• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 5, 2019

    Build a PC: Is a SSD really as necessary as people make it out to be?

    Build a PC: Is a SSD really as necessary as people make it out to be?


    Is a SSD really as necessary as people make it out to be?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2019 09:11 PM PST

    My first PC Build: the good, the bad, and what i’d do different.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 08:58 AM PST

    What I use my computer for: - Applied Mathematics (simulation, computation) - Computer Science (Coding) - Engineering (SolidWorks) - Photography/Design (Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator) - Light Gaming (Borderlands 3, Halo)

    CPU: AMD RYZEN 3700x

    Mobo: ASUS X570-f

    GPU: ASUS ROG 2070S

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32Gb 3200Mhz

    SSD-1: Samsung Evo Plus 500Gb M.2 NVME

    SSD-2: Samsung Evo 1Tb SATA

    PSU: Corsair 750x

    Cooler: Corsair H115i

    Case: Phantecks 350x

    Fans: 3x Corsair ML120mm Pro

    MISC: Corsair Commander Pro/RGB Fan hub

    Monitor: ASUS 1440p 144hz IPS

    The Good: - 3700x (the box cooler is really solid) - ASUS Hardware (it just works well) - Having multiple SSDs (better organization) - Everything Corsair (I can talk about why I like them all day) - NVIDIA software (Game-ready and Studio Driver options)

    The Bad: - ASUS software (it's bad, but can be avoided by using 3rd party software and BIOS) - Phantecks 350x (does not support H115i although it's advertised to fit 280mm rad)

    What I'd do differently: - Different Case - H100i (better compatibility and placement options) - Maybe get a third 1TB SSD (in RAID 1 with SSD-2 or separate photo library)

    submitted by /u/jet1899
    [link] [comments]

    Already built my pc, regret it, please help.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:19 PM PST

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zKhqD2

    This is the build I put together myself while not knowing anything about building a pc and not really researching enough. I have an issue where most games I play run way below what I would want them to be. Examples:

    Halo Reach - 45 fps
    Borderlands 1, 2, TPS, & 3 - 25-30 fps
    The Witcher 3 - 30 fps

    Would there be a single part I can replace that would "fix" this build or would I have to change out a large amount? Any help is truly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/AkA_Cryomance
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen5 3600 or I5 9600K ?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 03:37 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I'm going to build a new gaming pc with a gtx1080 as GPU.

    Considering that I will be able to play at ultra 1080p or high/ultra 1440p at best (according how demanding each game will be). Is it better a R53600 or a I5 9600K?

    submitted by /u/DismalMode7
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help building a new pc

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:10 PM PST

    So I bought an older pc from a friend for about 100 dollars a year or so ago, mainly just for some light work but mainly games. However it doesn't run games too well as it's a few years old.

    So now I've decided that I want to build a new computer, but I need help balancing performance with price. But I also have no real idea on how to build a pc at all.

    So I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me. I would be good with a computer that can at least run newer games at medium quality and run some various programs.

    submitted by /u/Knownaslemon
    [link] [comments]

    Will two GPUs fit on this motherboard?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:39 PM PST

    I'm building a PC for both 1440 gaming and my video/photography work. I need to run a Mac VM for work, and I read that a second graphics card would help the virtual machine run smoother by using passthrough from the second graphics card.

    I was planning to get the following and I could use help figuring out if everything will fit together:

    I also need thunderbolt for work, which is why I went with the Designare motherboard. I could bump up to an EATX board if it helps the GPUs fit, but then I'd need to get PCIe 4x thunderbolt card, which might defeat the purpose.

    I'm putting it all in a Cooler Master H500M, so case size and cooling shouldn't be an issue. The case has a USB 3.1 front panel, so having a header for that is also a must.

    • If I put the 2070 Super in the top 16x slot will it cover the second 16x slot since it says it uses 2.75 slots?
    • And even if it doesn't block the second slot, could I still put the 580 in the bottom 16x slot to help with cooling the 2070 super so they're not right on top of each other? Or would I run out of room at the bottom of the board/case? (Technically the bottom 16x slot would run a 4x, but the bottleneck might be 2% at most, so I'm not worried about that.)
    submitted by /u/GrimalkinReaper
    [link] [comments]

    $1700 budget gaming/streaming PC 144hz

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:13 PM PST

    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/seanthomasiscool1/saved/#view=8mFcqs

    Is there anything wrong with this build? Anything you would change? (And why?)

    Went with Intel over AMD cpu for gaming performance as streaming can be handled by the GPU pretty well, correct?

    The PSU I don't know about but that's on sale for cheap considering the watts?

    Case I'm not sure on either.

    All peripherals and windows are covered already.

    Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/libzy
    [link] [comments]

    How often do you upgrade your PC?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 04:28 AM PST

    Is there any mayor difference between motherboards?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 10:06 AM PST

    Is there any mayor difference between motherboards other than like Memory speed, Chipset and CPU socket?

    And if there is, what motherboard would you recommend with the chipset Z390?

    submitted by /u/JuicY22521
    [link] [comments]

    Have windows CD but no CD drive?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:48 PM PST

    And I'm needing to replace my HDD to a SDD. How can I do this without a CD drive? Also my HDD is corrupted so I can't do anything from it.

    submitted by /u/___Mantup___
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Ryzen 5 2600x

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:41 PM PST

    https://gyazo.com/502f21818673b409168b2b8fe95f373d I put it in and this happened and I can't get it out easily

    submitted by /u/mmalishuk
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming PC: Intel vs AMD? Can't decide on a CPU for upgrade.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:31 PM PST

    I'm currently in the process of creating a parts list for a major PC upgrade. I have a few things in mind but I hit an essential roadbump: I can't decide on a CPU. Even worse, I can't even decide which brand I'd like to go for, so I'm basically stuck at the first step and looking for advice.

    My current build has a seven year old i5 3570k that just refuses to quit and survived two GPU's and a mainboard. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading is that it's starting to struggle, particularly with the kind of games I like to play - games like 4X (e.g. Stellaris) or simulations / citybuilders (e.g. Cities: Skylines, Anno 1800). I can still play those games, but larger maps or more AI creates a lot of slowdown, which I'd like to adress.

    Back when I bought this CPU I got this advice: If you want bang for your buck buy AMD, if you want highest performance buy Intel. But right now I read and hear people say that AMD is pretty good on performance as well.

    With Intel, I'm looking at something between an i7-8700k @ 399 Euros and i9-9900k @ 499 Euros. The latter one might be overkill right now (or is it?), but if it holds as long as my current one it'll be worth it... besides, I do occasional video editing or rendering, where it should do well.

    With AMD I have no clue what compares to this, since I know too little about AMD. On a glance though, clock speeds seem lower but number of cores higher. However, particularly older games (which I like to play too) or games that aren't optimised for many cores won't profit from this.

    For the Mainboard, I'd like to stick to ASUS. My last few mainboards were from them and they have always performed well and were OC friendly. Obviously I can only choose one once I know which CPU I get, but I have a good idea about my choices there.

    My GPU is a 1080 GTX which will live in the new PC. It's on a seperate upgrade cycle so I don't have to pay for everything at once. ;)

    RAM I'll go for 32 GB. Cities: Skylines demands it. With the option to maybe upgrade to 64 GB in the future. Timings etc will obviously be decided after I choose the mainboard.

    And maybe I can finally get one or two of those M.2 drives as well. They didn't exist when I built my last PC so I lack slots for those. This is very bottom of the list though.

    Finally, I'm in Germany, but prices are secondary to advice here. Also, I'm aiming in the ballpark of 1000-1200 Euros.

    TLDR: Which CPU do you recommend for CPU heavy games and why? Are the two Intel CPU's I'm eyeing good choices? Or did I miss a hidden gem somewhere? Or should I go AMD?

    Thanks in advance for any answers!

    submitted by /u/NightlinerSGS
    [link] [comments]

    Newly build PC with AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, Voltages jump up and down from 0.9 to 1.4 while idle

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 01:18 PM PST

    Hello guys,

    I just finished building my pc today, all went well but a few things.
    First off, my cpu fans spins super loud on start up, then goes back to stopping. And after this the actual start up process (gigabyte screen) show on my monitor, this is also when my keyboards rgb start working etc.
    So that is the first thing i couldn't find out why it happens.

    But the 2nd thing i did was installing HWMonitor and check for temperatures.
    Here i noticed my cpu temp being pretty high on idle (50ish °C), but the weird thing is that the voltage keep jumping low and high. I have no clue why, i have been searching around, but i can't find the actual reason.

    Here is video of my HWMonitor screen showing the situation:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13b9S4p6sUHIitBG5Ikl2h9X_65g4W57M

    Here is my full build

    Mobo: Gigabyte x570 gaming x
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800x
    GPU: MSI 8GB D6 RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC
    RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200
    PSU: Corsair RM750X
    SSD: SSD 1TB 2.5/3.4G 970 EVO PCIe M.2 SAM 1 144,90 144,90 A NVMe
    Case: Corsair Carbide 275Q

    My bios version is on F3 btw.

    If anyone has any advice. Would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/Gillemans
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading advice?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:38 PM PST

    I have a Ryzen 5 1600 build with 32GB 2666Mhz RAM and a GTX 1660ti.

    I have given it a lot of thought and would like to upgrade my GPU.

    Thoughts on upgrading?

    Would like to know how well an RTX 2080 would perform with this Processor.

    Suggestions on different cards would be great as well!

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/YeeMeister971
    [link] [comments]

    PC Died

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 07:34 AM PST

    Update: just got off the phone with the guy looking into it, it was the psu that shorted. Gonna check Amazon and Newegg for replacement. Thank you everyone for ur responses!

    Read the rules and I hope this isn't against them.

    2 days ago I cleaned out my pc and afterwards it ran fine. Yesterday I left for an appointment and when I came back it was off except for the mobo lights and the little light in front of the case indicating the pc is on. When I press the power button, the fan and gpu lights would turn on for a split second then off again except for the ones stated above.

    My question is what could this mean? I've already dropped it off yesterday to get looked at and waiting for a call but I'm just anxious and curious.

    This is my first build from 2016. My hunch is I may have connected something to the psu incorrectly.

    submitted by /u/WildR0v3R
    [link] [comments]

    Just built my friend a pc, it crashes at random and games freeze after a minute or so

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:28 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    First off wanna say how much you all helped me getting to know the magnificent world that is pc building. Appreciate it a lot :).

    I've built my friend a pc with the following specs:

    • AMD Ryzen 3600 w/ stock cooling
    • ASRock Taichi x570
    • 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz (had problems with memory training)
    • MSI GTX 1660 TI Gaming X (which was mine for about 5 months, had no problems with it)
    • Corsair RMx 550 Watt
    • NZXT H510 elite
    • Samsing 970 EVO 500 gb(1 year old)
    • Kingston a2000 500gb

    Building it went relatively smooth, only had problems with memory training (applying XMP profile). Resetting the memory fixed this. Windows 10 memory diagnostic returned no errors.

    After installing all his software he went on to stress test the pc. CPU temps are hitting around 95C on prime95, small FFTs, after a minute. Applying windows balanced power plan and undervolting did not change this. Any suggestions about fixing that?

    He's trying to play Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. After about a minute the game starts to play in slow motion with looping audio, same thing occurs with LoL. The GPU is used for around 40-60% staying around 60C, CPU stays around 70C being used for 20-30%. He is however able to successfully run heaven benchmark without any issues.

    Another weird thing is that is motherboard always stays exactly 60C, faulty temp sensor?

    We used HWInfo to measure temps and windows task manager to measure usage percentages. Any ideas or suggestions about how to fix the issues?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Ice-E-cold
    [link] [comments]

    Need help deciding ram for Ryzen 3600 - Patriot Viper, Corsair LPX or Crucial Ballistix

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 02:12 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    Need help deciding which of the 3 ram I should buy? (Order from cheapest to highest)

    CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3000MHz 16-20-20-38 (CMK16GX4M2D3000C16) - £49

    Patriot Viper 4 16GB 3200MHz 16-16-16-36 (PV416G320C6K) - £54

    Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 3200MHz (BLS2K8G4D32AESBK) - £65

    All are 2x8gb stick and set up is Ryzen 3600 with B450 Tomahawk MAX. Really unsure about which would be best, also can't really stretch budget outside this. Leaning towards the viper 4 but any feedback or alternatives greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/themafia_97
    [link] [comments]

    Cable mod compatibility question

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 12:12 PM PST

    I bought some cable extensions on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/184023852018

    I thought that cable extensions are universal but then I just noticed these are for "G2/G3/P2/T2" so will it work with my evga 600b?

    submitted by /u/railgun117
    [link] [comments]

    In SSDs, is QLC only slower to write to once the cache's full, or does it have an effect on read speed as well?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 09:55 AM PST

    My PC doesn’t have a slot for an NVME SSD. Is there an adapter of some sort I could use to get similar performance? I already have a normal SSD.

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 05:14 AM PST

    Anyone else constantly worry about their thermal paste application?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 11:58 AM PST

    I've applied thermal paste to CPUs countless times between my own builds, builds for friends and family, and reapplications after time and yet I still constantly worry about it. Once the cooler block is on the CPU, it takes me forever to stop wondering if I mucked it up and the application is all wrong. I don't have any indicators of that and my temps are always fine, but I always worry.

    Every time I take the cooler off to reapply, my coverage is exactly what it should be and I've literally never had a problem, but I still worry ever time.

    submitted by /u/AndAndDevin
    [link] [comments]

    good 2500$ build?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 11:31 AM PST

    title explains it

    PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q9RCdm

    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($494.99 @ SuperBiiz)

    CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($136.99 @ Amazon)

    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($181.99 @ SuperBiiz)

    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)

    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Walmart)

    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)

    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Best Buy)

    Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.98 @ Newegg)

    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)

    Monitor: Asus MG28UQ 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor ($343.99 @ Amazon)

    Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)

    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse ($24.99 @ Best Buy)

    Headphones: Corsair VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset ($59.99 @ Best Buy)

    Total: $2501.85

    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-05 14:28 EST-0500

    submitted by /u/HUTCH6464
    [link] [comments]

    Is it dumb to not use an nvme drive?

    Posted: 05 Dec 2019 07:43 AM PST

    Just about to start my first build. I had a lot of confusion about what would be disabled, etc. if I used an m.2 slot on my motherboard. That's cleared up, but now reading reviews that nvme drives get hot and I might need to add a heatsink, etc. Also, I'll possibly need to remove my tower cooler to get to it later if there are problems. I'm just feeling meh about them. Thoughts on nvme?

    submitted by /u/Ferrum-Regit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment