• Breaking News

    Monday, July 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 26, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 26, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 26, 2021

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I might not be around too much longer

    Posted: 25 Jul 2021 07:37 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit!
    So, I might not be around too much longer, I won't get into detail here, but, my plan is for my computer to go to my oldest child when I'm gone, I have a best friend who is not too tech savvy, but, I can trust that they will follow an instruction to run a simple command for me when I'm gone.
    This command would be to clear all HDD's except the C: and it would function as a simple .bat file on the desktop.
    As I have no understanding of the CMD could anyone give me advice on how to clear all the drives on my pc from a simple .bat?
    Currently I have 4 drives " D E F and G"

    I would like to leave simple instructions for them to double click and hit enter to clear said drives. There's nothing nasty on said drives, nor am I trying to hide anything, just a simple case of my 10Yo being able to log onto my PC and have a nice 7TB free space for their usage + access to any games I currently have installed.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    OP. Armitage

    submitted by /u/OperationArmitage
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading my pc, out of the loop

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 07:35 AM PDT

    Current pc (germany)

    • X470 MSI Gaming Pro
    • 16GB 3200mhz g skill ripjaws
    • 700 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 CM Modular 80+ Gold
    • 11GB INNO3D GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, stock cooler
    • 144hz monitor 1920x1080

    I would like to upgrade my pc to get more fps on valorant, I want to buy a 240hz monitor. I currently get around 200 fps in valorant. I thought about getting a rtx 3070 ti and a ryzen 7 5800x, both should be compatible with my current system? Do I need to upgrade my PSU or my motherboard? Is this worth a upgrade, hows price performance?

    EDIT. I noticed my GPU is only running on 1480mhz while I game, thats why I only have around 200 fps, how do I fix this? I already put the power settings on the nvidia panel to max performance

    Thanks anyways,

    submitted by /u/Fantastic_Animal_170
    [link] [comments]

    Cigarette smell in New PC

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 12:33 PM PDT

    I recently bought a PC new from Mercari. I inspected all the components and everything looks new and performs perfectly. There isn't even any dust anywhere in it. However, there is a cigereete smell. I contacted the seller and he said that his house smells like cigarettes and he had one while building it. Will the smell go away or should I return it (I have 3 days).

    submitted by /u/Aidanxd14
    [link] [comments]

    How many fans can I connect to one header?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 07:14 AM PDT

    I have budget Mobo with only one PWM header. My case have built in HUB for 4 fans out of one header which Im using with Corona HP RGB 120 mm (they were preinstalled in case). Their amperage is 0.20 (so 0.80 for all) which is under 1A these headers have.

    I was slowly falling in love with Noctua fans, because of good reviews from all over the internet. But Im kind of confused about their amperage.

    NOCTUA NF-F12 according to their website have 0,05 A which is much lower than what I have now and I dont believe these two (0,20 and 0,05) are values for same thing.

    Can someone bring more light into this?

    submitted by /u/JoeInRubber
    [link] [comments]

    Currently locked in the “Automatic Repair” loop on my PC, anyone know how to help?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    So originally my wifi wasn't working. So I stupidly followed this YouTube video which recommended I do a network reset

    I did not uninstall the network device as the video lays out before attempting the network reset.

    Now I am stuck in the Automatic Repair loop and can't get into my PC. Help!!

    submitted by /u/Dr_Booyah
    [link] [comments]

    Just built a new pc with intelcore i7 11700k and need to set some safe temps

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 10:42 AM PDT

    So im looking around abit in my settings for my cooler to the cpu and by default it shuts down the computer within 70 c. So i raised it to 100 c, what are safe for the cpu before it starts taking damage? My water cooling system is a corsair H100I Elite capellix, i also set the fans to quiet and the liquid is also on quiet, give me some ideas what i should set my settings to

    submitted by /u/yeinzy
    [link] [comments]

    CPU reaches 85°C on 10 Minute Cinebench run

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 05:35 AM PDT

    Hello, I have a question regarding CPU temps. I do know that 85°C can be normal for a sustained all core load but I was wondering if it is normal with my configuration. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 (no OC), which is a 65W TDP processor and I am cooling it with a bequiet Dark Rock 3 which is (according to the spec sheet) a 190W TDP cooler. I kinda thought my CPU would max out in the low 70s but the temps went way out of my comfort zone. I recently deep cleaned my PC and applied new thermal paste. My idle temps are 45°C-50°C which is okay, but it could be lower imo.

    My case is a bequiet Pure Base 600. It doesn't have the greatest airflow but I have 7 fans in it total so I thought this would be fine.

    So, is this expected behaviour or is there something wrong?

    Edit: turns out I missed the air gaps in the front cover when cleaning my PC. Dust was collecting there and restricted the airflow too much. Now that I cleaned it I get temps of max 78°C after a 10 minute Cinebench run. Still warm but acceptable ✌️

    submitted by /u/julius1504
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP - New pc keeps crashing, then rebooting

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 12:09 PM PDT

    Hello. I recently built a new pc, not even a month old. Everthing seemed to work perfectly at the beginning, but after a week or so I started to get random black screens then my pc proceeds to reboot itself. I first encountered the black screen while playing Warzone, here is a step by step what happens:

    *Disclaimer* The pc only crashes while under heavy load, only happened while playing games.

    Screen all of a sudden goes black, not completely, looks like a pixelated graphics glitch. After this the pc reboots itself and everything is back to normal. (when pc crash the VGA light on my motherboard starts flashing red, after reboot it disappears.

    While playing games I have recorded temperatures on both cpu and gpu, everything reads normal.

    GPU TEMP: 50-60

    CPU TEMP: Around 70 at its peak, when this occurs all fans starts to ramp up, indicating they respond to higher temps.

    Things I have tried so far:

    - Updated all drivers

    - Searched for corrupted files, deleted corrupted files etc.

    PC Specs:

    • Lian-Li o11 mini
    • Ryzen 5 5600x
    • Asus RTX 3060 Rog Strix
    • Corsair vengeance 32gb 3600mhz
    • Lian-Li Galahad 240 AIO
    • 9x SL120 unifan
    • Corsair sf750 platinum PSU
    • Asus Rog X-570E strix
    • Cable mod extensions

    Thank you for all answers :)

    (ps: English is not my main language)

    submitted by /u/Ok-Courage9792
    [link] [comments]

    Help On Gaming Monitors!!

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 11:55 AM PDT

    Trying to find a gaming monitor that's below $500 with a 1440p and a 144 hz.. I've watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of articles and I'm stuck! I can't tell if ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K HDR Curved Monitor is good. Anyone got better recommendations??

    submitted by /u/zubwubpub
    [link] [comments]

    Best thing to upgrade in my pc?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 01:50 PM PDT

    If I can upgrade only ONE thing in my pc, which one should it, what should I upgrade it to, and why?

    CPU : Core i5 9400F

    Motherboard: H310M S2H 2.0

    GPU : Nvidia RTX 2060

    submitted by /u/omarlink
    [link] [comments]

    Are Noctua coolers good?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 01:39 PM PDT

    Specifically I am interested in the NH-U12S.

    submitted by /u/TheDiamond_Ore
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade CPU from i5 6400

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to bring my old gaming rig back from the dead and looking to upgrade the CPU to catch up. Right now games like CoD:Warzone and Apex Legends just aren't having it and New World could barely break 1-2fps. Trying to focus on 1440p res.

    What would be a good CPU to pair with a 3060 in the sub $200 price range. Right now I'm looking at the i5 10400f since it looks like a good deal at $140. However, it does look like I'll need to change my mobo so I'm not against the idea of going AMD. Thoughts?

    CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz

    RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz

    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G11CD (LGA1151)

    Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (EVGA)

    submitted by /u/CBusRiver
    [link] [comments]

    is Unplugging or Plugging an ethernet Cable while the PC is running bad ?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 11:21 AM PDT

    Can it damage anything inside my PC ?

    submitted by /u/loorana22
    [link] [comments]

    Does SSD speed matter for gaming?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    I have two HDD's as of right now and on my primary HDD (2TB) I have Windows 10 installed along with all my games and on my second HDD (1TB) I just back up photos and videos that would normally take space on my primary. I am suffering from stutters in most games and monitoring through task manager I see my HDD spike up to 100% every time it happens. So I think that might be the culprit.

    What I'm thinking of doing is moving to an SSD since it'll make Windows boot faster and games load faster but do read and write speed matter for gaming and help with stutters? If so what's a good read/write speed and capacity for an SSD? Should I install my games and Windows 10 on my SSD? Or just the OS? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Not-Cynical
    [link] [comments]

    2070 or 5700xt

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    Looking for a gpu both are same price in my area which one would be best for gaming.

    submitted by /u/Meowsab123
    [link] [comments]

    Plz Help! Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB write speed dropped to 50% (From 3333 to 1500 MB/s), How to fix it?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 07:29 AM PDT

    I had got my brand new PC 3 weeks ago. I had checked the Read/write speed in the Samsung magician software. It was as mentioned, Read- 3565, Write- 3333.

    2 weeks later, after using my PC for work, playing games, etc. I just checked the read-write speed again in Samsung magician software. Read speed was fine, but write speed was down to 50%. (From 3333 to 1500 MB/s).

    submitted by /u/aftab8899
    [link] [comments]

    Corsair RM850x PSU good enough for RTX 3090?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 01:12 PM PDT

    I was wondering if the Corsair RM850x is good enough for the RTX 3090, and if there are any better options?

    submitted by /u/123sked
    [link] [comments]

    Used GPU's on Ebay

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 10:51 AM PDT

    Just wondering right now, I am well aware everything is OP as hell, but I was just wanting a general consensus for my friend who is building a computer which is the best bang for his buck around the $400-450 range. Any input is appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Indystbn11
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading my graphics card? Gaming PC help.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 07:59 AM PDT

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

    MOBO: ASRock B450M Pro4

    GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

    Storage: HP SSD EX920 512GB

    Memory: 32 GB (can't remember or find what brand)

    PSU: EVGA 750W

    Case: MasterBox NR400

    I've been wanting better gaming performance, so do you think upgrading my GPU would be a good choice? If so, what should I get?

    submitted by /u/tomato_emoji
    [link] [comments]

    stupid questions from a newbie (pc upgrades)

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 09:08 AM PDT

    So apperently like every other person alive rn im thinking of upgrading my pc (dispite the high prices rn). Im currenting looking for a new graphics card to properly run 144Hz at 1440.

    My current pc components are:

    CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F

    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super)

    SSD: Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB

    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018)

    RAM: HyperX Fury 2666 C16 2x8GB

    MBD: Gigabyte GA-B365 M AORUS ELITE-CF

    I was thinking of purchasing a Asrock Radeon RX 6700 XT Phantom Gaming D OC 12GB Graphics Card

    Would this be compatible with my current set-up? or would it be just overkill without upgrading everything else aswell?

    I'm just looking for something that is an above average performer but nothing too insane.

    submitted by /u/Weak_Strength_
    [link] [comments]

    RTX 3080 memory temps reaching 100° C when gaming, are these acceptable temps?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 07:41 AM PDT

    I was playing Hitman yesterday and was monitoring my GPU temps. Core temp was perfectly fine but under memory temps it was ranging from 95-100. Is this normal for a 3080/is it within the normal operating temperatures of GDDR6?

    submitted by /u/merigouldi
    [link] [comments]

    dying GPU

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 12:23 PM PDT

    currently running a 6 year old MSI GTX 970 graphics card

    I'm almost certain it's on its last leg, any tips for prolonging it's life? reapplying thermal paste later today

    submitted by /u/fusionmeister
    [link] [comments]

    Curved monitor question for 1080p gaming

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 12:20 PM PDT

    I am looking for advice on a nice curved monitor somewhere between 27-34 inches. Only use 1080p and has to have 144hz and adaptive sync of some kind. I have a budget of $400.

    Now my only concerns are that I hear VARIOUS different requirements for curved monitors. I've heard that anything under 32 inches is a waste for curved, I also heard that at 1080p you will notice pixels etc. Any ideas on what monitors would fit my criteria or any ideal requirements when choosing a curved monitor for 144hz 1080p gaming would greatly be appreciated!

    **I am currently rocking a Ryzen 2600x + GTX 1070 pc setup.

    **The monitor I am checking out is the Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor

    submitted by /u/Kizmetix
    [link] [comments]

    Ram only hits 2666 even after xmp

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 10:02 AM PDT

    I have 1 stick of 3200mhz 8gb ram (yes I'm dumb for getting only one stick)

    When out into a b365 mobo with a 9400, it only runs at 2666, there's no option to change the frequency. It's either xmp off or xmp on, and with it on it says dram frequency is auto at 2667

    When I put it into a b450 mobo with a 3600 it runs at 3200mhz

    Is this because the b365 and the 9400 only support up to 2666? I thought it was possible to use higher frequency ram even though the cpu only supports a low speed. Or is that only possible with a higher end motherboard.

    Is there any way for me to get that stick to run at 3200mhz?

    submitted by /u/dackpack1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment