• Breaking News

    Friday, October 9, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 09, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 09, 2020


    Simple Questions - October 09, 2020

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first gaming PC after being anxious and nervous the entire time and it booted successfully the first attempt! $435 budget build! It actually works!

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 04:46 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/ZSCnfKk

    So I always wanted to build a gaming PC but was always too intimidated. What if I bent the pins on the processor die, or what if I was missing one tiny cable or tint screw in the M.2 SSD or didn't insert my RAM properly and it didn't load up or boot up, or what if I didn't install the motherboard properly and improperly put in the graphics card or dodnt tighten it down firm it enough or broke a pin kn the PCI E x 16 express slot.

    And I was struggling the entire time too, my case fucking SUCKED. Cable management felt impossible and all my cables are a mess and I was overwhelmed by it, I couldn't install the I/O shield into the case. It wouldn't allow me fit both the IO shield and motherboard it couldn't fucking allow me to align the mobo on top of the stand off screw when I/O shield was in the case. I felt it was impossible routing the cables from the power supply, and I was also really overwhelmed with the front panel connectors because there was almost 0 visibility for light and I couldn't see shit. Also, I was concerned sure everything was plugged into the power (because the first time I turned it on, I fucking forgot to connect the PCI E connector from the power supply into the GPU and freaked out and saw nothing).

    And I actually fucking broke something... one of those tiny gold Nippon audio capacitors fucking broke off while I ripped the GPU out of the motherboard/case because I didnt install it into the PCI express slot properly.

    But, I did it and it is built. I spent $435.71 for all the parts not including the monitor, HDMI cable, and the USB drive needed to install windows when booting for the first time. I wrote a little spreadsheet for costs, and here are the parts:

    Parts:

    -MSI A320 Pro AM4 A320 Micro ATX

    -AMD 3200M 3.6ghz 4 core AM4 65W Processor

    -Gigabyte Radeon 570 4GB DDR5 (I bought this for $95 + $10 shipping !!!!)

    -ARESGAME 500W 80 Bronze Rated PSU

    -BronzePatriot Viper 4 Series 3000MHz 8GB DDR4 Silicon Power

    -256GB M.2 PCIe NVME 3x4 SSD

    -DIYPC S2-W-RGB White ATX Mid Tower

    Pics to build with Win 10 on display (ayyy, so my graphics card isnt DOA!)

    I'm still so fucking nervous that theres a billion things wrong with maybe the boot loader in the mobo or my installation on disc of win 10 is bad or maybe my GPU isnt updated with the right drivers, but, nothing broken yet

    submitted by /u/macaroniclub
    [link] [comments]

    I was going to build a $1600 - $2000 PC. Not anymore.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 10:16 PM PDT

    I was all hyped for the 3080, and honestly would've purchased it if they'd had them in stock, I would've bought a R5 3600, a B550 mini ITX motherboard, 32gb of 3600mhz CL16 RAM, and a 750W SF PSU, and built it all in the Lian Li TU150 case which I love the look of.

    But since I've had a month to think about it as I can't get my hands on a 3080, and especially now that the Zen 3 CPUs are overpriced, I'm really looking over my gaming patterns, and I think I'll go with a 3070 + R3 3300x, with a B550 mATX motherboard, and 16gb of 3600mhz cl 16 RAM instead.

    Before you say "your nuts" it makes perfect sense to do so to me.

    Reason being, I have a 1440p ultrawide 144hz display, and I usually play games that are 5+ years old. Which at that resolution, and with games at that age, the 3300x will have no issue with.

    I haven't played any of the following games or their sequels: Crysis, Shadow of War, Hitman absolution, Wolfenstein the new order, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dead Space 2, GTA V, The Witcher 2, any Fallout game, any Elder Scrolls game. You get the idea.

    It'll take me AGES to get through all these, not to mention the games I have on PS3 and PS4.

    By the time I finish those older games, and start getting into newer releases like the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, it'll be 5 years. At that point the CPU/GPU combo will start showing its age. Then, instead of building a new PC entirely, I'll be able to just plop in a used Ryzen 9 5950x, I can pick up at that point for maybe $200, upgrade my GPU, and add another 16gb of RAM. With that, it'll be like I have a brand new PC again I can use for another 5 years.

    So instead of $1600+

    I'll do $1200ish. With a clear plan to upgrade to keep the core of the build for a full decade.

    submitted by /u/electriccars
    [link] [comments]

    I spent 6 hours building my first PC and it failed...I couldn’t be happier (my story)

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    I've always wanted to build my dream PC and last night was my night. Everything went swimmingly EXCEPT installing my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (the spider bracket cost me several mild heart attacks and set me back two beers).

    At 3 in the morning after an agonizing hour of front pin connectors, it was time to plug in and see if it posts. We plug in, we power up, nada. No fans, no post. Green led on motherboard is all I get.

    Hmmm...I wonder as I down another Oktoberfest. Probably a DOA power supply. I go to sleep and get to work this morning.

    Test the power supply (it came with a test kit, it's a good power supply) and lo and behold it's good. I reset my ram, double check my pin connections....still nothing.

    Oh God, I've screwed up something horrible. I'm thinking I shattered the pins of my CPU, I static shocked all my components like I'm lord Raiden even though I shelled out for a Modmat and wrist strap, I didn't do what the verge told me and didn't apply the whole tube of thermal paste with a Swiss Army knife...this is bad.

    I seek outside help. Took it to a local pc repair shop. They test it thoroughly and seemed to be impressed with the quality of the build. Just got the phone call from them a minute ago and confirmed it was a DOA motherboard. Amazon already has another on the way (simple process honestly) and the shop is going to install the new one.

    Long story short, it wasn't my fault! I actually kind of did it! And one day soon I'll have the rig I've always wanted. You guys helped through this whole process. Thank you so much, I meant that.

    submitted by /u/danielthecameron
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 3600 With What Graphics Card?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Hello! Finally after my entire teenage years wanting to build a PC, I now have a job where I can pay all my bills, save, and build a PC! I have a few parts, mostly interchangeable stuff. 16gb ram, 700w PSU, and now I finally received my Ryzen 3600.

    I'm having a hard time figuring out what GPU I want to pair with it. My priorities are gaming (some VR when I get the space for it), and video/photo editing. I wouldn't do super high quality gaming initially, most of the games I'm playing right now are 5+ years old. But I want something that shouldn't have any problems with running games 3-4 years from now.

    My friend was suggesting the Radeon 5700, or the 5600XT if I wanted to go slightly cheaper. I really don't know whether to go with nvidia or Radeon graphics, let alone which card.

    Bonus question: What monitor would you suggest pairing with that GPU?

    Thanks for reading till here! :)

    submitted by /u/hayis4hayden
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 3600 or 3700x

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:29 AM PDT

    Im planning to build my new pc, I mostly use the pc, for virtual machines, 3d sliccing for 3d print and 3d desing with Fusion 360. Also a bit of gaming at 1080p. I don't have idea of what CPU sould I get. The GPU, I'm thinking in get the 1660 or the 2060, with the discounts that are coming nexts weeks/month.

    Currently I have I5 6500 and GTX 1050

    submitted by /u/Ferni95_
    [link] [comments]

    PCIe 4 m.2 SSDs for gaming

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 06:48 AM PDT

    I'm building a new rig primarily for gaming, but I like flexibility to do other things as well. I've been doing a lot of research lately, but I've not yet figured out which drives to buy. I've ordered an Asus x570-e MB, a strix 3080, and I plan to buy the 5900x if I'm lucky.

    I've seen some benchmarks where it seems that load times are fairly similar across pcie3 and pcie4 NVMe drives. But there might be other benefits. I was thinking to buy one very fast 1TB for OS and programs, and another 2TB for games. MB only has 2 m.2 slots, though I guess PCIe mounts are possible to add if I need more later, just gotta have to be sure that the CPU and chipset has capacity for the amount of PCIe lanes.

    I saw a comment the other day about some drives having better controllers, and thus were better than other drives with faster read/write (such as the Samsung 980 pro). So I figured there is more to the picture than just r/w speed.

    Has anyone managed to figure out how RTX IO will work with SSDs? Was perhaps considering getting a bit cheaper SSD for my games, and maybe upgrade it later down the line when PCIe 4 drives are more mature.

    Does anyone know which reviewers are most knowledgeable in the SSD field?

    submitted by /u/Kittelsen
    [link] [comments]

    Currently upgrading, is it worth waiting for the Ryzen 5000 series or should I just buy a 3000 series?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:20 PM PDT

    I'm upgrading some parts since I'm having trouble running some games as well as having multiple programs/windows open for work. I'm planning on upgrading my cpu, board, ram, power supply, and eventually my gpu when 3080's and 3070's become more available (and when I have the funds). I'm looking at the new Ryzen series that was announced and I am not sure if I should wait to buy one of those or stick with the current 3000 series. I've saved around $500 USD to spend on the cpu and I want to get the best one for that money, however any money left over will go towards my other parts. Thanks in advance for any advice!

    submitted by /u/Zedfightsganon
    [link] [comments]

    Ordered pc parts, no way to install windows?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    So I decided to order my part list after putting it off for weeks. After all that I've just realised I didnt order an operating system and I have no money to buy one.

    But even if I did I dont have a computer, just an old android phone. Which made me realise i have no way of putting an os on. What do I even do apart from seeking help for my cavedinheaditis?

    submitted by /u/AbuHajjarInDaSky72
    [link] [comments]

    Best $200-$300 CPU

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    What's the best $200-$300 CPU to pair with an RTX 3080 FE?

    submitted by /u/CDUSNAP
    [link] [comments]

    Adobe Premiere Pro: Ryzen 3700x (8 cores) or 5600x (6 cores)

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I posted on a somewhat related topic yesterday, but I thought this may need its own thread. Basically, I need a new processor for gaming and video editing. I currently have an i7-4790k. I'm deciding between getting a Ryzen 3700x now, or waiting for the 5600x (if I can get one on release). Per Adobe itself (see link below), they say that 8 cores is best for Premiere Pro. I was leaning towards the 3700x for this reason. However, I know that on a per core basis, the 5600x will be faster. Do you think the 3700x's 8 cores would better than the 5600x's 6 cores for Premiere Pro?

    https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/premiere-pro/kb/hardware-recommendations.html#:~:text=8%20cores%20are%20ideal%20for,98%25%20efficiency%20with%208%20cores.

    Also, when it comes to gaming, I want to use 4k resolution, with at least 60fps and "high" to "ultra" settings for most of my games. I'm pretty sure the 5600x will do that. Can the 3700x do that too? FYI, my current video card is a 1080 Ti, and I plan on getting a new card next year.

    submitted by /u/Force_Hammer
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 24" a good size for a 1080p monitor?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    Replaced Motherboard in PC, now Power Button Doesn't Work

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    I had to help my boyfriend replace his motherboard in his prebuilt Lenovo 1060 3gb i5-7400 PC. However, the front panel cords do not reach the connectors on the new motherboard, a microATX Asus B450M-A. I've powered the motherboard with a screwdriver, so I know it isn't faulty, but I'm not sure which cord is responsible for connecting the power button. I don't think the old motherboard has typical power switch connectors like I am used to seeing. I've uploaded images of the old mobo and the only two unconnected cords:

    https://imgur.com/a/kmvd1wu

    Where is the smaller black cord meant to connect? Are there any extension cords we could buy to make them reach? We're not worried about getting the front panel USBs to work but I'd rather not have to buy a new case to get a working power button if we don't have to.

    Edit: Yes there is a new CPU, now I just need to know if I can somehow replace the prebuilt Lenovo power cord with a regular power cord or if I need to buy a new case. 2017 Lenovo Legion Y520T-25IKL, not sure what he needs to do to open up the front panel.

    Edit 2: He finally got everything open and was able to take a look. It seems the power cable is permanently connected to the power button, so we will need to find a new case or just buy a janky power button. Thanks everyone for the help though!

    https://imgur.com/a/PujFkTL

    submitted by /u/WarriorrKat
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good GPU pairing for a i5-10600k OC'd?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 03:08 AM PDT

    I've overclocked my i5-10600k to 5Ghz and pretty comfortable with it. Planning on upgrading from my GTX 1070 to match with my CPU power.

    Was thinking about trying to get my hands on an RTX 3070, is it overkill?

    edit: More info

    I tend to play all sorts of games, Triple-A to Indie pixel style.

    My current monitor is 1080p 144hz, but I'd like to have the option to upgrade that to 2k Ultra-wide high refresh rate at some point also.

    submitted by /u/Elkren
    [link] [comments]

    I need a case. Budget is 100$

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    I want fully mesh front panel. Able to mount 240mm aio to the top. Standoffs align with the msi mag b550 tomahawk. Is good for cable management with full modular psus. Want at least 180mm of space for psu.

    submitted by /u/eatinbootyaaron
    [link] [comments]

    Building a PC for next generation gaming.

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    As both PS5 and Xbox Series X have 8 cores in CPU part of the APU, does it mean that to smoothly run games of next generation, I need at least 8 core CPU? Or will a hexacore be sufficient?

    submitted by /u/securityconcerned
    [link] [comments]

    How do i know what wifi card to choose and which wifi card brands are trust able?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:16 PM PDT

    Title says it all. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Random_person06
    [link] [comments]

    Is the x570 boards worth it for someone who doesn't OC?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    Just wondering if the X570 board is worth it for someone who doesn't OC. Should I go with a better 450 board? Or a 550? Although the 550 boards are so close in price to the x570 I feel it's a waste.

    Theirs alot of variables I know. Currently running a Ryzen 2600 with B450M PRO-VDH MAX

    I'm looking at getting a 3600-3700X, I might go with the new series if the price is right. I'd like to get faster Ram along with the new CPU.

    I have a 3080 on backorder. Im probably doing this a little backwards but I'm giving my parts to my son.

    I'm not in a rush per say and often just find parts I want and wait for warehouse deals or sales.

    Usage is just current generation gaming.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LazyturtleX1
    [link] [comments]

    How much of a problem is a lower wattage PSU than you need?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    For example, if I have a PC that needs 550W but my PSU is 500W, will the PC just not be as powerful, or will it not work at all?

    submitted by /u/camfox643
    [link] [comments]

    WIFI v.s. Ethernet for first build

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Hi All. I'm planning out my first build. I see that most of the recommendations on LogicalIncrements or PCPartPicker don't use WIFI. Should I just assume that people are connecting most with Ethernet and that if I need WIFI, I should get a card or motherboard that does that? My home has been all WIFI for years, so it's a bit weird for me to not see that as the default option.

    submitted by /u/jimbs
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3080's Being Restocked

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    Have they been restocking the 3080's randomly? Because I haven't gotten any notification about them being in stock, but I've read articles that they've been restocking them periodically. Is this true?

    submitted by /u/Spooles_Joint
    [link] [comments]

    1st time building a pc, I want to stream games, I work so I have a good budget, doing research but still a little confused

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    Trying to build a nice streaming/ gaming pc, although I'm very new to this, I'm still doing research but I still need some help, here's what I have in mind, any help is appreciated 😊😊pcpartpicker

    submitted by /u/PoppiSama
    [link] [comments]

    RX 580 or Asus 1050ti OC?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    Hello, i'm thinking of upgrading my editing/storage PC with a new card, i'm pretty fixed on these 2 (unless someone had other recommendations for the price) and i'm unsure which one to go with. I will be gaming occasionally but it'll primarily be used for editing videos and storage. If i can find them for about the same price, what would you pick? Note that i would be getting the asus 1050ti OC specifically because it has higher spec vs other 1050 ti's, but the RX 580 will probably be any brand.

    Thanks for the help, and if you don't mind would you please explain why you would pick what you pick so i gain more insight. Edit: i'm going to look into a 1060 or 1650 super and see if i can get a good price, if not i'll probably go with the 580. Thanks for the help everyone and feel free to keep discussing since i'm sure this'll help me and someone else one day. Thanks again.

    submitted by /u/Icy_Summer_8740
    [link] [comments]

    X570 vs B550

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    What would be better for a 1200$ build more than likely going to pair it with a Ryzen 3700x?

    submitted by /u/KoreiynWave
    [link] [comments]

    PC won't turn on.

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    Hello, so I built this pc some weeks ago, it worked well, until now, when I turn it on, all lights go on, the mobo starts to test, but when it doesn't reach vga, now, this happened one before to me, I disconnected the GPU, pushed all the cables, connected it again and it was running again, so I did that. But, it still doesn't reach vga. I tried running the HDMI into my integrated graphics GPU, same result. Thanks in advice

    Specs: Z390F ROG i9-9900k with a Corsair h150i water cool GTX 970 8x4 corsair vengeace pro RGB 850W Corsair 2018 version PSU NZTX 710i x1 Crucial SSD 200~GB x1 2TB Seagate

    submitted by /u/JustASpanishGuy
    [link] [comments]

    So i tried to change my cpu cooler on a month old build and it was stuck i tried to twist and pull it and it knocked one of the capacitor is my board dead like i am

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 06:41 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment