• Breaking News

    Monday, December 28, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 28, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 28, 2020


    Simple Questions - December 28, 2020

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 04:09 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it just me or is building the actual PC more exciting than actually using it?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:08 PM PST

    I built my own PC recently, upgraded from gaming on an old laptop. My performance gains compared to my laptop are through the roof.

    Yet, for some reason, I felt more excited spending time researching parts and putting the build together with my own two hands than being able to run almost everything so smoothly, which was kind of the point of buying a PC. It feels like an addiction- I must build more PCs.

    Anyone else feel the same way?

    edit: thank you all for the shiny awards and merry belated christmas!

    submitted by /u/allen9501
    [link] [comments]

    My pc isn't recognised by my tv? I just built it. But I didn't receive my GPU?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 08:40 AM PST

    I want to use it on integrated graphics.

    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

    Ram: 16Go

    SSD: Crucial 1to m.2

    Motherboard: GIGABYTE b450m Gaming mATX

    Pcie: Wi-Fi card

    I just built my pc. My ram is well plug. RGB fans are running.

    submitted by /u/Doddy_Dope
    [link] [comments]

    Pc on the floor?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:46 PM PST

    I woke up on Christmas to find that my 8 year old shitty work computer had been replaced with a high end gaming pc (and a new monitor!). I want to make sure this computer last so ive been doing research and there seems to be a lot of people saying putting your pc on the floor will have it attract more dust and reduce airflow. I wanted to know if this is true ( btw i have my pc on a wooden floor).

    submitted by /u/GoldFeatureExp
    [link] [comments]

    wow building a pc is way more stressful than i thought it would be but it was worth it !

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:58 AM PST

    i dont know what to say, i was just sweating throught the whole process, and kept thinking "maybe i should leave it until tommorow, but i went through, and when i turned it on and heard those fans it may have been the best moment in my life, but yeah, for people who are going to be doing their first build, just go through with it and i promise you won't be disappointed

    submitted by /u/CheesyMez
    [link] [comments]

    Brand new Ryzen 5 3600 running too hot?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 05:08 AM PST

    Just upgraded my PC with new mobo, ram and cpu. It has the stock cooler which I'm now realizing was a mistake. Idle is 50-60c and gaming is staying steady around 80-85c. I have a hyper 212 on the way but is this normal for stock cooler?

    R5 3600

    MSI Gaming Plus Max B450

    16GB ram

    RX 480

    S340 Elite case (2 intake, 2 outtake)

    1080p 60Hz

    22c room temp

    Games tested: Cyberpunk, GTAV, NFS:Heat

    submitted by /u/SeaGuardiian
    [link] [comments]

    I bought SODIMM instead of DIMM

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 06:57 AM PST

    ....fuck

    submitted by /u/Blockywolf
    [link] [comments]

    Whenever you feel something went wrong...

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Don't worry, it doesn't just happen to you. I had doubts on werther or not I should upload this video, because it had a few flaws in them and I look like a complete amateur. But that's ok, because I am and I loved every minute of this build. Hope it inspires people to not give up, and to build a computer of their own!

    https://youtu.be/pI8br_FCZXU

    submitted by /u/EnterTheVlogosphere
    [link] [comments]

    helo, my mom has an old Toshiba laptop, and i have a more modern desktop pc, is it possible for me to take out the toshiba's hhd and put it in my pc?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:40 AM PST

    PC Build for Girlfriend (cross-posted from r/buildapcforme, not sure which one to use)

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:29 PM PST

    1. >**What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.*\*
    2. * Will be playing games like League, Stardew Valley, Among us, also need enough memory to run some big excel spreadsheets, but nothing too crazy.
    3. >**What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?*\*
    4. * Would like to stay around $800 CAD but i am a little flexible with this budget to fit my requests for rgb lighting and case(under q.17) if need be.
    5. >**When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.*\*
    6. * ASAP
    7. >**What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc\)*\*
    8. * Tower (would like to re-use a RX580 8GB GTS XXX edition graphics card if possible)
    9. >**Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?*\*
    10. * Calgary, AB, Canada
    11. >**If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.*\*
    12. * Will be reusing a BenQ monitor(GL2760-B), a corsair k70 lux rgb keyboard & corsair m65 pro rgb mouse. Also would like to re-use a RX580 8GB GTS XXX edition graphics card if it fits with setup.
    13. >**Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?*\*
    14. * no.
    15. >**Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)*\*
    16. * Maybe just around 1 TB of storage, don't know if she needs an SSD, but let me know if im wrong here and it could help having an SSD instead.
    17. >**Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?*\*
    18. * would like to use this case (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79029) and some rgb lighting would be sweet.
    19. >**Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?*\*
    20. * please include windows in budget.
    21. >**Extra info or particulars:**
    submitted by /u/Seijisav
    [link] [comments]

    Arctic cooling - warning

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Just giving you all a heads up with this company I recently had to deal with.

    I like many others saw the gamers nexus video raving about the arctic liquid freezer II and the low temps he was getting for a great price.

    What he didn't review was how awful this company is to deal with.

    I ordered my AIO off Amazon from their Arctic Amazon store that their website redirects you to on December 1st.

    After about 5 days I contacted them because the item's tracking number only showed a "shipping label created". I simply asked them if this was a shipping error or if the item didnt actually get picked up for delivery.

    No response.

    On the 10th I sent the same message in a second attempt

    No response.

    I sent a 3rd message on the 15th asking for the same thing, very annoyed by now.

    No response.

    Checked the tracking number on the 19th and finally it showed they dropped off the package to the postal office....19 days later.

    Package arrived today.

    Just the AIO in a cardboard box and bag with hardware. No package insulation, the shit was a fucking joke.

    2 of the 3 fans were broken, radiator had dents all over it. There's no way I trust this thing to be installed on my computer.

    Their ticket system is completely unresponsive, they say they will contact you after 48 hours on weekdays and 72 hours on weekends, but they don't follow up with shit.

    I'm returning this package to the sender and I'm charging back my credit card, I'm freaking done with these clowns.

    Just a fair warning with this company, customer service is pretty much non-existent. I'm completely understanding of slow shipping due to the holidays/stroms/virus, but it wasn't slow shipping, it was them taking peoples money then not even bothering to drop the package off to the post office for 19 days.

    If you look at their amazon store you'll find that there are a bunch of reviews deleted by Amazon with the excuse of "shipping was out of sellers control". If I had to guess these people had the same experience, and then the seller got the reviews deleted using the coronavirus thing as an excuse.

    Amazon doesn't care because all they care about is that the shipping process started the day I bought the item, reguardless if all they did was print out a shipping label and then sit on it for 19 days.

    And there's absolutely no excuse to not ship fragile items with proper packaging, when I opened the box it looked like a junkyard shipped a used car part.

    submitted by /u/MTA427
    [link] [comments]

    Very high CPU temp during Time Spy with 360 AIO cooler.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:18 PM PST

    I recently bought an EKWB 360 AIO cooler and installed it into my PC. I used the included thermal pad/paste that was pre-applied on the pump. I ran 3DMark Time Spy and during the CPU test my temp went up to 87 C quickly before dropping. I've read that the i7 10700Ks run a little hot but this seems high. When I ran the Time Spy Extreme (4k) my CPU temp spiked up to 102 C.

    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.


    Some things I'm concerned about but may not be an issue:

    • My AIO radiator fans, on top, are pulling air in. Should those be pushing air out?
    • My AIO pump tubes are coming out of the bottom of the pump. Should the pump be rotated so they exit the side?
    • Should I remove the pre-applied thermal pad and replace it with my Arctic Silver paste?

    My Build Pictures - Powered / Unpowered

    Dragon Center Monitor - Idle

    Time Spy Result Graph

    Time Spy Results


    Build Specs:

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item
    CPU [Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor]
    CPU Cooler [EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB 66.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler]
    Thermal Compound [EK Pre-applied thermal pad]
    Motherboard [MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard]
    Memory [G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory]
    Memory [G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory]
    Storage [Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
    Storage [Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
    Storage [Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive]
    Storage [Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]
    Storage [Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]
    Video Card [Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card]
    Case [Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case]
    Power Supply [Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply]
    submitted by /u/steelystan
    [link] [comments]

    I love building PCs thank you for the new obsession.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 08:51 AM PST

    If I had spent as much time and worked as hard as I did to learn what I have about PCs so I could build and maintenance my own I'd have had a MUCH higher gpa in undergrad.

    I've spent hundreds of hours going from not knowing the parts in a pc to understanding the function of each and being able to part out a full pc to building one myself.

    I am obsessed with this obsession and would rather build than tear down and build again than actually play or work on the thing! I can't get enough of the research, hunting down deals, buying, waiting what feels like forever, than finally the build!

    My only wish is I could build 3 more for friends or family but sadly no one needs/wants one. So guess I'll be looking for a new mobo and cpu so I have a reason to build again!

    Thank you r/buildapc for the new obsession!

    submitted by /u/Jasquirtin
    [link] [comments]

    No post. DRAM and CPU lights are on , rgb lights plus fans are turning. PLEASE HELP ! I'm begging you guys !

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:57 AM PST

    This is my first PC build. All my products are new. I have been trying to build my computer and I keep getting a no post. The RGB lights are on and the all the fans turn but I can't get it to post. the "DRAM" and "CPU" lights are lit red, not blinking or anything. Help would be super appreciated. Here's what I've done so far:

    -Removed the case, installed the CPU, RAM and that's it... no post

    -Switched out the RAMs, tried using one ram at a time, tried different slots... not post

    -Removed the graphics card and used the MOBO ports... no post

    Here's what my parts are :

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WZRxTJ

    Part
    CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
    MOBO ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
    SSD Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    GPU MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
    PSU Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    HDD 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

    It's been 3 days of trouble shooting, I even bought brand new parts completely. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I can email you a photo of my build if it helps you.

    submitted by /u/mikeaholic12
    [link] [comments]

    Your go-to gaming mouse?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 10:57 AM PST

    I got the infamous logitech double click issue and broke my mouse trying to fix it. What's yall preferred mouse these days? Trying to keep it under a 100. Also don't mind a wireless/rechargeable one. My desk set up SUCKS for wires.

    submitted by /u/AnonKing
    [link] [comments]

    Can I build my computer without the dedicated graphics card?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:53 PM PST

    I have the majority of the parts to the computer that I'll build - everything but the gpu - and I was wondering if I could put everything together without it. Since I'm waiting for the market to deflate a little and all

    Will I be able to see anything without the gpu? How intensive can I push my system with the potential integrated graphics? Would I be able to fiddle around with BIOS and download windows 10?

    Sorry if my questions are noobish but hey that's me haha, please feel free to elaborate if you have the time

    Here is the motherboard I got:

    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

    And the whole system:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wBcn2V

    submitted by /u/meeperdoodle
    [link] [comments]

    Returning PC gamer, any advice on this build?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:46 PM PST

    Any help from you long term guys is appreciated, I've done a lot of research and this is what I'm roughly looking at. Everything has been selected for a reason and if anything is left out thats on purpose. Used to be a PC gamer back in the day when it was much more of a hassle than these days, been on consoles since as its just easier when you have limited time (career family)

    But as my series X is basically just a third party machine and I'm a graphics whore at heart I want to build a PC again, been back and forth on it for years and finally made the decision to return. Below is what I've settled on from PC parts picker, ignore the prices I'll be shopping around its just a list for me to settle on. and obviously the GTX 3080 isn't exactly available at the moment, its the founders edition I want (more for how it looks than performance compared to other manufacturers)

    any advice/suggestions with a reason to why so I can learn is massively appreciated.

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dHJQwz)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/qtvqqs/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-38-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000063wof) | £443.40 @ Alza

    **CPU Cooler** | [NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PVfFf7/nzxt-kraken-x53-7311-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx53-01) | £109.02 @ Amazon UK

    **Motherboard** | [Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/GyGnTW/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-atx-am4-motherboard-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero) |-

    **Memory** | [G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/JgLwrH/gskill-trident-z-neo-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gtznc) | £129.09 @ Alza

    **Storage** | [Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Fv8j4D/samsung-970-evo-plus-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v7s2t0bam) | £334.19 @ CCL Computers

    **Video Card** | [NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/RnDkcf/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-10-gb-founders-edition-video-card-9001g1332530000) |-

    **Case** | [NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/rNkj4D/nzxt-h510-elite-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h510e-b1) | £139.98 @ Scan.co.uk

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair HXi 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/6dNp99/corsair-power-supply-cp9020073) | £179.99 @ Amazon UK

    **Keyboard** | [Logitech G915 Lightspeed RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/rdXYcf/logitech-g915-lightspeed-wireless-gaming-keyboard-920-009103) | £252.29 @ Newegg UK

    **Mouse** | [Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Optical Mouse](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t9x2FT/logitech-g502-lightspeed-wireless-optical-mouse-910-005565) | £132.93 @ Newegg UK

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **£1720.89**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-12-28 20:40 GMT+0000 |

    submitted by /u/StavTL
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about case fans.

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 02:02 PM PST

    I recently got a new case for XMAS the Darkflash V22. This case is rather unique in that it tilts the Mobo 90' so that your gpu is tall rather than long. Also the viewing is on the right side instead of the front side. I cannibalized the fans from my old case but am planning on getting some nicer ones than the ones that came with my old case.

    My thermally sensitive components are

    • A .8v 4.9ghz 8700k with a Noctua Dh-15s cooling it.

    • A 1080 ti Rog Strix.

    • VRM seems fine

    The problem illustrated here with my amazing GIMP skills is that my intake fans are fighting the GPU fans.

    My CPU temps are doing great! but my GPU is approaching temp limit in after burner. I'd like to keep in the 70's at the most.

    I'm am going to get a second fan for my noctua cooler and I want to get a fan controller with either 5 120mm fans 3 in the front 2 in the back or two 140 mm fans in the front and two 120mm fans in the back.

    Further if I do the 3 front fans would some tricky where I flip the top fan to create a whirlwind effect like this work. Two 140 set at the bottom could also have a similar effect as it leaves a space at the top open.

    This is what I have thought up so far. So my questions are as follows.

    • What fan should I buy to add to my DH15s to have the second fan? MY GF bought that one for me because it was black.

    • I could use some recommendations on fan controllers or techniques to add more case fans. I could also use recommendations on case fans. I prefer non RGB for this PC.

    • What is better for my situation 3 120mm front fans or 2 140mm fans?

    • Is there any validity to my Whirlwind effect idea?

    ****Edit I have just learned how GPU fans work

    submitted by /u/Cuddle_X_Fish
    [link] [comments]

    Dad gifted me 32GB of RAM for Christmas... in addition to my initial 32GB of RAM.

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 10:31 PM PST

    I've now got 64GB of 3200mhz CL16 RAM. Yep.

    Essentially I'm curious as to how the fuck I could make use of all this RAM now. Like why would anyone ever need this much RAM? What's its purpose?

    For me personally, I do enjoy using my PC for more than just gaming, (creating large images in photoshop, animating in blender, etc.), but I've yet to use more than my original 32GB of RAM, let alone 64GB.

    Again, I'm basically asking if I could ever put all this RAM to use. I don't want to just waste it.

    submitted by /u/jp31917
    [link] [comments]

    How big is the difference between a 3070 and a 3080?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:15 PM PST

    I currently have a 1660ti, looking to upgrade to a 3000 series. I had originally planned on getting a 3080, but due to stock issues, how much of a performance hit are we talking if I were to drop down to a 3070? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GetBoopedSon
    [link] [comments]

    I've got a build idea and would like some feedback for it. If its good/what i could improve etc. [Gaming PC ~1500€]

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:46 PM PST

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    Gaming and sometimes streaming (generally having more then one programm open)

    +some (light) CAD moddeling

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    1080p >60fps, game settings as good as possible for the budget

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    1500€

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    Germany.

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    Mainboard: MSI B550-A PRO

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

    Memory: Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4-3600Kit (2x16GB)

    Case: Corsair Carbide 275R Tempered Glass

    Power Supply: Corsair RM650X (2018) 650W

    Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, SSD

    GPU: MSI Ventus GTX 2070 Super (350€ from a friend)

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    I dont need RGB

    I can upgrade the storage later

    The M.2 is mostly for the Operating System (Windows 10)

    The PC will be sitting beneath my desk

    I've got 2 Screens (1980x1080 & 1280x1024) might upgrade latter

    need at least ~7 USB-Ports (mouse,keyboard,headset,controller etc.)

    submitted by /u/Doomdorn
    [link] [comments]

    GPUs Across Generations & Price Ranges: Comparing Inter & Intra Generational Performance Gains Since 2014

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:10 PM PST

    Hey,

    With the dramatic GPU market of today and the ample claims of "best generational advances ever", I wanted to see in an easy to compare manner whether these claims are exaggerated or not, and if so then to what degree. Further, as the happy owner of a GTX 1080Ti, I was intrigued to see just how much of an improvement today's offerings are, and if they thus make for worthy upgrades or first time purchases for you guys planning new builds.

    To do so, I spent a couple lazy afternoons plotting three charts, comparing GPUs from the following families:

    • Maxwell
    • Pascal
    • Vega
    • Turing
    • RDNA
    • Ampere, and
    • RDNA2

    across five price categories:

    1. $349-$399
    2. $449-$499
    3. $549-$599
    4. $649-$799, and
    5. $1k+

    and spanning three resolutions:

    1. 1080p
    2. 1440p
    3. 4K

    I'd like to share these charts with the community at large to spur discussion and help whomever finds it useful. Here they are, with some details and my conclusions below:

    📷

    Average 1080p Performance: https://imgur.com/11OseY8

    📷

    Average 1440p Performance: https://imgur.com/WCNA7DU

    📷

    Average 4K Performance: https://imgur.com/C2WCsHa

    All performance figures have been taken from Hardware Unboxed's RX 6900XT review, which averages GPU performance across 18 games at these resolutions at High settings. For those GPUs not on this list, TechPowerUp's GPU database has been used to estimate their numbers. I've verified that HBU's and TPU's numbers are within error margin by cross-referencing for those GPUs found on both sources.

    Conclusions:

    1. Turing was bad. Really bad. Almost 2.5 years after Pascal, it offered barely 15% gains at and below $500 while offering nearly nothing above. To cement it's place in GPU history hell, it also introduced the $1000+ MSRP category for non-Titan GPUs
    2. Turing being so bad played a key role in Ampere's narrative, with many heralding Ampere as God-sent and swallowing Jensell's words of Ampere being the best as if it were gospel
    3. This is not to say that Ampere is bad, it's quite good, but certainly not the "greatest generational leap ever"
    4. This chart itself demonstrates the above with Pascal: the gains brought about by GTX 1070 and GTX 1080Ti as compared to Maxwell consistently outpaces their Ampere counterpart's performance figures Vs. Turing
    5. Ampere performs better the lower you go in it's price stack and the higher you go in resolution: the 3060Ti's performance gain over the 2060S is greater than that of the 3070's gain over the 2070S, which is greater than that of the 3080's gain over the 2080S, which is greater the 3090's over the 2080Ti. Similarly, this lead increases the higher the resolution is
    6. While Ampere outperforms it's predecessors better the higher the resolution is, it's only just about good enough for 4K gaming with the 3080 and 3090 just about attaining the 100FPS mark
    7. For a GPU with thrice the raw core/shader count manufactured on half the node (8nm vs 16nm) and still guzzling more power, the 3080 is just not very impressive against the 3.5 year older GTX 1080Ti, failing to be twice as fast on average at any resolution
    8. RDNA1 was a respective gain over Vega, but RDNA2 is really good
    9. Again, RDNA2 is very impressive, matching Nvidia's performance across every price category it competes in, justifying its price tag
    10. The only significant advantage Nvidia possesses over RDNA2 at this stage is DLSS and while AMD has promised it's own implementation of such technology soon, do not buy current hardware based on promises of future feature releases: just ask the Vega owners how they're enjoying their Draw Stream Binning Rasterizers and Rapid Packed Math advantages!
    11. Nvidia relies heavily on DLSS at 4K, especially for newer titles such as Cyberpunk
    12. For 16:9 monitors, 2560x1440 is the ideal resolution today hitting the sweet spot on pricing, size, variety and pixel density
    13. Ultrawide resolutions (21:9), specifically 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 are excellent because of their immersive sizes and intermediate positioning between 10800p and 1440p and 1440p and 4K respectively, providing excellent immersion while not being as demanding as 4K

    Anything I missed? Do share your views below.

    submitted by /u/AbheekG
    [link] [comments]

    Front panel USB type C

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:43 PM PST

    My son got the Asus RoG Strix itx. His case, Lian Li TU150, has a front panel type-c usb, but that mobo doesn't have headers for it.

    There is a second m.2 nvme slot on back of mobo and we'd like to utilize that to add usb-c. I have found one product that would work but I'm not familiar with the company (Di-ARTs technology). Plus it would require some modification to the case due to height of port.

    Are there any other options out there, or anyone have experience with Di-ARTs?

    submitted by /u/ryq_
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to build a PC; new to AMD

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:39 PM PST

    So recently I decided that I was done with trying to beat the bots online and just placed a backorder on the ASUS TUF 3080 OC edition. I have not been provided with an ETA, but by the looks of the stocking in Canada, it may be a few weeks or months. I do not mind the wait at all. However, I have begun looking for parts just to gain an idea of what my build would look like. This would also be my first PC build and I would say that I am pretty new to PC's. I am looking to get some good frames at 1440p. Right now, I am looking at the 5600X because I think, based on my research (correct me if I'm wrong), that it satisfies all the gaming requirements I have while also being able to keep up with the casual computer usage I engage in (watching Twitch, Youtube, Reddit, etc.). I have yet to see any concrete comments on bottlenecking. What do you guys think? Also, what motherboard would be best paired with these Zen 3 cards, and is it worth waiting for the 4000 series? I just want my computer to last. Will the 4000 series chips not be compatible with current gen motherboards? I'm genuinely confused with the whole socket and motherboard conversation going on right now and any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DarkHawk77
    [link] [comments]

    PSU suggestion: 450w vs 550w

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 07:02 AM PST

    Hello, I almost complete my new PC building. The only two components I have yet to buy are PSU and graphics card.

    My setup:

    • R5 3600
    • asrock b450m pro4
    • Crucial Ballistix ddr4 2x8GB 3200mhz
    • Sabrent rocket Q 512GB m.2 NVME
    • WD Blue 2TB HDD
    • Sharkoon V1000
    • Graphic card (didn't buy it yet but probably i will go for the gt-1030 or the rx-550)
    • PSU (didn't buy it yet but probably i will go for the corsair CV)

    Which psu should i buy? corsair cv450 or cv550? i'm not planning to upgrade my pc....maybe only a couple of new fan to affiancate to the other two I already have or maybe an aftermarket cpu cooler if i will need it

    and about the GPU, any suggestion? I'm not a gamer, only office work, web surfing and netflix. Sometimes maybe i will need to use android studio or others IDE

    P.S. I have got less than 150 € to buy psu + gpu from the initial budget

    submitted by /u/glcbattocchio
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment