• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 29, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 29, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 29, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 29, 2021

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the Use of More than 1 Monitor?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 06:24 AM PDT

    GPU sag caused hourly crashing with system. Get your Legos, figurines, or ham sandwich and prop that GPU up.

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 07:36 PM PDT

    My PC started crashing randomly. No clue what caused it. Happened with a new drive/OS, so I knew it wasn't Windows related. Took the GPU out to reseat it and realized two things: My 970 was overheating AND simply pushing up on it slightly while in the PCI slot showed there was well over one-two inches of movement.

    Applied new thermal paste thinking I found the issue, but no luck. PC still kept crashing. Except now when it would crash, 50% of the time I would only lose video.

    Remembered that sagging issue and thought "maybe some of the connections in the PCI lane are not making contact due to extreme sag."

    Ever since I propped it up not even crash.

    Specs, FWIW: Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 970, ASUS TUF B450M PRO. (Not sure if it is ASUS' fault or not. I have never had this happen with any other setup)

    TL;DR: DONT LET YOUR GPU SAG. THE STRAIN CAN/WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS.

    submitted by /u/MyThrowawayThyme
    [link] [comments]

    How to clone C: Drive as its full

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 03:41 AM PDT

    I have an 128GB SSD as my C drive (as well as a secondary drive for applications and data and stuff) but this C drive is now full. I have a 256GB SSD i'd like to replace it with without reinstalling windows. Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/jumbledFox
    [link] [comments]

    Never underestimate a SATA cable with a clip

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 03:06 PM PDT

    I have been using a SATA cable for the past year, salvaged from my old build, to accomodate a new build and the SSD. Man, do not underestimate the effect one can have on your system. Without a clip on it, the old cable was more or less free hanging and gave me the anxieties worrying about it falling out. Just got a new set of cables with clips on them and the sturdiness is just so relieving. So NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE QUALITY OF A SATA CABLE WITH CLIPS

    Edit: it is clear that some here do not understand the worth of an opinion post. I have had a good experience with clips, some have not, and that is to be expected. Not everyone will have a great experience, many won't even have a good experience. But, they worked out well for me and have saved a lot of headaches with my build. So these comments saying "what a stupid post" maybe consider reevaluating your post. Share your experience, I'd love to hear about it.

    submitted by /u/FloriLucem
    [link] [comments]

    10850k vs 5600 or 5800

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 09:25 AM PDT

    So the 10850 is on sale for 320 right now and I'm heavily leaving to getting that paired with a z490 Msi tomahawk mb from micro center. Looking for a good cpu to pair with my 3080FE, and although gaming is a big part of the build want good multitasking and some heavy photo editing and light video editing, as well as streaming potential. Besides pcie 4 is there any drawback with going the 10850 /z490 option? Any reason to get the z590, or is there a better 490 mb I should consider?

    submitted by /u/-vDz-
    [link] [comments]

    Instead of RGB lighting, has anyone ever decorated their PC case with trains?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    I know, I know- if RGB is ridiculous, trains would be absurd. But has anyone ever incorporated something like a small, Z-scale train set into their computer case?

    I think it'd be delightfully useless to see a little train set whizzing around in there.

    submitted by /u/WillieM96
    [link] [comments]

    PSU Upgrade Question - upgrading from 750W to 1200W

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 07:08 AM PDT

    Hey guys, it's been a long while since I build my own PC, or upgrading it on my own, so I want to get some questions answered before I move ahead (starting with the PSU). I would say that I'm not new to PC building, so I do understand some stuff (some of it is likely outdated knowledge/experience), but I tend to do a lot of research.

    After making a list of all the upgrades I want to do for my custom workstation (bought it in April from a local boutique SI), I'm ready to start a gradual upgrade of my system. I will eventually be upgrading my GPU, Motherboard, CPU between now till the end of the year (likely will get those items on a monthly basis and then upgrading them as I go). And yes, chances are, I will be upgrading more stuff in the near future (which is next year).

    I've done the usual calculation in terms of wattage and narrowed it down to using a 1200W PSU. I currently already have a Corsair 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU. When I'm upgrading to a new PSU, say a Corsair HX1200, do I need to replace those cables (to the motherboard, PCIe, Sata power), or can I simply use the same cables that already come with the 750W PSU?

    I figured the 1200W PSU will be good enough for the upgrades in the immediate future and I won't have to upgrade it for some time.

    submitted by /u/steamhyperpolyglot
    [link] [comments]

    RMA'd my RAM kit (2 sticks) and received two individually packaged sticks in return, is that alright?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:26 AM PDT

    I RMA'd a Ballistix 2x32GB kit and received two separate 32GB sticks, individually packaged. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that RAM kits are tested together, and that buying individual sticks isn't a good idea. Is this true or does it not matter if both sticks are the same model?

    submitted by /u/djangomango
    [link] [comments]

    New monitor won't display 144hz

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 08:25 AM PDT

    I bought a electriq monitor that's supposed to be 144hz refresh rate because I'm building a pc and plugged it in and everything, went into the advanced display options and I can't go above 50hz. I know it's a 144hz monitor because it's gotten a lot of good reviews but I can't get mine to do that. Can anyone help me? The monitor is "electriq 34 inch curved qled monitor" and its advertised as 144hz

    submitted by /u/uverybiggay
    [link] [comments]

    Here's one for you, how can a desktop PC have a GTX 3060 in it and it's the size of a child's forearm but a laptop can have a GTX 3060 in it but it's not thin as Kate Moss?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 08:46 AM PDT

    I just don't understand it because I'm a bit of an idiot lol is it less powerful? If so why has it got the same name? To an idiot like me I assume I'm getting the same graphics power.

    submitted by /u/MercBat
    [link] [comments]

    CPU cooler slightly pressing against RAM modules. Is this okay?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:09 PM PDT

    I just upgraded my CPU's liquid cooling to a dual fan model and the fan case is pressing against the RAM ever so slightly. I'm not able to slide a piece of paper between the two but I don't think this is exerting enough pressure to cause an issue, right? Thanks for the help :)

    Here's an image.

    submitted by /u/LateNightShenanigans
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally touched my CPU’s cooler with thermal past already applied

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    Hello, so I just got a new cpu core i5-6500 and I am new, but when I grabbed the cooler I didn't notice the thermal paste and it got smudged, so will I have to replace it?

    submitted by /u/Secret_Dingo_7068
    [link] [comments]

    My PC is tripping circuit breakers(MCB) immediately after turning on what could be a possible solution ?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 10:46 AM PDT

    I turned on my pc after a few days and this happened possibly a faulty psu any solution will be of great help

    submitted by /u/totomrexy
    [link] [comments]

    3070 Underperforming?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 06:07 AM PDT

    I built my PC a few months ago and never really considered it's performance to be sub-par until comparing it to friends with lower GPU's. I just wondered if my PC is performing as expected or if there is some underlying issue?

    My Heaven benchmark on Ultra (1080, fullscreen): Score - 3407, FPS 135.3

    PC Specs:

    Gigabye VISION OC 3070

    Ryzen 5 3600

    16gb RAM (3200)

    B450 Tomahawk Max

    Any tips, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/YikesTHO_
    [link] [comments]

    Whenever I plug in my Ethernet cord I lose internet...

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 10:53 AM PDT

    I have a PC i built a while ago. Now whenever I plug in ethernet the internet dies. Wifi with my usb adapter still works. What can cause this? I already tried deleting the intel ethernet adapter and reinstalling it, and that didn't fix it. What else can I do to try to fix it?

    submitted by /u/coremulti
    [link] [comments]

    Mic problems

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 12:21 PM PDT

    So I have a head set when I plug it into audio the sound works but the mic doesn't but when I plug it in the mic spot the mic works but not the audio. Can you help me fix it

    submitted by /u/Weary_Lawyer5442
    [link] [comments]

    Sudden Boot Time Increase to 3-5min from <30sec on 1yo Windows 10 Build (many solutions already tried)

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    Problem:

    PC used to boot fine. As of a couple months ago I get a black screen on boot for a full minute or two, then the MSI bios splash screen sits for an additional 2-3 minutes with the spinning loading bar thing. I didn't notably update or change anything with the build that I can trace the onset of this delay to (I often don't restart or shut down my computer for weeks at a time).

    I only first noticed the problem because if I leave my TV plugged into the computer (I use two monitors + a TV when I sit on the couch), when I go to wake the computer all my screens light up but they are just black. Nothing on them. I have to hard reset the computer to get back to windows, usually with the TV unplugged, and that reset takes A WHILE. Sometimes I have to hard reset it multiple times. So I've taken to just unplugging my TV before letting the computer sleep.

    What I've done:

    So far I've uninstalled and reinstalled many drivers, updated windows, messed around with power settings (fast startup, disable hibernation, changing performance plan, all that kinda stuff), SFC finds no problems. Diagnostics on all components seem good, though I haven't tested the power supply (750w). I've honestly tried dozens of help guides I just can't remember all the steps I've tried off the top of my head. At this point it probably would have been easier to reinstall windows, but I'm stubborn. I tried to mess around with the boot order in BIOS, but I'm not sure if I'm doing what I think I'm doing correctly as I don't know much about using BIOS in general or optimal boot orders.

    Some interesting complications:

    1. DISM has some sort of failure. I can't remember exactly what happened but it wouldn't run unless I did some sort of restart, which leads to:
    2. Any sort of "targeted" restart leads to either boot failure OR an initial windows setup screen, as if it had just been installed. I always hard reset at this point because I'm scared of proceeding and wiping the drive. This also applies notably to:
    3. Windows Performance Recorder Boot Trace does not work. When it asks to restart I arrive at the issue described in (2).
    4. I am not a regular user of Event Viewer, but I seem to have a lot of error/cautionary events. I've googled several of them but none of them have definitive "this is what is causing that" explanations.

    Sorry I know that's a lot. This is sort of a last ditch effort before I say screw it and start messing with changing hard drives/windows installations. Please let me know if there's anything useful I left out.

    submitted by /u/perceptionsofdoor
    [link] [comments]

    Setting Fan Curve with New Case & AIO

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:29 PM PDT

    Recently completed my newest build, and am looking for guidance on how to properly set my fan curves.

    My build is inside a Lian Li PO-011 Dynamic and utilizes nine fans in total.

    I have three ML120 Fans mounted on the side, and three on the bottom as intake and three mounted at the top, strapped to a Corsair H150i AIO Cooler as exhaust

    Currently, all my fans are controlled via iCUE.

    • The three radiator exhaust fans just utilize the balanced setting via iCUE

    • The six intake fans on the case are set based on the CPU package temperature, and I've tried to make a custom curve for them, ramping up from 20C at 600 RPM and slowly ramping up to 2000 RPM at 70C (max fan rpm is 2400) image of fan curve here

    This prompts a couple of questions I'm curious on:

    1. Should my fan curves match all the fans within the case, regardless if they're intake/exhaust, or attached to a radiator?
    2. Should they all be based off the same temperature indicator? Or should the AIO be based on pump temp and the other fans be based on something different

    Appreciate any insight you can share

    submitted by /u/Aervaria
    [link] [comments]

    Asus TUF 3080 OC fan seems defective - left fan (closet to PC I/O ports) very loud

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:25 PM PDT

    Recently, I noticed my PC is much louder than usual when idle. After taking a closer look, it's the left fan on my Asus TUF 3080 OC that is very loud. When i stop the left most fan (the fan closest to the IO ports) from spinning, the noise goes away, as the other fan (the fan on the right) barely makes any noise.

    Anyone else run into this? Is the left most fan supposed to be much louder than the fan on the right? I don't remember being able to hear any of the GPU fans while idle when I first installed the card.

    How do I go about replacing the fan if it is indeed a fan issue? I've had the card since November 2020.

    See below audio of both fans running while PC is idle, and after i stop the one "noisy" fan from running.

    https://streamable.com/8rpaws

    Edit: well, i'm quite the idiot. I had my GPU support bracket/holder clamped to the third fan on the right, so the other fan was working overtime. Christ, it's been like that for a few months now :(, hopefully I didn't damage the GPU too badly :/.

    submitted by /u/Dwoskeezy
    [link] [comments]

    just did a bios update and installed a new cpu now all games not on my boot drive are uninstalled what happened?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    Ok anyone with a similar problem I found the solution my D drive was made into E drive and my E drive was made into F drive

    submitted by /u/ijustshityourpants
    [link] [comments]

    CPU/MOBO upgrade time (I think). Looking for advice.

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:45 AM PDT

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    USA

    PCPartPicker Part List

    Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $215.00 @ Amazon
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard -
    Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $86.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
    Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card -
    Case NZXT Phantom 530 ATX Full Tower Case -
    Power Supply EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $111.67 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $453.65
    Mail-in rebates -$15.00
    Total $438.65
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-29 14:10 EDT-0400

    This is my current rig. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm starting to feel like CPU is my biggest bottleneck. Everything else in there has been upgraded at some point but the MOBO doesn't support newer CPUs so I've had that one for a looong time. I noticed stuttering in a game recently and bought that RAM (up from 2x4G@2666) only to find out the CPU doesn't support 3200MHz RAM so I had to turn off XMP.

    I use the computer mostly for gaming. I'm looking for max settings @1080p@144hz and I have a Valve Index to feed. I know "Max" graphics in VR is pretty unreasonable so I'm not worried about that, but I think VR puts a load on the CPU as well.

    I'm not going to upgrade the graphics card yet. It's just a horrible time to do that. If it becomes my new bottleneck I can live with that.

    Here's what I'm asking:

    • I'm generally looking for a confirmation or rebuttal that my CPU is the bottleneck at this point, and whether replacing it now (and the motherboard) is a good idea. If so, I've been told a Ryzen 9 5900X is what I should go for. Since everything but the CPU/MOBO is easy to replace, I'm willing to pay to not have to upgrade them again for as long as possible.
    • I'm not sure what MOBOs to consider other than that I need compatibility with my chosen CPU. I'd want something sturdy and easy to work with for the rebuild and maybe a BIOS that's friendly for OCing down the line?
    • I'm open to a fan upgrade to liquid cooling. The EVO 212 is a beast but IIRC installing it was a pain, it takes up a ton of room, and every time I move my tower I'm half-worried a bad bump is going to rip that weight right off.
    • As long as I have to replace my MOBO it's the best time to get a new case. I love my NZXT Phantom 530 but parts of it were made with plastic and they have discolored over the years while the metal has remained white. If I replace it I still want something spacious (for airflow and ease of working in), windowed, and white (apparently not plastic). Any tips or suggestions?
    • Would I notice the difference between 16 and 32G RAM for my uses? Would it be worth it to get a second pair of those sticks?

    If I'm breaking any rules (I read them I swear!) or missing any info please let me know and I'll edit accordingly

    Thanks, helpful folk!

    submitted by /u/Space-Robot
    [link] [comments]

    Nitro XZ273U Xbmiiphx XZ3 not sure if this VA monitor will work for gaming

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 01:51 PM PDT

    Confused just a little, because I normally use IPS monitors for gaming. And I picked this up last night and played Battlefield 5 for an hour. Holy Cow, high FPS with the 240Hz monitor.

    I also feel dumb I didn't see it was a VA panel monitor (Known for - VA panels do have the best contrast ratios of all panel types mentioned, but they also have the worst response times of the monitor technologies). And I didn't see it was curved. I wonder if the salesman brought up the wrong monitor, it did have a little bit of the description different from what I was looking at on the webpage. It did not say XZ3.

    The curved I can live with, however I am not sure about the VA panel.

    On MC's sight is states ( Response Time 0.5ms) Is that the same as when you see on websites that review monitors stated VA panel monitors don't have good response time?

    https://www.microcenter.com/product/637720/acer-nitro-xz273u-xbmiiphx-27-wqhd-240hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr-curved-led-monitor

    submitted by /u/masterchither
    [link] [comments]

    New Build won’t boot

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 01:47 PM PDT

    Helping my friend build his new pc and ran into an issue while setting it all up. The EZ debug CPU light flashes twice when you press the power button and nothing happens, just twitches as seen in this video. Apart from the twitch absolutely nothing else happens. Tried booting out of the box and with nothing connected apart from cpu power+fans and 24 pin connected as you can see in the video but having no luck. There is also no light on the motherboard at all to signal that is has power when the 24 pin is plugged in. Could it be a faulty motherboard?

    Specs:

    I7-10700KF

    MSI Z490-A Pro

    2x8GB Corsair vengeance LPX @3200

    RTX 2060 6GB

    I have also tested the power supply in his old PC and it powered on just fine so I don't think that is the issue.

    submitted by /u/MastarQueef
    [link] [comments]

    Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 01:39 PM PDT

    New builder, I got this on my build and I am not sure what this really means, and if I should be worried?

    Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z2nFj2

    submitted by /u/Kardzx
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good build?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:22 AM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kTjKwz

    I am going to be using this mainly for gaming, vr gaming, and a I am planning on overclocking the cpu, and mabye the gpu.

    submitted by /u/GenericPC48328
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment