• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 12, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 12, 2021

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    1000w or 1200w PSU for a system with the RTX 3080ti and a 10900k?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 06:32 AM PDT

    I feel for everyone who wants to game. I want to share this for those who aren't aware.

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 04:14 PM PDT

    If you're one of the unlucky folks who can't get a GPU, or has an older PC and can't afford an upgrade, there is hope if you're desperate to game.

    If you have a decent internet connection of at >10 Mbps, you can game with Stadia, Ubisoft+, GeForce Now and Luna. You don't need anything special, just a functional computer. Stadia can run off of your Chromebook, iPad, iPhone, or Android. No downside other than the data usage.

    This might seem like common knowledge but I have met tons of people who don't know they can stream games. Essentially it's Netflix for games.

    I'll be happy if this helps even one person who really wants to play something. Ubisoft+ has all of the recent AC games, Far Cry and Watch Dogs and more to help bide your time until parts are available.

    submitted by /u/Androneda
    [link] [comments]

    Are IPS or VA panels better?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 09:33 AM PDT

    Is it still a bad time to build a pc?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 11:01 AM PDT

    Hey Redditors,

    So I am planning to build a PC that does gaming, schoolwork, and multimedia (youtube, netflix, etc). By gaming I mean in 1080p or 1440p using high refresh rates (120 hz & beyond). I already have my windows 10 installation key as well as a gigabyte gtx 980 ti. I am in upstate NY USA and my budget is around $1800 USD for the other parts and peripherals. Given my situation is it still a bad time to build a desktop PC?

    Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/Mr_Rodan912
    [link] [comments]

    How many fans am I supposed to get?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 10:28 AM PDT

    Pretty much the title. I don't understand how many fans I need to have. I know I need a fan for the CPU but after that it gets really confusing for me. I think GPU's have built in fans but do I still need more for it? Also, does the PSU get it's own fan? The case itself also usually comes with 2-3 fans but the cases usually can fit at least 4 or 5 so should I buy more for that too? Sorry if these are low IQ questions. I'm just super confused :/

    submitted by /u/Butterfly_Seraphim
    [link] [comments]

    Is upgrading to 1440p a good idea?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 10:00 AM PDT

    Just upgraded my pc:

    RTX3060ti i7-11700k ASUS z590p GSkill trident 2x8 GB

    I am using my Asus 1080p monitor and I get great frame rates on games like Red Dead Redemption 2 at Ultra settings. I really have been wanting to upgrade to 1440p so I ordered an LG Ultragear 1440p. Will i see a significant drop in frame rate?

    submitted by /u/tootziez
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any alternatives ways to power on my pc if my case's power button is not working?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Hey fellas I need help. For some reason, my power button switch is always enabled, which means that the two pins that enable the power switch are always short circuited (even though the button doesn't seemed pressed). Therefore, my pc is constantly rebooting if I use my case power button to power on my pc. My case's reset button hasn't worked for some years, I suspect the cable broke at some point.

    I've been turning it on manually for the past week with a screwdriver, however I am looking for a new alternative that does not involve buying a new button. What's the best way? Is it possible to use my keyboard or mouse to power on my pc via usb?

    Thanks everyone.

    submitted by /u/RedRoseRing
    [link] [comments]

    Updating my rig

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 12:54 PM PDT

    So my motherboard died and have ordered the ASUS b550 itx board which should be here on Tuesday. I am going to, over the next year or two, be editing quite a lot of 4K footage for a couple short films.

    Currently have:

    3700x, 32gb 3200mhz ram and a 3070.

    Thinking about a 5900x and upping the ram to 64gb of 3600mhz ram.

    How much of an impact would that upgrade have on the work? Obviously the 5900x is more powerful than the 3700x but not sure if it's the right move for the rig.

    submitted by /u/HamishD23
    [link] [comments]

    Budget 1440p monitors?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 11:50 AM PDT

    Hey all!

    Planning to upgrade my 1080p to 1440p. I also would like a double monitor set up, so I'd prefer if it's not super wide.

    A lot of it seems to be > $200. Are there cheaper options?

    submitted by /u/gw2acc888
    [link] [comments]

    Bringing a PC on a plane?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    so im moving halfway across the country for college soon and im trying to find the best option to bring my pc with me.

    the first option i thought of was to bring it in a luggage as carry on. i would remove my gpu and just keep that in the box it came in, and i would wrap the actual tower in bubble wrap and put foam around the corners. id just be really careful carrying the luggage around, stowing it in the overhead compartment. but would TSA make me remove it from the luggage like they do with laptops?

    and the second option i had was to put it in a box and check it in. i would do the same with removing the gpu and wrapping it in bubble wrap and foam. but the only thing is i dont really trust it being handled by other people because i know that those check in bags get thrown around a lot even with fragile stickers.

    so i was just wondering what my best option would be and if any of u guys have had experience with this

    submitted by /u/iNightx
    [link] [comments]

    Moving OS to new laptop SSD?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 12:30 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My laptop currently has a 128gb m2 ssd with the OS installed on it, and a 1tb HDD.

    I was thinking about replacing the ssd with a 1tb ssd so it actually has some usable space, but I'm struggling to find a concrete answer as to whether it will be possible to move the OS to the new m2 SSD I buy if it is not installed in the machine? (say if I connect it via a USB adaptor or something?)

    Any help would be great.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Maxwelltre
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build my first PC, are my parts going to work?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 06:04 AM PDT

    I've been PC gaming for about 8 years now but up until now I've only bought prebuilt systems. My current PC is falling behind the standard nowadays and I've saved up a bit of money, what do you think of this setup?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ksd7K3

    submitted by /u/eethangilbert
    [link] [comments]

    New PC build, need advice

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 06:33 AM PDT

    I am currently running:

    i7 7700k
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G
    ASUS Z170M-E D3 LGA 1151
    28GB (3 x 8GB) DDR3 Kingston 1600Mhz

    I have come into some funds and I'm able to splurge around $4,000 on a new upgraded setup that will last me at least 3 years like my current has. I plan to sell the my current parts before or after my current build and that will add an extra $1,000 to the budget which Ill probably use for monitors and peripherals.

    Currently there is an ASUS RTX 3080 ROG Strix Gaming 10GB available near me and plenty of CPU options. Im thinking that'll be the graphics card I go for.

    My final setup will consist of three side-by-side monitors with the middle monitor being 4k for games (or all of them, havent decided yet)

    Are there any cpu's that are ideal for 4k gaming and you'd recommend more than others?

    I'd like to go with an lga1200 motherboard and ddr4 ram, motherboard brand is a last thought, as long as it has wifi ill be happy with it. (I should be fine with picking the motherboard and ram out)

    So pretty much, which cpu should I get for an ideal 4k gaming setup and what wattage power supply would be best?

    All advice is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/DGdodo
    [link] [comments]

    Hidden Acronis True Image HD license inside of Kingston M2 SSD packages

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/7e3HZQk.jpg

    This is probably common knowledge but i just opened a Kingston M2 SSD in a particular way and it revealed a license for Acronis True Image HD software.

    So yeah, check yours i already trashed my older ones (do'h)

    As for the software itself i never used it, but hey, free license.

    submitted by /u/PersonalityNo2906
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft Store is missing from Windows 10 Pro and I am getting stange "Unknown Locale (qaa-Latn)" keyboard layouts which I don't understand where they have come from

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 11:02 AM PDT

    As you may or may not know from my previous post, recently I bought me a new more powerful PC which I want to use for photo and video editing and I activated it just fine. I wanted to customize the taskbar with a program called TranslutentTB which is available on the Microsoft Store but when I searched for the Store in the Start menu, it wasn't there. I looked in the Apps & Features section in the Settings but the Microsoft Store wasn't there too.

    strange keyboard layouts: https://www.mediafire.com/file/y97rxoyx3vmup27/Screenshot+(2).png/file.png/file)

    submitted by /u/TheAppleSpot
    [link] [comments]

    Plugging in old PC's storage device on current PC?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 02:38 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    Ive never done this before so Im curious how it would work, or if Id mess anything up. Im trying to access some files on my old PC's storage device. Can I just plug in that SSD to my current PC and access the files? I have windows installed on both my current, and old storage device. Would I have to go into bios and boot from the secondary drive?

    Just a bit confused, thanks

    submitted by /u/335iJB4
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5700g and Chopin 200w - stuck at 2200mhz GPU. Is this is the PSU's power limit?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    Has anyone experimented with overclocking the 5700g in the 200w Chopin pro case and can share their experience? I've been unable to push it past Turbo on the GPU (2200 mhz), has game crashes for 2300 (extreme), and major tears and blacks screens at 2400, and 2500 mhz (manual). Left the CPU settings alone.

    CPU: Ryzen 5700g

    Mobo: Asus B550i Strix

    Ram: Viper 4400 2x8gb

    PSU: Chopin pro 200w

    Cooler: Thermalright axp90 x47full with arctic silver 5 paste and Noctua A9X14 pwm chromax

    HD: WD black 500gb NVMe and Samsung 860 evo 1TB SSD

    Bios settings from strategy 1, 2 & 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDfMwOBnoE

    COPD (4400 mhz, 1.45v, 19/19/19/39). Didn't turn on PBO. I set a fairly aggressive fan curve, temps max around 70 deg C. The CPU voltages do look a little high in the HwMonitor 1.475v max. And then the various GPU settings mentioned before (turbo / 2200 mhz - stable, extreme 2300mhz game crashes / tears, manual 2400 / 2500 tears / crashes / black screens)

    My only guess is that the CPU recommends a 300w PSU. And pushing the GPU clocks over 2200mhz with the 1.45v COPD for the ram plus everything else is more than a 200w PSU can handle. Even if the total power is there could it be the specific power amounts available on the various rails within the PSU or something?

    The performance on these settings is fine, but I would push it higher if I could. I can't figure out what else it could be.

    And a weird note, the temperatures go way up when inside the bios, like 50-60 deg C. I read that some bios can do that. The bios was updated to the current firmware in august when it arrived. It idles around 40 deg C normally.

    submitted by /u/RodimusIV
    [link] [comments]

    PC keeps Hard Freezing and can't find out why

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 12:07 PM PDT

    My PC keeps hard freezing, mostly while playing video games like Watch Dogs Legion and GTA V. This started happening when i upgraded my GPU from a 1060 3GB to a Radeon RX 6600 XT. At first I thought that maybe I just got a faulty gpu, so I returned it and bought another one. I also installed a new PSU at the same time as my 2nd 6600 XT came in. So I now also have a 750W Cooler Master PSU. But after all that, my PC keeps hard freezing, and I can't find out what is causing this. None of my components where misbehaving before my GPU upgrade. If you have any questions that can determine what can cause this issue, please ask them.

    PC Specs:
    i5-11400F
    AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT
    Gigabyte Z490M
    2x 8GB DDR4 RAM (Crucial CT8G4DFS824A)
    SSD: KINGSTON SA2000M8250G
    HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0
    HDD: FUJITSU MHY2200BH
    HDD: Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102

    submitted by /u/Legertanks
    [link] [comments]

    Question about monitor.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 10:28 AM PDT

    I have a rx570 8gb and would like to know what monitor should i get? I think it should be 1080p 120hz or 144hz with IPS display.

    submitted by /u/Fluffy-Bookkeeper656
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get past bios

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    Hi

    I can't past the bios on my pc. It crashes on automatic repair when booting to samsung 980 Pro m.2 .( I also have Western digital m.2 installed which is brand new)

    My pc specs: Cpu: i9 10850k Cpu cooler: arctic liquid freezer ii 360 aio Motherboard:msi z490 gaming edge wifi Ram: 32g hyperx furry Gpu: palit rtx 3080ti Power supply: rm 850x Case phanteks p500a

    What I have tried: 1. Swaping ram 2. Swaping motherboard to Gigabyte z590 aorus elite ax 3. Booting to usp memory stick that has Windows installed. 4. Connecting to sata ssd which has Windows( which works on other pc) on it and it doesn't load 5. Unplug gpu and Connect via motherboard to monitor.

    My pc did work for 3 months then just kept crashing when booting to windows.

    When booting to usp memory stick it has a black screen with a small white text line on top left of screen.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what to do next. I am thinking off replacing the Cpu just to check if that has somehow broken.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/lawes299
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about my new PC

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 01:59 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm about to buy my new PC and have some questions about it. Specs: CPU Intel i7 11700K Motherboard MSI MPG Z590 GAMING EDGE WIFI RAM Kingston Fury DDR-4 32GB 3600 Quad Kit 4x8GB Power be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 Platinum 850W SSD WD Black SN750 1TB + WD Black 500GB CPU Cooler Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX Case Corsair iCUE 5000X Plus Corsair SP120 RGB ELITE Coolers

    About the GPU, not that sure which one to buy 3060 or Ti and also which version of these. Totally going to have 9 cooler what do I need to run em property do I need Corsair Commander PRO or something else also can I mix my Corsair fans?

    But mostly scare that I won't have enough space for something or it's just not compatible.

    So please answer if you have similar build or know any of these.

    submitted by /u/kusshiie
    [link] [comments]

    Need a new cheap GPU.

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    My GPU (Ryzentm 5 1600) died. I need a new one.

    Any recommendations? Budget is 100€ (I live in Germany)

    submitted by /u/Simalf
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be stupid to go for the G.Skill Royal (CL18 and 10eu more expensive) instead of the Trident Z (CL16) if both are 16GB and 3600Mhz just because of the aesthetic?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    Good "Future proof" PSU upgrade?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    So my friends pc had his psu give out on him and needs a replacement, I figured maybe I could just give him my current psu and get myself an upgrade. This is what I have right now :

    ([PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gthqMv)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QKJtt6/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-36-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000071box) | $295.99 @ B&H

    **Motherboard** | [MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max) | $89.99 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B9gzK8/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-8-gb-1-x-8-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls8g4d30aesbk) |-

    **Memory** | [Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B9gzK8/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-8-gb-1-x-8-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls8g4d30aesbk) |-

    **Storage** | [Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HmmFf7/sabrent-rocket-q-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-sb-rktq-1tb) | $119.98 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB AORUS MASTER Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rC3mP6/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8-gb-aorus-master-video-card-gv-n306taorus-m-8gd) |-

    **Case** | [Corsair SPEC-ALPHA ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RDqbt6/corsair-case-cc9011084ww) | Purchased For $30.00

    **Power Supply** | [SeaSonic G 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R7V48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm) | Purchased For $50.00

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$585.96**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-09-12 16:54 EDT-0400 |)

    I'm looking for a psu that can support an rtx 3080 (maaybe a 3090) and more demanding CPU's in the future

    submitted by /u/aultperry
    [link] [comments]

    Help with LED Stripes

    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    Hey, I just bought a new pc with a MSI B550 a pro mainboard. I want to connect some led stripes. My question is what Kind of led stripes am i able to Use? I would prefere some which i could Control with a Software like Mystic light. Is this possible with that mainboard?

    submitted by /u/ClarityXy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment