• Breaking News

    Monday, June 21, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 21, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 21, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 21, 2021

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    TIL that CPU pins can break.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:23 AM PDT

    One of the pins on my Ryzen 7 5800x broke and now the memory slots B1 and B2 are not working. I've got 2x 16gb ram, so could still use 16gb on a single slot.

    Will this be enough or should I suck it up and get a new CPU? I mainly use my PC to browse chrome and sometimes to play games. Warranty is of out question if it doesn't cover dumb behavior.

    submitted by /u/zurako91
    [link] [comments]

    Best Desk and Chair for wfh setup?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 06:38 AM PDT

    This post may look and sound cringe and I'm sorry. I really don't know anything about what's this and what's not. Decided to seek help here for my dad's birthday and for celebrating father's day too. Why desk and chair? Because I know that he is still using that tall dining chair we have and still using that teeny weeny table which he got from my room. My dad's been complaining about his back pain and all but refuses to buy a proper chair and desk for his work . He surely is a cheapskate (legit). I just wanted to surprise him and do something nice. Recommendations will be appreciated, Thank you all! ~

    submitted by /u/bancalesclb6
    [link] [comments]

    Worth it to buy a new psu?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 05:11 AM PDT

    I recently built a new pc with a Ryzen 5 5600x and my GPU (RX 6800) will arrive in a few days (i'm currently using my old GTX 1060).

    My PSU is a Corsair CX650M (80+ bronze, semimodular), which is the only part i took from my older build. I already know that the wattage is just fine and it will be enough for my new build, but the fan is a bit noisy.

    I was planning to put a PSU in the old build and sell it, but now I have to choose between these two options:

    1. Buy a cheap but reliable PSU for my older system (maybe a smaller one because 650 W was oversized for an i5 + 1060) and keep the Corsair in the new one
    2. Upgrade my Corsair for a more silent and efficient unit and put the CX in the older build

    The deciding factor is: how much do I have to spend (in the EU market, since I'm from Italy) to get a PSU that is noticeably better than the one I have right now?

    submitted by /u/filo_922
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to have 4x8 or DDR4 RAM, or 2x16?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 04:44 AM PDT

    Primarily for gaming, but my build is gonna be used for a multitude of things. I can provide my prospective spec if needed, but I dont really wanna type them all out lol

    submitted by /u/Refrigerator_Guy
    [link] [comments]

    I found 2080Ti on MSRP.... But I'm already at 2070 Super

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 06:24 AM PDT

    Need advice if upgrade is actually economically feasible to upgrade if I flip my GPU.

    For some context, the 2080Ti is around 1000$. Looked around abit and my 2070 Super is being sold around 750-900$, while 3070 is around 1500$..... I am playing on 1440p 144Hz monitor.

    submitted by /u/hnryirawan
    [link] [comments]

    First time building a pc, all advice is great

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 03:44 AM PDT

    Hi, I've always wanted to try building a pc mainly for playing games.

    I've put together a list.

    Not sure if all the parts work or if there are better alternatives

    Please let me know what you think!

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HtRdht)

    Type|Item|Price

    :----|:----|:----

    **CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) | $209.99 @ B&H

    **CPU Cooler** | [Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8jFKHx/corsair-icue-h150i-elite-capellix-75-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060048-ww) | $167.26 @ Amazon

    **Motherboard** | [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmGnTW/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi) | $192.99 @ Amazon

    **Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QDhKHx/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-cmw16gx4m2c3200c16) | $97.99 @ Amazon

    **Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LpbTwP/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-12-gb-xc-gaming-video-card-12g-p5-3657-kr) | $1020.00 @ Amazon

    **Case** | [Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/d82bt6/lian-li-lancool-ii-mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-ii-mesh-rgb-black) | $118.99 @ Newegg

    **Power Supply** | [Asus ROG STRIX G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nj3mP6/asus-rog-strix-g-1000-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-rog-strix-1000g) | $229.99 @ B&H

    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

    | **Total** | **$2037.21**

    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2021-06-21 06:33 EDT-0400 |

    submitted by /u/Seedy_
    [link] [comments]

    Worth it to buy a 1440p monitor with what I currently have?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 09:42 PM PDT

    Bought a prebuilt and am currently using a 1080p monitor because I have nothing else at the moment and I've really considered buying a 1440p monitor and playing on high/ultra settings but I've seen how it can drastically cut 20-30 fps from a game

    My current rig:

    CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G

    GPU: RTX 3060 12 GB

    Ram: 16 GB (2x8) 3200 Mhz

    512 Nvme M.2 SSD

    1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD

    submitted by /u/John101FW
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like the dumbest person on this planet

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 09:08 AM PDT

    So a couple of days ago I asked help on my first pc build because it wouldn't turn on at all... So I just realised that I put the front panel headers in the wrong pins. There's 2 identical pin sets on my mobo close by and I put them on the wrong fucking pins. Luckily nothing broke I still feel stupid...

    submitted by /u/Moist_Cheetos
    [link] [comments]

    Intel i3-10100F 3.6ghz(4.3turbo),16gb ram DDR4,GTX 1650 Super 4gb GDDR6

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 12:04 AM PDT

    So I was thinking about getting a budget pre build pc and this was like the best deal i could find...I dont need to play 4k 60fps i just need something that would mainly run Doom eternal with 120+ fps on the lowest settings and also i m curious what do u think about this stuff in general....like its the build any good overall....I plan on upgrading it but not rn and as i said being extremly cheap but how good i saw it runs current games seems a good deal to me...

    submitted by /u/le3pri3st
    [link] [comments]

    Which prebuilt manufacturers are the best to go with?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    Hey there everyone,

    This may not be the best spot for this but i figure someone here may know. I'm looking to get a prebuilt PC with a 3080 and haven't decided yet on intel vs amd on the processor. What are the reputable pre-built companies that deliver a great PC that I can get before October? Budget isn't a huge deal. I'm OK if i need to swap some fans, but i'd prefer to minimize the amount of components that need replacement.

    Edit: I'm locating in the US on the west coast just an FYI since it came up.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/waveriderca
    [link] [comments]

    A simple (maybe) question about RAM

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    Hello, straight to the point.

    I own a stick of 8GB ram (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000mhz CL15)

    I wanted to upgrade it and buy another stick but i can't find it anywhere and if i find a reseller is usually overpriced af.

    I always tought that you can't mix ram sticks but now i know that you can (within limits) and my question is, if i buy a Crucial Ballistix 3000mhz CL15 does it still work?

    Ram that i own

    Ram that i'd like to buy

    submitted by /u/Kronos993
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with build

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:41 PM PDT

    Hello, I just won the Newegg shuffle after many many months of trying and I managed to get a 3070 Ti and a EVGA 700 BQ power supply.

    I would have used PCpartpicker to check for compatibility but my graphics card is not on their list.

    I also have a 5600x that I managed to get back when there was still a shortage and a G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB .

    What I need now is help finding a good motherboard, case, and memory that is compatible with these parts. As for budget I don't really have a limit but I want to buy the cheapest functional parts and dont care about appearances (rgb's etc.).

    submitted by /u/CataclysmicPangolin
    [link] [comments]

    1TB Corsair MP600 Core (Gen4) or 1TB WB Black SN750 (Gen3)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 04:02 AM PDT

    If both are the same price, which one would you choose to use with B550 motherboard?

    WD Black SN750: https://www.amazon.com/Black-SN750-NVMe-Internal-Gaming/dp/B07M64QXMN/

    Corsair MP600 Core: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader/dp/B08TB1R595/

    submitted by /u/Hungarde
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade path from i7 7700k/GTX 1080

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:53 AM PDT

    Let's say price is not a concern (very big assumption here, but let's roll with it), what would be a realistic upgrade from GTX 1080p if I move from 1080p/144Hz to 1440p/144Hz. Preferably with 120+ all the time at highest setting.

    Another note, on the CPU side, what would be the current equivalent of the i7 7700k back in its day (say 2016, where it was top grade for gaming versus Ryzen 1 just come out)?

    submitted by /u/FamSC2
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a RX 480 but the previous user has flashed the RX 580 BIOS onto it. How do I revert this card?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    Title pretty much explains it. My PC is detecting this card as a 580 but it will crash when I try to run games with more demanding graphics. The games just freeze and I get kicked back to my desktop. My PSU is only rated for 600 W and this card only has a 6 pin PCI connector so likely not enough power.

    Can I limit the amount of power to my GPU through the BIOS?

    Or is there a way to get my PC to recognize this card as what it truly is: a 480.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/WARNING_Username2Lon
    [link] [comments]

    Monitor saying no signal

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 12:43 PM PDT

    Just got a new GPU, 6700xt, and the monitor will not show picture and just say "no signal" no matter what display I use. The Yellow DRAM light also lights up only when the GPU is installed

    submitted by /u/rhea_loves_you
    [link] [comments]

    New PC builder... help appreciated

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm brand new to pc building but would like to upgrade from my gaming laptop as i need more RAM. Here is what I have so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sc69Dc . I used newegg to put it together. Please let me know if you have any advice or recommendations for this. Also let me know what other parts and things I need to buy in order to put it together. Thanks for help in advance!!

    submitted by /u/songliketori
    [link] [comments]

    Asus TUF RTX 3080ti OC feels incredibly hot?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 06:07 AM PDT

    Hey all!

    So I'm not sure if this is just normal for these cards or if it's not and I'm hoping to get some input here.

    I just got my 3080ti and it works like a charm. However, I noticed that the card feels incredibly hot and there is also loads of hot air coming out from the rear of the PC. I feel like I could cook an egg on the GPU when I touch it.

    Now, full disclosure that my last card was a 1070. Much smaller and much less power hungry. So I'm wondering if this is just what's to be expected with these new GPUs? When I check the temps in MSI Afterburner, it seems to hover around 68-78 °C while playing games.

    submitted by /u/Luxbytes
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Ryzen 5 5600X is an overkill?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 07:34 AM PDT

    I want to build a gaming pc and buy the the Ryzen 5 5600X but I dont know if it`s an overkill.

    Should I just buy Ryzen 5 3600X and be done with it or the Ryzen 5 5600X will give me way more performance?

    I am planning to buy Gigabyte gtx 1650 as a GPU and upgrade to Msi rtx 2080 when the prices will get lower.

    submitted by /u/shachar1236
    [link] [comments]

    Summer Stealth Build is Done!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:45 AM PDT

    First a special shoutout to https://www.reddit.com/user/Blu3Jell0P0wd3r/. I followed his recommendations almost to the letter and ended up going with these parts.

    Here are the pics.

    I'm a console gamer that hasn't built a PC in 20 years. I believe the last PC I put together had an AGP graphics slot. Build went really well, overall. I've never done proper cable routing so I did my best but I definitely still have a few opportunities for cleanup. I'm going to remove the two fans that came with the case as they are cheap and I can hear a bit of bearing noise. I'm going to replace them with 3 chromax black Noctuas (2 intake on the front and 1 exhaust in the rear).

    Had some crashing / freezing problems at first but updated the motherboard BIOS and everything seems to be working now. I've run memtest for a half hour and completed two 3Dmark 20 minute stress tests and then 30 minutes of Doom Eternal without incident so I think I'm good.

    CPU and case fans kept ramping up and down for the smallest thing (e.g. opening Chrome) but I noticed my CPU temps were always very low (33C at idle, 55C to 65C under load) so I adjusted my fan curves so that the fans really only spin up above 30% when temps hit 50C and that seemed to make my system essentially silent most of the time.

    The Samsung 980 Pro M2 drive is nuts - booting into Windows in under 10 seconds. Basically don't wait for anything.

    The Gigabyte M27Q monitor is great. This is my first time with any display above 60hz and 1440p / 170hz is simply bananas. So fast and responsive. I never knew. I fired up Doom Eternal and set it max everything settings and I couldn't get FPS to go under 220 or so. Gonna be tough to go back to 60fps I think (and I just got used to that over 30fps!).

    submitted by /u/CorkyBingBong
    [link] [comments]

    My first custom build (part list)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 11:43 AM PDT

    So I'm building my first pc and these are the parts I've come to understand would fit the spending range I was looking at. It'll be used for gaming and heavy amounts of animation rendering for work.

    CASE: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis W/ Tempered Glass + LL120 RGB Case fans (Black Color)

    MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX w/ RGB

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor (packaged with FAN: AMD Ryzen Premium Wraith CPU Cooler)

    MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz GSKILL Trident Z RGB

    GPU: RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6

    SSD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

    HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

    POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - GIGABYTE GP-P750GM 80 PLUS GOLD

    Any feedback on my part list would be welcome, I'll show the finished product once I build it all!

    submitted by /u/Xaradojo
    [link] [comments]

    Does NO ONE repair graphic cards?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 10:06 AM PDT

    My 1.5 year old Powercolor Radeon 5700 seems to have died a premature death and just won't power on (and I've run an HDMI direct to the motherboard to confirm that everything else works fine). I've called three repair shops in NYC (where I live) and nobody says they work on graphic cards. I'm stunned that it seems I have no options besides pay the current absurd prices for a new card. Anyone have any advice or know of another option?

    submitted by /u/rebelbeast
    [link] [comments]

    Whats the best AMD motherboard under $120 ?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:49 PM PDT

    Im looking to build a budget gaming pc so I'm looking for the best mobo under $120 ? Also is this a good one? MSI (X470 GAMING PLUS Max)

    submitted by /u/KC_Dire_Wolf
    [link] [comments]

    Hooking up laptop-like speakers into a mITX build

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:45 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I didn't find a similar question on reddit, so I'll try asking here.

    Does anyone have experience with either a completed product or a DIY setup, where small, slim speakers (like those found in laptops) can be connected to the HD AUDIO motherboard header and powered by some common PSU connector (be it molex, sata or floppy 4-pin).

    I recently finished an mITX build in an InWin Chopin case, and didn't use any of the space on the back side (where 2.5" drives can be mounted), but since there are perforations on the panel, I thought it would be nice to have integrated speakers (and a microphone while we are at it) in the case (the main point of the build was portability without sacrificing performance)

    This is the amount of space I'm talking about:
    https://www.in-win.com/uploads/Product/gaming-chassis/chopin/chopin_overview_space_01.png

    Any ideas? :)

    submitted by /u/_Whiskas_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment