• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 23, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 23, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 23, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 23, 2021

    Posted: 23 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Bought psu from newegg but didn't realize it's coming from China

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:45 PM PDT

    Can I cancel the order when it's sitting at FedEx in China immediately? I'd rather get it from Amazon, same price but Wednesday. Who knows how long it can get stuck in China :(

    submitted by /u/Armeniandave1
    [link] [comments]

    What differences have you guys noticed from using a better mouse?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 10:40 AM PDT

    So I prioritized my keyboard much higher over my mouse because I'm a quick typer and need something that will be easy on my fingers and be reliable, and have a relatively nice board with MX Clears that costed me $80.

    Though I'm currently using some random Chinese "gaming" mouse that's probably a dime a dozen. It's light as a feather and feels... fine. I guess I haven't seen any real reason to replace it.

    That's why I'm asking you folks. What difference does a nicer mouse make?

    submitted by /u/DerpMaster2
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks to the sub, I successfully revived my GPU !!

    Posted: 22 May 2021 07:11 AM PDT

    Hey !

    So, I have to say first that I'm not that used to reddit. But I want to thank you all !

    Quite a long time ago (2014), I bough a GPU on sale, it was an R9 270X, a very capable GPU back in the days, less nowadays though. But still capable enough for my needs.

    But in the last year, I started to have more and more graphical glitches in games/3D apps, the card started to overheat and shut down the whole system, at a point that I couldn't game with it anymore. Also it would crash seemingly randomly after some time when watching just some youtube videos.

    Back in the days, I tried EVERYTHING ! Afterburner, DDU and reinstall drivers, unplug and plug it back on again ... Nothing worked.

    Until one day, my PC just wouldn't turn of after another crash. I thought my GPU died, and so I had to buy another one, with the money I had (I settled on an RX550 that I found on amazon) a bit pricey, but I didn't had a choice.

    But, after lurking around here and on the internet, and especially on here, there seemed to be quite a lot of peoples that popped their GPU in an oven, and suddenly, it came back to life.

    I was very skeptical to say the least, baking a GPU ? I'm no cook but that seemed fishy. But, thinking I had nothing to loose, since the card didn't worked, I disassembled it, and popped it into an oven, following said instructions. (pre-heat at 200°C then put in for 10 minutes, and let cool with the door closed.)

    After changing the thermal paste and reassembling it, it worked perfectly ! No more glitches, no more overheating !

    But now, I had 2 GPUs, so, I decided to give this one to my dad, who allowed me to use his oven to thank him. (He really was tired of his old GeForce 9300 SE, especially when he had a ryzen 9.)

    So, yeah ! Just, thanks all, if it wasn't for this subreddit, I would have probably never done that, and let my dead GPU on a shelf !

    TL;DR : This sub showed me how to save a GPU with an oven, and it worked perfectly !

    EDIT : Of course, I cycled the oven and aerated it (and the whole room it was in) and we cleaned it deeply before reusing it
    And thanks all for the awards, not sure what they do ? But they are appreciated !

    submitted by /u/Rfogj
    [link] [comments]

    Thanks Saint Carlos

    Posted: 23 May 2021 10:34 AM PDT

    Was helping my 8th grader nephew with his first build at Microcenter in NOVA. GPU selection was (no surprise) limited but as we checked out my boy Carlos said he overheard our plight and found an RTX for him, on a day they weren't even re-stocking. YOU THE REAL ONE CARLOS. Thanks for making my nephew's first build magic, love this community.

    submitted by /u/SeaBreezy
    [link] [comments]

    No power on Build. Did full PSU swap, still no power. Need Guidance

    Posted: 23 May 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    I have a 5yr old build that I gifted to a friend. My friend mentioned that the computer would boot up and then power off, eventually to the point now where it doesn't boot up at all.

    My initial thought was that it was a power supply issue. We did a full PSU swap this weekend, ensured all the cables were connected correctly, CPU, 24pin, PCI(GPU), and the SATA Cables. Still, no power coming from the unit.

    The next diagnosis was that maybe it was the motherboard (which we hoped not). But the new PSU unit is showing a green light on the motherboard, showing it's getting juice. So if the motherboard was dead, I would believe that the green light wouldn't show?

    The only thing that struck my attention inside the computer was that the front-line connectors, POWER SW, RESET, LED were on the wrong pins. It's leading me to believe that maybe the chassis wiring is faulty for being on the wrong pins before. I'm thinking it might be the case. But, I also tried to put RESET SW on the POWER SW slot and press the reset button to see if that would work, still no power. Then we tried the jerry-rig way of taking off the POWER SW front-line connection and keeping the PSU on, plugged in, and touching the two pins with a screwdriver to see if we could boot it up the janky way, still no power.

    I'm not sure what it is at this point. It's either the mobo or the case, but before buying new parts and trying it, I wanted to see if someone here would know better based on the above.

    Really appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/marlinbird5
    [link] [comments]

    My craigslist pc is overheating

    Posted: 23 May 2021 05:39 AM PDT

    I bought a custom built PC for around $200 off craigslist about 4 years ago. I mostly use it to play FFXIV, Overwatch and a selection of indie/retro games.

    After long play sessions or especially in the summer it overheats and shutsdown. Usually a can of duster and a good cleaning gets it going again but the time between issues has been getting shorter and shorter.

    I thought about getting a new prebuilt but the ones I see listed on newegg or microcenter, and the ones talked about on this subreddit are $1,000 to $2,000, which is way out of my budget.

    So my question is if I should take my PC in for repair, see if a deep cleaning/ new heat paste will fix it. Or if anyone knows a prebuilt that will run what I play that's closer to the $400 range.

    Also if there is a better subreddit for this question please let me know. I looked at a few but this seemed like the best place. It also seemed like too much info for the simple questions thread.

    My PC Components (from dxdiag)

    CPU : AMD FX-8320E

    GPU : AMD Radeon R7 370

    Memory : 8192 mb RAM

    Edit: thank you everyone for all the advice and help! Im researching how to reapply paste and checking out fans. I'm also going to look into turning off some cores and seeing if I can still play OW.

    submitted by /u/MacedWindow
    [link] [comments]

    Thermal paste question

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:56 PM PDT

    I just got a cooler master hyper 212 for my PC. Should I use the thermal paste that came in the box or the arctic Silver five that I already have?

    submitted by /u/ZestyGarlicPickles
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to/How do I protect my PC from power outages/blackouts?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 03:42 AM PDT

    I live in Iran and recently they started cutting the power for 2 hours 3 times a week. Right now a new GPU would cost me 2000$ here. So i'm scared that the power outages would kill my GPU :( i would not be able to afford one and I really need a PC.

    I googled around and found a few options: Surge protects,UPS and Stabilizers seem to be some options, but i'm confused about which one should I get.

    I already have a power strip with 3 LEDS and a 3 digit display that shows the voltage, it's supposed to be a surge protector but it's from an Iranian company I don't trust. is this enough? if not what should I get? my non-iranian options are pretty much the xiaomi power strips. if power gets cut off it takes 1m to turn back on if that's any indicator of how it works.

    I also noticed that voltage stabilizers are relatively affordable. should I get one of those? do any of these really protect me from a sudden cut off?

    I don't think I can afford a UPS right now but i'll try to get one if it's really important. but those barely manage 3m of runtime. I need to be alarmed or nearby to quickly turn my PC off before it runs out. and they're so bulky it seems. they might not fit in my room very easily. So what do you all think? what should I do? does my PSU + Surge protector already do enough? am I being paraenoid?

    Sorry for the long post

    submitted by /u/LavendarAmy
    [link] [comments]

    Game on different monitors each game.

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:05 PM PDT

    Hey all! So I have a different type of games which I want to play on specific screens. I want to play my shooters on my main monitor and racing games on my tv. Is there any easy way to set it up for each game? Now every game will start up on my main monitor. However I want some games to be played on my tv without going through alot of hassle before launching each game. I know I can just make my tv the main screen for a moment if I want to play in that but I'll probably have to switch the setting next time I want to play a shooter on my desktop monitor.

    Thanks in advance!

    Greetings.

    submitted by /u/Grphixs
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming PC suffers very noticable lag/performance dip after being left on for 2-3 days

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:32 PM PDT

    I previously made this post and was told it may be a memory leak, but I don't entirely believe that now after some testing.

    I have a somewhat powerful gaming PC (Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB DDR4-3600 RAM, RTX 3070) and it works great. However, I noticed that if I don't shut it down every day, it gets noticeably slower in performance each day that I leave it on. I notice the performance issues the most when moving windows across my screen - my main monitor is a 1440p monitor running at 165hz, and upon a brand new reboot, windows glide across the monitor with ease and zero lag. After 2-3 days of leaving my PC on, moving windows across the screen have significant lag and stuttering. I also notice web pages and programs open much slower than on the day of the reboot.

    I previously was recommended that it may be a memory leak, and to test leaving it on with certain programs open, however I do not think this is the case. I have left my PC on for three days so far and the only program left open was Razer Synapse, and the lag still occurs. Task manager reports only a 8-10% memory usage, and there does not seem to be any additional memory allocated that I can see in task manager. CPU levels have never been above 10%.

    Does anyone know why this occurs? I know I can just reboot my PC to fix the issue, but I'd like to figure out exactly why this happens.

    submitted by /u/SiriusTurtle
    [link] [comments]

    Is this good value for money??

    Posted: 23 May 2021 02:14 PM PDT

    MSI bios zoomed in?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 02:11 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I posted earlier about my msi bios looking really messed up (image MSI issue https://imgur.com/gallery/zcpCSS1 )

    To update on this: I switched to 1 monitor instead of 2 and now it seems that my bios is zoomed in and its not the mobo being faulty.

    I can arrow key scroll down + enter to the m-flash which is off screen so I'm pretty certain it's a zoom issue.

    I've checked my monitor settings and tried setting things to fill, altered resolution for the monitors, switched the connection between hdmi and video cable and nothing seems to fix the zoomed in bios.

    Here is an image of what I'm dealing with: Msi https://imgur.com/gallery/icSTeVO

    Has anyone any idea as to what would best resolve the issue?

    Thank you,

    submitted by /u/4StringKiller
    [link] [comments]

    Headset with good volume/mute control?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    So I'm looking for a new gaming headset after my old one broke, but even the more expensive ones have these shitty volume/mic controls, where u have to slide up and down or scroll, to mute/unmute or change volume. Some headsets also have those on the headset itself(the Blackshark V2, I had) which I dislike aswell, since I can't see if I'm muted or unmuted and forget it most of the time. My old 20€ headset had a way better control, because it were buttons that u could push and it would blink if it was muted, so you always know. Are there headsets(or mod mics) that are maybe similiar to that? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41WI-3Zu5CL._AC_.jpg

    submitted by /u/BigDickBubi
    [link] [comments]

    Computer fan in the middle of the case

    Posted: 23 May 2021 01:25 PM PDT

    I added thermal dissipators on my 3090 (I don't mine) because I think it's overheating and makes my computer shutdown at some point (I never saw it throttle down tbh, it just render like there is no tomorrow).

    83C last recorded before shutdown.

    So I want to add an additionnal fan blowing on the thermal dissipators to get the most of that setup.

    I can power the fan with a sata adapter (or a motherboard port if there is even one more). But I want some advice on that, precisely how to mount the fan safely (do I just put the fan flat on my gpu ?).

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Duuuuuuuuuuh
    [link] [comments]

    Flash bios with new cpu installed

    Posted: 23 May 2021 11:06 AM PDT

    Hi, so I have an x570 MOBO and I have my 5950 installed already.

    It has never been updated before so it's most likely not compatible at this time.

    Can I update the bios while the cpu is installed or do I need to take it out first?

    Edit: I was able to update the bios while it was fully built but now I have other issues like VGA error 02 and such.. going to open a ticket with MSI support. Thanks for all the suggestions!

    submitted by /u/lemonade124
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple argb components, one header

    Posted: 23 May 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    So I've built a watercooled pc in a NZXT H710 and have a couple of components with an argb connector (pump and two waterblocks). Now I want to add two LianLi Strimers which also use argb. My Asus x570 prime pro has only one header and I've been wrecking my brain figuring out how to connect all these components. I've seen splitter cables, but I'm doubtfull 3A (max 120 Led according to manual) can power the lot and I'm also doubtfull I can control the two Strimer properly. I've also been looking at the possibility to use my commander pro and lightning node pro, but the only cable to use the two is US based (Euro resident here). Anyone who has faced a similar problem and found a solution?

    submitted by /u/ICU-AVD
    [link] [comments]

    Asus TUF x570 wifi mobo issue?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    So I bought this computer someone built off of facebook. it was brand new all parts new according to seller. Originally I had 4x8 GB stick of TridentZ Neo 3600mhz ram inside and it was working fine for about a month. Then one day I restarted and the computer wouldnt post and the orange DRAM light was lit on the motherboard. Reseated the ram, it did post but after a few seconds the computer shut off and the RGB on the ram was still lit. Could not turn back on with power button had to flip power supply switch back on and off. After more fiddling I was able to get into bios and disable D.O.C.P. and it was fine again. But any time I re-enabled that it would do the same thing. Eventually even with the D.O.C.P disabled it did it again. So A buddy of mine let me borrow a single 8gb stick from his prebuilt and it worked fine. Still couldnt enable D.O.C.P. . Went out and bought a brand new ram set of Vengeance PRO 16g 3200mhz because I thought my tridentz neo was dead and nope, same issue. Except I can use a 8gb single stick of the vengeance not two. Enabling D.O.C.P. just makes the situation worse and im stuck using a 8gb stick and cant even set it too 3200. Any help?

    Ryzen 7 3700X

    Asus TUF x570 wifi

    submitted by /u/horizonyo
    [link] [comments]

    MSI bios settings button not working

    Posted: 23 May 2021 07:58 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I recently built a pc with the following:

    MSI GeForce RTX 3070

    Corsair Vengeance rgb Pro 32gb (2x16)

    MSI Z390 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon

    The rest of the pc is irrelevant for the issue I'm having.

    I've used the pc now for 3 months without fault and wanted to access the bios to enable the XMP option for my ram (due to a recent overclock made with msi afterburner)

    The problem is that when I enter the bios page it shows 2 buttons that say "off" at the top. Clicking the left one puts my fans to 100% and idk what the right one enables.

    Under that is a single button labeled as settings.

    When I click the settings button, nothing happens. It won't let me go any further. The bios doesn't look like it use to at all and this is pretty much all there is on the bios screen.

    Could anyone recommend a resolve to this issue or know of a way to fix it?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/4StringKiller
    [link] [comments]

    RAM Compatibility 1Rx8 with 1Rx16?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:52 PM PDT

    This is likely a super simple question, but with a lot of Googling I couldn't figure out the answer.

    I recently bought a laptop with 1 onboard stick of Kingston 8gb 3200Mhz, Cl22 DDR4 SODIMM RAM, and one open slot. I bought a stick from someone else who bought the same laptop at the same time, that I thought was identical to fill the other slot. All the specs I just mentioned are the same, but it turns out one is 1Rx8 and one is 1Rx16...

    I get the basic difference in chip layout (visible from looking at the two chips), but I can't seem to find if that will have an impact on performance. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/JustWhateverForever
    [link] [comments]

    Weird smell coming from computer

    Posted: 23 May 2021 10:25 AM PDT

    I built my first PC in February of this year, so far everything has been fine but recently a weird smell has been coming from it. The best description I have is it smells like an outlet or something electrical when it gets really hot. I unplugged everything and nothing felt too hot, not even the PSU or the fans. The smell is definitely coming from inside the tower, however I don't know where or what. No burn marks on anything, no extremely hot parts of the device, just the smell. Could it just be dust? Maybe just that new PC smell lingering on? Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Sir_Quazar
    [link] [comments]

    Tilting Noctua Heatsink?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 10:24 AM PDT

    Building a new pc/server in a small case, installed a Noctua NH-U12S fan.

    It's not perfectly straight up and down, though. The mounting screws are set, and the fan seems solidly mounted. Is this a cause for concern? The fan is new out of box. Never used a Noctua heatsink before, and don't know what to expect.

    See attached photo https://imgur.com/18RyAot

    submitted by /u/oreganoe
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good websites to visit to help me build a PC?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 12:34 PM PDT

    So I'm in the process of picking parts to build a PC and I'm not sure what websites I should be going to. A lot of the people I know that built their PC's(Pre-Covid) said to go to Newegg and one or two of my friends bought from iBuyPower. I've checked out both of the sites but with Newegg I feel like there's too much going on, and with iBuyPower I don't have enough control over what I'm making, so I'm looking for something kind of in the middle. Any help with this would be great!

    submitted by /u/grassytree3264
    [link] [comments]

    Remove all traces of Windows from SSD

    Posted: 23 May 2021 03:16 AM PDT

    No idea what's going on.

    I have 4 SSDs, the relevant ones for this issue are these 3:

    • (C:) = New NVME 1GB SSD.
    • (D:) = Old 256GB that had the OS on it.
    • (E:) = Old 128GB SSD that was empty.

    I bought a new drive (C:), I wanted to use it as my OS drive (fresh install) and wipe my old OS drive (D:).

    Before doing the fresh install, I moved my personal files (Desktop, Documents etc.) from (D:) to (E:).

    During the windows fresh install wizard, I wiped every partition of (D:), so now it became an unallocated drive. (D:) is now out of the picture.

    Problem is:

    In my BIOS its showing windows boot manager under (E:) and not (C:) (in fact (E:) is the only boot manager it shows).

    What is this? Why does (E:) have traces of windows on it if I just pasted personal files on it? I want anything that has to do with windows to be strictly on (C:).

    This is a screenshot of disk management: https://imgur.com/a/O53BrX8

    Disks 0 and 1 (which are purely storage) are showing just one partition. While Disk 2 (the one with the Windows issue) is showing multiple.

    submitted by /u/Kwtop
    [link] [comments]

    New gaming PC build. Anything I should change/add?

    Posted: 23 May 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    So I have a new gaming pc build looking to see if anything I should change or add if needed. Any case recommendations or is the case I have a good one? Any better motherboard then what I have (sub $300) on X570? Will the NH D15 fit the case if I do keep the already selected case? Any power supply recommendation?

    Here is the pc parts parts picker link

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n3DDHz

    (going 32gb ram but pc parts parts picker doesn't have the 32gb of ram I want so I added the 64gb ram of the same modules with 32gb price as a place holder)

    I already have the 5900x. Want to get a 3080 but with the way graphics cards are hard to get right now and price that will be a while :(. So for now I'll be using my old AMD HD 5970 ghz edition card till I can find a 3080. Old card I know but I wanted to get a new cpu as my current rig fx8350 is very long in the tooth.

    For comparison just for the Lols here is my current rig.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jWzs7P

    Yep sure is time for an upgrade.

    submitted by /u/Kh3699
    [link] [comments]

    If noise and power usage isn't a concern is there any reason not to leave my air cpu cooler on 100%?

    Posted: 21 May 2021 09:58 PM PDT

    I have a be quiet DRP4 and with my setup it is basically inaudible at full RPM. I have a good PSU and I don't care about the extra power draw potentially affecting my electric bill.

    Is there any reason to not leave my CPU cooler on 100% all the time, or at least, on very high RPM?

    submitted by /u/hcim69
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment