• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 3, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 03, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 03, 2020


    Simple Questions - September 03, 2020

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Can we take a moment to thank pcpartpicker

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    Take a moment to realize how hard building a pc would be with out pcpp

    submitted by /u/gmaeerer
    [link] [comments]

    I’m old. Help me be a smart mom please.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    Hi friends of Reddit,

    I need help. My son wants to build a pc. Now, normally when it comes to things like school, work, and life, I usually have great advice and give pretty good direction. Right now though, my almost 15-year-old son knows light years more than me about computers and desperately wants to build his own. I'm honestly totally down for it. His love of, and natural abilities related to, technology will lead him to amazing possibilities in the future. The problem for me is that this stuff is pretty expensive, and I have no idea how to guide him or what he is describing when he speaks "computer", and I want to be able to give him good advice or at least make sure he's not getting bamboozled when he makes his first purchases. Where does someone like me start to learn the basics and then the intermediates? I joined this Reddit to start, and it's helping, but is there a place you recommend to get a crash course or a quick reference guide? Please help me navigate this uncharted territory so my kid will think he has a good mom!

    submitted by /u/tjlasagna
    [link] [comments]

    Would a (free) 3d PC Building Simulator be helpful?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    I'm a software developer looking for a useful side project to work on. One idea which popped into my head was an interactive 3D PC hardware simulator. This would be primarily aimed at people new to PC building - a safe space to let them explore the insides of a PC, understand how the parts fit together, let them practice installing parts, and so on.

    I've built several PCs over the years, but I'm not super involved in the community, so I'd like to know what you folks think:

    1. Are there similar existing tools out there?

    It would be silly to start working on a thing only to later find out someone's already made it, but better.

    I know there's PC Building Simulator on Steam already, but (A) it's not free, and (B) it looks like it's primarily a game, rather than an educational tool. I'd be aiming for a 100% free, open source resource.

    2. Would a simulator actually be helpful?

    There's a plethora of video and text resources already. Do you think a simulator could be a useful supplement, or would it not make much difference?

    Edit - a bit more detail: I'm thinking the simulator would let you choose what task to simulate, and then let you walk through (with optional instructions and explanations) the whole process of physically completing it. Unscrewing the case, slotting in the hardware, connecting cables, and every single physical step along the way.

    submitted by /u/stphven
    [link] [comments]

    Yes, the RTX 30XX will work with PCIe 3.0

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    See tons of people asking this lately. From PCIe 4.0 to 3.0, the performance loss is negligible. Stop stressin

    submitted by /u/AndmccReborn
    [link] [comments]

    Whats a good cpu for the 3070?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    My friend gonna be building a pc around black friday and he wants me to put together a part list for him because he doesnt know too much. I told him to pre order the 3070 asap so he can actually get it, and then buy the rest when he plans on doing so. he has a $1500 budget so i was just wondering which cpu would fit best and would have minimal bottleneck. Intel or amd is fine

    submitted by /u/SlimeyIron
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade or replace?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    I currently have a 6700k and gtx 1080. Obviously I'm looking at the RTX 3000 series thinking 'I'd like a piece of that' but I'm aware my cpu is 4 generations behind and the 7700k I can readily upgrade to isn't much better.

    My question would be that if the 3070 is exactly as they make it out to be, do you think it would be stupid to pair it with a 6700k?

    This is one option but the other is to go balls to the wall on a new PC which some of you helped me spec in a post I made earlier today.

    An upgrade is literally about 10 times cheaper. That's the catch.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/--Ferret
    [link] [comments]

    I did it!

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    I build my first pc today, thanks to you guys! I can't say thank you enough for this!

    (Bad cable management since my extensions somehow is too thick so the won't fit where I want them to. I'm ordering new ones ASAP)

    https://ibb.co/hc8rf7h

    submitted by /u/minecraftgamer321
    [link] [comments]

    CPU Fan Error

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    my friend needs help with his build, he's having issues with booting into the usb with the windows installer, he gets this error even though the CPU fan is propery installed and all the Fan Speed Low Limit options in the bios are disabled

    his motherboard is a used ASUS STRIX z270e if any other info is required lmk and ill ask him

    Here is a picture of the error:

    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/730226499604447273/751214614565355651/image0.jpg

    here are his specs:

    I7 7700K

    32 gigs of Corsair vengeance rgb ram 3200 MHz

    Xfx Radeon RX 5700xt

    Evga 650 80+

    submitted by /u/_urn
    [link] [comments]

    Fails to post when DOCP is enabled

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    My problem is as the title say I can't even get to post if I turn on DOCP. As for relevant specs I have an Asus B550i mobo paired with a 3900x and a set of 2x16 3600 Ripjaws V C16 kit from gskill .As such I would like to be able to run my ram at the advertised speed but currently, I can't, Instead I am stuck with a mere 1064 MHz as reported by CPU- Z. This isn't pressing but I would like to get it fixed to get everything I can out of this new PC of mine. Any ideas?

    Note I just updated bios today and have not yet tried DOCP if that fixes the problem I will comment an update

    submitted by /u/TheRealStego
    [link] [comments]

    Should I wait to build a pc if I’m gonna get an rtx 2060?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    With the new launch of the 3000 series from NVIDIA, a lot of my friends have been recommending me to wait until October to purchase my GPU because the prices will go down since some of the 2000 series cards are superseded by the new one.

    But my reasoning is that the prices of NEW 2000 series cards will not go down because the MSRP will remain the same. (I want a new one) Only the prices of the used ones will be cheap. I am not very knowledgeable about this so if someone has an idea i'd love to hear what you know. Also, if you have an answer should I wait?

    submitted by /u/kobob34
    [link] [comments]

    Still about 2 weeks left on the return period for my 5700xt. Should I return and wait for rtx30xx?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 05:42 AM PDT

    I'm happy with it and the new Nvidia cards are surprisingly strong for the (expected) price. Should I wait for say a 3070?

    submitted by /u/su1ac0
    [link] [comments]

    After a year with an UGLY case I changed it. I'm loving it!

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    Airflow is much much better, temps are way lower. The case is a TD 500 Mesh White, by Cooler Master.

    Much better than my old Tempest (spanish only brand if I'm not mistaken) worth $35 that didn't let me do literally any kind of cable management since the PSU was at the top and it had no dedicated space to it. It had back plate, but not the "box" for it.

    Anyway, there are the pics! Let me know what do you think about it, I had two small errors, first one, my cooler is turned 180 degrees, and the RGB is not working. I haven't checked yet if I connected it wrong or if I have to set it up in the motherboard app.

    https://imgur.com/a/i5m4pMk

    Edit: this was my old case. Enjoy the eye burn! https://i.imgur.com/fUQ50LT.png

    submitted by /u/GodGMN
    [link] [comments]

    Question about CPU bottlenecks

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    When people ask if their CPU will bottleneck their GPU, I've seen some responses say to run a game at low res, low settings and that will give you an idea of how many frames your CPU can push.

     

    Does that mean that increasing resolution and settings is almost entirely dependent on the GPU at that point? If I can play something at 1080p low settings 144hz - does that mean I could play it at 1440p high settings 144hz as long as my GPU is strong enough?

     

    Probably overaimplified but I'm just trying to understand the relationship between fps and cpu/gpu.

    submitted by /u/sour_shoes143
    [link] [comments]

    GPU fans started running loud suddenly

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    I have been running my desktop with RTX 2060 ( Inno 3d twin fan ) for two months.

    Yesterday, it suddenly started to run the fans at high speed for no apparent reason. Temperatures are dropping as winters are approaching and I am doing no heavy computation. It even happens when system is on standby.

    I checked the issue in both Win 10 and linux and it happens on both. Also updated BIOS to latest version and the problem persists.

    Updated to latest drivers on Win 10 and the issue persists. Everytime I boot the PC it runs fine for like half an hour and then from nowhere the fans turn on to high speed ( and fluctuates with what seems like from 80 - 100 % of capacity ) to never stop.

    submitted by /u/purezen
    [link] [comments]

    Sparks from a hard drive

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    Has anyone here ever experienced sparks coming out of a hard drive when a pc was powered on? I jave been trying to finish a build for a month and I have had several drives go bad on. I replaced the power supply and had the manufacturer tell me the motherboard was fine already so I am at a bit of a loss. Nothing really on google about drives sparking.

    submitted by /u/ninjababe23
    [link] [comments]

    Gigabyte B450M H motherboard not working on my first PC build

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    So last Monday I finally got all my PC parts. Since I was a child, I'd take apart and build back desktops and laptops, but this was my very first time building a PC from scratch so I was very excited.

    Here is my build:

    GPU: Zotac Gaming GTX 1650 Super.

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600.

    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M H.

    RAM 1: DDR4 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10, 3000MHz.

    RAM 2: DDR4 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 2400MHz. A friend sold me this one for cheap.

    SSD: 240 GB WD Green, SATA III M.2

    PSU: 650W Corsair CX650M (semi modular)

    Case: Aerocool Streak (ATX)

    (I'd written a very long post with very specific details of what I did, but here's a summary instead)

    I assembled everything properly, plugged a working HDMI cable to my GPU's port, but there was no video signal. All I got was spinning CPU, PSU and GPU fans, and power to the USB ports.

    I tested all of my components (except MOBO) on a friend's rig, and they all worked properly. We also tried his PSU (500W EVGA), his CPU (a Ryzen 7 1700) on my board, three different kinds of working RAM sticks in the different slots, clearing CMOS and breadboarding, but nothing worked. In the end, we determined that the MOBO was bad.

    Something else to note was that when I plugged a CMOS speaker, the speaker would beep constantly, without ever stopping; this also happened with the MOBO outside of the case; I tried it on a wooden desk and also on a glass desk, on top of bubble wrap.

    So my question is, was the Motherboard DOA? Is it possible that I or the case bricked it somehow?

    submitted by /u/PKotor
    [link] [comments]

    Will pcie 3.0 on b450 boards limit the new rtx 3000 series

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    I have a ryzen 5 3600 and a aorus b450 board with plans on upgrading to an rtx 3070 or 3080 will being on pcie 3.0 make it not worth it?

    submitted by /u/ShadesMLG
    [link] [comments]

    The Age Old Question....which CPU?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    Looking to upgrade my mobo,CPU, and GPU. Have a 7700k at 4.5ghz on a z270e Strix and 1070 Strix. Torn between the 10850k and 3900x. Planning on getting a 3080 after launch. Would appreciate any advice on on which mobo would pair best with which cpu is recommended.

    submitted by /u/ChunkyTiger95
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help Selecting GPU

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    Originally I was planning on getting the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB Graphics Card; however, with the announcement of the 3000 series I'm not so sure what GPU i should get. I will be using the PC mainly for gaming and some video editing. Games like the new Call of Duty Cold war.

    Here is my build so far

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor

    GPU:

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 RAM 3600

    Storage: WB Blue 1TB M.2 SSD

    Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Gaming Motherboard

    Case: InWin 303 ATX Computer Case

    Power Supply: CORSAIR RM750x 80+ GOLD Power Supply

    submitted by /u/Thelegend322
    [link] [comments]

    Drive Bay uses

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    I recently bought drive bay case box for my pc and turns out it's way moooore useful than anticipated. Now I'm keeping there any pc spare bolts, cables, usb flashdrives, small tools, etc.

    So that got me thinking... what other useful ideas might there be?
    Found this 5 years old reddit topic with 35+ ideas for a drive bay, but most of them are hdd hot swap bays, cool factor stuff with RGB LEDs and such, or bluntly ridiculous ideas.

    But 5 years from now maybe there's a lot newer stuff, too niche to be widely known or easy to find, but that could be tremendously useful (at least to me).

    Something like:

    • An induction charger drive bay. Just put my phone in there, and I can remove one more thing from my desk.
    • A subwoofer drive bay (maybe 2 of them), with volume controls there.
    • A USB hub (plenty of those) but with on/off buttons for each USB port (could not find that).
    • A wall plug to charge stuff. Not sure if possible (heavily limited by the PSU, ofc). But within boundaries, why not. I'm sure 20V output is possible, enough for my work laptop.
    • Any more ideas you may have?

    Any known product for the above, or DIY solution you guys know?

    submitted by /u/p4tx
    [link] [comments]

    Are 4k 144hz monitors wasted on HDMI 2.1?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    So i've recently ordered a 4k 144hz monitor. My understanding was that HDMI 2.1 could output 4k 144hz. But i'm wrong (I think). I recently read HDMI can only output uncompressed 4k 120hz. So does that limit us to 4k 120hz gaming until DisplayPort 2.0 comes out?

    I've read perhaps turning off HDR or enabling DSC to compress signal (which I don't quite understand) will allow you to hit 144hz. Makes me wonder why monitor manufacturers didn't just make them 120hz 🤷

    submitted by /u/bitAndy
    [link] [comments]

    Rate the Build

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    Hi! New to PC gaming, got some parts from various older family members, can you rate my current build and tell me what needs to be improved?

    Ryzen 5 1600, 8gb of ram, gigabyte b450 motherboard, gigabyte GeForce gtx 1030, deep cool gammamax rgb cpu cooler, 500w psu, 240g ssd, 250g hdd, and rosewell case

    Thank you!!!

    submitted by /u/MissShadowFoxx
    [link] [comments]

    MSI x570 Tomahawk finally available

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Newegg just restocked.... $219 free shipping

    If you've been looking for the best x570 of 2020 today you are in luck. Won't last long before sellout and price goes back up to 250+

    https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310?Item=N82E16813144310

    submitted by /u/yBobby_
    [link] [comments]

    With the RTX 3000 Series on the way, would it also be a good idea to buy an NVME SSD?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:31 PM PDT

    Looking to see, with the new technology between the video card and the storage drive, if it would finally be beneficial for gamers to get an NVME SSD

    submitted by /u/honeyshota
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment