• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 29, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 29, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - August 29, 2021


    Simple Questions - August 29, 2021

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Pour one out for me, builders. I finally got my hands on an RTX 3090 from Newegg (a god damn miracle), the world's worst courier had it stuck "in transit" for 8 days, has now officially been marked as "lost". RIP.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 04:58 PM PDT

    5800x - sharing how I lowered temperature

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    It's been a few days since my Ryzen 7 5800x arrived and I'm very happy with it. Like others, I was concerned about temperatures, so I thought about sharing the steps I took to minimize its impact in my system.

    Case: Darkflash DLM 21

    MB: Asrock x570m

    CPU: 5800x

    GPU: 6800 XT Sapphire Nitro+

    Memory: 32gb HyperX 3200

    PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 850

    Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu Mark II

    Case Fans: Three Scythe Kaze Flex 120 RGB 1800 rpm (Two intake, One Exhaust)

    1. PPT - at stock, the maximum PPT is set to 140W. In my case, when running Cinebench R20, the temperature would go up to 90C quickly, and the system was using 100% of both PPT and EDC limits. After some trial and error, I fixed PPT to a level that was producing a temperature I was comfortable with while running CB R20, which in my case was 81C. At stock, I started with a score of 5840 (reaching max temp) down to 5740 with PPT of 105W. These figures will certainly differ for every user due to cooling solution, silicon quality, temperature target etc.
    2. Curve Optimizer (CO) - when I got to the desired temperature under Cinebench R20, I started tweaking down my CO. I've done PPT first because I wanted to get rid of the temperature throttling and CO won't help on this, as it will adjust other parameters (optimize!) keeping the power consumption the same. I suggest going on -5 steps for all the cores (but do it with the per core view) until CB crashes. Than, increase the value for your best and/or second best cores and try again. When you get stable again with best/second best cores, keep decreasing the values for the other cores.
    3. OCCT - When I got to the CO values that Cinebench was running without issues, I started stress testing with OCCT for small data set on a by core basis, one at a time (select the core and "Physical and Virtual Cores" option under advanced menu). I ran it for 15 minutes each. Basically, it seems that CO may result in failures on light loads, which is not verified by some of the more traditional stress test tools. Here, I got a few errors and had to undo some of the CO values. I haven't stress tested with Prime95 - which I regularly read should be done for at least 12 hours (please don't post "it is not stable", just run it if you wish).
    4. Install FanControl - it is an amazing software with a modern and easy interface. Here, I have set my case fan speed based on max(CPU Temp, GPU temp). I think it is very useful as you can speed the case fans up more aggressively while gaming (i.e., when GPU temps increase). Also, I've decided to pick a more stable temperature source (CCD1 Tdie) so the case fans are not going so crazy all the time. This is the link to the developer's thread - please donate if you can.
    5. Watch out for certain processes that make your CPU temperature spikes - in my case, I was experiencing odd temperature spikes (and thus fans ramping up), and later I realized it was due to Windows Compatibility Telemetry, which was kicking in frequently and using 6% of my CPU. It can be turned off as described here.

    With those steps, I've managed to keep temperatures and noise at a lower level. It is also important to emphasize that the temperature regime for the Ryzen 5000 is higher than you probably were used before, so no need get concerned if you are getting 80C-90C under load.

    My current settings/results are:

    PPT 105, TDC 95, EDC 120

    CO: best core -19, second best -23, others -30

    Best CB R20 score: MC 6123 @ ~4600 MHz (74.6C), SC 625 @ ~4850 MHz

    Gaming @ 4850 MHz (65-70C)

    Idle Temp: Low 30C

    Browsing Temp: 40-45C

    Edit: Best CB R20 score is 6123 @ 74.6C. Average score @ 80C is 6053.

    submitted by /u/WhatsMyRedditUser
    [link] [comments]

    Integrated Graphics to 3060ti (5 month build update)

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 10:55 AM PDT

    I'm sure not many people will see this, I'm just so overjoyed with the huge difference between the graphics of my 3400g and a recent godsend: a 3060ti! Months of searching finally paid off.

    This was my first ever build, and I started out knowing next to nothing about the hardware. I've lurked in this subreddit for so long, and it's now one of my biggest interests. I've built three computers now, about to do my fourth, using so much knowledge from the amazing people here. I'm really excited to get into heavier games and 3D modeling. The cooling solution on this card is so giant I had to switch the location of my AIO fans just to fit it in there. (yes, the AIO is purely for aesthetics haha)

    After vs Before

    Original parts list post

    Thanks to anyone who is still here reading this, I just wanted to share some hope for anyone still looking for a GPU. Microcenter is amazing.

    Brief specs:

    - Asus TUF 3060 ti

    - Ryzen 3400g (overclocked and undervolted)

    - 16gb 3200mz CL16 ram

    - b450 pro4 motherboard

    submitted by /u/adelialela
    [link] [comments]

    Is the 1080ti still worth it?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 04:23 AM PDT

    I'm building my first PC and while doing my research on parts I noticed the used 1080ti is quite cheap compared to other, newer cards. Would the old chip architecture make much of a difference in performance? My build so far is an i5 10400f with 16gb of ram, just need a graphics card.

    submitted by /u/EfficiencyCalm5612
    [link] [comments]

    Monitoring and caring for a PSU

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 07:52 AM PDT

    I have a question about how to care and monitor the state of a PSU. I have a rather powerful GPU which I also use for work, and with current prices it would be most unfortunate if my PSU fried it because of malfunction.

    The PSU in question is Chieftec A-135 650W. Originally I built my machine in 2013, and it had an AMD FX-8350, Asus M95A2 (IIRC), nVidia GT 640 + Tesla C2070, 5x HDDs (Seagate CSs and WD Reds). About three years ago I upgraded to AMD Ryzen 5 2600, Asus X370 and nVidia GTX 1080Ti. Most of the time the machine was behind a UPS. I believe I haven't used more than 65% of the PSU's capacity ever.

    How to evaluate the state of the PSU? Is there any better ways than to look inside and visually check capacitors? Or should I replace it just because of age?

    submitted by /u/HealingPotatoJuice
    [link] [comments]

    Is the first word latency of RAM what to focus on?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:14 PM PDT

    From my understanding, is this the value that should be used to compare RAM performance on paper?

    Example, a 4000 MHz CL14 pair at 7ns versus a 5000 MHz CL18 pair coming in at 7.2ns first word latency.

    Is my understanding and generalization accurate? That one would focus on the lower frequency RAM being functionally faster at 7.0ns vs 7.2 of the higher frequency RAM.

    Edit: Realizing I think Im generalizing that latency is more important than bandwidth which is a poor assumption I presume. Back to the drawing board! ha

    submitted by /u/Boogetteri
    [link] [comments]

    Are these the same monitor?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 02:25 PM PDT

    Do I need to buy windows 10?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 02:00 PM PDT

    I'm looking to build a new PC and get windows 10 for it. But on the PC part picker website, windows 10 costs about 110 bucks.

    I've read that windows 10 is free on the windows website, but I can't find where on the website that is.

    Is there somewhere I can actually get windows 10 (LEGALLY) for free? Or does it actually cost 110 dollars to get it for a pc?

    submitted by /u/fakeyboifran
    [link] [comments]

    CPU's Operating Frequency vs Max Turbo Frequency

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 08:44 AM PDT

    What's the difference between processors, for example (Intel Core i5-11600K vs Intel Core i5-11500) where one of them has the Operating Frequency 3.9 GHz (Turbo 4.9 GHz) and the second has the Operating Frequency 2.7 GHz (Turbo 4.6 GHz)?

    What's the point to have Operating Frequency 3.9 GHz rather then 2.7 GHz where ultimately both processor's Max Turbo Frequency is very close?

    Which one should I choose and for what purpose?

    submitted by /u/trybik3
    [link] [comments]

    Computer keeps rebooting when put under stress, narrowed it down to two possible issues.

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 01:19 PM PDT

    Hey guys!

    My computer is all of a sudden shutting off whenever I presume is a high workload. I downloaded OCCT and noticed that my GPU voltage is hovering around 0.81 (I have a GTX 1060). Funny, as I was typing that my computer rebooted lol.

    Anyway, Event Viewer throws these errors:

    Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware. (This, but for all 12 processors)

    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. (Source: Kernel-Power) Event ID 41

    This leads me to believe that it is either the GPU that is finally throwing in the towel, or the PSU is throwing the towel. This is recent, and I have not added anything new to the PC in a year. Even if I did, I have a Gold rated PSU with 550 watts, so I should have enough for a 1060 and a couple RGB fans. I did notice that the HDMI connector for the 1060 does not like being moved, but I doubt that is part of the issue.

    Anyone have any idea what this issue might be?

    submitted by /u/WaffleBoi014
    [link] [comments]

    Help me decide between RTX 3070 ti and AMD 6800

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 03:07 AM PDT

    These are the two cards within my price range that I've been able to find. The 3070 ti is $40 more than the 6800. From tests I've seen on YouTube, 6800 performs better on games without ray tracing and 3070 ti is better with ray tracing games. I also noticed that the 6800 consumes less power but runs hotter. My biggest concern: I plan to keep this card for a long time. Which card is likely to last the longest?

    submitted by /u/Tricountyareashaman
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 9 5950x?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 04:32 AM PDT

    Hey y'all. I currently have a 470x plus Tuf gaming motherboard. I was wondering if this would work with the Ryzen 9 5950x? Or do I HAVE to upgrade to the 570x plus Tuf motherboard? I'm honestly a noob when it comes to building PCs. I got mine from digital storm🤭

    submitted by /u/WesternFirefighter5
    [link] [comments]

    I want to upgrade to a rtx 3060, I currently have a ryzen 5 2600, should I upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 or is the ryzen 5 2600 good enough?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:48 PM PDT

    I am downloading a file to my d drive folder. But Why My C / drive folder is increasing instead of D

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:38 PM PDT

    I am currently downloading a large file which is about 37 GB. I am very sure I chose the file location to my D drive but the problem is While the file is downloading, the C/ drive is increasing as the completed size. Why this is happening? The reason why I am very sure is that I canceled the first time downloading to make sure that I chose the right location and I redownloaded again but it is still the same problem. The main problem is my C / drive is only 120 SSD and I don't want to fill it up with some unnecessary files. Help me solve this one.

    submitted by /u/shujin_9pm
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming at 1080p on 4k monitor with GTX 770 2g (monitor: Dell S2721QS)

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    I want to upgrade to a 4k monitor to work in 4k environment, but game in 1080p since my ancient GPU cannot support anything more.

    If I settle for Dell S2721QS UHD monitor, would gaming at 1080p be alright? I read something about integer scaling in "modern" GPUs but not sure a 770 is considered modern.

    I haven't upgraded my build since I built it in 2014 but hope to upgrade soon :) thanks

    Build:
    i7 4770k
    GTX 770 2g (EVGA)
    32gb DDR3 RAM

    submitted by /u/oi-oi-saveloyy
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas on how to make this build better/cheaper?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VLrbmk

    Im building this for a friend, we already have a gpu for the time being, a old 1050 but itll work for the time being since this is really only going to be used for csgo. He is set on the case, and does not want to change it even though the airflow is a bit meh. I was wondering if anyone who is a bit more experienced with computers had some ideas on how to optimize it better. Thanks!

    Also the price range is at most 750 dollars not counting gpu.

    submitted by /u/stubbieee
    [link] [comments]

    First PC build

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 12:03 PM PDT

    Hello, after years of playing games on console and enjoying the fun of FPS games. I have decided I wanted to start the journey to build a pc! Most of the people who I play with have went the prebuilt way with the current state of the market for parts. But I decided to choose to try and learn something new and be able to build my own! My price range for parts isn't too much of a concern, as i want to invest in a amazing gaming experience and not have to worry about being outdated/ unable to keep up with the latest games for awhile!

    However I have slowly been acquiring parts and have a few I have already purchased! (will be listed below)

    -case: phantek Enthoo 719 ATX Full tower -psu: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold -RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 32GB (4x8GB/ I bought 2 of the 16GB ) DDR4-3200 CL 16 memory -cpu cooler: NZXT Krazen Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid cpu cooler

    I'm looking to buy these parts to go into the build/ open to suggestions!

    3080/ 3080ti graphics card Intel i9 10900k cpu (pretty hard set on this) Gigabyte z490 Aorus xtreme EATX LGA1200 motherboard (on pc part picker this specific mob flags with the case;/ case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 type A port, but the mob does not have sufficient usb 3.2 gen 1 headers. The case usb 3.2 gen 1 type a port will be usable.) I'm and super green to pc's and parts I'm not sure what this is saying and how big of a problem it will/ could be. If anyone could help me out with this I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    My primary need for this pc would be -gaming, spotify, discord, streaming, photo/ some video editing

    I'm also looking for some advice on which direction I should go for the rest of my parts and suggestions! Thank you all in advance for the help:)

    submitted by /u/WinterPerception5877
    [link] [comments]

    Do i need a new pc or just a graphics card?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 07:56 AM PDT

    This is what i have now, currently 4 years old. I dont really know enough about pc parts, but i want a high end gaming rig

    Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU

    Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Prosessor

    Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler

    MSI Z270 Tomahawk, Socket-1151

    HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

    HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

    MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition

    Samsung PM961 SSD 512GB M.2 NVMe

    Seagate Firecuda 2TB 3.5" SSHD

    submitted by /u/Lakadella
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you, buildapc!

    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 11:52 PM PDT

    During the last couple of weeks I have been reading a lot of the content of this sub and now I would like to thank you all for the great suggestions available in here!

    As it had been a while since my last time building a pc, I had actually paid for a pre-build from PCS. But after this sub, I canceled the order that was idle for like 1 month, and decided to build it on my own. Now, my build is up and running and I'm really happy with the outcomes.

    I went for the following parts:

    Asus TUF B550M Plus Wifi R5 5600X Asus TUF 3070TI OC (10€ difference from the non-Ti back in July here) Vengeance Pro RGB 32 GB 3600 MHz CL16 970 EVO Plus 2 TB MX500 1 TB Asus TUF LC 240 RGB Aio RM850x (for a more power hungry GPU in the mid term) Corsair PSU Sleeved cables starter kit 2x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.Black 2x Corsair Ll120 Corsair 280x RGB + Commander Pro

    That thing is a lil' beast and I am very pleased with it. I intend to use it for gaming and general office work with some light math. Previously I had a MSI laptop with an i7 6820HK and a 1070 that served me well for the last 4 years. But with the remaster of Diablo 2 around the corner and as I am now writing my PhD thesis, I felt I should gift myself a bit.

    So, once again thanks a lot and keep up with the great work, my dudes!

    submitted by /u/amo-br
    [link] [comments]

    Dont be like me, dont let yourself get scammed

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 05:29 AM PDT

    So a week or so ago, right before BTC took off again I sold my 5700xt and had intended to side trade it for a 6700xt or even a 6600xt.

    I found a 6600xt on sale on facebook market place for 480, which they were normally going for 650. I was stoked, sent a message it was stilla available.

    He wanted local pick up but offered shipping since I was in Nashville and he in Knoxville.

    He sent me an "offer" in the same chat for the card that included shipping costs. I didnt realize this bypassed the marketplace because it was an "offer" for the card under the same chat the seller and I had opened on marketplace.

    Two days later he stopped responding to my messages and it has now been three days with no response.

    At this point I got scammed. I walked into it. I deserve it I guess.

    Dont be like me, stuck without a GPU with no hope for replacement.

    I think it goes without saying that I am very upset. I may just sell the rest of my components and give up the whole gaming deal at this point.

    submitted by /u/TheonsDickInABox
    [link] [comments]

    5600g build MB suggestions

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 11:16 AM PDT

    Building another budget PC, this time without a GPU for now. I already ordered a 5600g and it is on its way in the mail along with several other components. Was thinking about the 5700g, but im content with the 5600g. It is a microATX build, so far with these components: Case: White Lian Li Lancool 205M microATX Ram: 4 8GB (32gb) OLOy Warhawk Aura SYNC RGB 3600MHz PSU: Montech Gamma 2 Gold 750w Japanese Capacitors Storage: 1TB Sabrent NVME with Sabrent Rocket Heatsink, 1TB Samsung 870 Sata SSD, 4TB Maxdigital CMR HDD CPU heatsink: Noctua NH-D15S Chromax Black Fans: EZDIY-FAB White Moonlight 120mm RGB Case Fan with HUB X and remote, Pack of 5. Other: GIM KB-14 RGB Bar Im looking for a B550 microATX motherboard that works out of the box for Ryzen 5600g. I'm not in a rush to build this PC even though I have nearly all the components. Maybe a Gigabyte Auros PRO, or MSI MAG MORTAR, or should I wait until the boards come with their own update, or have a flashback button? I never did a motherboard update.

    submitted by /u/Yggdrasill4
    [link] [comments]

    AOC CQ32G2S |||V.S.||| MSI Optix MAG322CQR

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 11:14 AM PDT

    Which wins?

    submitted by /u/SpencerMeow
    [link] [comments]

    Can Pcpartpicker be wrong sometimes?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 03:42 AM PDT

    So,

    I'm making a build for Christmas with the B450 Tomahawk max and a corsair 4000D. on amazon, the b450 is listed with having a usbc but it says on ppc that it won't work with the corsair 4000D. Is that wrong or does it mean something different?

    PC part picker link

    B450 Tomahawk Max link

    submitted by /u/New-Lawfulness-6912
    [link] [comments]

    Can I afford some good, long lasting peripherals with $400?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    I just spent 2k on my second pc that I hope will last a while. The cpu is a Ryzen 7 5700g, paired with an rtx 3060ti. I need a monitor or two (I'm perfectly fine with just one though), as well as a mouse and keyboard. I could also use new headphones but I don't think they'd fit in my budget. Can I purchase the peripherals I need with $400? And if so, where would I go about doing that?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Ameliagonemad
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment