• Breaking News

    Friday, July 16, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 16, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - July 16, 2021


    Simple Questions - July 16, 2021

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How we got and built our $350 (suprisingly good) gaming PC

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:29 AM PDT

    So my son and I helped his friend source parts for, and build, a gaming PC.

    First off, we asked around locally and got the following donated by neighbors and people in his area (all of them not using the parts and happy to get rid of them)

    • Hitech 500w PSU - non-modular, looked like Spyder with more molex connectors than the molex factory - but it works
    • 500GB & 1TB HDs - nobody wants even 1TB drives now
    • 128GB & 256GB SSDs - these are now just thrown away!
    • Various SATA, splitter and USB cables
    • 16GB (8x2) 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM
    • 2 Silverstone PWM fans
    • Keyboard & mouse (old, dusty, and very unstylish, but work)

    We then sourced from local adverts (eBay and FB - but all local who we could go and see the parts before buying):

    • Phantek Case with 3 PWM fans - $45
    • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler - $20
    • Intel i7 6700 & z170 Mobo - $80 (the bargain of the day)
    • 980ti GPU - $200

    We got offered a 2070s for $400, but that was stretching the budget too far.

    All works just fine gaming at 1080p, he is very very happy with it.

    For all of you out there wanting to do it on a low budget, it is possible - ask around, put adverts up, be persistent and determined.

    ... and as a parent, let your kid do the talking (just stand behind and smile), people want to help a nice respectful kid who is desperate...

    EDIT: forgot we got two SSDs for free.

    submitted by /u/Badevilbunny
    [link] [comments]

    Dekstop won't boot up after case swap

    Posted: 15 Jul 2021 10:52 AM PDT

    Hi guys, as title state after swapping the case for a Dark Base 900 I tried to boot up and it did, then I went to cable manage, mount everything else back and now it doesn't show sign of life, no leds or light, I don't even know where to start honestly I've been at this all day. Here's a picture.

    SOLVED

    submitted by /u/kidstuey
    [link] [comments]

    Update on my pc that didn't turn on after a power outage

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 07:00 AM PDT

    Almost 3 weeks ago I made a post about my pc not turning on after a power outage.

    I took it to the shop today as lockdown has been lifted. They used another power supply but it didn't boot. Then they took apart everything and put them back together and apparently it started working again (with the new psu ofcourse). So yeah only the psu was the dead part and replacing it fixed the issue. I'm honestly relieved about it as I was worried my gpu/mobo /cpu may have been fried. I also got a UPS this time.

    I wanted to post an update about it incase someone else is having the same issue. Doing the steps above fixed it for me, then again it could be different for others.

    Tldr; replacing psu, taking apart everything and putting them back together fixed the issue for me.

    submitted by /u/Safx5000
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like im going insane: I have so many cables with USB type C connectors but I don’t know what protocol they follow?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 10:32 AM PDT

    How did this happen? Is it just me or is this insanity? How can one connector standard be adopted by so many different protocols but no mandatory clear labeling. Som market their cables as ex: "USB 3.1 gen 1" and some "USB 3.1". Then there is Thunderbolt 4 and 3. Are those cables the same.

    I just want to pick up a cable. Look at it and know what its for. Is that even possible? If not is there a cable tester that you can buy?

    From experience i use trial and error and eventually it works but it shouldn't have to be like that.

    I really hope im insane and someone can just tell me that I missed some detalil and that its actually pretty simple.

    submitted by /u/pure_x01
    [link] [comments]

    Ways to clean dust out of a PC case

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    Besides using compressed air to clean the dust out a PC case, what other options are there?

    Serious answers please. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/lunchbox27_3
    [link] [comments]

    Good pc case recommendations?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:29 PM PDT

    I saw that the lancool 215 was good for the $70 price however here in the uk it cost £76 ($108)

    Are there any other better value cases are is it still worth going for this one?

    submitted by /u/pastaisverytasty
    [link] [comments]

    Pc help

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:18 PM PDT

    I just built my pc after getting some new parts and when I try to download something my network is capped at around 10 mbps Task Manager

    submitted by /u/FleepMeep
    [link] [comments]

    Best CPU to pair with an RX 580

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:40 AM PDT

    I have an RX 580 and want to get a better CPU, I currently have an FX-9590 with a bad core. Whats the best AMD CPU I can get right now that wouldn't be bottle necked by the 580 and vice versa

    submitted by /u/ImGoneZero
    [link] [comments]

    Best processor

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 06:01 AM PDT

    Which one is best for multitasking, gaming, programing, coding, video editing.....Intel core i5 10500 or Ryzen 5 3600 ???

    submitted by /u/Riyaz56
    [link] [comments]

    Identical ram not working toegether

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:29 PM PDT

    So a few days ago only half my RAM was available, because the other half was hardware reserved. I checked it online and did all the basic troubleshooting things but nothing worked until I reset the BIOS via an usb stick (when the pc reset during the bios update the pc didnt have video output, I left it overnight so I didnt interrupt it, but in the morning nothing changed so I reset the CMOS ad it booted) hardware reserved memory is now really low but only one memory stick works at a time. Both memory sticks work in every slot by themselves, the only catch is, I have to reset the CMOS to get the other one to work. I have exhausted all websites and reddit post closely resembling this issue, no luck so far. I also reloaded the bios this time with gigabytes app center and it updated again but the issue still remains.

    Any help welcome.

    HARDWARE: MoBo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite Ram: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8 3000mhz Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Gpu: MSI GTX 1660ti GamingX

    submitted by /u/koB0330
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get past the first screen

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:24 PM PDT

    Hi, So I recently got all the parts for my new computer and once I got it booted up everything was working just fine. I was able to get in the BIOS and I installed debian. I tried to boot into the new install and it wouldn't work so I tried to change some of the settings in the bios related to booting. It still wouldn't work so I just tried restarting the computer a couple of times and eventually it stopped doing anything. Spamming the keys does not open anything. I'm stuck on the screen that has the logo of my motherboard and says to hit keys to open the menus. I have tried multiple times to use the Q-flash+ button. I even took out everything from the computer and tried but still no luck. I've moved my ram around to different slots and I've done everything I could think of. I'm just writing here in case I turn out to be a massive dumbass who overlooked something simple. I'm out of Ideas and would very much appreciate any help.

    Specs
    Intel Core i9-11900K
    Z590 AORUS ELITE AX
    Seasonic FOCUS GX-750
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2x16)
    PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 NVMe Gen4 x4 SSD

    submitted by /u/Anteater-Minimum
    [link] [comments]

    Can't Access UEFI upon booting my PC

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 09:24 AM PDT

    Hello, I hope the people of this subreddit may help me to answer a question, and perhaps even solve a problem of mine. As the title suggests, whenever I boot up my PC I do not see the ASUS logo nor the information telling me how to get into the UEFI. For context, I never noticed until now because I only went to the UEFI screen twice in order to enable XMP and change some fan settings. My need for it now is that I have installed ubuntu in another SSD along side my original SSD which contains windows. Whenever I turn on my computer after a shut down from windows or ubuntu, I do not see the aforementioned screen. My monitor a Samsung G7 27' , behaves as if it receives a signal at first but then the monitor sleeps and I assume that while the monitor sleeps the PC completes POST and launches whichever boot has higher priority. However, when I restart my PC I see the logo, and even after seeing the logo I see the GRUB screen when Ubuntu has the higher priority. The questions that I have are, and their context;

    • Is it bad that both my Windows Boot Manager and my Ubuntu Boot manager are on the same SSD? I don't know why this happens, even when I do a custom installation of Ubuntu and I select my second SSD as my boot disk it still appears in the UEFI as my first SSD.
    • Any idea for why the monitor won't show the logo and the UEFI prompt upon start up from booting, and how to fix it? For the record, I have turned off fast boot.
    • Could it be the UEFI version of the motherboard? I am using a ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (Wifi)

    I thank you in advance if you have any idea on how to help me.

    submitted by /u/OutbreakPrime07
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a good secondary Monitor under ~150€

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 10:31 AM PDT

    So I'm looking to get a secondary Monitor, doesn't have to be anything fancy, just 1080p 60-75hz refresh rate and under 150€. I have absolutely 0 experience with buying monitors so it'd be nice if you guys could give me any recommendations.

    submitted by /u/alexn310
    [link] [comments]

    pc question

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 02:05 PM PDT

    Hi, not sure if this is the correct sub but,

    I'm making a build including:

    • Cougar MG120-G Case
    • Ryzen 7 3700x, cpu
    • Gigabyte A520M DS3H, Motherboard
    • ZOTAC gaming GeForce rtx 3060 ti twin edge OC LHR, GPU
    • 16gb ddr4 3600mhz, Ram
    • 500gb WD blue SN550 SSD
    • 1tb barracuda 3.5'' HDD
    • Arctic Alpine 23 cooler
    • Contour 650w PSU
    • PCIe wireless 802.11N wi-fi
    • integrated motherboard audio
    • 2x purewings 2 - 120ml case fans

    making this build through punch technology and my budget is 1200 - 1400 (GBP)

    my main questions are

    1. Is this sufficient for most games
    2. Will the PSU be sufficient
    3. will this be able to run a good game + discord at the same time
    4. Does the motherboard support 3600mhx RAM
    5. Are all the parts compatible

    any changes made must fit in my budget

    i also will not be building a pc myself so please dont suggest that

    thats all, thank you

    (ps) if there is a better sub for this please let me know and ill post it there

    submitted by /u/PastaBaggins
    [link] [comments]

    GPU fans ramp up and monitor goes off when I'm playing some games.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    As the title says, GPU fans ramp up and monitor goes off when I'm playing some games. particularly when I'm playing call of duty iw4x (iw4x is a mw2 mod), my system specs are:

    CPU Ryzen 5 3600

    Asrock b450m pro4 motherboard

    AMD Radeon Pro Duo (yes it's some obscure ass gpu, my dad's brother works for AMD and had a metric shit ton of them so he gave 2 or 3 to us)

    2x8 corsair vengance 2133 ram

    some kingston ssd

    some corsair psu (750 watt)

    I opened up my pc to check if there is anything shorting out but no, it seems like this problem is wide spread, but I haven't been able to find a solution.

    submitted by /u/crypt312
    [link] [comments]

    Saving for pc but dont know how to make money

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 11:43 AM PDT

    Hi so as the title says I'm saving for a pc. For now i have about 300€ but im going to save 1200€ since i dont have a monitor or keyboard. Im planning on selling some stuff but after that how am i supposed to make money. Im not going to do anything online. Ive already planned to ask for money on Christmas and my birthday so yeah and im not going to ask for example to mow my neighbors lawn because im scared :|

    Edit: im 13 so i cant get a job

    submitted by /u/NonnaCafe
    [link] [comments]

    dual rtx 3090 pc turns off after 15 minutes of gpu rendering

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    amd ryzen threadripper 3960x

    64gb ddr4 3200mhz g skill aegis

    msi trx40 creator motherboard

    dual msi suprim x rtx 3090

    be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500 watt psu

    I do 3D gpu rendering in octane and cinema 4D. just upgraded my gpu setup to dual 3090s because I needed the vram (had 4x rtx 2070). I had a seasonic prime 80 plus gold 1300 watt power supply before, but my pc would turn off whenever I started a render. saw the psu had very little amperes available for all pcie outputs (108A total), and had heard these cards can get current spikes.

    Long story short, the pc now turns off 15 minutes into rendering instead of immediately. If I restart the pc immediately it shuts off again after a few seconds (last psu would shut off immediately when attempted to turn back on). If I wait a minute before turning the pc back on everything boots normally, which would lead me to believe it might have something to do with temperatures. Gpu temps dont go above 85c. I've limited the cards to 300 watts which doesn't change anything. Renders dont seem to turn off the pc when I only use one card. Is this for sure a psu thing?

    Glad to get any input! This has been killing me the past 3 days, I'm in the middle of a project :'(

    submitted by /u/Capital-Taste-8888
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade my PC. Thoughts?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:20 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I have around $400 at my disposal, and I was thinking of upgrading some of my PC's components, such as the CPU, the Motherboard, the RAM and the Case. I currently have an i5-6500, a Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming 3 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4-2400Mhz and a Corsair SPEC-03 Case.

    Here is the build that I currently have with the parts that I am thinking of, and how much I am going to pay for each of them (The ones that have a $0 cost are what I already have): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6qmjz7

    The reason that the CPU costs only $100 is because I found someone who bought it and soon after bent the pins by accident, and is now selling it for that price. I think I can put the pins back to their place, and have a fully functional 5600X at my disposal.

    What are your thoughts on this matter? Should I buy these parts or change them somewhat?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Pet2Ant
    [link] [comments]

    Does bent pins affect performance?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    I was re organizing my cables and found out that the power cable from my psu to surge protector has bent pins that lean a pretty substantial amount to the left. I have been experiencing issues with my pc, could the bent pins be affecting the power going to my pc?

    submitted by /u/Wroten144
    [link] [comments]

    Which GPU should I look for once prices stabilise. Build in comments

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    Hi all

    built my first ever pc this week with the i5-11400 cpu which has integrated graphics and the asus tuf gaming b560 motherboard. I can get by for now without a gpu but will hope to get one around October time.

    my monitor is a 1080p 144hz, so I won't need 4K and can't see me upgrading to a 4K monitor anytime soon.

    what gpu should I look for that will give me quality 1080p gameplay? I'll be playing forza horizon 5, call of duty and poss some other games like f1 and battlefield.

    all advice is greatly appreciated.

    thanks

    submitted by /u/Walton841928
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on PC build

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    Hello, I am trying to build my first PC and I am going with the specs below, I was wondering if I could get any advice on the compatibility of the parts and if I am not using some that are good enough for the cpu, etc. Thank You!

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

    CPU Cooler: Deepcool CASTLE 360EX 64.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card

    Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

    submitted by /u/webiie
    [link] [comments]

    Built new PC, everything seems fine, but agonizingly slow

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Recently built my 1st PC. Build went ok, motherboard posted with no problems, Bios seemed fine and installing Windows went smoothly. Couple of days later, activated a Windows 10 Pro key. Couple more days later (today), I'm finally ready to make the transition and get new PC set up, but it is horrendously slow. Typing basic sentences in a text program makes the words lag behind. Opening webpages takes a long time, and heftier webpages like youtube even take so long that the browser outright times out. The youtube videos play ~3s at low resolution before needing 15+ seconds to play the next 3 seconds. Mouse movement is laggy, elements I hover over are highlighted with a delay, browsing file explorer is slow,... The whole experience is downright dreadful. Everything seemed fine in the Bios though, and I don't know where the issue might be...

    Some basic specs;

    • GPU: 3080
    • CPU: Ryzen 5900X
    • RAM: 32GB
    • PSU: 850W
    • Cooling: AIO

    It's a high spec build in which I did not cheap out on any specific component, and yet this is the slowest experience I've ever had with a computer. I have no idea where to go from here, so could anyone suggest some reliable diagnostics tools or steps to take to try and pinpoint what went wrong? Much appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/UsernameDontMatter5
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help with my CPU upgrade.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Hello, I would really need some help with my upgrade!

    Today I was able to get a Rtx 3070ti (wasn't my first choice but the deal was good so I didn't think twice about it!)

    As I want to upgrade my pc completely and only keep the case, I'm not sure what cpu to get. It currently runs with a i7 4770k.

    There are three options for me right now:

    1. The cheap option: getting a i5 10400f (140€) combined with a mainboard for around 100€. This seems like a good budget idea right now but not for long term. I'm concerned that it's not a good idea to buy a 6 core cpu anymore, as a lot of people say that it won't be safe for the future.

    2. Getting a Ryzen 5600x (265€) with a good b550 board. Probably the best cpu for this price right now, with enough power for the 3070ti. Same problem with the 6 cores though. The 5900x (540€) is just to expensive for me right now. The 5800x (390€) doesn't make sense to me either.

    3. My last and actually least favourite option: keeping the 4770k until alder lake reveals see if there's something interesting or hopefully other cpu prices drop. Or even wait for zen 4

    These are just my thoughts. I'm open to new ideas. Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/Arminius_20
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming Pc Build

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    This will mostly be used for world of Warcraft but just wanted some opinions.
    i5 10600kf 1660 super 6gb 8gb memory 1tb Sata hard drive

    submitted by /u/Helpful-Demand1780
    [link] [comments]

    CPU is getting hot in the past few weeks.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    Hi I just wanted to see if this was a somewhat normal issue or something. But I have an Intel core i5 8400 in an ASRock b365m phantom gaming mobo. I've used this Convo for the past 9 months without issue, but in the last few weeks my CPU has been getting hot (I am still using Intel stock cooler). Before when I would play Minecraft or watch YouTube I would get 50°C max I don't think I've ever gotten it to 60. Now when I am playing Minecraft or watching YouTube videos the temperature spikes up to 75-80. It hasn't gone over 82° in all the time I've seen it but I'm just wondering why that's happening now.

    My friends have told me to get a new CPU cooler which I wouldn't mind, but I'm more intent on trying to find out why something like this has happened. For those that will ask... 1. Everything is super clean I dust and clean the PC every month. 2. No new updates have been done windows, uefi, or drivers. 3. I haven't downloaded a single thing in a long time (it's on wifi not Ethernet so I mainly disconnect it when I'm playing Minecraft only use internet for reddit and YouTube). 4. No one else has used the computer. 5. I haven't touched the bios settings since I bought the motherboard.

    I mean I will probably end up getting a hyper 212 or whatever $20 cooler is on Amazon but just wanted to see if anyone could help to try and figure out why this happened.

    submitted by /u/smellthefingers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment