a PC right now and can't wait for supply to catch up to demand.

    To keep the rest of the subreddit on topic, please keep discussion of the GPU shortages, retail frustrations, etc. to this thread only. Other submissions will be removed.

    submitted by /u/OolonCaluphid
    [link] [comments]

    After months and months of delay, here is my very first PC!

    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 11:37 PM PDT

    My very first PC. Doesn't have the latest and greatest specs but is certainly enough for my gaming needs. I just want to say a big thanks to those who helped me pick the parts and answered all my questions, including the dumb ones.

    Specs: Ryzen 5 5600X

    Asus B550-A ROG Strix Gaming

    Enermax T50 AXE RGB Cooler

    Corsair Vengeance 16(2x8)GB 3200Mhz

    GTX 1050Ti (A good friend of mine let me borrow his old GPU)

    Gigabyte 500GB M.2 Gen4 SSD

    Apexgaming 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

    NZXT H510 Elite

    submitted by /u/UbeCheeseDesal
    [link] [comments]

    How can I convince my parents that building a pc is safe

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 07:39 AM PDT

    I've never built a PC, but have really wanted to.

    I've done plenty of research into building a PC, and have asked a friend who has rebuilt theirs multiple times to help build it when I get the parts.

    But my parents don't trust that it's safe since they have no knowledge about it. How can I convince them?

    Edit: I showed them some LTT videos and helped them to understand that it's not difficult to mess up. They now want to help me pursue this and they said they will even help pay for some of the parts. Thank you everyone for the help on this.

    submitted by /u/XDaMoose
    [link] [comments]

    Best Component to Upgrade to Increase FPS

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 07:40 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I currently use my pc to game and record/stream. I bought it 2 years ago and it was exactly what I needed at the time, but with games getting better and having a new monitor I am looking to max out my FPS for the best gaming experience while recording/streaming.

    I use OBS to record/stream in 1080p 60fps with webcam while playing games. I use OBS because it's less intense on my CPU - when I used Streamlabs OBS I always dropped frames in game when streaming. OBS isn't terrible by any means but I'd like to switch back to Streamlabs OBS as long as I won't catch terrible game performance. For reference with the exact same settings I am getting 40+ FPS more with OBS than Streamlabs OBS when streaming (70-80 FPS vs 30-40 FPS). I am looking to at least get 144 FPS playing games like Warzone while at least recording (and streaming if possible) and I thought I'd ask the Reddit community instead of trusting these random online articles on what would be best to upgrade. Also, if there is any way to do all that while maxing out graphics settings in game too, that would be fantastic, although I think I am starting to venture into dual pc territory there.

    Also, before anyone asks, I have spent hours trying different ways to improve FPS on games and none of it worked, using advice from anywhere I could find it (Reddit or otherwise). I think at this point it's my hardware that is limiting me (and I think it's my CPU).

    Current specs and monitor below:

    Monitor: LG 27GL850-B QHD 1440p 144 Hz Res: 2560x1440, 144 Hz

    PC Specs: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 16 GB RAM

    Example Game: Warzone Currently getting 70-80 FPS while playing normally and recording, 55-65 FPS while streaming (in game).

    UPDATE: Here are my current settings for Warzone and OBS: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag0R44kQn3V0gbkvGDyiGJCafyr-qQ?e=0HRUiI

    submitted by /u/AAron_PSU
    [link] [comments]

    Did I do something wrong when I built my PC?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 12:37 PM PDT

    I have an i9-10900k which has a TDP of 125w

    Just playing a game and having youtube open my Package/IA powers are at 83w/80w. Does this mean that my cpu is pulling over 160w which is 35w over TDP and causing throttling?

    submitted by /u/obnoxus
    [link] [comments]

    RAM problem...

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 07:05 AM PDT

    Hello guys,

    I need some help... I have the "famous" problem of 16gb installed but 8 are "reserved". I tried all of this: - MSConfig -> changed the maximum RAM but didn't work - I tried to boot on Linux to see if i have my 16gb but no... - I tried to switch the RAM's position - I tried to boot with only one RAM to know if the other one is dead but no... (ofc i did it for both) - I updated my BIOS

    It's weird because my PC recognised both of my sticks, even on CPU-Z. I think i have something to do in my BIOS but i'm kind of lost...

    Does someone have a clue please?

    I'm running on: - MSI B450 Tomahawk - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 - 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Mhz

    Thank you!

    PS: i might have a broken pine on my CPU can this be related?

    submitted by /u/mRaiizen
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3090 pricing

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    I recently found an RTX 3090 for $1869. The msrp of this card is around $1500. Is this still a good deal?

    submitted by /u/MessayWaffle123
    [link] [comments]

    Build a PC: Uni Research. Thanks!

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 05:47 AM PDT

    We are conducting small research for PC-building enthusiasts. and wanted to share a 6 question survey with the group. Please feel free to help us out. Here is the link https://forms.gle/eDACZkd2ByDjdduAA

    It will be much appreciated. thanks

    submitted by /u/MayonieseK
    [link] [comments]

    PCIE slot Mini-PCs - Do they work and are there alternatives?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 08:30 AM PDT

    Over the last couple of days I've been doing a ton of research on Intel's Nuc 9 Compute Unit - a mini-PC that fits into a PCIE slot. It's meant to be used in an enclosure where a base-board with 2 PCIE slots connects the Nuc to a GPU, but it could, in theory, also slot into a normal PC as well. I know that Der8auer got this working, but has anyone else had any luck with it? Are there any cheaper alternatives? I'd mostly use it to run a Hackintosh for building Apple and IOS apps while I mainly develop on my PC bc I'm not a huge fan of running virtual machines.

    submitted by /u/StankNShank
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not sure about the compatibility of my pc components

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 03:11 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I hope I'm in the right reddit to post.

    So the thing is, I'm about to purchase a new GPU for my pc but I don't know if it is compatible with my motherboard and everything else. The new GPU is a Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2GB GDDR5 and my motherboard is a Lenovo, model 3706, 40700 WIN 32581560.

    By the way my current GPU is a AMD Radeon RX Vega 11.

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/Kaiserynn
    [link] [comments]

    Should I trade my RX580 (8gb) +100USD for a blower design 1080ti?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 05:51 AM PDT

    Should I trade my RX580 (8gb) +100USD for a blower design 1080ti?

    Or a 1080 FE for 450?

    submitted by /u/manimaco
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a newbie and I want to be enlightened about various things :)

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 02:47 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I'm a newbie in the PC building world and I joined this subreddit because I'm starting to be fed up of laptops. But there's one thing: I don't know anything about that, and that's why I'll be asking a bunch of things in this post.

    My situation: Music producer, wants to build a PC at an affordable price ($1000 is my absolute max) to get high performance to produce music with heavy processing.

    I'm not asking for a full parts list, just some advice to begin well.

    1. What is the complete list of components I need? I read the wiki about that but I wanna be sure I don't miss a thing, and I'm not sure to need everything.
    2. Can I choose any components? Or maybe certain types of computer chassis aren't compatible with specific components (I really don't know)?
    3. Any random advice on your mind? It sure can help so feel free.

    Thank you for reading ~ Ahurac

    submitted by /u/AhuracMusic
    [link] [comments]

    Buy The Dip

    Posted: 23 Apr 2021 09:52 PM PDT

    No, seriously. If you have a brick and mortar retailer who sells GPU's, drop by here and there. The drop in crypto has a lot of froggy "miners" jumping ship. I went to my local MC and there was a case of 3070's and 3090's after the afternoon shipment. Take advantage of the opportunity to check your local retailers. The pressure is off ever so slightly. Good luck comrades.

    submitted by /u/sarcastic_wanderer
    [link] [comments]

    Best GPU to pair with a 3700x?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 08:29 AM PDT

    im currently in the market for a pc and i plan on building it myself soon

    but im not sure what GPU i should get to pair with a R7 3700x

    All recommendations are helpful

    submitted by /u/HenchGeorge
    [link] [comments]

    I built my first PC and don't get any output, tried everything

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 02:30 AM PDT

    for a bit of background, I've never built a computer before, but my mother is a technician and assisted a lot along the way, so I think I dodged a lot of rookie errors.

    after getting everything put together and turning it on, all of the fans and lights work and I'm not getting any beeps from the mobo, but for some reason I can't get any output on my monitor. I've tried every combination of hdmi cable and monitor in my house with no change, and even swapped my old working and compatible gpu in just to see if it was an issue with the port and still no difference.

    my monitor recognises when it's plugged in and tells me that it's connected, but switching over to that channel yields a "no signal", so I can't access the bios or anything even, I haven't been able to install my operating system or drivers due to this, and my mobo doesn't seem to support video output either.

    I have no idea what to do anymore, I've done every related thing I could find on this sub or that my mom and friends have told me with no change (reseating ram and gpu, making sure everything is plugged in and powered properly, trying to boot bios, etc). I'm pretty certain it's not a hardware issue as everything is physically functional and my monitor is getting that hdmi input despite no actual signal.

    my only guess at this point is it being a problem with the drivers, but without any signal I ofc can't update them, so I'm kinda at the end of my rope here. please, if anyone knows how to remedy this, let me know.

    here's my pcpartpicker list of everything I have in there: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6DcLP

    edit: problem solved! I've got signal now, thank you all so much for your help!

    submitted by /u/psypii
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for building a PC for a sailboat

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 11:51 AM PDT

    I have a PC I have already built, but now I would like to fit into the smallest enclosure I can, and hopefully find mitigation for the salt-air, humidity, and constant movement a pc aboard an ocean-crossing sailboat would throw at it. Reason: I am trading the land life for one at sea, and this computer is absolutely amazing and I want to keep the guts but take it aboard with me.

    HERE is the PC I want to take along, in it's current form:

    MY "HOTH" COMPUTER

    As you can see, while the case is beautiful it is also HUGE. No bueno for a sailboat.

    1. Anyone know of the smallest case I could fit this into? Space aboard a boat is a very, very limited resource.
    2. Will the salt air/humidity be a problem? If so, any mitigation techniques you know of?
    3. Will the constant motion be an issue? If so, any mitigation techniques you know of?

    Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Jimsocks499
    [link] [comments]

    Is the 10900k integrated graphics worth it?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 11:49 AM PDT

    So I'm planning on making a build with a 10900k and a 3070 but,yaknow, so would it work if I just stuck with igpu until the market calms down?

    submitted by /u/lostmymainlol
    [link] [comments]

    Which component to upgrade first?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 01:51 PM PDT

    Hello there, I need some advice on which part to upgrade first in my pc.

    I want to play 60fps, 1080p on games like Far Cry 5, Rust and R6S

    I have a pretty low end pc I believe, but I just got a job so I have a bit of income, its not much but its something. So i'm able to save up some money for parts.

    My pc: CPU: Intel I3-4170 3,7 gHz GPU: GTX 1050ti RAM: 2x 4gb ddr3 1600MHz

    I can look up other stuff if you need that.

    I'm looking forward to the responses. :)

    submitted by /u/WeaknessDry7542
    [link] [comments]

    Honest Question: RMA Keep?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Honest-intentioned question. I'm in the process of an Advanced RMA on a 3090 FE (for a non-FE) due to thermals. I've had some success limiting the thermals on the old card to where it doesn't down clock (thermal pads, heat sinks), but I had already submitted the RMA/paid for the advanced card. It arrives in a few days.

    Question: Exactly HOW frowned upon is it to just eat the MSRP advanced RMA cost and keep both?

    In all my years, I've NEVER done that. I am in the market for a second card, though (one is for video editing/gaming, one is for my 4K+ adventures). If I'm theoretically able to pay flat MSRP, that would be ideal.

    Addtl Info: I am a PC builder, but bought a pre-built this go-around for my upgrade. I requested a non-FE advanced RMA due to the known cooling issues. They obliged (supposedly).

    submitted by /u/PhillyDeluxe
    [link] [comments]

    intel i7 3770 compatible with 1587h ?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 07:15 AM PDT

    will a i7 3770 processor go well with 1587h motherboard

    submitted by /u/PrimeKings
    [link] [comments]

    How much would a I7-4810MQ Processor for Laptop cost?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 01:08 PM PDT

    Hello, so I just found an old laptop of mine which I dont use/need so I plan to sell its gpu and cpu. The cpu is in a good shape. So how much do you think it would cost?

    submitted by /u/HassanJuniour
    [link] [comments]

    Build or wait - need advice

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 08:03 AM PDT

    Hello guys.

    Over 5 years ago i built my PC (RX 470 Gaming 4 GB, i5-6400, 8 GB RAM DDR4 etc), i can still play most games but sometimes i feel my pc is old and get some hardware troubles.

    My quesiton: Is it worth to buy new motherboard, i5-10400F etc and using my RX 470 until GPUs get normal prices?

    submitted by /u/DakhorMonk
    [link] [comments]

    Im building a pc and I want to make sure that there are no problems with the parts I want to use in my build

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    anyways the title says most of it I'm building a pc and I want to make sure that there's no small dumb mistake that could mess up the whole build or if there's anything that you would do differently to make the build better

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xbYnBc

    CPU -
    Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor

    CPU Cooler -
    Corsair H100x 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

    Motherboard -
    MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

    Memory -
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

    Storage -
    Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

    Video Card -
    any 3000 series card perferably a 3060 ti or 3080

    Case -
    Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply -
    Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

    any advice is appreciated

    submitted by /u/unicornboi223
    [link] [comments]

    My PC won’t display, VGA and Boot LED are on. DRAM LED turns on when I power on but turns off after a sec.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    B560M Steel Legend 10100F No Storage (I left my SSD in the other PC) 8GB Ram Stick 1660 Super isn't in the PC yet The HDMI I'm using works with my other PC that I was using last night so what's up with this one not giving me a display?

    submitted by /u/Call_Me_Air
    [link] [comments]

    How do you connect a gpu to a laptop without waving the warranty

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    I am getting a laptop soon but due to the butget it wont be able to run anything I want to so I want to connect my rtx 570 to it but I would pefer to do it without waving the warety but in the nost cost affective way possible thank for the advice and sorry. If wrong subredit wasn't sure where to ask this

    submitted by /u/Cluelesslyinformed
    [link] [comments]

    What should I get to upgrade my poor pc?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2021 10:38 AM PDT

    I am think about upgrading either my cpu or gpu. Both of which are not good rn. What will have the most performance impact for an FPS shooter like apex/fortnite.

    submitted by /u/LostWinters
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment