• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 8, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 08, 2019

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - December 08, 2019


    Simple Questions - December 08, 2019

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 04:10 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What to consider when leaving the PC for 6 months

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:34 AM PST

    Hell everyone. This might be a strange question but I will be studying abroad for 6 months. My desktop will not be going with me so I was wondering if I have to consider anything beforehand?

    I got a NZXT Aio watercooled system. Should I ask someone to turn it on from time to time so no sediments or anything can build up? Or can I just leave the PC how it is. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Felixhs
    [link] [comments]

    Help Understanding Ram.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:00 PM PST

    Bought the Best Buy AMD prebuilt on black friday as a starting point for PC gaming, and I wanted a solid platform to start upgrading. Ryzen 3600, Rx580, EVGA PSU, 8gb ram, 2tb hdd, 250gb ssd. A couple of buddies said that RAM is becoming increasingly cheaper and a good place for an upgrade would be going to 16gb instead of the 8gb I have now. I browse /r/builadapcsales and see good deals(?) but have no idea what speeds, timing, bdie, etc mean. Any recommendations for what I should keep my eye out for?

    submitted by /u/Mr_Zenki
    [link] [comments]

    I7 9700k or Ryzen 3700x

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:20 PM PST

    I want to build a pc and im just curious which one of these cpu's should i go for with an rtx 2070 super?

    submitted by /u/botitorto
    [link] [comments]

    Consider undervolting if your 5700 XT is too hot/loud for your liking

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 10:55 PM PST

    So I bought 5700 XT Raw II the other day, I found that this thing runs way too hot and loud for my liking. So I decided to lower the frequency and power and adjusted fan curve to never hit 50% RPM unless the thing was approaching 100c.

    I might have lost 5% to 7% performance, but the temperature and audible comfort increased dramatically, and this is something I'm okay with.

    I'm sure I can fine tune a bit more, but my 5700XT Raw II is 1850mhz/930mV, with rpm under 1900, with avg temp 76c with 86 junction in games or furmark or whatever have you.

    I have Thermal Grizzly to test in the future, but I think I'm okay as it is currently.

    submitted by /u/RickyFromVegas
    [link] [comments]

    I just need some tips :)

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:56 PM PST

    Build Help/Ready:

    ( I want to mention I'm fresh here and I've red the rules)

    I want to build my first pc. A gaming pc that can give me more than 60 fps the more the better).

    I've already made this build, but it's slightly walking out of mu budget, which is 1150$.

    I also want to mention I'm from Poland (haha very funny XD) and I'll be buying the parts from local retailers or Amazon

    And here's what I've created: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DJkt7T

    I want to know what can I change to make this setup cheaper/better and is it a good one? (sorry, I have no idea how to format the parts list)

    Thanks :D

    submitted by /u/Driserq
    [link] [comments]

    Is $1500 enough to get a pc that can run vr?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 10:09 AM PST

    Built my new PC, think it turned out ok

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:13 PM PST

    I finished building my new pc after taking all day to install, cable manage, etc, and I'm pretty proud of how everything turned out. Here is the complete build. I may add RGB or some more flashy RAM sticks down the line but for now I'm happy with it and just wanted to share it here, and say thank you to everyone here that answered my dumb questions about building the pc, you were all very helpful.

    submitted by /u/ToxicTheEagle
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded MoBo, CPU and now GPU won't Boost

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:02 PM PST

    Hello,

    I just upgraded my CPU 6700K to 9900KF and my MoBo AsRock Extreme 6 z170 to Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master. I reinstalled my MSI Gaming Trio RTX 2080 which had been working fine on my other set up.

    Running BIOS F9 on the MoBo and newest NVIDIA Drivers for GPU. Overclocking through MSI Afterburner(as I had previously been doing) and find my GPU is no longer boosting up to the 2020mhz Core Clock that I had had before. I allowed the OC Scanner to set a curve as well and it also will not boost. GPU shows 98% usage in RDR2, but stays at 45C temps. All hardware scanners I use show the GPU core clock at a max of 1560.

    Reinstall went well, I have the GPU seated in the second from top PCI-e slot, and the correct power cables plugged in. Everything boots fine and no artifacts in game. I pass all stress tests without issue as well, but again I see no boost performance when doing so.

    Can anyone recommend some troubleshooting tips? I've pulled and looked over the card and cannot see any kind of physical damage, reinstalled it in the same PCI-e slot and have the same problem.

    Edit: So I decided to mess around with the GPU and laid my case on its side and reinstalled the GPU. Everything works fine now. There is an INSANE amount of wiggle on the GPU and I believe the GPU is sagging enough to not make a proper connection. Does this seem out of place for the Aorus Master? The top 2 PCI-e slots have the same amount of play. My Z170 didn't have nearly as much play in the GPU.

    submitted by /u/Luikenfin
    [link] [comments]

    Spilled Water on my PC, no Display now

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:57 PM PST

    Hi reddit I spilt water on my PC earlier , it was more on the back of the PC, around the cords. Anyways i didn't notice until my monitor went to a black screen with the cursor. I panicked and unplugged the power and took apart my PC. I dried everything off really good and then tried turning back on the PC (I know bad idea. Didn't know not to do that till later). The good News is (I think)

    •The graphics cards spins and lights up •The motherboard lights are on and seems fine •CPU fan works and turns on

    Only thing is I don't get any display. I just moved and don't have any friends With PC's around and My Ryzen 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics. What do y'all think the problem is? Any advice is greatly appreciated, just wasted $370 on a new motherboard and CPU about 2 weeks ago so this really hurts

    submitted by /u/4degreeswarmer
    [link] [comments]

    I'm thinking about making a sleeper out of a Tatung Einstein. Do you think it's worth it?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:56 PM PST

    Long story short I have a 35 year old tatung einstein that is totally busted, like burn marks on the motherboard busted and it's sat in my room gathering dust. I'm thinking about getting a second hand workstation form cash converters or something like that and canabalising it into the case (with a few case mods of cause) I have an old HP monitor that is a simular size. Instead of it being a gaming rig or anything I could just use it as work station for school and the like. Do you think it's worth it and if you do would you like to see something like a live stream of me doing it or something.

    This is what a Tatung Einstein looks like for anyone out of the loop.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatung_Einstein#/media/File%3ATatung-einstein-computer.png

    submitted by /u/AMadHatter-mp4
    [link] [comments]

    What type of ram is best for Ryzen 5 3600x

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:06 PM PST

    I've heard that Ryzen 3rd gen sweet spot is 3600mhz but the g.skill Trident z ram has the 3600mhz c18 and 3200mhz c16.

    Which one would be best for the ryzen 3600x the higher mhz or the lower latency?

    submitted by /u/McCoolade
    [link] [comments]

    Prebuilts VS Building a PC

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:04 PM PST

    I was talking to someone and they are saying prebuilts are getting better components at greater deals and I think theyre bulls***ing. TLDR: Is it better and cheaper to build a pc buying parts, or to buy a prebuilt.

    submitted by /u/miluuuuuuu
    [link] [comments]

    what do you guys think of my first build?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 11:29 AM PST

    Helping a friend

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 11:27 AM PST

    My friend has been interested in building a computer to replace his laptop, and he wants to base it around mine. Mine is pretty outdated though, so what parts could he replace that would get more bang for his buck?

    submitted by /u/jeepercreepers9
    [link] [comments]

    1080p 144hz or 1440p 144hz for 5700 xt?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 01:00 PM PST

    Title basically says it all. Purchased an MSI MAG27CQ 1440p Monitor on Black Friday for my future 5700 xt build. Now I'm starting to question whether or not I should've got a 1080p 144hz monitor instead.

    Please note, I've played at 1080p @ 60fps for the entirety of PC Gaming time so anything above that is already an improvement for me. I also mainly want to play RDR2 @ 60fps but with the good graphics.

    submitted by /u/PenonX
    [link] [comments]

    2x Evga 1080 TI sc2 Hybrids vs 1x 2080 Ti

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:56 PM PST

    Roght now I'm running 2 evga 1080 TI sc2 Hybrids in sli. Have been thinking of selling them and getting a 2080 ti.

    Do you think the cost difference is worth the performance gain?

    CPU 9700k @5ghz 32gb of 3866 trident z Nvme Samsung evo drives 1440 @165hz monitor

    submitted by /u/Thereisone
    [link] [comments]

    Outdated power supply

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:52 PM PST

    Hey , Recently I have bought a RX 580 that needs 1x6pin pci-e and a 8 pin pci-e My power supply does not have any pci express connectors but I do have 3 unused Molex connectors , the gpu page says it needs 230W and in afraid that if I buy 2 adaptors one with 1 molex to 6pin and one with 2 molex to 8 pin the gpu won't have enough power. Should I try buy a new power source or it will work fine with the power that the 3 molex connectors will provide ?

    submitted by /u/Barzoiul
    [link] [comments]

    Blue screen issues on friends pc

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 10:03 AM PST

    Blue Screen Issues on friends comp He bought a prebuilt two years ago, started blue screening randomly every few hours to every few minutes. He swapped all the parts except(and ram) for the drives a few weeks ago. Still doing it.

    Just swapped all the drives for an m.2 ssd with a fresh install of windows today. Has done it once so looks like it's not stopped.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Tian-FPX
    [link] [comments]

    Architecture/render PC build with $1000 budget

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 11:15 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I'm trying to build a PC for architecture related work. Some of the programs I use are AutoCAD, Revit, Lumion, Sketchup, Vray, Blender, Photoshop and Lightroom. This computer is mostly set aside for learning and practicing with these programs. This is build I have set up so far and was wondering if this is a good choice of parts.

    One question I had was about CPU choice, and is AMD or Intel better for these applications. I read that Nvidia GPU's are preferred for GPU Rendering programs. I already have the monitor, keyboard, mouse and windows 10 key so I don't need to include them in the cost. Also I'm not far from a Microcenter for sourcing parts. Thank you in Advance!

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $189.99 @ Newegg
    Motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $84.98 @ SuperBiiz
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.97 @ Amazon
    Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card $303.98 @ Newegg
    Case Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case $62.96 @ Newegg
    Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ Best Buy
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $936.86
    Mail-in rebates -$20.00
    Total $916.86
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-08 02:21 EST-0500
    submitted by /u/Denim_briefs
    [link] [comments]

    Christmas Build ~1000 budget

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:38 PM PST

    Buying my brother a new pc. Please let me know what you all think.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/89WRK4

    submitted by /u/chuchu97
    [link] [comments]

    Need help figuring out which piece of hardware is going bad.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 11:02 AM PST

    I have a dual boot with windows 10 and linux (mint). 90% of my time is spent on linux including gaming. The issue started while playing rocket league. It would randomly freeze and require me to restart my computer. The only solution was to turn down my graphics settings but it was still happening, just at a lower rate (once every 5 games or so)

    I assumed it was something with linux so I decided to try windows only to have the same exact problem. Which is odd. Something else I noticed is that after closing rocket league regularly, my computer starts bugging out. Mouse randomly freezing, random temporary black screen, everything taking forever to open, etc. Very similar things happen with Modern Warefare.

    Also over the past view weeks I have experienced some strange graphical bugs. For instance, one time while playing rocket league, a bunch of UI elements were spazzing out. Titles would be random colors, player tags would be ginormous, etc. And then today, my desktop environment goes completely black when trying to remove a widget. The only things that don't go black are any windows I have open.

    My best guess is its the gpu but I just wanted to check. I will be able to test an old graphics card when I go home for winter beak. The gpu I have now is around 4 months old. My specs are:

    Ryzen 5 2600x

    RTX 2070 super

    Samsung evo 1gb ssd.

    Kingston hyperx fury 8gb x2

    Gigabyte GA-AB350-gaming 3

    Corsair RM750x, 750 Watt Power supply

    submitted by /u/NudeJr
    [link] [comments]

    Building an AutoCAD PC (Need Advice)

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 12:23 PM PST

    Hey guys,
    So my friend has come to me looking for a custom PC. What parts should I get for his computer? He will be doing mostly 3D rendering next year for his engineering classes and some gaming. I have built several gaming machines in the past, but are there some things I should be aware of with AutoCAD's software? I am mainly curious about which CPU and GPU to use. Here the specs I'm looking at. Feel free if you have any suggestions for the overall specs.
    Thanks!

    CPU: Intel or AMD
    Mobo: ATX
    GPU: Nvidia or AMD
    RAM: 24-32GB
    PSU: 600 Watts
    SSD: 512GB
    HDD: 2x 3TB (Raid 1)
    Budget: $1500

    submitted by /u/jackajm
    [link] [comments]

    New SSD not showing, need help!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 02:25 PM PST

    Motherboard: ASUS Strix B250F Gaming, Socket-1151

    SSD : Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

    So I had a friend help me out buying a new secondary ssd for my computer. This is the third hour of trail and error so I'm really hoping for some good 'ol reddit wisdom. The ssd mentioned above is installed in socket M.2_1 (socket 3) but will not show up at all. I have tried memory diagnostic, computer management, physically re-installed the damn ssd 3 times. Nothing works.

    Anyone have the slightest clue to what seems to be the *** **** ************* problem?

    My sanity is on the line

    submitted by /u/Xtoronic
    [link] [comments]

    Quick judgement needed - Is this a good thermal paste application for 2080 Ti?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2019 02:04 PM PST

    Hey guys. Second time I am installing a custom cooler onto a graphics card.I got the EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra, and the Aqua Computer kryographics NEXT RTX 2080 Ti cooler.
    I also bought the Kryonaut thermal paste.

    The manual of the waterblock lists manual thin spreading for the thermal paste with a small spatula, so I tried it. Photo below. Just need a quick reponse. Is it good, or shall I scrub the paste again and do it differently, like the X method or whatever?

    Paste application

    submitted by /u/Wolfsblvt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment