• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 12, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - June 12, 2021


    Simple Questions - June 12, 2021

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I’m secretly upgrading my husbands battle station and need monitor help

    Posted: 11 Jun 2021 04:25 PM PDT

    I'm not a gamer and know next to nothing about PCs, but my husband has been using my tiny college desk and an old monitor forever, so I want to surprise him with a new desk and monitors. He's not a super picky guy, I know he wants 144hz and a longer curved screen. Some recommendations that won't break the bank would be greatly appreciated, or just specs on what to go for would be great too!

    ETA: his graphics card is a GTX 1660, and I want to do a dual monitor set up.

    submitted by /u/Ohfuckitsb
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with the urge to constantly upgrade hardware

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 11:27 PM PDT

    Does anyone else struggle with this? I swear I have hardware OCD or something like that. Any time I get a new component I almost instantly start thinking about the kind of gains I could get from an upgrade.

    I think part of the problem is I've wanted a really high end PC for awhile now but haven't been able to get it. For the last few years I didn't have the money for it. Now that I'm done with school and have saved up enough of course we go into one of the worst GPU/tech markets in history.

    Currently sitting on a Ryzen 3600 which is OK I guess but I really want to get something like a 5800X with liquid cooling. That's not a huge problem since CPUs aren't too hard to find right now but I feel like my GPU would bottleneck it. I just got an RTX 3060 a few days ago and I'm already thinking about flipping it. It's fine a guess but a bit underwhelming and not what I imagined getting this year. Really only pulled the trigger on it because I found it for a little over MSRP.

    Then I have that lovely m2 drive connected to my motherboard that was just great at first until I start thinking about how slow it is with a PCIe 3.0 connection. Next thing you know I'm shopping for better motherboards and PCIe 4.0 compatible m2 drives... the list goes on and on.

    This post is mostly a rant/discussion to see if anyone else struggles with this but I also have the legitimate question of is it worth upgrading my CPU right now if I'm stuck with a 3060 for GPU? Will the 3060 bottleneck a 5800X? I'm keeping my options open with flipping it but refuse to pay a scalpers price for something like a 3070 or 3080 so who knows when I'll be able to get an upgrade.

    submitted by /u/SendThemIn715
    [link] [comments]

    What would you recommend?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 01:22 AM PDT

    Hi everybody!

    Thanks for reading! :D

    I'm currently rocking a build that's more than I need right now, but I made it overkill on purpose...

    Build:

    MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B550M

    CPU: 3950X (keeping it stock)

    COOLER: Dark Rock Pro 4

    RAM: HyperX Predator 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16

    BOOT: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

    STORAGE: Segate Iron Wolf 4TB

    With that out of the way I have a few questions...

    1. Using a EVGA GTX1660 XC, from my brothers previous build... Not my first choice, but my first question. How do you know what GPU to buy? Not exactly the OEM and their model, rather how do you define and plan for the future of your build. I'm tempted to just put a RTX 3090/3080Ti on the list and call it done... But I don't really believe that is the most optimal approach.
    2. I know how to pick a PSU, but still wanted to get your feedback. I'm looking into the BeQuiet Dark Power 12, and was hoping to hear how has your experience been?

    Thanks again for reading all the way, hope to hear from you!

    Cheers, Martin! :D

    submitted by /u/MartinGreyReal
    [link] [comments]

    Blinking lights on RTX 3090 Pre Built

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:52 AM PDT

    This is the first pre-built PC that I purchased instead of building my own due to not being able to get my hands on an RTX card.

    Link to PC

    I purchased it at the end of last year, and it's been running great since but recently I just purchased a Valve Index, and randomly after playing a game for a while (30+ minutes) I notice the blinking lights where the power connectors plug into the 3090.

    A quick googling tells me that this is due to the card not getting enough power.

    It has a CORSAIR RMx 850W 80 Plus Gold power supply which I think should be enough?

    Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this most likely an issue with the power supply or possibly something else?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FXschwartz
    [link] [comments]

    I keep getting blue screens on my new build.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 02:24 AM PDT

    Hi. Yesterday i assembled my first build, here is the parts list: Ryzen 3200g ASRock b450m-hdv r4 Gskill aegis 8x2gb 3000mhz Crucial P2 500gb nvme ssd Evga 450w br psu

    Everything seemed to be going well. I installed Windows and did all of the upgrades but then I started to get all sorts of bsod of various types. Here are the errors that I got so far:

    KERNEL SECURITY CHEK FAILURE

    KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

    IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

    CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

    Here's some things I did:

    -Activated xmp from uefi, it's actually the first thing i did

    -Yesterday after this kept happening I did a full Windows reset and reinstalled everything

    -I updated the Apu drivers downloading the latest ones from the website (should be 21.5.1) and the system shows as up to date from amd software, but when I check in device manager, the Vega 8 graphics has the latest drivers, but when I look at properties for one of the cores of the cpu shows drivers date of 21/04/2009. That seems weird

    -searching online for the errors everyone says that they are reletad to either driver issues or memory issues. Some articles suggested some diagnostics to run, and I did: sfc, dism and the windows memory diagnostics. All came up clear.

    -i tried to check for updated drivers for every device from the device manager itself, but it always says that I have the latest

    -i unplugged and reseated the ram, even switching the sticks(it's a 2 slot motherboard)

    I did all those things but I keep getting those errors, what can I do? They seem to happen at random times, i don't understand. Thank you and sorry if I made mistakes, english is not my first language. And sorry if I screwed the formatting, I'm posting this from smartphone.

    submitted by /u/SelimSilence
    [link] [comments]

    How often you guys upgrade?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 05:25 AM PDT

    So I'm currently in the process of saving to build my first pc for the first time in my life. Really looking forward to build my pc in a few months once I get enough money to build something powerful. How often you guys upgrade your system? I'm completely new to the pc master race. When you upgrade your components, do you also have to buy another CPU besides the graphics card?? Or another mother board? It is like consoles that you can upgrade every 7 years? Please share your experience.

    submitted by /u/gaponte2424
    [link] [comments]

    AGP In New Motherboards?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 03:43 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    So I have been waiting for an year now, to buy a new PC - and the GPU situation has only gone worse, and based on the latest news, they don't expected it to be any better on 2021. I'm trying to think what my alternatives are.

    One option, would be using my (very) old Video card - Radeon 4680 HD. But it's use AGP port and not PCI-E. Are Motherboards still coming with AGP ports for backwards compatibility? will getting new one is basically shooting myself in the leg because it means the motherboard is very old?

    I mostly play indie game (I am buying this game to play some AAA games I always wanted to play like Witcher 3, Doom, Horizen Dawn etc). So I was looking for older cards as semi-solution until this crisis is over - but even 3-4 generation old GPU are very expensive or not exists in stock.

    So It seems that if AGP is not an option - they only option is using the onboard Video card? that one that comes with the mother board? would that be enough to play indie games?

    I had a voucher I had to use, so I got an 1440p monitor. It has been sitting idle for the last 5 months waiting for a new PC :-(

    (I can't even use it now, because my current Radeon Card use DVI and not HDMI).

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Tall-Guy
    [link] [comments]

    Help me ID this sas drive.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 05:09 AM PDT

    I was able to get some parts from a broken server at work and im having a hell of a time IDing this Pliant sas drive. Anyone able to ID it?

    Imgur

    Imgur

    submitted by /u/devanmc
    [link] [comments]

    PSU upgrade required?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 07:16 AM PDT

    So I just got my hands on a 3060 and I'm just looking for a little feedback on PSU. Nvidia recommends 550w minimum

    Currently have a 550w seasonic gold +. Current GPU is a 5500 XT. That is the only change happening to my PC. Considering upgrading to a 750w just for safety and future upgrades unless it's 100% unnecessary. PSU calculators are showing 500-510w recommended, so is that too close?

    Thank you!

    Full build:

    I7 10700K

    ASRock Challenger D 5500XT

    ID cooling SE-224 XT black

    Asus B460M

    G.skill TridentZ 2x16 (32GB)

    Samsung 970 evo plus m.2 500gb

    Seagate barracuda HDD 2TB

    Seasonic 550 gold+

    5x 120mm fans

    Thermaltake S100 mATX case

    4x 27in monitors

    submitted by /u/Party_Marty_326
    [link] [comments]

    What cpu do I need to edit/render 4k videos?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 07:11 AM PDT

    Simple as the title says, atm I have ryzen 5 3600 and when rendering 1440p videos that are 13 minutes it takes like half an hour or more, soon ill be rendering 4k so itll only make it worse so im looking at upgrading my cpu, id prefer amd, my mobo is asus b550 tuf gaming. thanks!

    submitted by /u/TechNinjaPlayz
    [link] [comments]

    Got a rtx 3060 same day I won an rtx 3070 raffle.

    Posted: 11 Jun 2021 08:03 PM PDT

    I'm not a scalper, but I did overpay for the 3060 from a store that was selling it for $650. Was $707 after tax. Don't want to scalp anyone, but want to get my money out. Will I be able to sell the unopened 3060 for $707 just to get my money back?

    submitted by /u/Improvcommodore
    [link] [comments]

    Having Problems with many different Programs after upgrading PC

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:57 AM PDT

    I recently upgraded my pc and have been having many problems since then. I upgraded my motherboard, RAM, SSD, CPU and GPU. Everything was running perfectly fine before the upgrade and now I am constantly having problems with many different program crashing or not opening at all. When I upgraded my PC I reinstalled windows from a USB on the new M.2 SSD. When I first opened Windows I installed all of my drivers for all of my components. After installing the GPU drivers I noticed that Geforce experience would crash every time I opened it so I couldn't use shadow play anymore. I figured it was a bug and just left it alone. Shortly after I realized that my KB and mouse software, Corsair ICUE, would not open or it would for a quick second and then crash so I couldn't make any changes to my mouse and keyboard. This is also happening with Origin, Discord, Steam, Teamviewer and Milestone (Security Camera Software). I have reinstalled windows 3 separate times and the same thing continues happening. Originally I was thinking there was something up with Windows but now that I have reinstalled it 3 times Im not sure. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing these issues? I can play games on this PC fine most of the time but sometimes I have to open steam multiple times because it just constantly crashes or I will be in a game and it will randomly crash. I have listed all my new specs below, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Upgrades

    • EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    • ASROCK B365 PRO4 Motherboard
    • ADATA Swordfish 250GB M.2 SSD
    • Intel I7-9700K
    • CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200
    submitted by /u/PenleySS95
    [link] [comments]

    Is the AMD firepro W5100 any good

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:54 AM PDT

    Thermal pads or thermal tape for laptop heatsink?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 04:38 AM PDT

    I need to detach the heatsink of my laptop (model Clevo PA71HP) so I can reach a fan I need to swap out. I bought new thermal paste to reapply to the CPU, but I also noticed a few foamy things someone pointed to me are thermal pads:

    https://imgur.com/a/Td6uqXr

    I ordered a sheet but it was blue, thin and non-sticky. Further googling suggests it might be thermal tape instead. On Google I mostly come across 3D product pics of a product called Akasa Thermal Adhesive Tape. On YouTube I found some vids but it doesn't look foamy like the things in my laptop.

    So I hit Google again and supposedly these are thermal gap filler pads.

    Am I on the right track here? Do I need to pay attention to what type I should buy in terms of heat conductivity?

    For added info the laptop is 17 inch large, the CPU is an i7-7700HQ 2.80 GHz. Right now while I only have a few tabs open in Vivaldi and nothing else, the average CPU temp is 60c.

    (There's a separate heatsink with 2 fans which I assume is for the GTX 1060 6GB)

    submitted by /u/kerelberel
    [link] [comments]

    Help me choose a chair for my back: IKEA office or some ergonomic gaming chair

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 04:36 AM PDT

    Since working from Home I lost access to my Steelcase office chair which was pretty ergonomic. I also have some back problems and tried many chairs across the years - but somehow, I always end up with a crappy kitchen chair as it is somehow the only one that does not give me back pain (but it hurts my butt, ofc).

    I am thus looking into a good, compact fit for my home office. I am 188 cm and 81 kilos. My budget is between 200 and 400 bucks.

    I've researched hours upon hours and these are the options I eliminated already:

    - Gaming/Racing chairs: I don't like their feel, ergonomics and weight distribution of these types of chair. Yes, even Secretlab is too blockly for me.

    - Herman Miller &co -- I don't have 800 bucks nor am in a shipping country for most second-hand/refurbish vendors.

    Options I am currently looking into:

    - Ikea Hatterfjall: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hattefjaell-office-chair-with-armrests-gunnared-medium-grey-white-s39252134/ -- seems compact, a little expsnsive but very comfortable and ergonomic. Also being able to adjust its' seat so low is a good thing for my old oak wood desk

    - Ikea Markus: Great pick and durability but I am worried it may be a little too big and deep for my home desk. Some of my friends have it and I found I tend to slouch in it due to this, so it ends up realy unuseful.

    - ???

    Help me with your suggestions or experiences on the above. Any opinion on Hatterfjall would be highly welcome. I'm looking for something compact to sustain and prevent slouching.

    submitted by /u/Nyarlantothep
    [link] [comments]

    Gpu mounting bracket has a minor bend, will it void warranty?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:46 AM PDT

    My gpu has a minor bend on the mounting bracket but I am still able to mount it into my pc with no problems will it void the warranty? Also can I bend it back in place without them noticing if it does?

    Image 1:https://imgur.com/a/Sh8Ssnr

    Image 2:https://imgur.com/a/MoK9cVq

    submitted by /u/ToothyDuck41
    [link] [comments]

    My PC is not as fluid as it was

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:42 AM PDT

    Hello. I basically build a PC about 2 years ago, and I cannot stream anymore and recording is laggy. What could I upgrade to make it better? I play Apex Legends and Dead by Daylight.

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4

    Memory: G.Skill RipJaws V 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3600

    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5 7200 RPM IHD

    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT 4GB MECH OC

    Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX

    submitted by /u/Toyoraura
    [link] [comments]

    My RAM is running at way lower speed

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:37 AM PDT

    I recently built a new pc, and the ram I used was a GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 8GB 3200Mhz
    I used a lot of softwares to benchmark my PC and even the task manager shows that my ram is running at 2133Mhz, am I using a faulty software to measure my RAM's speed or is there anything I can do to make my RAM run at the specified speed.

    The full spec sheet is :
    Ryzen 5 3400g (2nd generation)
    Gigabyte B450
    Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 3200Mhz
    Corsair CV450
    Adata xpg gammix s5 256gb ssd
    Seagate 1TB 7200Mhz HDD

    submitted by /u/ligmabowlsmen
    [link] [comments]

    Which psu should I buy for msi ventus rtx 3070 ti?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 02:40 AM PDT

    I managed to get my hands on msi ventus 3x rtx 3070 ti OC . I want an psu for it that already has 8 x 2 pin connecters. I do not know much about computers I don't know if the graphics card includes the power connecter or the psu. But I am pretty sure that ventus rtx 3070 ti uses 8 x 2 pin connecters.

    submitted by /u/Watermelonboicoryou
    [link] [comments]

    Build Upgrade recommendations for around $1000?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:24 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I am heading off to college in a couple of months and wanted to upgrade my PC so that it could run CAD Software (Solidworks, Vectorworks, etc), Video Edit (as a hobby), and play some games on the side. I currently have a pre-built computer that I had purchased a few years ago and was wondering what components I would be able to purchase for around $1000 in order to maximize the performance.

    Here are the specs (current pre-build):

    • MOBO: A320M Motherboard
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    • RAM: 2x8 sticks DDR4 (not sure of the brand, but it says TeamGroup)
    • COOLER: 3 x 120mm Front, 1 x 120 mm Back, and 1 x Cooler Master CPU Fan
    • POWERSUPPLY: Kratos M1 550B
    • CASE: SkyTech Blaze Standard Case

    Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NV1ZTHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1#customerReviews (not the exact same, but pretty similar from the same company)

    Thank you for all the help! I am willing to take any advice that I can!

    submitted by /u/Augustinep725
    [link] [comments]

    Transfer nvme

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:20 AM PDT

    Hi, so I am currently building a new gaming rig, and have kept my old sata nvme, it is fully wiped but with windows on it, I would like to purchase a new pcie nvme. Would it be possible to transfer the data, if not, could I use them together?

    submitted by /u/JAXpot787
    [link] [comments]

    samsung b die ram question

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 06:08 AM PDT

    Reposting from another sub, wanted to make sure before I spend the money on one of these.

    Looking at these two kits

    https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232905?Description=g%20skill%203600%20c16%2032gb&cm_re=g_skill%203600%20c16%2032gb-_-20-232-905-_-Product

    https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374093?Description=G%20SKILL%20NEO&cm_re=G_SKILL%20NEO-_-20-374-093-_-Product&quicklink=true

    Both 32gb 3600 but one is cl14 and one is cl16. According to reviews both are samsung B die, dual rank. My question is, if they're both b die, are you just paying for the more aggressive xmp profile on the cl14 neo? Or is the cl14 neo ram actually binned better than the cl16 and should theoretically overclock better?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GetSkulled
    [link] [comments]

    PC won’t turn on

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 05:54 AM PDT

    So I've had some performance issues with my computer for a little while now, and today I was just casually running a Cinebench R23 benchmark when my computer kept freezing. So I went into the bios, downclocked my cpu and voltage, however it kept happening, and then eventually my computer crashed out of the bios. I noticed that on my ASUS b350ma motherboard a solid orange light is lit near my IO and near the GPU slot. My system is about 5 years old with a newly upgraded Ryzen 5 3600. Fans all turn in when I press the power but it stays at a black screen, can anyone plz help xx

    submitted by /u/jakebarley7
    [link] [comments]

    200-250$ Monitor for games ?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 05:25 AM PDT

    Heya, I'm just looking for a monitor under 250$ to play games in the best visual quality with:

    - 1080p

    - 60Hz (not playing at more than 60fps)

    - 24'' (not sure if I should go for 27''🤔 )

    submitted by /u/Lusiferu
    [link] [comments]

    Is the GT 1030 good for a temporary GPU?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 05:18 AM PDT

    I've Asked this question here in this subreddit (I think), but is the GT 1030 (DDR5)a good temporary GPU? So far in my country the prices for this GPU hasn't inflated. I plan to use it for 1 and 1 half year or at least until GPU prices stabilize. I plan to use it with a I3 - 4170 in a old Office PC I recently got. Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/Boxheadguy102
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment