• Breaking News

    Friday, September 3, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 03, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 03, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 03, 2021

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    i have a ryzen 7 3700x and want to upgrade to the to the ryzen 9 5950x, is it worth finding the money now to upgrade at $750 or should i wait? i read something about price increases coming to retail prices. i dont need the upgrade, it would be a want for sure.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 07:11 AM PDT

    I'm an idiot

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 03:34 PM PDT

    I had a cpu fail last October and shelled out money for a 3700x to replace a 3600x. What went from daily freezing turned into constant blue screens.

    Fast forward to the last 3 months and the freezing starts again. I bring it in for diagnosis and pay $50 as I'm racking my brain as to why it's doing it. Basically if left running overnight, it will freeze at a random time.

    They call me and say "your ram wasn't seated properly. Come pick it up." Get there and thankfully didn't have additional charges since I reinstalled windows before bringing it in.

    FML

    submitted by /u/specbravo
    [link] [comments]

    IS EXTRA $85 SPENDING WORTH IT?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 04:04 AM PDT

    OPTION 1 -- ($441)

    i5-11400F + GIGABYTE DS3H B560M + 3200MHz (8x2)GB

    OPTION 2 -- ($356)

    i5-10400F + GIGABYTE DS3H B460M + 2666MHz (8x2)GB

    GPU -- GTX 1660S OC (ALREADY HAVE)

    Purpose -- Basically Gaming (NOT HARDCORE)

    IS THAT EXTRA $85 SPENDING WORTH IT FOR OPTION 1

    ***Not interested in Upgrading at least for five years maybe I will upgrade the GPU in 2-3 years.

    **Those Prices are from My Country (S-Asia)

    submitted by /u/shimulroy
    [link] [comments]

    my ssd isnt working

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    so i bought an ssd a long time ago and ive tried everything to make it work, so i was wondering if you guys have any tips or may have an idea of what the problem is.

    submitted by /u/SnooMachines6730
    [link] [comments]

    Maximum GPU Lifespan with Maintenance?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    So we're all probably aware of the GPU shortage here.

    This has led many of us to take much better care of the GPU's we currently have as we have very few options if our GPU's die.

    I have a EVGA GTX 780 Reference from 2013 that I still use everyday. I recently replaced the thermal paste and pads on account of the reasoning mentioned above.

    I was able to bring my temperatures down from 79 C to 66 C.

    Given that this card is nearly 8 years old, how much more life do you think I can expect out of this card before it dies?

    submitted by /u/Pritster5
    [link] [comments]

    GTX 1080 for work on 32" 4K, 60 Hz monitor

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 10:08 PM PDT

    Hello, I need help, cannot find direct answer, I builded my PC in 2016 with GTX 1080 and now want to upgrade monitor to 32" 4K, 60 Hz and as secondary use old 27" 2K, 60 Hz, my question is can GTX 1080 handle it smoothly just for work, all reviews I found saying it's can handle good till 2K 60 fps for game. But what about 3D/2D modeling programs (Archicad, Revit, AutoCAD, Tekla and etc. multiple big PDF on both monitors), Youtube/Movies on secondary and on main 3D modeling in same time. Games or 3D applications load GPU more or the same? Or just upgrade the GPU. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Tomuxxx1
    [link] [comments]

    Determining a power supply

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    Hey guys, it's me again. After some careful consideration about prices right now, I've determined the following components are the ones I selected to start my PC. My main concern is figuring out what power supply would best fit this build.

    https://i.ibb.co/GJQNMVH/build2.png

    Thank you in advanced if anyone lets me know how.

    submitted by /u/Heap_Buffer_Overflow
    [link] [comments]

    Best Case for £300 or Less

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 05:45 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, has anyone got recommendations on a case? I don't mind spending anywhere up to £300 or so (UK) as I know the case is highly important.

    I'm looking for something decently quiet but has the ability to have easy access to internals and if possible, easy-to-clean. I won't mention thermals as I think everyone here would be interested in good thermals. :)

    submitted by /u/-Phalanx
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs AMD Ryzen 7 5800X for Streaming

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 11:16 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have a request. Can someone explain to me why a lot of people recommend the 5800x over the 5600x if you are going to stream too? I have the 5600x and don't really see any significant dips in performance while playing and streaming at the same time, so I am confused as to why people are recommending the 5800x over the 5600x, when there is a (huge imo) price difference at MSRP. I understand that the 5800x is a more powerful CPU and has more cores and threads, which means more efficient multitasking and such, but does it perform that much more than the 5600x to warrant paying the price difference of $110 to $150? I am genuinely curious.

    Edit: changed warranty to warrant

    submitted by /u/HungrySuChan
    [link] [comments]

    I finished my build, but it wont post.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    I finished my build, but it isnt posting, i tried with different monitors, but it just doesnt work, i received a problem on pcpartpicker that says " Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." is this the problem? how do i upgrade the bios?

    submitted by /u/demonkiller8
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a reliable/quiet/fast media hard drive for my gaming PC

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 11:52 AM PDT

    Looking to move the media off of my 1tb SSD and put it on a separate drive. I could get another SSD for media, but that seems to be more costly. Looking for a few TB 2gb+ of internal storage capacity.

    I haven't had a traditional HDD in over 10 years, so I'm not sure what to expect of noise. I have a LianLi Dynamic XL, so I have plenty of space for HDD storage.

    What would you recommend?

    This will mainly be Plex media storage, but also personal backup of photo/video and portfolio design work.

    submitted by /u/Flight2039Down
    [link] [comments]

    Managed to get a 3060ti FE but I think I need to upgrade...help!

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 06:24 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    Managed to get a 3060ti FE today but I'm wondering where I need to upgrade to make the most of it.

    Currently I have:

    • R5 2600

    • 1660ti

    • 16gb ram 3000mhz

    • 450w PSU (Silverstone)

    • MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC AMD Motherboard

    • 1080p 144hz monitor

    As you can see I will be gaming at 1080p so I know that the CPU is going to bottleneck the GPU.

    My question is what is the best upgrade option for as little money as possible? Do I NEED a new PSU as well? Should I just live with the bottleneck until the next CPUs are released. Or should I just resell the card?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/L33ny1983
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone ever seen a baby blue 2070 blower card? I hadn't until I opened this bestbuy prebuilt I bought second hand. Gorgeous!

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 09:58 AM PDT

    No idea who makes it yet. No label at all, just GEFORCE RTX 2070. I haven't plugged it into anything yet to run tests on it. Anyone know anything about it?

    https://i.imgur.com/63NNtll.jpeg

    submitted by /u/lifeform7
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot wait anymore, what are your thoughts?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 02:32 PM PDT

    Ok Guys,

    I am tired of waiting and in need of a PC.

    I will me using it for work and gaming, I want to be able to play 1440P 144hz for the coming years.

    Please review my selection

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qVf8fP)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g94BD3/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-37-ghz-6-core-processor-100-100000065box) | $267.99 @ Newegg

    **CPU Cooler** | [Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7dTrxr/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-cpu-cooler-nh-u12s-se-am4) | $69.95 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3Mxbt6/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550-tomahawk) | $155.00 @ Walmart

    **Memory** | [G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ch3mP6/gskill-flare-x-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-32gfx) | $129.99 @ Newegg

    **Storage** | [Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mKBG3C/samsung-980-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-mz-v8v1t0bam) | $129.99 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wNpzK8/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-8-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-n307tgaming-oc-8gd) | $1659.99 @ Amazon

    **Case** | [Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CgRgXL/fractal-design-define-7-compact-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-c-def7c-05) | $109.98 @ Newegg

    **Power Supply** | [Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/79tQzy/corsair-rmx-2018-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020179-na) | $134.99 @ Amazon

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$2657.88**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-09-03 17:31 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/Raggamannn
    [link] [comments]

    Underperforming PC Need Help

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 06:28 AM PDT

    PC SPECS:

    CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

    GPU: 3070 ti

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance rgb pro 2x8gb 3600mhz

    SSD: Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb m.2

    CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken Z73

    MOBO: x570-e

    POWER SUPPLY: Corsair rm850

    CASE: Lian Li o11 dynamic xl

    I've run multiple benchmarks including the likes of 3dmark, userbenchmark, passmark, superposition, heaven, cinebench, and tested in games and all show lower scores than I should be getting. I've recently upgraded from 3060 to 3070 ti and both gpu's showed similar results in terms of underperforming so I don't think the gpu is the issue. My cpu scores have always been below average so that might be part of it but don't know exactly as of right now. Thoughts?

    Here's a link to my 3dmark results http://www.3dmark.com/spy/22603713

    submitted by /u/AngusD23
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a new gpu that isn't soo loud when at idle

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 05:04 AM PDT

    As the title says I'm looking for a new gpu that has fans that don't ramp up underload. Currently have a 1660 super which is great for games but it's too noisy at idle. (yes I have changed it in msi afterburner but the minimum is 30%.

    Am happy to buy used and am located in Australia.

    submitted by /u/Hotsmithy2016
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard And CPU upgrade -

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    Hi.

    I'm looking for advice on upgrading my motherboard and CPU.

    Motherboard - m410m pro. CPU - Intel i7-10700.

    I was looking at the Ryzen 9 5950X Processor (16C/32T, 72MB Cache, Up to 4.9 GHz Max Boost) which will obviously need a motherboard change. Will the CPU upgrade be wroth the money, as i only real thing I do is game. I was also looking at an AMD CPU to take advantage of resizeable bar

    Sorry should add i have a 6800 XTrio

    submitted by /u/PedFraser
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my pc take 20 minutes to start?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    So it's been a while now since this happens. Every time I turn on the pc, it runs, windows is running, I check task manager and the disc is always at 100% for at least 20 minutes. There's nothing in specific causing it (I think) because literally anything shows up as the most disc usage. If I open opera then opera is going to be using the most, or other random windows things or nvidia sometimes. I tried resetting the hard disk, tried reinstalling windows, checked with various programs if the disc is damaged, ran a command to check if it's okay and no error seems to appear. It seems like the disc is fine but something is definitely wrong. Any help? I'm going crazy

    submitted by /u/KosidK
    [link] [comments]

    Can I change to this CPU?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 05:40 AM PDT

    Hi, I have a pc with the following specs.

    GTX 1050ti i3-7100 3.90GHz LENOVO 36D9 8GB RAM

    And I was wondering if I could change the cpu to a i7-7700. Would it be compatible with all my other parts? Would I get better performances in games. And would my pc just be faster and more responsive in general?

    submitted by /u/ZANYEEASTXII
    [link] [comments]

    gigabyte 6700 XT GAMING OC or Zotac 3070 TWIN EDGE OC?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 12:12 PM PDT

    only 40$ price difference, zotac lowest

    submitted by /u/Ability_Weird
    [link] [comments]

    PC fans and extensions work but it will not turn on on monitors please for the love of all things holy help me.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 02:17 PM PDT

    I just recently like within 2 months built my own pc at home. Last week i moved into a new apartment naturally taking my pc with me. I set it up and used it for a night and it worked just as it did at home but the next day when i went to turn it on nothing came up on screen. Its been about a week now and me and my friends from home who helped me build the pc have tried just about everything. So just to be clear my monitors are both connected in the right spots, my keyboard and mouse are working, the fans for my motherboard, case, and graphics card are all spinnin', i have made sure all the cords and wires are still in the proper place, and there are no beeps or flashing lights. I have a Gigabyte b460m d53h v2 motherboard.

    submitted by /u/trevvert34
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung 980 vs 970 Evo for storage (Not for gaming)

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    I want to know which is better for just storage, I right now have 2 TB WD green from 2010 which has gotten super slow, I recently upgraded my rig and the HDD is slowing things down doing normal stuff, I know 980 is cheap as it doesn't have Dram Cache, but does it matter for string files?

    submitted by /u/rohithkumarsp
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone got experience with a Samsung 980 1TB SSD m2?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 01:58 PM PDT

    Found a great deal on it and looking to replace my 1tb hdd with this. The price seems really good for the size? Any cons to getting this ssd? Thanks

    submitted by /u/buckbundythedog
    [link] [comments]

    Can a gtx 1080 run dual 144hz monitors?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    i'm planning to build a computer with a gtx 1080 in it. also i want to run dual screens for multitasking and watching youtube simultaneously. however i can't find a 27 inch monitor of the same brand which have 60 and 144hz counterparts. so i decided to maybe just run two of the exact same monitors (unless i [or you] find a monitor with what i needed. but if that can't happen. will the gtx 1080 be fine to run two 144hz monitors?

    submitted by /u/henry-shaw
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment