• Breaking News

    Friday, September 25, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 25, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 25, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 25, 2020

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Just built my first ever PC and I've got to say

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    I ain't ever doing that shit again, you fuckers lied to saying it would be easy... took me 8 hours

    submitted by /u/smokingisbadforu
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy a rtx 2070 for $300?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 09:37 PM PDT

    128 gb ram considerations...advice needed for first time builder

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    I am a first time builder putting together a workstation/ gaming build. I do pretty heavy cg work, which is why I want to go 128 gb of ram. Having used multiple workstations from 64-128 gb, I know this is not excessive for my needs. But having never built a PC before, I am looking for advice on what to consider when going 128. I have already purchased an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Ryzen 3900, and Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ddr4 4x32 gb 3600 MHz 128 gb ram kit. I don't know too much about ram, and so am asking for advice. I have read a lot online but am more confused than ever. Will I have any trouble with this mobo/chip/ram configuration? Will it run slow? Can I overclock (not a huge deal if not). I have read that in some cases 2 sticks is better, but then I'm limited to 64 gb. My ram kit isn't listed on the qvl for the mobo, but I talked to an asus representative and he said it would work (I think he just looked it up on pcpartpicker though). Is there anything else I should know or take into consideration? Thank you in advance for taking the time to help a new builder out.

    ***Edit*** link to the specific memory kit + quick specs

    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-128gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236613?Item=N82E16820236613

    Quick specs from same link:

    • DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

    •Timing 18-22-22-42

    •CAS Latency 18

    •Voltage 1.35V

    submitted by /u/-Whatjusthappened-
    [link] [comments]

    Got a 2060 for 150€ (~175$)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 05:13 AM PDT

    I just got lucky. The guy bought a new 3080. He is actually in college and used his 2060 only weekends in a non-smoking apartment. Its an MSI 2060 gaming Z, original price range between 340-380€. So happy with it. Totally worth the price! Hope you have a nice day. ps: just wanted to share!

    submitted by /u/forellenfilet
    [link] [comments]

    Waiting for the 3080?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 03:57 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    this is my current PC. I was wondering if you could shine some light on whether or not I will encounter problems when replacing my graphics card to the 3080. Any advice would be appreciated :-)

    Than you in advance

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xg2cWb)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box) | £284.95 @ AWD-IT

    **CPU Cooler** | [Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/QCvqqs/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-v2-645-cfm-cpu-cooler-dp-mch4-gmx-gte-v2bk) | £32.47 @ Scan.co.uk

    **Motherboard** | [MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max) | £104.95 @ AWD-IT

    **Memory** | [Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/z3VD4D/team-t-force-vulcan-z-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-tlzgd416g3200hc16cdc01) | £62.15 @ Amazon UK

    **Storage** | [Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nhKHx/intel-660p-series-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t8x1) | £102.66 @ CCL Computers

    **Video Card** | [MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZgbCmG/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-gaming-x-video-card-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x) | £432.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk

    **Case** | [NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/b7hmP6/nzxt-h510-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h510b-b1) | £59.99 @ Amazon UK

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na) | £79.98 @ CCL Computers

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **£1160.10**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-09-25 11:53 BST+0100 |

    submitted by /u/Aarondevo
    [link] [comments]

    I have a 6 year old gaming PC but my GPU died. I want to play Warzone and Flight Simulator - can I upgrade parts on my current PC or build a new one?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    Hi all.

    I bought a gaming PC quite a few years ago with the help of this sub however I am still a complete novice. My GPU died a couple of years ago and because I mostly game on console I never replaced it, however I'm looking to get back into PC gaming (Mostly WoW, Warzone and Flight Simulator.)

    Are there any cost-effective upgrades I can change to my current set up? Or should I just look at building a new PC? My budget to build would be 1000-1500 AUD however I would obviously prefer if I could spend much less than that upgrading my current PC.

    Current build below:

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor $520.09 @ Amazon Australia
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard -
    Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory $70.37 @ Amazon Australia
    Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.00 @ Centre Com
    Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $76.80 @ Device Deal
    Power Supply Cooler Master 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply -
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $725.26
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-25 18:16 AEST+1000

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Turksa
    [link] [comments]

    him thinking of buying a pc instead of buying a ps5...is 700$-800 enough to get a pc that runs great

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    I mainly play fighting games and 2 or 3 fps games I also want to run ps2 emulators and stuff and I also don't want to purchase a monitor.....

    submitted by /u/luvlyy___flowers
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading 2500k after 8 years, can't decide what to buy for productivity

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    Hi everyone.

    I wanted to upgrade my current build, I'm using an i5 2500k with 8gb of ram and a 1050ti.

    I will keep the gpu since gaming is not my primary concern, I need more power for editing (mostly Lightroom/premiere/AE/Illustrator/PS).

    I know that the new Ryzen cpu's are just around the corner but I've read some comments here and there about instability issues and cpus running hot with Zen 1 & 2. My 2500k has never had any hiccups and I'm planning to build a very small rig with limited thermal performance. I also read something about the adobe suite running better on Intel(I honestly don't know if that's true or not).

    Going for something like an i5 10600 or (if I can justify the extra money) an i7 10700 is already a giant leap forward for me so losing something like 10% in performance compared to AMD but getting a more reliable and cooler system is not a problem.

    Can anyone help me? I hope I did not make anyone angry with my previous statements about AMD >_>

    submitted by /u/RawPow
    [link] [comments]

    Titan RTX question?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 03:15 AM PDT

    Not counting price.. But as a stop gap until I get my hands on the 3090 which could be months. I have found a deal where I can get the Titan RTX for the same price as the RTX 2080 TI (Very cheap don't worry lol)

    Which would you pick? I will be playing a variety of AAA games + Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

    I am also interested in getting into deep learning / AI so thought the rtx titan would be the better option for this as well. How much more performance will I get on the TItan?

    submitted by /u/Sha2am1203
    [link] [comments]

    Should I upgrade my monitor first or get an RTX 3080 first?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    Currently my setup has a gtx 980ti, ryzen 5 3600 and 16gb 3200mhz ram. My current monitor is 1080p 144hz.

    I'm wanting to upgrade my graphics card to the RTX 3080 but im worried I won't see much of a difference without having a much nicer monitor but I can only afford to upgrade just one thing not both.

    If I get a new 1440p 144hz ultrawide monitor I'm worried my system won't be able to do much with the new monitor.

    Which one would you upgrade first?

    submitted by /u/Vocust
    [link] [comments]

    Best airflow cases (2020)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    Hey guys, so I'm making this post in hope to find the one airflow case for me, and hopefully others find cases that fits them.

    I'm new to this pc building and I'm going to build my first pc real soon. I know two good cases airflow cases like the Meshify C and Lancool II Mesh. I don't think the Meshify C is big enough for my build, but I like the dark tempered glass and midtower cases in general.

    I'd love to see what you guys would recommend other than those two cases.

    Here's a link to my build (haven't chosen a case) https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Biggiejuice/saved/XqgqmG

    Edit: I got the cpu cooler for a cheaper price (around 65$ instead of 100$)

    submitted by /u/Biggie_Juice
    [link] [comments]

    Does a m.2 need a power cable

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    My concern with 1440p monitors

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Hello ive been debating over getting a 1080p 280hz 27" monitor or a 1440p 144hz 27" monitor (for gaming)

    My concern with 1440p is will older games that have max resolution of 1920x1080p look bad on a 1440p?

    Also will 1080p videos/movies look bad?

    Any answers are greatly appreciated, also i dont know much about monitors so if you could suggest which to buy that would be great

    submitted by /u/cynical_SL
    [link] [comments]

    Will we be able to get our hands on a 3070?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 10:53 PM PDT

    After seeing how the 3080 and 3090 launch went (with bots, websites crashing, not enough stock, etc), I'm fearful that it'll be the same with the 3070. I'm building my first PC in 10 years and I'm just wondering if I should expect to be disappointed if I'm not able to get my hands on a 3070.

    submitted by /u/Cartejo
    [link] [comments]

    Display going black for seconds and then back on

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 05:42 AM PDT

    https://youtu.be/w0HIjLsYBEM does anyone know why this keeps happening. It started when i switched the hdmi to a display port so i can take advantage of 144hz and it happens very often

    submitted by /u/jubkopu
    [link] [comments]

    Useful things to put in pcie slots other than gpu?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    I see most people buy an atx motherboard but never use any of those slots for anything other than a gpu(s). What are cool things you can put in those extra slots?

    submitted by /u/pbartley47701g
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Building, Advice on Parts? ~$1200

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:52 AM PDT

    I've never built my own PC before but my last computer is reaching the end of it's life, at least when it comes to running modern games with decent graphics and fps, and I would really prefer to just build my own now. I don't know of any problems with my list or anything that could do with optimization but I'd like to keep the price point where it is.

    My current list of parts is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QTkKPn

    submitted by /u/xXfukboiplayzXx
    [link] [comments]

    1st build in a decade - opinions appreciated!

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 02:36 AM PDT

    Hi chaps

    Putting together a PC for the first time since 2010. A lot has changed since then, not only the follicular density on my head by also the density of transistors on any given microchip. Hence, I wanted to ask for some advice/opinions on a £1000/$1250 build which I've pasted below. Happy to make adjustments/increases increase in price if it makes sense from a performance standpoint for not a huge amount more money.

    I want a system that can support any games I play now as well as games in the future, this is very vague, I know - basically looking for something that packs a decent punch and will do for some time.

    Parts I put together after doing some research:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XG9Z4n

    Pre-built system from same website - any opinions on value?

    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-arctic-evo-rtx-intel-core-i7-10700k-comet-lake-16gb-ddr4-8gb-asus-rtx-2070-super-1tb-ssd-win-10

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/Pabj0
    [link] [comments]

    Fractal Meshify C questions for owners

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 05:50 AM PDT

    Hey all! I was seriously considering this case for a future rebuild of my PC, I currently have the Corsair 750D airflow and it's absolutely massive, a bit too much. I was curious before I buy if anyone could help me with a couple questions.

    I'm looking to buy a 3080 (big surprise here recently right?) and Newegg advertises their max GPU length of 315mm with fans installed, which really limits the AIB cards that will fit. Anyone have any experience with fitting a long card in there and is that 315 accurate?

    Also is there a way to fit the PSU, the HDD chassis, and a fan in the bottom? I'll have a couple extra 120 fans and I was wondering if that would be a viable option.

    Finally does anyone have any experience mounting a Corsair H115i on top or a similar 280mm AIO cooler? Is there enough clearance with the mobo? I heard it was an issue on the shorter Fractal Meshify.

    Thanks for any help you can give!

    submitted by /u/SaltyAtWork
    [link] [comments]

    Going From Console To PC

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! So I was planning on switching to PC instead of getting the PS5 or Xbox series X and I could use some advice on what I would need to run a pc at the same level as the next gen consoles. My budget is basically what I was gonna spend on the PS5 so around $600, but if thats a bit of a hassle I can raise my budget, no prob. Any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Kyumi_X2
    [link] [comments]

    Is my 550 watt psu enough

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    I have a Ryzen 5 2600 not over clocked and I'm getting a Rx 5700xt nitro+ card. Is this enough?

    submitted by /u/Roblox_iiBrokenUnity
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody know a good fast hdd on amazon or newegg for $50?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    Is Ryzen 7 3700X good enough for rtx 3080 ?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    1660 Super Still worth it?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 07:32 AM PDT

    Hey all, I've been thinking about picking up the gtx 1660 super. I'm not planning on doing anything with major graphics or ultra settings etc. mostly just to run games. I haven't been keeping up with the market recently and was wondering if there was any better cards around the ~$200 price range. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/reddit_user135926
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading PC and in need of aid

    Posted: 25 Sep 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    looking to upgrade a 4 year old build pc, Pc mainly used for gaming but is also used for Graphic work (adobe products mainly), trying to work around a 500-600$ budget.

    Specs

    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

    RAM: 8 GB DDR3

    motherboard: asustek m5a97 r2.0

    1 tb HDD no SSD

    Anything helps :)

    submitted by /u/SuccaCaca
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment