• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 1, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 01, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - September 01, 2021


    Simple Questions - September 01, 2021

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I know y'all don't care but I got all my computer parts today and I'm going to build it within the next couple hours. I'll show the finished product when I'm done

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    I didn't mean to sound like I'm whoring for karma, I just know I'm super excited and I'm not use to others being excited for me. My progress though I got all put together except m.2 and GPU. But had to go to work. I'll finish tonight. And I didn't even think of getting before pics 0.0. here's my part list. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jVy94d and before I left for work I couldn't find the m.2 screw :/

    submitted by /u/PinkUnicornBro
    [link] [comments]

    Are GPU's overpriced even at retail price?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    I'm not too familiar with the current market but see everyone talking about how GPUs are way overpriced now, being scalped etc.

    But if I get for example a 3060 TI at Newegg for $529 retail price - does the overpriced judgement suggest that those should be cheaper but are currently inflated?

    submitted by /u/Fraganade
    [link] [comments]

    Built my PC 2 years ago and thought the wifi card was just shitty

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 06:11 AM PDT

    Turns out there was a wifi antenna that came with my mother board that I never screwed in! I had been so stumped as to why the wifi signal was so shit and why the 2 little gold threaded screw ins at the back of my computer existed. Literally the router would be 5 feet away, and I'd have really bad signal. I looked through the box my motherboard came in, and lo and behold I find this little magnetic wifi antenna that screws in. Got it attached, now have full reception for wifi on my computer. My Gawd!!!

    submitted by /u/CookieDoh
    [link] [comments]

    I see so many builds with 3000 series GPUs. How are you guys doing it without paying scalper prices?!?!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    Seriously how?!?! Tell me what to do

    Edit: ironically a few hours after I made this post I checked my local microcenter and found one.

    https://imgur.com/WS1n2wy.jpg

    submitted by /u/f1sh_
    [link] [comments]

    Today the EVGA SUPERNOVA made justice to it's name....

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 05:22 PM PDT

    Like a star, it blew up and took my EVGA 3080ti with it

    Luckily for me EVGA didn't have a 3080ti in stock so they are sending me a 3090

    Evga Supernova G5 850W Gold, for those wondering which model.

    submitted by /u/mightymokujin
    [link] [comments]

    Bigabyte P850GM catching fires, is AP850GM (aorus) safe to use?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 04:41 AM PDT

    Gigabyte P850GM and AP850GM are two different models, but I still don't want to risk burning down my house. Was AP850GM tested for these issues somewhere and proven to be safe to use?

    submitted by /u/fidless
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap CPU cooler for i5-10400F

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 05:36 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm not sure which CPU cooler to get with a i5-10400F. I would like it to be 30$-40$ and for it to fit with a white themed build.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Tall-Understanding-8
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade to 5900X and case swap, would like to order today.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 09:34 AM PDT

    I have been running a 8600K and whilst I had lots of fun with it I wanna get a 5900X so I have more performance for my 3D stuff and games, obviously.

    Current Build.

    Upgrade parts.

    I want to get a smaller case, initially wanted to go SFF but felt like to many parts would be left over. The 2080 should fit perfectly, there are even images about it online.

    My biggest concern is the 240 AiO. Should I just stick to air or will the performance be better? And will the 5900X be throttled by this? Another option would be to get a Lian Li LANCOOL 205 Mesh, there I could fit a 280 rad which was my initial plan.

    Not really planning on OCing, maybe try PBO but it's not necessary.

    submitted by /u/GR3Y_B1RD
    [link] [comments]

    I built an entry level gaming pc under £200 for my girlfriend and she's over the moon with it!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 10:10 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/oy6DPpt

    After a little dig at me for spending so much on my rig she challenged me to build her a half decent one, including monitor for under £200 so she can play Sims 3.

    Already had an evga gt740sc stashed away somewhere so I snagged an Optiplex 3010 with a i5 3470 off eBay with an SSD and wireless card for £27, an AOC 24" 1080p monitor for £11 also off eBay. Snagged a tx550m from Amazon in sale for £39 plus the case was on sale too at £29. Most of the other bits I already had left over from my own build.

    And I managed to take the fan off my old ryzen cooler to replace the stock intel one because she hated it!

    Going to IKEA on the weekend too to get another desk so our two rigs can sit side by side.

    Life's good......for now!

    submitted by /u/_skes_
    [link] [comments]

    I know now is not a great time to build, but... is building a PC just a bad idea right now or still a reasonable, yet expensive, option?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 07:14 AM PDT

    I am about to finish my degree and have been wanting to build my own PC for years. Currently I'm using an Asus ROG G20 with a GTX 970 I bought from a friend for cheap about 3 years ago. I wanted to just upgrade parts as I went along, but I quickly found out this computer is not upgrade friendly mainly due to the limited space and the laptop motherboard they used.

    After waiting for close to ten years I am finally financially stable and ready to build my own PC. The problem now is the economy. As we all know, prices are high and supply is basically a myth. I just want to get a 3060, but even those are going for more than twice their MSRP.

    My issue is that the computer I have is really starting to show it's age and I want to build something, but now does not seem like the best time and I haven't been seeing any light at the end of this tunnel. Should I just buy a prebuilt and hope an opportunity comes up in a few years or just go ahead and pay the outrageous prices? I don't want to just contribute to the issue either (not that my single situation is going to make a big difference). What other options do I have?

    submitted by /u/Kwazzi_
    [link] [comments]

    First time builder - pc crashes in windows installer

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 02:40 PM PDT

    Hey I'm really struggling and looking for some advice.

    Everything was going well for my build, all the parts went in fine, I got the system to post and open bios. Seems to be stable in bios and is identifying all components.

    However when I put my boot usb in and restart it starts up goes to the first spinning wheel of the installer then crashes. After it crashes the VGA system light turns on but I'm not getting an error screen or anything.

    I've tried cmos refresh, bios update, taking one or the other ram out and flipping their order around.

    I'm starting to think it might be a faulty part but with no known good parts I can't think of how to test which part it is.

    Any ideas?

    Type Item Price
    CPU [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor]
    Motherboard [MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard]
    Memory [G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory]
    Storage [Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive]
    Video Card [ASRock Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Challenger D OC Video Card] -
    Case [Corsair Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case]
    Power Supply [Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply]
    submitted by /u/Lallanaisboss
    [link] [comments]

    Is 200$ for a gtx 1650 good?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 12:13 PM PDT

    Ive been wanting to buy a gpu for over a year now but because of the virus all gpus have been out of stock just now a a gtx 1650 was put up for sale in my country for 200$ so I've been thinking about buying i know its not the best gpu but its enough for me cuz i have really low standards and 1080p low i more than enough for me and the next better card is the 1660 which is 300$ more expensive

    submitted by /u/Juden_ausrotten
    [link] [comments]

    27" 1440p 240hz or 27" 4k 144hz? Which do you prefer?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 02:39 PM PDT

    First of all, i know there's been other posts similar to this one, I've already read them but wanted to make my own post.

    I currently have a 27gl83a-b, which is a 1440p 144hz monitor and my gpu is a 3080.

    I realize the only way to truly know is to try both myself but i still wanted to post here anyway to hear the opinions of other people.

    I'm hoping people who've actually tried both will reply to this.

    i sit about 25-30 inches from my monitor.

    27" is already almost too big for me, maybe i would consider a 28" but never anything bigger than that.

    I use my pc for regular stuff like watching youtube,browsing reddit, sometimes watch movies. i read a lot of text so i feel like 4k would be beneficial for that. (i had a 60hz 28" 4k monitor for a day and text was amazing but i returned it the next day because I'm too used to 144hz now) i also game and do some video and photo editing.

    So the main reason i want the 1440p 240hz is for rocket league, it already feels great at 144hz but I'm sure it would feel even better at 240hz, even if it's not a huge difference. i did try a 360hz monitor somewhere once for a few minutes and the smoothness of dragging windows was amazing compared to my 144hz so i guess that's another reason i want 240hz but its not really a big deal at all.

    90% of what i play is rocket league, the other 10% are things like Sea of Thieves, Minecraft,Dark Souls,a hat in time, sometimes things like Witcher 3 and MHW.

    i know at 4k my 3080 will probably barely be able to run the newest games above 60fps in a year, if even, so that's a concern, but i don't really even care for most new games.

    I feel like the 4k monitor would be an easier choice if there weren't scaling issues with windows, thats the biggest thing stopping me from it.

    So who here is using a 4k 27" and what scaling do you use and how is it?

    is the scaling a big enough issue that i should just stay at 1440p?

    so yeah I'm kind of torn, i feel like 4k would be a more noticeable upgrade, but i really want 240hz too but pretty much only for rocket league. for any other game I'm happy if i can get 80-120fps

    submitted by /u/spoonkee
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a Gaming Club at my school

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 12:51 PM PDT

    Good afternoon!

    I'm a teacher at middle school and I'm starting up a gaming club for the students to join in. I'm not entirely sure what I would need in full to do this, but know it's incredibly limited funding (i.e. out of pocket for the first year). My current though is get a game console and call it a day, but I know some wacky things can be put together and run eSports titles well enough. The goal would be to run Rocket League, League of Legends, Among Us, and any other "school friendly" game. Normally I'd say Valorant, CSGO, Overwatch, but they definitely tread outside what I can actually let the students play.

    Would I be best to just get a PS4 off ebay or something and let the kids play some games on that or should I look to get a PC or two for cheap and have them "barely" run. Somewhere tucked away I have some older graphics cards. An R9 380x and an R9 285. They could give some basic computers some oomph.

    submitted by /u/InstanceDuality
    [link] [comments]

    Any good 650-750 watt PSU suggestions?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 01:46 PM PDT

    I went on the LTT PSU tier list and realised it doesn't actually help if you only want a power supply at a specific power output. I was going to purchase the corsair rm650x, but heard rumours that it was overpriced. I don't really know what makes a power supply good, so all I want is it to be fully modular and reliable. Anyone know any better alternatives to the corsair rmx PSUs, or a good website to find one myself?

    submitted by /u/A_HotMashing
    [link] [comments]

    can i change parts on a mouse pad

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 10:20 AM PDT

    i'm planning to change my ram and ssd soon, but i don't know anything about static electricity and stuff. i don't know if my mouse pad can screw up the parts

    submitted by /u/felix-flix
    [link] [comments]

    Have a question about XMP relating to my mobo and RAM compatibility

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 01:03 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I have an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero Xi Mobo and 2x8 GB T-Force Xcalibur 4000 RAM. great hardware!! beautiful too.

    However, I have been encountering issues related to enabling the XMP Profile 1 option.

    long story short its been unstable. PC couldnt post, displaying 7F and 23 codes. PC couldnt boot, so i tested out each stick, got XMP enabled and switched the sticks. all seemed to be working well with XMP enabled for a few days and i could see the speeds were being reached. yay, i thought!

    after a couple days of the PC working well/no issues with XMP enabled, i encountered a crash playing a game the other night and then just last night my PC BSOD'd with an error code related to RAM. needless to say, this prompted me to turn off XMP and keep everything at Auto.

    kind of a let down, not a huge deal though. was just curious if anyone knows if my hardware combo is truly compatible for XMP or not. after talking with some experts it may seem like they are not? just lame. Auto profile defaults the speeds to half of what theyre advertised for. (2400 vs 4000 mhz). oh well

    submitted by /u/Jclevs11
    [link] [comments]

    My PC randomly shuts down and then turns itself back on again. It even happens when I am not gaming. Any ideas?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 03:10 PM PDT

    is it decent enough to run AAA titles on mid graphics?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 07:37 PM PDT

    I dont know much about computer stuff but i wanted one. Almost 90% people suggested to build one. So here's what i came up with,

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/rTJYvf

    If its possible, i'd like to make some downgrades coz its a little over my budget. Any suggestions?

    Any other kind of help/suggestion/recommendation is also welcome :)

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/Stoicic
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding m.2 screws

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 08:56 AM PDT

    I have one m.2 installed, I'd like to install a second one, but I need another screw and standoff, can someone help me find one? Not sure if motherboard specific but if so my motherboard is a ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SpirituallyImproving
    [link] [comments]

    Best 16GB ram for Ryzen 5 3500?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 12:25 PM PDT

    I've tried my best to do the research but all this timing and letters has confused me more than anything.

    I've kept reading Samsung is the best yet they don't make them anymore? Does it really matter besides 7zip scores?

    submitted by /u/howyes
    [link] [comments]

    Should I drop 20-25 dollars more for a 80+ Gold rated PSU over a Bronze one.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 09:12 AM PDT

    Will I save money using a more efficient power supply?

    submitted by /u/Ciapropagandaaccount
    [link] [comments]

    Tomahawk B550 Not Receiving Power

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 11:35 AM PDT

    Just bought a new MSI Tomahawk B550 and got it all built and put into my case. Nothing was turning on and it did not even show signs of receiving any power. I have a brand new PSU. I connected my new PSU to an old motherboard, the motherboard showed signs of having power due to the RGB lights lighting up. When I connect the new PSU to my new B550 Motherboard, I get no RGBs and no signs of power. Is this just a faulty motherboard?

    submitted by /u/Juhlian
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment