• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 24, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 24, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 24, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 24, 2021

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Holy smokes did 4k monitor price come down?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2021 09:27 PM PDT

    I recall exactly 3 years ago in 2018, I worked at a company that gave provided everyone with a 4k monitor.

    I was so impressed with the sharpness that I decided to go buy one for home use. This was May 2018. Back then, they were quite expensive and I think I paid $450 for a 27inch.

    Now 32inch can be had for under $400.

    God bless good old competition driven development.

    submitted by /u/sbrueding
    [link] [comments]

    For Gaming What RAM Configuration Would Give Better Results? 3200MHZ 4x8GB SR vs 3200MHZ 2x16GB DR?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 04:12 AM PDT

    Can't seem to be able to find an answer to this online.

    submitted by /u/bricken4125
    [link] [comments]

    Low CPU Utilization While Playing Games

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 05:11 AM PDT

    I usually get around 10-20% utilization when playing lightweight games but when I play games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla it never goes above 50%. Is this normal?

    submitted by /u/Skeptie69
    [link] [comments]

    Why buy a Ryzen 5 when 7 is Less?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 05:42 AM PDT

    Hi Friends,

    I see the Ryzen 5, 5600 is running for more $ than Ryzen 7 3700. Why would i bother with the 5?

    What am i missing?

    Thanks for your input....

    submitted by /u/neu-kid-here
    [link] [comments]

    Is a rtx 3060 compatible with a b450 msi tomahawk max mobo

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:06 AM PDT

    I just got a 3060rtx and i am having issues slotting it in the pci slot, it appears to be too big.

    edit: there was a plastic cover. im gonna go die in a hole now far away.

    submitted by /u/JJWattGotSnubbed
    [link] [comments]

    Alright guys I'm stumped. New build won't boot up, please save me.

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 10:41 AM PDT

    Gigabyte x570 Ultra, 5600x, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 2x16gb, Thermaltake P3 case, Gigabyte 850 gold psu, Gigabyte 3080ti gaming oc, Evga 360 aio cpu cooler,

    So when I flip the switch on the psu to 'on', I get a brief flash of white light from under the io shield, to the left of the processor. Only when I first plug it in/flip it on.

    When I try to power the pc on, by hitting the button on the case, it makes an audible click, and no fans or lights or anything come on. About one second later it makes another click. No warning lights on the mobo, no activity, nothing other than those two clicks.

    I'm at my wits end, I've made sure that everything is plugged in, I've pulled the little battery off to reset the cmos, I've tried to flash the bios but been unsuccessful. My USB would flash with activity for about 10 seconds and then turn off.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Sorry for formatting, I'm on mobile. Obviously...

    Pics of wiring, one video of the clicking, one of the flash. http://imgur.com/gallery/nQI0xRz

    SOLVED THANK GOD. Had the wrong power cables in the cpu. I'll leave this up in case someone else is as dumb as me.

    submitted by /u/TotalEclips3
    [link] [comments]

    Why do ram sticks with 3600mhz exist if only cpus with 3200mhz exist?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 07:00 AM PDT

    So, why do ram sticks with 3600Mhz and higher exist if the maximum on cpus (Ryzen 9 5950X) is 3200Mhz? Are there some unknown server cpus with 3600mhz and up or some hacky way to make the cpu run faster?

    submitted by /u/SnooPeanuts4197
    [link] [comments]

    What does Windows 11's TPM 2.0 requirement mean for PC building in the future? Is it as simple as buying a TPM chip for those who want to upgrade?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 01:19 PM PDT

    Windows 11 was announced, and one of it's requirements is that it requires TPM 2.0. Most consumer-grade motherboards do NOT come with one built-in, but do come with a TPM header which allows one to be plugged in.

    I'm taking a look on Amazon, and it appears TPM chips are not in high-demand. Almost every listing has little information in it's description, and it seems to be up to the user to research the part. My quick research gives the impression they are not mass-produced, and are specialty items.

    Is it safe to say that motherboard manufacturers will begin putting TPM chips on future motherboards to ensure out-of-the-box compatibility with Windows 11?

    Finding information for TPM is quite difficult since it seems very few people use it, except business and enterprise users, and they would have their technicians handle it.

    Is there going to be a future where a TPM chip is a part of many PC builds and needs to be included in the budget?

    And for those who are more knowledgeable, what should we the user know about TPM in a future with Windows 11? I know many of us won't be upgrading, but everybody caves eventually due to lack of support for old operating systems

    submitted by /u/ProxSox
    [link] [comments]

    Got a new PC, however not sure if it's functioning to it's potential

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 04:22 AM PDT

    Got a new PC last month (pre-built since it was more worth it $$$), and I've been using it quite extensively. Whilst nothing is clearly broken/malfunctioning, I'm not quite sure if my PC is working to it's potential.

    Here's my userbenchmark:

    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44127107

    Sometimes I just feel like my PC is too slow for what it is (if that makes sense?). I'll be making music in my DAW and it's still almost as "slow" as my 1060 that I had (it's quicker, but not drastically). I don't to throw anyone off by saying it's "slow" - it's still fast, but not as fast as my specs should be (i think).

    My task manager shows my memory sits around ~30% when just using google chrome (with a few tabs). my CPU & GPU appear relatively low, my Ethernet is spiking (not sure if that can play a factor - probably not?).

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/stick7_
    [link] [comments]

    How should I mount my AIO?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 04:41 AM PDT

    So my current case fan has 2 intake RGB fans and 1 exhaust. My AIO also has 2 fans and I really want to keep the case fans, so I'm thinking of putting the 3 fans on the back and the AIO in the front, but will this cause negative pressure? Should I mount it on the top then and have 2-3 intake fans? Thank you for reading my post.

    submitted by /u/MundaneCaterpillar91
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a website when you can input your parts and see how it'll run FPS wise?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 05:48 AM PDT

    Wondering if there is some website when you can input different parts of a PC and it can show you what your FPS would be on a certain game, so you can mix and match parts

    submitted by /u/Tim_tank_003
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy a aftermarket cooler?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 03:35 AM PDT

    So recently I have built my first PC. My processor is Ryzen 7 3700X and my gpu 1650 Super. I didn't buy an after market cooler . Currently using the stock cooler that comes with the 3700x

    While my pc is in idle or I do some web browsing the cpu temperature is in 50-60°C . But after Playing 1/2 hours of Valorant it goes 70-75 °C . The highest temperature I saw was in noon today and it was 80°C

    Note : It's pretty hot in weather here (37-40 °C is the room temperature ) My case has 3 front fans and one rear fan for exhaust. My case model is This

    Do you think I need an aftermarket cooler? Will it help to decrease the temperature?

    submitted by /u/ActiveExchange9
    [link] [comments]

    Do i need upgrade my 'ryzen 3500x' to '3600'? Or it will be ok for a couple of years?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 05:10 AM PDT

    700-1000$ build sons pc

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 08:34 AM PDT

    Looking for a 700-900$ build for sons pc, he won one last year in a fort nite tournament, but last week got into a fight with his brother and destroyed it. Some parts are reusable, got ssd, power supply and ram. Board snapped on the fall and video cards pins ate bent. I told him if he could raise 300$ id pay the rest, hes currently at 226 and raising. I need a fortnite build for him with fancy lights. Any cheaper builds that he can stream and still get decent fps on. Im open to used equipment as well.

    submitted by /u/Octechxx
    [link] [comments]

    No sign to monitor

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    Good afternoon everyone. Okay so about 3 weeks ago my PC slowed way down. When i took it apart in found out the liquid collant got on my GPU a 1660. I tried cleaning it with alcohol but no good i coudnt get a signal. So I ordered a new one this time a 1660 super. After installing it still no signal. Here is what i have done so far. Checked cables and monitor all work with out PC. I have taken out the watch battery in the motherboard for awhile. Reseted and cleaned my ram sticks.

    I dont believe its a power issuse but i could be wrong but my lights and fan do come one for about 5 minuts then everything turns off. Thanks for the help guys.

    submitted by /u/PreviousMagician197
    [link] [comments]

    Best air cooler for ryzen 5 3500 cost/benefit?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 12:15 AM PDT

    my case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA Gaming Mid-Tower RGB

    No overclock just gaming

    More info: my temps are 70° celsius in idle, and 80-90+ ° when gaming; external temperatures min 27 max 40°. I need a new air cooler cause the stock one is no good for summer time at all.

    submitted by /u/PhobosGrunt045
    [link] [comments]

    If you are worried you don't have TPM 2.0 for Windows 11 on your old Intel build try enabling Intel PTT before giving up!

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    Like many I just tried Microsofts PC Health Check and got a big fat no for compatibilty with Windows 11 on my Z390 9600k build due to no TPM. While I wasted time looking for a discrete gigabyte tpm module (which is pretty much gone from the market) I realised I should check out my Bios first. Turns out Intel's PTT (Platform Trust Technology) qualifies as TPM 2.0 at least on 9th gen Z390 boards. Once I got this enabled the windows tool is saying I am all good to go. If you are in a similar situation give this a try before giving up on Windows 11 compatibility for your computer. I believe AMD also has a solution you can enable in the bios for relativily recent chipsets.

    submitted by /u/evanelang
    [link] [comments]

    My gtx 1080 crashes when playing heavy games

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    I accidentally put +700 in memory clock on msi afterburner and when i saw the artifacts. I restarted it and open msi afterburner again and reset the settings. Now i still get the problem when i already reset the clocks. Do i have to reinstall msi afterburner?

    submitted by /u/mjtanxd
    [link] [comments]

    PC wont start faulty PSU ?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 04:43 AM PDT

    I've been having trouble with my PSU (I think) since a few weeks ago, I would have like a random shut down when I was just using the computer and a lot of times it wouldn't simply turn on unless I try a lot of things like unplugging everything from the motherboard(Excluding power cables of course) and including USB devices internet cables and everything and that was just to power it on because if I restarted it again it would happen again, or at least most of the time, because of that I didn't turn it off when it did started, and just turned off the monitor everyday.

    At that time I was using a Ryzen 5 2400G until I could find a GPU, I tried to switch the motherboard for one that I had for later to put another processor (B550 | R5 5600X), when I get the GPU and even though that motherboard doesn't officially support the CPU, it worked. A few weeks later I started getting trouble to power the computer on and I forgot to mention before but I had already tried to swap the PSU for with brother's and his worked flawlessly. But I could with some hassle of course turn on the computer and use it but two days ago I bought a GPU for my friend (RX 470) and installed the CPU that I had and the motherboard that I was already using in addition to the GPU.

    I had a lot of trouble to get it to just POST I tried everything from removing the CMOS battery to cleaning it with the two pins in the motherboard unplugging and replugging everything, trying with a single module of RAM, I also updated the BIOS with the latest bios I could find in my manufacturer's website. After trying everything I could find on the internet and everything I could figure out by myself I just gave up that day and the other day incredibly just woke up turn on the computer and it run perfectly, I was so confused but I just didn't mind that the only thing that I wanted was to test it I used it for morning starting to loading some games and when I came back from work in the afternoon I installed a driver's update for the GPU which asked me to restart de PC and after that I never turned on again, I tried the same that I tried the day after that even even let it overnight the same way that I did the day before when it actually started, but nothing, I tried with my brother's PSU and it works, every time I turn it on it works, when I was switching between one and the other it worked on mine sometimes but just wasn't consistent, was 1 in every 10 or so and after reconnecting everything a few time, anyway, later even that didn't work.

    Note: the first MOBO that I was using is a A320 from MSI, the one that I was using later is a B550 from Gigabyte. The CPU which I swapped the 2400G for is a 5600X, same RAM. My PSU is a Thermaltake SMART 700W 80+(Only 80+), my brother's is a EVGA 500 W1 80+(Same).

    Edit: lots of typos + Added info

    I'm almost sure is the PSU, but I really want to know if there's something I'm missing that could cause those issues.

    submitted by /u/byjosue113
    [link] [comments]

    Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 11:19 AM PDT

    CPU: Ryzen 2600 Socket: AM4 MB: MSI B450M PRO-VDH V2

    I am currently upgrading my stock CPU cooler to the one mentioned in the title, when I try to put the mounting pillars into the holes on my motherboard the mounting pillars are way too small and will not screw into the motherboard, how do I make it fit I am genuinely so confused?

    submitted by /u/temtis
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor suggestions

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 09:03 AM PDT

    Alright guys I was lucky enough to secure a RTX 3070 FE at Best Buy and I wanted to 4K game but I am realizing I needed a 3080 for that, so what's the best 1440 monitor to pair with it? I want something with good colors is IPS good for that? The monitor I found that I'm thinking about is the MSI Optix Mag27qrf quantum dot. My specs are B550 motherboard 3070 FE Ryzen 5 5600x and 32GB ram.

    submitted by /u/AngryElfDraven
    [link] [comments]

    New to PC gaming

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    Hello I'm new to pc gaming and want advice on parts

    I want a 3070 or a 2080super

    What is a good coy o should get for it I have a 2250 budget and need help

    Also how does a MOBO work and why is a good I should buy

    One last thing should I buy an AIO or so a custom water loop

    It is my first build

    submitted by /u/AnarexicAsh
    [link] [comments]

    Build/Buy PC's for Work

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 12:22 PM PDT

    Disclaimer* I'm not super tech savy so treat me with basic understanding as I only know enough to get by. Thanks!

    Hey there. I've been tasked with upgrading several computers where I work.

    Build 1.

    Already has pretty decent setup just needs a new GPU to be able to operate Vortek Spaces better. I asked Vortek what their optimal req. are and they said that anything that scores over 8,000 on https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html will be able to seamlessly do the job. Build 1. currently has a Nvidia GTX 950, I'm looking into getting a Nvidia GTX 1060. Staying within both budget and the same family of GPU would be great. I also know right now isn't the best time to buy GPU's but it's his money not mine. His budget for a GPU would be around 400$

    Build 2 and 3.

    Builds 2 and 3 are pretty much the same in terms of requirements. We don't need anything too crazy. We use a program called Cabinet Vision and that program at the moment does all it's render's via CPU and very little RAM or GPU. (To me this doesn't make any sense to put all the work onto the CPU but that's how they designed their pull). I never got a direct answer from Cabinet Vision but I am using my boss' beefy build to compare and get something of equal power. He's running an i7-8700K and runs like butter that's been left out for like 15 min. It's not perfect, but it's also not a solid brick. So something up to par would be great.

    So here comes my humble question to you people. What the crap should I do if I'm looking at some budgets. The GPU (Build 1) we're good on (unless you people can throw out some better alternatives). Build 2 and 3; should I buy some premade ones with specs that would benefit my situation or would it be just as cheap to build something from scratch. The specs Ive been looking at, at what I'd need are as follow for both Build 2 and 3.

    - CPU with a Score above 8,000 +
    - 16GB RAM
    - 512 GB - 1TB Storage
    - Possibility of a future GPU and Storage Install.

    So far I've found the following two:
    Option 1: https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-3060-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-5EVV3?Item=9SIADUMBYN2231&quicklink=true

    Option 2: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1145909&CatId=2627

    So for under 500$ can I build the equivalent of those two, or should I just get those two?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/FeatherlessDuck
    [link] [comments]

    Connect dual 6 pin PCI-E power connectors to GPU with 6+2 pin power input?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    I was given what appears to be either a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti at work to put into my dev machine. However, my (non-modular) PSU has two 6 pin PCI-E connectors, but the GPU has what I *think* is a 6+2 pin power input. I have googled for "dual 6 pin to 6+2 PCI-E adapter" but such an adapter does not seem to exist (or perhaps my google fu is lacking). How do I connect the dual 6 pins to this GPU?

    The connectors in question:

    https://imgur.com/a/7uC4NUm

    submitted by /u/some_redditor23
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment