• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 14, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 14, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 14, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 14, 2021

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Help! The BF wants to buy an Alienware instead of accepting my offer to build one - Advice, please!

    Posted: 13 Sep 2021 09:28 PM PDT

    Alright, so I am not the most seasoned of builders but I have built 6 high-end gaming PCs for myself, family, and friends. I know my shit and can put together a damn clean build.

    My BF wants to buy the high end Alienware PC because "it has everything I want and Its Alienware so its going to be great. Plus, Toms Hardware and PC Mag says its the best."

    My heart stopped.

    If he is willing to spend 5K on an overpriced logo, imagine what I can build with the same!

    I have shown him the breakdown in cost of parts and just how much extra he is spending on a logo. That doesn't seem to do it.

    Any advice or link to ways I can help show him that Alienware is not worth the money? I really want to steer him away from a pre-built, but my opinion alone isn't doing it.

    Who knows, maybe he doesn't want to admit that a chick can build a better pc than him or have a badass pc and have to tell people that his GF built it. Ego drives a lot of his choices.

    Anyhow, thanks for any advice/links!!!

    **Edit - if he insists on a pre-built, fine, but please not Alienware.

    **Edit 2:

    • Yall freaking rock! I knew I loved this community for a reason :) This is an amazing conversation, thank you!
    • Four main takeaways thus far: Let him make the mistake - Don't fix it - Offer to build WITH him - If I do build it, everything wrong is now my fault (fair and valid point)
    • His motive for a pre-built is to just have it done and insured. He doesn't want to do it and would rather pay to just have it already done. My counter to this is that I can insure all parts through MicroCenter and if I cant fix it, it can be handled locally.
    • Not that yall are questioning it... Before we met, I was teaching Scratch with WeDo, 3D printing, and mentoring a FIRST Tech Challenge team. The makerspace I worked at closed because the owners moved out of state and took the brand name with them and restructured to help schools/businesses build up their makerspaces. While I am new-ish to PC building, building things is not new to me. He knows me mostly as the chess coach who has some hobbies.
    submitted by /u/DontPanic42H2G2
    [link] [comments]

    Vacuumgate: The Update

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 11:05 AM PDT

    A number of people in the thread I posted yesterday asked for an update on the situation. I have been very busy with work and only just got around to attempting the q flash of BIOS...

    And it worked!

    Big thank you to everyone who helped with questions/suggestions in the thread yesterday. /r/buildapc is consistently one of the most encouraging and resourceful communities on reddit and yesterday was no different.

    When upgrading in the past, I've always replaced the mobo along with the cpu. This is the first time I've stuck with the same socket/board. Something else that played into my suspicion of static was that I lost a board to static shock ~10 years ago.

    I will say I was surprised by the amount of, shall we say, conjecture in the responses about my relationship. It was interesting to see many people assume I got mad at my wife. Maybe many of those folks themselves would have been mad? I'm not trying to turn this into some kind of parable, but she was clearly trying to do something she thought was helpful.

    In fact, I didn't even tell her I thought the vacuum did something when my first (and erroneous) troubleshooting failed. She knows how much I love that PC and she would have felt so terrible if I let her think she was responsible for its demise. Nothing constructive could have come from revealing that, better to just ask her not to vacuum it again.

    Anyways, it's all mooted by the fact that I'm an idiot who didn't think of the BIOS and just panicked when his rig didn't POST.

    Lesson 1) Don't jump to conclusions;
    Lesson 2) Treat the people around you thoughtfully and with respect;
    Lesson 3) When asking for tech support it seems like a marital anecdote will really deliver community engagement.

    Thanks again and have a nice week everyone.

    submitted by /u/adoxographyadlibitum
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be looking for a 1440p monitor or a 144hrz?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 09:38 AM PDT

    I've got a RX 5700xt and a Ryzen 5 2600 and 16 GB of ram if that matters. I only have a 1080p 60hrz monitor and i wanna upgrade, should I go for a 1440 monitor or a 1080p 144 hrz, I've never seen either in action. yes, I'm looking to game. specific recommendations are welcome.

    submitted by /u/vaderman645
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any motherboard that support ryzen 5 5600x straight out of box? (No need for BIOS update)

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 10:47 AM PDT

    My ram is loose af.

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 09:10 AM PDT

    When i hit my table ever so slightly, not even angry, my pc just hard restarts. Ram is seatet properly, what can i do? (Asus tuf gaming b550m plus, corsair dominator platinum rgb) The first one to comment dont hit your desk will die.

    submitted by /u/datoneboiwithanari
    [link] [comments]

    Worth it to buy?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    I recently found an Zotac RTX 2060 AMP on sale for $579, is it worth? Considering the current state of the GPU market and I'm currently running a GTX 1050 Mobile on my ASUS Laptop

    submitted by /u/tinycoock
    [link] [comments]

    Should I replace my Ryzen 3 2300x for a newer CPU for 1080p gaming?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 01:12 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I am currently building a computer for a friend of mine and I've been going around the second hand market for deals and I was able to get a prebuilt Cyberpowerpc for very cheap to use as the base of the PC. It came with a Ryzen 3 2300x (4c4t) and I was able to get a 5500 XT 8 gb for a good price to put into the rig. I am targeting medium settings at 60+ fps. I've noticed weird performance on some games but I'm not sure if they are just CPU intensive like BF V because on others the games run at a solid 60 fps at medium settings (RDR2). Here are the rest of the specs:

    CPU: Ryzen 3 2300x

    Mobo: ASRock A320m HDV R4.0

    RAM: Oloy (2x8gb) 3000 MHz (No XMP Profile)

    GPU: ASRock Challenger RX 5500 XT 8gb

    SSD: WD easystore 240gb

    HDD: 1 TB WD Blue 7200 rpm

    PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Bronze

    One thing to note is that the system came horribly packaged and some parts of the PC were a bit broken like the case and the hard drive bay. I believe that the motherboard was also affected by this since I've noticed weird audio issues (drivers were installed correctly) and weird performance issues (I disabled Cool N Quiet which did help performance but not by much). I ended up buying a MSI B450M Pro M2 Max to see if maybe the CPU isn't the problem but rather the mobo.

    So my question is should I try to sell the current motherboard and CPU to get a better CPU or is the Ryzen 3 2300x good enough for what I want it to do?

    submitted by /u/FlameMach
    [link] [comments]

    RAM Underclocking - what am I missing?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 10:58 AM PDT

    While I love what AMD is doing in the CPU markets, I can't help but be overly frustrated by how hard it is to find the right RAM. I'm considering rebuilding from the mobo up (mobo, CPU, RAM, cooler) just to start fresh and get what I pay for.

     

    My issue now is that I had bought and returned a set of RAM because I couldn't get it above 2133mhz and was recommended the "AMD approved" DIMM set I have now. I bought 3200mhz knowing the CPU only supports up to 2933mhz but still confident I could OC from factory to stable at or beyond that point. This RAM is now sitting at 2400mhz according to the BIOS and won't budge.

     

    I've volted up to the factory "supported" 1.35v and as far as 1.4v. Not stable and reverts back to 1.2v at 2400mhz. I've tried both XMP profiles too. The first is at 2933mhz with the factory timings and the other at 3200mhz and neither boot stably.

     

    What am I missing? I've seen on the B450 page here that it only supports 2 DIMMS of the memory I have (listed below). I'm not PC genius but that doesn't make sense to me.

     

    • AMD 2700x
    • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
    • 2x (4 total) Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16)

     

    TLDR - based on my specs above - can I get this memory to at least 2933 (ideally 3200) or am I stuck at 2400?

    submitted by /u/jrandall57
    [link] [comments]

    Help - Updated BIOS and nothing showing after reboot

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm desperately hoping someone can help me here. I have a Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master motherboard in my just recently built custom PC with a Ryzen 5950x. I used the Gigabyte App Center @BIOS app to update my BIOS, but when the system restarted after the process completed, now the display is blank. I'm too scared to try to power on/off the system because I don't want to further damage anything. I'm pretty new to all of this stuff and I thought updating the BIOS was the smart thing to do, now I just want to get the machine working again. I did do some sort of BIOS Backup before starting, which I saved in a new folder on my desktop. I also see there is a USB 3.0 port on the back of the motherboard labeled BIOS. I've Googled a bunch of things but pretty much everything I found is several years old and I don't really understand it, either. Can anyone please tell me what to do here? I would be forever grateful!

    submitted by /u/el_paubl0
    [link] [comments]

    Is this too Overpowered for a 4K / Gaming rig?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 10:50 AM PDT

    Could I get some eyes on this new build I put together for a friend?

    The main use would be heavy 4K video editing, VFX and GFX design, Protools, along with gaming that could be possibly streamed. My friend doesn't seem to care too much about gaming graphics quality. I would think a less powerful graphics card would be acceptable but luckily we were able to get a 3080 and it's become hard to find anything 3070-esque that doesn't cost more than what we already paid for the 3080. I just hope I'm not overpowering or bottle-necking it too much.

    Any thoughts on the build is appreciated! Thank you.

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $267.99 @ Newegg
    Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard $194.99 @ Amazon
    Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $159.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $159.97 @ Amazon
    Storage Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $201.39 @ Amazon
    Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card -
    Case be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case $99.90 @ Newegg Sellers
    Power Supply EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.99 @ Newegg
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1259.21
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-14 12:35 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/TheSpryGuy
    [link] [comments]

    What would you guys upgrade?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:22 PM PDT

    Just wondering what you guys would change for the better?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h7sdBc

    submitted by /u/AnExceptionalBox
    [link] [comments]

    I give up!

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:21 PM PDT

    After replacing the cpu motherboard and psu, when the cpu is in the motherboard it doesn't power on but when the cpu is not in the motherboard it powers on. I have no idea anymore what is wrong with it, please help.

    B450 tomahawk max Ryzen 5 3600 Evga 600bq

    submitted by /u/Electrical_Bug_7192
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding a monitor!

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    So basically, I'm looking to get a 1440p, 144hz+, 27in monitor. In the 400-500CAD market preferably. I've found a few but reading reviews about backlight issues and ghosting is a bit off putting. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TheBatdude223
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading GPU and PSU.

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    I got new gpu in the mail. I also got my new psu. Is there anything special I need to do besides just switching the hardware?

    submitted by /u/danstvx
    [link] [comments]

    Would I be stupid for considering this cooling solution?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 10:03 AM PDT

    I'm trying to get a custom/open loop pc and I'm having trouble finding things within reasonable price ranges. You usually can save money by building yourself, but then with the gpu market still having not recovered, I've often been finding that buying a custom built pc (not a prebuilt as in an off the shelf pc, but one where I pick the parts and pay a build fee). So like many of us i've been going back and forth trying to find what's the best pricing. And I think I've landed on a cooling solution I like.

    There's a digital storm product called the hydrolux lite (as opposed to the hydrolux pro).

    Its technically an open loop but it resembles an aio (except with translucent tubing etc). Unlike an aio, you can add to it later. It resembles an aio because the radiator and pump are kind of one piece, so you end up with 2 tubes coming out of the cpu block and going right into the pump/reservoir/radiator hybrid.

    From what I understand, it cools a bit better than an aio, but not a full fat open loop cooler. Its got a somewhat smaller reservoir and pump so it sits somewhere in the middle.

    Its like 400 dollars cheaper than the hydrolux pro version for 1 cpu no gpu. And the performance seems only slightly worse. its basically just a Swiftech h220 but with hydrolux branding.

    Thoughts? If I don't want to dish out for a full custom loop, don't have the means to do one myself, but want something a little bit more than what an aio can offer (and have no problem flushing the water every 6 months), is this a decent purchase?

    I haven't found a similar product before.

    submitted by /u/Dotaproffessional
    [link] [comments]

    Suggest me a good mouse please

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 01:45 PM PDT

    I'm looking to buy a new mouse. It should meet the following criteria:

    • No software/driver installation
    • 800 DPI (maybe switchable with hardware buttons on the mouse, but no software should be necessary)
    • 1000 Hz polling rate
    • At least two thumb buttons
    • Preferably no RGB

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/agelord
    [link] [comments]

    Freezes

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 01:37 PM PDT

    I just build my pc 2-3 weeks ago and now every now and then when I'm watching live tv/twitch the computer partly freezes for example I can start word but chrome is frozen and task manager. Also when I try to go in to the windows settings it is also that i can click to system but then it's just nothing but I can move my mouse the whole time

    Anybody similar issues or solutions?

    *note I have run twice a benchmark and neither had any problems apart from the gpu being a little lower performance than the average

    submitted by /u/DueCrew5281
    [link] [comments]

    Does the ASUS Rog Strix B550-f gaming still have ethernet issues?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    I wanted to get this motherboard but saw a couple of posts about packet loss and random disconnections. Would appreciate any information!

    submitted by /u/iluvcalimari889
    [link] [comments]

    Windows wont boot after diskpart

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    Hello, I just got a new ssd and installed windows on it and everything went smooth, formatted the old one, but still I had to choose boot option each time I started.

    So after some googling I tried to clean the old ssd using diskparting. After that I cant boot on either of my drives. How bad have I messed up?

    submitted by /u/haca97
    [link] [comments]

    SanDisk SSD Plus 1TB bad real-world performance

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    Hi y'all,

    Recently I got the SanDisk SSD Plus with a size of 1TB as a second game drive and for general storage. I quickly noticed huge performance drops (as low as 2MB/s) when copying a file from my M.2 SSD. You can see an example here.

    I contacted SanDisk and they recommended me to try CrystalDiskMark, which I did and the numbers are what you would expect (screenshot). BUT it is still slow when copying a big file to it. I also tried reformatting, other SATA Ports/Cables, another computer, another "source" SSD, and more. One benchmark which does reflect my issue is HD Tune Pro (screenshot).

    SanDisk agreed to replace the drive and the new one does the same thing... So what could it be? Am I just stupid? Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/HappyReference
    [link] [comments]

    Another budget cpu post

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    Hello lovely people of buildapc! I have finally got myself a pc again after a decade without one, but it needs upgrading desperately. I currently run a A6 5400k, which is rather slow. According to the internet, with my current motherboard I could go up to A10 but even then it wouldn't really be worth it. Now with my budget I'd be staying in the 2nd hand market and to be honest I wouldn't need something that fancy, I was looking at recommended specs for GTA V as that's probably the main game I'd play on it and it recommends AMD FX 8350 or i5 3470(seems much cheaper and widely available in my area). Would that be a reasonable cpu to go for or am I better off with something slightly better yet in the similar price range? Also what motherboard would be compatible with it? Thanks a ton!

    submitted by /u/ZuckDeBalzac
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics Card is outdated

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    Hi, first off I'd like to mention that I don't know a lot about actually building pc's... I bought a premade PC in late 2016 and need to upgrade my current graphics card. Only thing is I am not quite sure what is compatible with my PC. I don't have a huge list of my parts but here's what i know i have for a fact..

    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz

    16 GB Ram

    P.S. I'd love some tips for buying a decent graphics cards in the $0-700 range

    P.P.S. I am only upgrading because i have been wanting to play the new game "deathloop" and it seems as though my graphics card is not up to standard for even the lowest requirements.

    submitted by /u/Rayne_FTW
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing GPU Fans

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    My GPU Fans are dying on me. I want to replace the fans but most of the replacements ship from China and take a while and the one company here "GPUFanReplacements" seems to have lost my order. The fans I had in there were 87mm. However I found this "https://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Bracket-Support-Computer-Radiator/dp/B07N3T1GJP/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=pci+slot+fan&qid=1631648887&sr=8-6" Which is a bracket to allow you to put standard fans beside your GPU. Would this work? It's right beside the card but not on the heatsink which might be a problem. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/dspring00
    [link] [comments]

    is anything from my rig salvageable?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    finally got enough money to upgrade or build a new pc after paying off all my debt is any thing from my current pc salvageable?

    CPU: AMD FX-8350 - 63.9%

    GPU: AMD RX 580 - 53%

    SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB - 53.1%

    USB: Generic- USB3.0 CRW -1 4GB - 8.9%

    RAM: G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1866 C9 4x4GB - 27.9%

    MBD: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

    stats from UserBenchmarks.com

    submitted by /u/Reasonable-Yam-5528
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment