• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 16, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 16, 2020

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 16, 2020


    Simple Questions - July 16, 2020

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Henry Cavill building his first PC

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    Newegg delivered wrong item. Should I return?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    I bought a 3700X and they delivered a 3800X instead.

    edit: A lot of questions about "why not just keep it?" As others have said RMA will be a concern if something were to go wrong. Since I have the receipt for the 3700X they won't honor the warranty because I have a 3800X.

    submitted by /u/paoweeFFXIV
    [link] [comments]

    I baked my dead GPU today and now it works. I was EXTREMELY skeptical, and expecting the worst. Just thought I'd share.

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    I bought my buddy's old gaming pc when he upgraded, and have been using it sporadically to play CS:GO, Battlefield 1, etc. It has a GTX 780ti.

    A few months ago it started giving me a blank screen whenever I started up a game, which would require a reboot to fix. After a few reboots I was getting a blank screen on boot. I eventually figured out it was likely a bad GPU so I enabled the onboard graphics and everything worked fine.

    Tried the GPU again, it crashed. I think it showed an Error Code 43 after I rebooted with onboard video. Lots of googling later, I decided my GPU was probably bricked.

    I read the tutorials, read the controversy. Read the comments that said this was a stupid idea that never worked, and the comments that said it restored trash cards to working order.

    So I pulled off the heatsinks, fans, cleaned off the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, set everything aside and preheated my oven to 350F. I made three little pyramids from wadded-up aluminum foil and used them to support the board, making contact with areas that had no visible solder joints or traces. I set the whole thing on a foil-lined baking tin and baked it for 8 minutes.

    Let it cool down, applied fresh thermal paste, put it together. It works perfectly. CS:GO for hours at 120-200 fps without crashing. Battlefied 1. Benchmarks. I'm back in business! This shit works yo. At least it can work. It worked for me. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Beer_Is_So_Awesome
    [link] [comments]

    My build is done

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:30 AM PDT

    After 8 months of constant change and questions its finally finished. My original build started with a 3600 b450 tomahawk and a 1660 super. Its now fished with a 3700x x570 tuf and a 2070super Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and and helped get this guy done

    Setup

    close up

    submitted by /u/MrSpamZ777
    [link] [comments]

    First Build Complete. Simple and Clean

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Pc Part Picker List

    Complete Build

    Well after being out of the PC world for 15 years, the pandemic awakened my interest again. My dad gave me his old i7 3770k rig from 2013 and I was super impressed at how well it still worked. Seemed very fast to me. But then I found this sub Reddit and felt an overwhelming desire to build my own. I had a good friend give me a Gpu and a power supply. After lots of research and helpful tips from you all, it is done! Took about 2 hours. The case was super easy to build in. I am still tweaking cable management and need some black extensions for cpu and gpu but I am very happy overall.

    Idle temps 29-31C Full load 58-60C

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Sammcloud43
    [link] [comments]

    I’m 17 and switching from console to PC. Is this a good “budget” build? And would a 27” 144hz monitor work with it?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    Rice got into gpu

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    A month ago my gpu was sitting on the floor and i dropped a bowl of rice on accident. The bowl cracked into pieces so rice spilled everywhere including my gpu. Am i able to open up the gpu to make sure there isnt any residue inside?

    submitted by /u/MMagicala
    [link] [comments]

    I'm building my first custom PC, can I get some help with some fine tuning?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    I'm someone who at the moment is trying to break into Twitch streaming/gaming, but the hardware that I'm using (an Inspiron that I bought 4~5 years ago) is starting to die on me.

    When streaming the system is primarily going to use Clip Studio Paint, but I wanted enough headroom and graphical power so that if I wanted to switch to a game like Monster Hunter, then my CPU/GPU won't crap out. Gaming at 1080p is fine enough, I don't really need to go crazy into 1440p and up. My budget is around ~$1k, I don't really mind going a few hundred over, but I'd really prefer to save as much money as possible. I'm also buying all my parts in the USA.

    --The Build-- (Prices listed are the lowest that I have access to)

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (MicroCenter: $160)

    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition* (Newegg: $40)

    MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-TUF mATX (Newegg: $170)

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x8gb) DDDR4-3000** (Newegg: $75)

    Storage: Western Digital Blue 500gb M.2 2280 NVME*** (Amazon/Newegg: $65)

    GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5660XT GDDR6 (Doesn't Really Matter Where: $300)

    Case: Antec NX400**** ($73 with shipping) PSU: Phanteks AMP Series 550W 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular (Newegg: $90)

    [Total Price: $933 (without tax)]

    Peripherals*****: Keyboard: Razer Cyanosa Chroma/Razer Ornata Chroma

    Mouse: RedDragon M602 Wired Mouse

    (Footnotes)

    *The Cooler is something that I consider a bit more optional than the rest of the parts. I don't plan on doing any crazy overclocking or anything, so this part can be bought after the system of itself is built. I was debating between this cooler and the Arctic ESports 34 Duo, but as of writing this, every color neutral option is out of stock on Amazon.

    **I've been debating what to do in terms of RAM and RAM speed. I want RGB RAM, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro. If speeds of 3200/3600 would help out my system more, I had in mind the Team T-Force Delta RGB RAM, which is cheaper/same price depending on the speed. In time I'd want to fill up the second pair of RAM Slots, more for aesthetic than anything, and Corsair's dummy sticks could help out in the future if the extra 16gb isn't worth.

    ***My storage is also something that will be upgraded later on down the line. After checking the amount of space that I use on my laptop at the moment, I should be able to function with storage room to spare before having to expand. But higher capacity is definitely on the list for further upgrades.

    ****Case has been something else that I've been going back and forth on. Fortunately, I have a MicroCenter relatively close by, and they offer the Lian-Li 205 ATX case for a similar price. And for value, the Lian-Li case that MicroCenter offers comes with two 120mm Case fans pre-installed, which means that buying extra fans wouldn't be an immediate priority.

    *****Peripherals are another aspect in this total build that I'm not adding to the price due to the lack of immediate neccessity. I have a basic HP Keyboard that still works alongside a wireless VicTsing mouse that works just fine. As for a monitor, I have an old 60 Hz Samsung Syncmaster to upgrade, but for the moment, I'm fine with making do with what I have and upgrading later on.

    submitted by /u/trunks40
    [link] [comments]

    1080p 144hz or 1440p 60z for WoW Shadowlands

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Title says it, I'm in the process of building a new PC so I can give my daughter my current build. This will basically be built just to play the new WoW expansion (Shadowlands). I'm curious which monitor would give me a more enjoyable experience. Seems everything I read is either about FPS or eSports games and WoW doesn't fall into either of those categories.

    I'm going with a Ryzen 5 3600 for the CPU, I've read that one of the 1660 GPU variants would be more than enough to run WoW on either of these monitors, would that be true or would I need to consider a higher up card? I currently have a 1060 and don't feel like upgrading from a 1060 to a 1660 would be a big enough of an upgrade to justify the $250+?

    submitted by /u/LBradford0007
    [link] [comments]

    Virgin build��

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    This will be my first ever pc, the only thing is. I don't know what to get...

    submitted by /u/PlubbyBubby
    [link] [comments]

    Which one is better for 2k 60fps gaming? RX 590, 1660 or 1660 ti?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:24 PM PDT

    The title says it all

    submitted by /u/Muradiant
    [link] [comments]

    Do old junk pcs actually sell on craigslist / fb marketplace?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:01 PM PDT

    I keep seeing ads for complete garbage systems with 7+ year old parts.

    This recent one was like: FX-8100 8 core blazing fast AMD processor. GTX 560 TI for great fps in all your games. 8gb ram 1tb HDD.

    This is for sale for $500. I check regularly and these ads seems to go up and down for pcs of various quality so I assume someone is buying them. At $500 you could buy a lowerend prebuilt with twice the performance.

    submitted by /u/caravellex
    [link] [comments]

    Henry Cavill builds a PC

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    Why is the Ryzen 3 3300XT better than the Fx-8350?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I wanted to see how much life I can squeeze out of my computer with the Fx-8350, so I wanted to compare my CPU with a modern one. The Fx-8350 has 8 cores and higher clock speed, so why is the Ryzen CPU ranked higher in UserBench than the 8350?

    submitted by /u/Nytse
    [link] [comments]

    First time builder ready to buy. Would like someone to check compatibility for me please.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Hello there! I'm a first time builder and I think I have an alright setup picked out. I would just like someone to check over my parts and make sure that I picked things that are all compatible. I intend to use it for gaming mostly (along with homework) and I did a bunch of research. Thank you for reading and your opinions!

    CPU: Intel i5-10400

    GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

    Motherboard: ASUS Prime B460-plus lga 1200 SATA 6gb/s ATX

    RAM: G. SKILL ripjaws V series 16 gb 288-pin DDR4 3200

    PSU: Corsair 750W 80 plus gold

    SSD: Samsung 860 QVO

    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

    Thanks again!

    submitted by /u/Natashamarie234
    [link] [comments]

    Never built a pc before, need someone to just double check the build

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:51 PM PDT

    Hey guys I've never built a pc before and I've played on laptops this whole time so its time to get the PC. Am I missing anything here? I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.. Do i need any other cables or something?

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xvmBK4)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box) | $406.99 @ Amazon Canada

    **CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/vTTPxr/corsair-h115i-rgb-platinum-970-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060038-ww) | $244.99 @ Amazon Canada

    **Motherboard** | [Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/R6VG3C/gigabyte-b550-gaming-x-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-gaming-x) | $189.99 @ Newegg Canada

    **Memory** | [G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6jBTwP/gskill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c18d-16gtzrx) | $116.99 @ Newegg Canada

    **Storage** | [Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JLdxFT/samsung-970-evo-10tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e1t0baw) | $270.89 @ Amazon Canada

    **Video Card** | [Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Turbo EVO Video Card](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/w8drxr/asus-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-turbo-evo-video-card-turbo-rtx2070s-8g-evo) | $710.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop

    **Case** | [Deepcool MATREXX 70 ADD-RGB 3F ATX Mid Tower Case](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/JDDJ7P/deepcool-matrexx-70-atx-mid-tower-case-matrexx-70-add-rgb-3f) | $149.99 @ Canada Computers

    **Power Supply** | [Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/v6gzK8/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpy-7501-afaag-us) | $149.99 @ Newegg Canada

    **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wtgPxr/microsoft-os-kw900140) | $139.75 @ shopRBC

    **Monitor** | [Acer UM.WV6AA.B01 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/prx9TW/acer-monitor-umwv6aab01) | $98.87 @ Amazon Canada

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$2479.44**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2020-07-16 16:48 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/PresstoNA
    [link] [comments]

    I built a Red Ranger themed PC

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    PC Part Picker

    Album

    I will eventually replace the cables with red braided ones and get an AIO for it. Good start though.

    submitted by /u/AtheosSpartan
    [link] [comments]

    Help picking a new 144hz monitor

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:45 PM PDT

    So Not too long ago my monitor died on me and now i'm looking to get a new one. I don't know if I should just get the old one I had BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 or if I should shoot for a different one. I'm currently looking at MSI Optix MAG241C 24 and AOC C24G1 24 I've never used a curved monitor so I don't know if I'd like it or if it would be annoying or if I would even notice anything. I have $200 but I can go a little over if needed. Thanks for the help and suggestions

    submitted by /u/IlQIl
    [link] [comments]

    Need motherboard recommendation with these features

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    I need a micro ATX mobo for an 8th gen i7 8700 cpu with possibilities for upgrading to something better, like a 9900k, in the future.

    Must haves:

    • Micro ATX form factor
    • 8 SATA ports minimum
    • PCI-E x16 slot
    • m.2 slot
    • 4 DIMM slots
    • memory must be DDR4 since that is what I have on hand
    • S/PDIF port (or header)

    Any brand will do, as long as it's not generic. It doesn't need to have OC'ing capabilities, but that would be a plus in case I wanted to mess with that in the future.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/Cronokkio
    [link] [comments]

    I feel bad for being annoyed. Should I be?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    So about 8 months ago I became obsessed with computers and starting saving to build my own (I am 12 and I knew on £5 It was going to be awhile until i could afford it. Fast forward 7 and a half months I suggest to my friend (who is quite wealthy) whether he wanted a pc, he ultimately said yes and I was very happy. However the next morning I discovered he had already ordered the cpu, motherboard and ram. I was very happy for him but I was still annoyed that for 7 months I'd wanted to build a pc and just because he had more money he could get it right away. A week later and his parents rewarded him for working hard over lockdown by paying for the REST of the components (£300 worth) so now I am still happy for him but yet so annoyed that in 2 weeks he's got a full pc and I've hardly got enough for the motherboard and cpu.

    submitted by /u/bizzarehotshot
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard Upgrade Help

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    Hi, I recently built a PC and didn't knew much about motherboards I've got some Gigabyte's Z390 I guess, idk exactly but it's Intel 9th gen Mobo. I experience FPS drop in games. Does Motherboard affect my Fps? I play on 240fps Fortnite. Someone told me its your motherboard which is causing FPS drop. Because its a Micro-ATX motherboard. I dont have enough space in my case for bigger motherboard. I'm new to PC and stuff someone told me buy these parts I just bought them.

    Specs: i9-9900K Liquid Cooler 2080 Super 32GB

    submitted by /u/S_zYTs
    [link] [comments]

    I am going to be building my first budget PC

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    My uncle recommended me a build, and it is around $800-900, and I looked on some websites too, but he recommended asking here too, his build suggestion will be at this post: https://www.reddit.com/user/BMW_850_CSI/comments/hshwyh/my_uncles_pc_suggestion/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    submitted by /u/BMW_850_CSI
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys Im looking for A 100 gpu what would you recommend

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    I have a cousin in canada who has a rare skin disease and his parents cant afford to spend money on a pc and I was thinking to get him a decent pc (keep in mind Im 13) I have a couple parts on the way just need a gpu under 100 or maybe 150 . thanks Also would need arecommendation on a good case for a budget.

    Specs currently Ryzen 5 2600x b450 tomahawk t force 2x8 3200 sn750 500gb and a powersupply also he only plays roblox.

    submitted by /u/Sexyboi0724
    [link] [comments]

    Now seems like a terrible time to be building.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    I've been rocking my 1k pc from 2014 for the last 6 years with a 4670k, GTX 760, 8gbs of ram, you know the build.

    I recently decided I wanted to upgrade as my performance is getting kinda fucked - can't even play Apex on low settings at a consistent 60. I made an unfortunate discovery though - this is a shit time to be building.

    Obviously COVID has increased prices and created shortages, but the main issue is the looming releases of MANY new items to the market. Ryzen 4000 series, GTX 3000 series, Pixio's insane budget gaming monitors. Combine this with the inevitable rebound of computer prices, I'd say now, even though the market for parts has seen massive improvements over the last 2 years, is not a good time to be building if you can hold off 6 months.

    Does anyone agree or disagree? Why? This is simply my perspective and I'd like to see that of others as well.

    submitted by /u/cool-game
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment