• Breaking News

    Monday, October 5, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 05, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - October 05, 2020


    Simple Questions - October 05, 2020

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:16 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading to an SSD from a HDD really is worth it!

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 01:53 AM PDT

    For many years I've been a sceptic of SSDs, despite the evidence that they are miles better than a HDD. I didn't believe that upgrading to an SSD could offer much of a performance boost, other than for file transfer speeds. Recently, my laptop has been becoming increasingly sluggish; long boot times, slow program opening and an often unresponsive Windows OS.

    In response to this, I decided it was time to attempt the upgrade to an SSD. After cloning my drive with Macrium and popping the new drive in, I was simply AMAZED by how fast the laptop booted up, logged in and could open programs. From switch on to having Photoshop open, it takes about 30 seconds, when it used to take around 5 minutes.

    TL;DR - Get an SSD. It's worth it.

    Love,

    An SSD Sceptic

    Edit 1: Okay, so the response to this has been much bigger than I previously expected so I thought I'd clarify some things. First, I own a mid-range 'budget' laptop and not a top-end PC because I am a student on a limited budget. Second, 'sceptic' may have been the wrong word as it suggests I was *denying* the obvious fact that SSDs are technically faster. What I meant was, I was unsure what effect an SSD would have with my specific setup. Third, in the UK it's spelt sceptic not skeptic :P. Fourth, for everyone saying "SSDs have been standard for at least 10+ years1!11!!!" No, they haven't. Even in 2012, the price of a 500GB Crucial SSD (a budget drive manufacturer) was over £400. Four. Hundred. Pounds. For half a terabyte. I can guarantee that was not "standard". Fifth, I know I'm late to the party. That is what this post is about.

    Thank you so much to everyone on this thread who has been so kind and welcoming. All the upvotes and awards have been amazing. It's refreshing to see that a good majority of the PC building community are so positive and that it's only a small number who decide to be gatekeeping elitists. At the end of the day, everyone who is behind the technology curve has their reasons to be. Whether it be lack of budget, knowledge, time or space, it usually isn't their fault. So, when they do upgrade, just celebrate the fact they have. Don't judge them for being many years late.

    submitted by /u/DoctorDod
    [link] [comments]

    How to decrease price on this build?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    I was planning to have an $800 budget, but this came out at just a little bit over $1000, any ways you think I could decrease price while still having enough performance to play modern games on high settings? This is also going to be my first build, let me know if you think I should change anything!

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DYgQz7

    submitted by /u/TheOne1ThatGotAway
    [link] [comments]

    First build!!

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    I'm so happy. Finally managed to build my own pc with my own parts all by myself! Holy shit! Feelsgoodman. FeelsSOgoodman.

    Specs:

    Cpu: Core i5 9600k

    MOBO: Asus Prime z390p (shoutout to Linus Tech Tips)

    RAM: Corsair 8gbx2 3600mhz DDR4

    Gpu: EVGA GTX 1660 S OC 6gb ddr6

    Psu: Corsair CX 750m

    Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition

    Cpu fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

    Also, upgraded my keyboard: Redragon K580 VATA(blue switches)

    Its a budget build with room to grow but its a large benchmark upgrade from what I was using previously.

    Again, shoutout to Linus Tech Tips for making this super easy. I couldn't pull it off in 40 minutes like the video but damn if he didn't make this process so much easier.

    submitted by /u/whattheshitmann
    [link] [comments]

    When you build your first PC and get a heart attack until you realise the PSU is off!

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    Well, I built my first PC and spent 10 minutes plugging on every cable twice before this!! ;)

    That feeling though is crazy scary!

    Just thought I'd put it out there 😉

    submitted by /u/Sourish17
    [link] [comments]

    I am finding it really disturbing how few retailers there are.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:39 AM PDT

    When I first started building computers there was Good Guys, Circuit City, Best Buy, Frys and many websites.

    Today it seems like there is only Amazon, and Newegg. Pretty much if neither of them carries it or has it in stock you are S.O.L.

    I guess the fact that everyone does laptops now only makes it worse.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/alexlnichols
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good $650 build?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2Jytt8)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) | $199.99 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kRTzK8/msi-b450m-pro-vdh-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-vdh-max) | $84.99 @ Newegg

    **Memory** | [ADATA XPG Z1 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6JRzK8/adata-xpg-z1-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-ax4u300038g16-drz) | $49.99 @ Amazon

    **Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex) | $42.69 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYMwrH/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-6-gb-ventus-xs-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-ventus-xs-6g-oc) | $209.95 @ B&H

    **Case** | [Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rnGxFT/cooler-master-masterbox-q300l-microatx-mini-tower-case-mcb-q300l-kann-s00) | $44.49 @ Amazon

    **Power Supply** | [Thermaltake Smart 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wbhj4D/thermaltake-smart-500w-80-certified-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0500npcwus-w) | $47.99 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | Total (before mail-in rebates) | $690.09

    | Mail-in rebates | -$10.00

    | **Total** | **$680.09**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-10-05 16:10 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/AriexYoutube
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on my list?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    I'm using it for gaming, streaming, and editing, all at 1440p 240hz.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k9kwrr

    submitted by /u/Stykolodeon
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get 144hz monitor?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    I'm planning to get i5-9400f 1660S and I was also looking for 1080p 144hz monitor and I saw the AOC 24G2U.

    The thing is, I dont know if i would be able to get 144fps on warzone on 1080p medium settings, so should I get 144hz monitor or should I just get a 75hz one?

    submitted by /u/darex69
    [link] [comments]

    240FPS+ Overwatch

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Hello, i play overwatch with 250FPS locked and sometimes in very chaotic teamfights my frames drop bellow 240, I have a 240hz monitor, i5-8600k OC 5.0Ghz all cores, 1080ti, 2x8GB 3600Mhz CL17 and i was wondering what could be the reason behind, i use RTSS overlay to monitor my GPU and CPU (each core) %usage when im playing and i noticed that when i drop frames my CPU usage goes like 85%+ on all the 6 cores but not like 100% on every single one, am i getting CPU bottleneck? if so, why doesnt it reach 100% in every single core before droping my frames? i play low settings, so my GPU never exceeds like 50% usage, and if im getting CPU bottleneck, which upgrade should i look for?

    submitted by /u/ShawnOFF_OW
    [link] [comments]

    Gtx 750ti problem

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    I got a gtx 750ti, when i install it, it is normal, but when i open task manager it shows 0% load, so i've tried to play csgo then my pc crash. I need help

    submitted by /u/AdministrationOne965
    [link] [comments]

    Regular SATA SSD vs NVMe SSD

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    So i'm a bit confused, I'm building a new pc and am looking at hard drives. I see people recommending "regular" sata ssd's over nvme ssd's for various reasons (price, performance etc). But I can get a 1TB Nvme drive for a lower price than a 1TB sata drive. Shouldn't this be an obviously better choice or am i missing something?

    submitted by /u/BuildMuscleMayne
    [link] [comments]

    i found a refurbished rx 5500 xt 8GB OC for $165, should i get it?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    or is it better to get an rx 580 8gb OC for a similar price?

    submitted by /u/asasnow
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding between Intel I5-10400 and AMD Ryzen 3600 build

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I'm looking to upgrade my outdated gaming PC. I'm currently getting anywhere between 30-50 FPS and really looking to improve this. I have two different builds in mind:

    The PC will be primarily used for gaming at 1920x1080 144 Hz. I'm also a heavy multi-tasker having Chrome, Discord and other applications open whilst gaming. I'm really curious to hear what you guys think when looking at the different builds. Would love some advice on how to proceed

    submitted by /u/SK-bundy
    [link] [comments]

    Building my first PC and need help for choosing monitor size, 27" vs 32" for 4k?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:25 AM PDT

    Hello, so it's my first time and, while i'll maybe build in the meanwhile a pc for my dad, i'm having a dilemma on the most important part for my own build: the monitor.

    In the beginnig i was thinking about a 3440x1440 ultrawide 144hz, but i changed my mind and now i decided for a 4k monitor.

    I will use this pc for all kinds of activies/work, but i will also play videogames like the Witcher 3, Rdr2,etc.

    So in this regard i really don't care about having a higher refresh rate, i prefer having a higher resolution.

    So my dilemma now is: 27" or 32"? I'm used to look at my tiny laptop's monitor, will it be too much of a jump going for a 32" for desktop use? What if i try a curved one?

    I really want to go for the 32" on paper. I will usually sits at a 25/30 inch distance.

    Ty for suggestions

    submitted by /u/Siddharta95
    [link] [comments]

    Does the pc community approve of my pc?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    Hey so i built a pc not too long and was wondering if people can tell me if they like it or not.

    Pc: https://imgur.com/gallery/qiFALja

    Specs:

    Ryzen 5 3600

    Corsair vengeance pro rgb ram 16gb

    1660 super ventus xs

    Nzxt h510 elite

    submitted by /u/matecraftypants
    [link] [comments]

    i’m only a casual gamer. would it be worth splurging on a gaming pc?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    i've been really tempted in buying myself a custom pc but always have been holding myself back because i was never sure if i would actually be using it to it's max. however, recently, i was gifted with a monitor (asus vg245h) and i feel a little guilty not being able to really use it.

    i'm just a casual gamer. i play more games than the average person but not so much so that i wake up and immediately get the urge to play. on some days, i don't play any games at all. there are a lot of games that i would like to play but never have a chance to because they're only available on pc (mostly mmorpg.. can't really try them well on mac)

    although i don't think i'll be FULLY using the pc just for gaming as i'm also into video editing, i still don't know if it's still going to be worth it. i've only had the same 128 macbook air my entire life and it's very limiting so in my head, upgrading to a pc would just be really beneficial but maybe i'm expecting too much.

    i asked my cousin who's more knowledgeable when it comes to pcs than me what would be good specs that isn't crazy expensive but still reasonable and good and this is what he suggested:

    • ryzen 5 3600
    • msi b450
    • radeon rx5700
    • x3treme rgb aura 320mhz
    • seagate barracuda 1tb
    • gigabyte nome 256gb 1.3/m.2
    • id-cooling zoomflow 360
    • huntkey 700watts 80+ bronze
    • coolman robin

    we contacted our local pc builder and he totaled everything to around $900, more or less. would splurging on it be worth it? or will i be fine just purchasing those random pcs in the mall? if there's any change you think i should make with the specs, let me know!

    submitted by /u/throwawaybutisit
    [link] [comments]

    Utter confusion - everything except the mobo lights up and appears to run.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 03:25 AM PDT

    So I just transferred over my PC into a new case, updated the CPU and cooling fan at the same time. The CPU is the same chipset as the previous model in the system.

    After finally getting everything to power up there's no picture coming out to the monitors.

    All fans switch on, GPU lights up (fans spin for a half turn and stop), processor cooler lights up, however the red lighting on the mobo doesn't come on. I would assume if there is power coming through to all fans (cooling and front fans) then the issue isn't the PSU.

    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 CPU: i7-9700k LGA1151 GPU: EVGA Geforce 1070 GTX PSU: Corsair 650w

    Just to add I've tried removing all but one RAM slot, tried running the video output straight from the mobo rather than the GPU, still no luck.

    submitted by /u/Scab_the_rogue
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Msi game boost in bios

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 01:24 PM PDT

    I've had this feature on for about three months is that enough time to cause any damage to the processor even a little?

    submitted by /u/Computerboy7245
    [link] [comments]

    i think my pc is fucked.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    i was installing a new Nvme and for some reason the standoff screw came off. afterwards id turn the desktop on but there wouldn't be any display, nor would the gpu fans turn on. and the only fans that would turn on are the one's connected to a fan splitter. GPU/CPu fans arent on either, but when i connected my cpu fans into a splitter it seemed to turn on. And all the RGB lights are on on the motherboard/gpu. but there isn't a red light on the mobo. I've already tried booting without any ram, gpu, same error.

    submitted by /u/SpacePistachio
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an affordable QHD monitor - aoc q27g2u, gigabyte g27qc or wait for samsung odyssey g5 to get in stock?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    Title pretty much. I know IPS is better, but a good one like dell will cost me 75 - 100 euros more and I would like to put that money to a graphics card.

    Aoc is the cheapest for me. I mainly play league of legends and sometimes RPGS and the occasional coop

    submitted by /u/Daudd
    [link] [comments]

    Improve my build ! |NEED HELP|

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    Hi! Those are the builds I made for a friend and he wanted an RTX card. He have a budget of around 900€

    I made two build for him : https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/user/6Maxence/saved/ (Valentin RTX and Valentin v2). What is the best one? How can I improve them?

    Thank's !

    BTW I'm french so my english is kinda bad :/

    submitted by /u/6Maxence
    [link] [comments]

    3070 or 2070 SUPER?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    Idk which I should go for. Whether I should attempt to get a 3070 when it comes out or just go for the easier option of a 2070 SUPER. I also compared them on the website and to me they don't look crazily dissimilar unless I'm being stupid. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/bruhtime9999
    [link] [comments]

    Found an EVGA RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING 6GB at 312€, lowest I've ever seen. Should I buy it or should I wait?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    My First pc build

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.

    I want to start video editing, programming and playing fps such as Warzone, Apex and Fortnite. Along with my Minecraft worlds that have gotten so unmanageable for my mac book that I can barley run 6fps on a good day. I would love to also stream on this pc so it should be able to handle an extensive load of pressure.

    What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?

    $1,100-$1,500

    When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.

    December 31 (its the day before my birthday)

    What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc)

    60hz, 240hz monitor, Windows, Tower, Keyboard, Mouse

    Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?

    Yes, I live in the US and have a micro-center near me. Marietta, Georgia.

    If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.

    Nothing at the moment.

    Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?

    Yes, as soon as I can.

    Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)

    I don't know much but I had a the GTX 1660Ti and my ram (CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO Light Enhancement Kit Model CMWLEKIT2W) in mind but don't know if these parts are going to be good for the long run. Feel free to change those. And the storage can be 500mb. I don't know how or where to check this but I would like there to be an Ethernet cable adapter for my cord since my wifi is slow without it.

    Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?

    Lian-Li Pc-011 DW Dynamic Mid Tower Tempered Glass Computer Case, White and wanted it to look pretty clean, lots of RGB go ham, if we are going for a color pallet white and turquoise. Monitors don't need to follow this they can be black. No liquid cooling. And if you have recommendation for the cable extensions include them as-well.

    Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?

    Yes.

    I would like to run Fortnite, Minecraft and CS:GO at 240fps reliably.

    submitted by /u/AutisticCaptain
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment