• Breaking News

    Monday, May 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 31, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 31, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 31, 2021

    Posted: 31 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My dad is the MVP.

    Posted: 30 May 2021 09:38 AM PDT

    So I've recently bought a big part of my new gaming pc. I went with:

    • Ryzen 7 5800x
    • Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
    • 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz
    • NZXT X73
    • 1TB Samsung evo 970 SSD NVMe
    • 2TB Samsung qvo 860 SSD

    Yesterday I was talking to my dad about the RTX3080 and I really wanted one to complete my build but that they're out of stock or overpriced by 2-3x right now. He said he hoped they'd drop in price soon or that I'd be able to find one.

    This morning I went over to get a cup of coffee with him and he told me he ordered the last HP Omen 30L, with a RTX3080 built in, that was in stock in our county. He explained that he actually wanted a new pc to work with, but doesn't need the GPU. So he said that he knew how much I wanted the 3080, I could have the 3080 in exchange for my old gtx670.

    I was so dumbfounded and amazed he would do that. Truly great.

    Hopefully the custom 3080s they use for omen builds will fit normally.

    So excited!

    Edit: thanks for all the awards and kind words! Restaurants are opening up here soon and I'm gonna take him out for a nice seafood dinner as it's what he really likes!

    Edit2: thanks for all the tips on cases, will look into them!

    submitted by /u/Saerinmeister
    [link] [comments]

    Looking at buying parts for a mid-high end gaming PC. Would what I have chosen work?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 06:54 AM PDT

    As said in the title, I have a list of parts (Plus a couple of extra unnecessary fun things like LED strips) around the price range of £1,790 ($2,543 USD). I am quite new to looking at/into PC parts so before I begin to purchase (and when GPUs are actually available) I would like to know I won't have really made any mistakes. (I also, as you could tell if you were to look at these products, adore RGB!)
    TL;DR Do these all work well together? Thanks!

    -Razer Tomahawk ATX Chasse

    -AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU

    -NVIDIA MSI GAMING Trio GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GPU

    -ASRock AMD Ryzen B550 Taichi Razer Edition MOBO

    -G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 16GB Memory

    -ADATA XPG S40G 512GB RAM SSD

    -Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

    -Lian-Li Galahad 360mm CPU Cooler

    -CORSAIR TX750M Semi-Modular ATX PSU 750W PSU

    -Lian-Li Bora Digital 120mm fans (x3)

    (I will also be using Lian-Li RGB CPU and GPU cables)

    submitted by /u/KeirTecheon
    [link] [comments]

    I'm having trouble with getting my pc to boot properly, red light on motherboard.

    Posted: 31 May 2021 07:51 AM PDT

    When I turn my computer on sometimes it works as it should and boots windows. More recently when I turn it on a red light turns on on the motherboard, and it displays a blank black/grey screen and doesn't do anything until I turn it off. For some reason... I found that the way to get around this is to unplug every single wire from the back of my pc and then turn it on (obviously except the AC, sometimes I leave the display port cord in too and it still works). Doing this allows the pc to boot with no problems. Pretty weird right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/soraWRLD
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a difference between manufacturers? (gpus)

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:36 PM PDT

    Does it matter what company I get my graphics card from? For example, say I want to get a 3090. If I get one from Nvidia and one from Gigabyte, will one be more powerful than the other or will there be any benefits to getting one compared to the other? Are there other companies that have better ones, or is there no difference at all? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/lmnj21
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know a gpu for running minecraft?

    Posted: 30 May 2021 05:25 AM PDT

    That's about it, under 500$ would be pretty good, oh, and I kinda know that mc can be run on a potato, but I want shaders lol

    submitted by /u/randomshit66
    [link] [comments]

    Micro center?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:13 PM PDT

    Is micro center a viable way to get pc parts during this time cuz I'm trying to build my first full on pc but I don't wanna spend a fortune and now it's even more expensive than usual

    submitted by /u/3nderSP
    [link] [comments]

    It is possible to upgrade ryzen on laptop ?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 12:37 PM PDT

    i have a pc (HP Laptop 15s-eq0078nf).

    It has an "AMD Ryzen ™ 5 3500U (2.1 GHz base clock, up to 3.7 GHz max boost clock, 4 MB L3 cache, 4 cores)" processor.

    It is possible to improve it to switch to a more powerful model ?????
    thank's

    submitted by /u/Melodic_Rule
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Windows on a single 500gb partition OR Formatting said NVME into 2, 50gb + 450gb, partitions and installing Windows on the smaller?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 06:31 AM PDT

    Got a 500gb Kingston's A2000. What makes more sense, performance-wise?

    >Installing Windows on a single 500gb partition

    OR

    >Formatting said NVME into 2, 50gb + 450gb, partitions and installing Windows on the smaller?

    submitted by /u/CaptainDogeSparrow
    [link] [comments]

    Serious FPS drops and stuttering

    Posted: 31 May 2021 05:29 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    Looking for some help please (I am knew to reddit btw).

    My Specs-

    Intel® Core™ i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

    GTX 1070

    16 GB DDr3 RAM

    MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)

    BIOS Date: 07/21/14 11:03:17 Ver: V1.9B0

    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

    1TB HDD ST1000DM003-1CH162

    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

    Now I do understand my mobo is old but kids and medical stuff I work with what I've got lol.

    My custom baby has been doing well for ages always getting steady fps and able to play games no issues, however over the past month or so I've been getting some serious issues with fps of 20 at many points and bad stuttering.

    I had chocked it up to the windows 10 update issue however I believe that has been fixed now so I'm at a loss, gaming is my one enjoyable thing and I can't even enjoy it anymore so far I've tried the follwoing-

    Clean install of windows

    Clean install of all drivers

    Reinstalling games

    I've cleaned out my rig of dust etc and even cleaned and reapplied thermal paste to my cpu/liquid cooling system.

    Adjusted game settings and nvidia settings

    Adjusted some settings in Bios even

    Installed and tried- BES, ISLC, CORSAIR iCUE (monitoring temps etc)

    I am at a loss I am just hoping someone may be able to help and hopefully find the reason and I can fix it, just hoping I don't need to replace hardware as I can't.

    Cheers everyone and sorry of this post is a bit long.

    submitted by /u/Patchzzz666
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t decide between prebuilds. Should I invest in water cooled system over Air cooled? All help and information will be taken on board.

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:09 PM PDT

    Hey reddit,

    I thought I would first preface that I have a basic understanding of pc components. I have been extensively researching for the last 2 months in order to get fully equipped to buy a prebuilt model, however I believe I am now at the point of information overload and finding flaws where they are probably irrelevant.

    My 7 year old pc has finally given in and given the state of parts, especially here in Australia, I have accepted to pay an increase in overall prices for something that would have longevity.

    My top pick right now is an NZXT somewhat customisable rig which is the only provider here that has the ability to customise parts (even if there are only 2 or 3 to chose between).

    Build - h510, ryzen 5 3600, asus 3070 dual OC, b550 aorus pro, gskill tridentz 3600mhz (2x8gb),seagate 2tb HD's, aorus 512 m.2 ssd, deepcool gammax gte v2 cooler and nzxt c750 gold.

    Should I be looking at the kraken m22 liquid cooling unit? I haven't looked into cooling all too much. Liquid cooling does "scare me" in the sense I have never known anyone or dealt with it before. The case comes with 2 stock 120mm fans.

    Side note- if any aussies have bought prebuilds I would appreciate any recommendations!

    submitted by /u/hawkei93
    [link] [comments]

    Prebuilt for $1000 Canadian dollars worth it?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:59 PM PDT

    Good deal?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 01:22 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I wanted some other opinions on this before I pull the trigger. I found this PC for sale nearby of fb marketplace for $1500. I'm looking to upgrade from my GTX 760 with an i7-3770k, so this will no doubt provide a boost in performance, but considering I already have a PSU and HDD+ram I could bring over for a new build, would this still make sense to buy outright? I see 2070s alone selling for $1000+ so this seems like a no brained? Prove me wrong if my thinking is flawed. Thank you all.

    CPU: 17 10700kf Gpu: RTX 2070 Super Mobo: MSI Z490-A Pro Ram: Delta 2X8GB 3000 RGB PSU: EVGA 600 Gold Cyberpower CPU AIO Adata 120gb SSD 1TB barracuda hdd Coolermaster masterbox K500 case RGB fans

    submitted by /u/Crispy_Sand
    [link] [comments]

    My friend's 5700XT crashes on almost everything he plays

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:55 PM PDT

    So my friend built his PC not too long ago and everything worked fine, up until he tried to play a newer game, which it crashed on. Borderlands 3, RDR2, Apex Legends, and tons of other recent games don't work at all but older games like GTA V, Overwatch, etc. work just fine. Can someone please tell me what the problem is? We've tried installing new drivers, resetting everything and using AMD cleanup but nothing has worked so far. Does he not have enough memory? Did he maybe do something wrong during the build? Thank you, this has been plaguing him for months.

    submitted by /u/Chris_is_Bliss
    [link] [comments]

    What's the deal monitor prices?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:54 PM PDT

    I'm currently looking to replace my monitor with something newer as the one I've been using is over 6 years old. While I was looking for monitors I asked a few of my friends how much they bought theirs for and it seems like a lot of them who bought monitors last year got them at significantly cheaper prices than they go for now.

    That being said, is there a "best" time of year to buy a monitor? I was going to buy this one but one of my friends actually bought the same one about a year ago and got it for like 80 dollars less. Should I wait to get a new monitor if it's not urgent or just bite the bullet and get one now?

    submitted by /u/CreatorIncarnate
    [link] [comments]

    PC Upgrade Help?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:47 PM PDT

    These are my current specs for my PC. I use a 2560x1440 monitor with 165 hz refresh rate.

    I'm looking to upgrade some components. I want to get more fps with games like Warzone, Overwatch, and Wow. What recommendations would you make to improve my fps overall?

    GPU, Ram, Processor, Etc? Need some help, thanks!

    • Intel Core i5 8600K Processor 3.7GHz
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
    • 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
    • 250GB SSD+1TB HDD
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    • ASUS 24x DVDRW Drive.
    submitted by /u/soiled44
    [link] [comments]

    Would this be a good build for a gaming PC?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:39 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yrq9mk

    I don't know which GPU I'm going to get yet, but I'm leaving the $600 as a placeholder.

    submitted by /u/MrCoffeeBean4568
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take you guys to build a computer start to finish?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    Something's wrong with my new NVMe drive

    Posted: 31 May 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    Hello! I recently bought a new NVMe drive (Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8) since I wanted to increase the storage capacity of my PC. My current specs are:

    MSI B450-A PRO (latest BIOS update, A.G3 22/04/2021) Ryzen 5 3600 (OC 4.0GHz) 4x8GB HyperX Predator 3200MHz Sapphire RX590 8GB Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 Seagate Barracuda 1TB Samsung SSD 850EVO

    Before I bought the NVMe, the Samsung drive was my C:, but when I bought the Crucial I moved the system to it so that the Samsung became my secondary drive. The Seagate is just for backup.

    My issue is that I feel the NVMe is really slower than the Samsung, something that is also confirmed by the CrystalDiskMark I just ran on both of them. Another red flag is that while the HDD LED on the case stays solid on when the Samsung operates, it blinks regularly when the NVMe is being accessed instead. Also Windows takes several seconds (40 seconds more and less) to show the Welcome screen, and the circular spinner that goes really slow after a few seconds (I mean 1-2 FPS if that would be a measure).

    Screenshots:

    Crucial NVMe benchmark Samsung SSD benchmark HWiNFO64

    So... I really feel like I did something stupid. I tried to look around in the BIOS but couldn't find anything really relevant. If someone could give me a hint, that would be awesome!

    submitted by /u/lorthirk
    [link] [comments]

    Really annoying mouse stutter problem

    Posted: 31 May 2021 05:45 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've recently had a really annoying problem with my mouse and keybaord,

    It's just stuttering and stops functioning in the middle of any activity like movement video games or just dragging and selecting stuff with the mouse.

    For example if i press W to walk in a video game it starts walking but then stops even though i was still pressing the key. then after some seconds it resumes walking but then stops again.

    The same with the mouse, i try to select some files by dragging the mouse cursor on the home screen but it "drops" the selection even tho i was still pressing the button. like it was losing its grip or something.

    It's really annoying and creepy and the worst part it started in my old PC and continued to my newly built PC.

    I was trying to update drivers for the mouse and motherboard but it didn't help, i also tried to switch the usb ports but it didn't fix the problem.

    My mouse is a wired razer 3500 deathadder and the keyboard is a simple logitech MK250 wireless keyboard.

    The PC itself is brand new really high end PC with rtx 3080, ryzen 5 5600, tuf gaming-b550 plus and and high memory.

    submitted by /u/Duke_of_Judea
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot choose what PC to buy

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:54 PM PDT

    Hi folks, I have to choose one from two PCs. Which one can you suggest? They have the same price 1000$.

    1. HP Pavilion Gaming TG01-1121nc Black

    Intel Core i5 10400 Comet Lake NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB 512 gb M.2 (NVMe) 16Gb DDR4 2 666 MHz

    1. Acer Aspire TC-895

    Intel Core i5 10400F Comet Lake NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6Gb HDD 7200x 1000Gb 8Gb DDR4 2 133 MHz

    If I will not waste money for immediate upgrade, which one do you suggest? PS All money I have is just for buying one and no upgrades in the next several months .

    submitted by /u/_less_or_more
    [link] [comments]

    I need some suggestions for my build. Most components known.

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:52 PM PDT

    Build Help/Ready:

    Have you read the sidebar and rules? (Please do)

    Yes

    What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

    VM server

    If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

    NA

    What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

    2k

    In what country are you purchasing your parts?

    USA

    Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

    3590x, Teamgroup 32GB RAM, 2x 980 M2, 8550 mobo, NH-U14S fan

    Provide any additional details you wish below.

    I'm looking for suggestions on cases, PSU. I'll probably grab an old graphics card from another PC. Key: I want max airflow in this thing to cool this CPU.

    NOTE: You do not have to follow this format, but please be sure to answer these questions. Please do not ask to simply be given a build. You are welcome to delete this section.

    submitted by /u/sephstorm
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware price before Covid was a thing - Question from a noob

    Posted: 31 May 2021 11:41 AM PDT

    I have been a console player for almost 20 years. I always thought that consoles were just better. During the Covid quarantine I became more and more fascinated by PC gaming, at the point that I bought RAM, SSD, M&K for my 2015 laptop and now I'm playing some old games with it (and I'm loving it).

    The fact is that prices for PC hardware rn are over the top and I can't afford a decent GPU. Maybe I could get a GT 1030 or an RX 550, but I don't think that it would be worth at all.

    The question is pretty simple. How was the market before the pandemic. If someone wanted to make a gaming machine in, let's say, 2017-2018, that could make every game run at ultra settings (idk maybe with something equivalent to the rtx 3000), how much he had to pay?

    submitted by /u/AndrexPic
    [link] [comments]

    Hello ! Just a question, if anyone can help me out :)

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:18 PM PDT

    Hey guys !

    I've been playing video games for a long time, I've currently got an old computer that I use to game, can barely run anything lol! I play games like Rocket League and Minecraft. I want to expand my game range and play fun games like Cyberpunk or Call of Duty, but when I try run these games I think my PC might explode xD.

    I'm just wondering, what's the best place to buy a PC, my budget is like $500, if I can't get anything good with that just say! If you think its best that I save up some more money then maybe that would be the best option, because I've been doing some research and a lot of the gaming PCs seem to be like $1500 or $2000!!!

    Anyways the point is, do you think I can get a solid PC and where can I get it from for $500? :)

    Thank you !

    submitted by /u/123Gangstaa
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a PC case with great aiflow that supports high end components.

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:16 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, just wondering what peoples' recommendations are when it comes to bigger PC cases/cases optimised for aiflow? I have a high end PC (2080tTi, i9-9900k) and my current corsair case doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore. It's getting to that time of the year where its getting hot outside, and even with a good fan curve set up my PC is shutting off due to temps running too high. Can anyone recommend a good case? I'm not too fussed when it comes to price, just looking for something maybe more spacious with better airflow.

    Cheers :)

    submitted by /u/SkyrimSlag
    [link] [comments]

    are these temps good while gaming?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:07 PM PDT

    GPU: gigabyte rtx 2060 windforce

    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

    my gpu runs at 65-72c and my cpu never goes over 63c while gaming, are these good temps?

    submitted by /u/woobz1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment