• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 2, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 02, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - May 02, 2021


    Simple Questions - May 02, 2021

    Posted: 02 May 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    It's not much, but I built it from scratch and couldn't be happier with it!

    Posted: 02 May 2021 04:35 AM PDT

    http://imgur.com/gallery/Kvnad8w

    After struggling with my old Ubuntu powered Lenovo I rescued from work (e5500, 4gig of ram, slow ass HDD etc) I decided to spend a bit of my hard earned on a new PC so when my kids come round on the weekend we can enjoy a bit of Minecraft/Roblox at more than 20fps.

    I myself only really play two games, Runescape and Beamng, and my trusty workhorse was really showing its age.

    I don't have alot of money to spare on a new toy so I knew it wouldn't be super powerful but I wanted to build it myself.

    Specs and prices are:

    Ryzen 3 3200g on an MSI A320m pro (£144 bundle) Hyper X fury 2x8gb (£60) Kingston 256gb SSD (£30) Aerocool 550w psu (£30) RGB fans and controller to please the kids! (£25) ionz case (£29) Second hand iilyama monitor (£30)

    It's not the most powerful machine by any means but I'm getting 60-70 fps on Beamng and 50-60 fps on runescape, so much much better than I was getting from my old POS!

    I plan on upgrading to a Ryzen 5 and a half decent GPU at some point but for now this little rig keeps a big smile on my face. I built it, I'm proud of it.

    Also a massive thank you to the buildapc community, I've been reading and searching this subreddit for ages before I built it and I couldn't have done it without all you guys amazing knowledge.

    submitted by /u/_skes_
    [link] [comments]

    how do i explain to my dad that parts on a pre built pc from 2005 cant be used to build a pc to play the graphically demanding games of today?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 12:30 AM PDT

    my dad insists on getting parts from it to build a gaming pc but like how ? its been stuck in storage since 2009 and i doubt it even works anymore lol

    EDIT: THANK YOU ALL FOR THE NICE RESPONSES :D it's my first time posting here so i didn't really know what kind of reaction i would get. coincidentally, he works auto loans in one of the big banks in my country, so i'll be sure to use the car analogies :D

    submitted by /u/librarycalculator
    [link] [comments]

    Pc Got Covid..

    Posted: 02 May 2021 04:50 AM PDT

    Well,. Sort of.. My friend had asked me to borrow my PC while I was a way for a month, didn't mind, and he just got diagnosed with covid today. I'm expected to be back next week and could use my PC.

    Any suggestions on how to "retrieve it" and also disenfect it.

    submitted by /u/Slenkx
    [link] [comments]

    Finished my first build ever

    Posted: 02 May 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    Finally finished my first build after months of waiting for the GPU.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/kIHcfEQ

    Thanks everyone for support!

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/koryze
    [link] [comments]

    M.2 Nvme Vs SSD

    Posted: 02 May 2021 07:14 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I currently have a 500 GB m.2 ssd and a 500 gb sata ssd.

    What my question is do I upgrade to lets say a 2tb m.2 nvme and take out the m.2 I already own,

    or just get another sata ssd to add to the other two storage devices.

    My main uses are gaming and college work thank you!

    submitted by /u/Yager1
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6 Cores VS AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Cores | Which one to Buy?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 06:04 AM PDT

    Both the Processor Cost the Same. Which one Shall i Go With. Motherboard i am planning to buy is
    ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi 6) AMD AM4. Please suggest.

    submitted by /u/mastersandy
    [link] [comments]

    I bought rx 460 (stopgap gpu) for 90 dollars. Do you think its a decent price at current gpu crisis?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 11:30 AM PDT

    btw its 2gb not 4gb but I also have 768p screen

    submitted by /u/TR_mahmutpek
    [link] [comments]

    After crash PC won't POST. problems since switching to RTX 3070 until now system finally failed.

    Posted: 02 May 2021 08:37 AM PDT

    SPECS: MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe

    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i5-7600K 3.80GHZ 6MB

    RAM: 2x8GB (EVO Potenza, budget ram from CyberPower in 2016)

    POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS650M 80 Plus Gold

    GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x

    CURRENT ISSUE, NO POST: PC crashed mid gaming (CSGO). Freeze to black screen. When I power on PC, case fans start, HDD's power on but no ASUS ROG logo splash screen, no POST, no way to reach BIOS. Monitor will wake up, 10 seconds later a screen flickers bright black followed by dark brown and finally black, then monitor goes to sleep Couldn't find any similar instances when googling around, does this look familiar to anyone? the flickering: https://imgur.com/gallery/VmIZQHf

    System frequently had issues waking from sleep since two months back. Sometimes I wouldn't see the issue for days.

    Hypothesis: Initially I thought it was PSU problem, but borrowed friends spare Corsair SF600 Platinum and same issue occurs. Leads me to believe it is Motherboard issue

    TROUBLESHOOT ATTEMPTS: I've tried it all, unplugging individual components to see if anything was prohibiting system from POST.

    On my first few troubleshoot restarts, USB power was available (Mouse/KB lights were on). Many restarts later and USB ports have NO power now. I think first few restarts pc tried to post too, spinning loading circles but no MOBO logo.

    When I remove ram, mobo is still able to detect missing ram and gives the proper yellow LED.

    Tried HDMI for both GPU and motherboard and both produce the same screen flickers.

    • EDIT * Took mobo battery to reset CMOS. No differing results.

    ISSUES I NOTICED SINCE UPGRADING GPU: Lucky enough to have snagged a 3070 in February. Ever since I swapped out by 1050 ti, my PC has had issues waking up from sleep. I tinkered around with Windows hybrid sleep settings but that wasn't it. I would try to wake from sleep and monitors would turn on for a second and then go to sleep, system would never wake but power was running. I would be forced to force restart.

    At the same time I upgraded GPU, I also enabled an Intel Optane Boot Drive, m.2 on my mobo, that was included in my original build but I never activated/used. Though removing the Optane drive during my troubleshoots did not affect the outcome. I'm wondering if maybe the change in GPU may have shorted or affected power consumption in the system. Also is this any indication of issues with the CPU? Thank you so much for giving this post a read, any information could definitely help me diagnose this problem!

    submitted by /u/DeathAndTonic
    [link] [comments]

    Adding more ram or replacing it?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 09:30 AM PDT

    I have 1 stick of G.Skill ddr4 Aegis 16gb 2400mhz and I'm thinking about getting one more ram stick so it can run dual channel. My motherboard can support max 2933mhz and I have overclocked the ram to same speed. I understand that 2 sticks of ram can boost performance because of dual channel.

    Should i get 1 same ram or should I change my ram to 2 8gb sticks?

    submitted by /u/loon365
    [link] [comments]

    No output with 2 ram sticks?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    I'm trying to install a 2nd ram stick to my build, it all runs fine with either stick but when I try to put them both in (slots DIMM A2 and B2) fans fire up etc but I don't get any output through display port or HDMI. I've struggled finding a fix online so anyone had this issue?

    If it matters they're Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks

    submitted by /u/UnknownMotives
    [link] [comments]

    CPU and GPU usage only at 30%

    Posted: 02 May 2021 07:03 AM PDT

    Just as the title says, no matter the game I'm Playing, the usage of both my GPU and CPU are very low, whilst I'm not even getting close to 144FPS (my monitor hz-rate). The following screenshot was taken at 70FPS which would be fine, but it also drops to 40 a fair amount of times. https://imgur.com/a/CbfZ9Vz SPECS: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Prozessor 16 GP RAM EDIT: Here is a USERBENCHMARK https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42624984 UserBenchmark was actually able to use 99% of the GPU. The first time anything was able to do that.

    submitted by /u/OwlGoesH0ot
    [link] [comments]

    Will the Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition be enough for my 5600x?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 10:41 AM PDT

    I currently have the stock Wraith Stealth cooler and I'm looking to upgrade to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. Will the 212 be enough for a 5600x? I have a Deepcool Matrexx 55 as my case.

    submitted by /u/VickydaGucci
    [link] [comments]

    Build Help: Added two extra 8GB sticks of RAM to my PC. Hasn't booted since.

    Posted: 02 May 2021 08:57 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm been tinkering around with my PC for the past couple of hours now with no results, and would really love some help.

    My PC was built roughly 4 years ago, had the occasional blue screen as most do, but all in all worked great. Recently, I've gotten two "MEMORY MANAGEMENT" blue screens consecutively, and always found that my PC was running with 85%+ RAM being used.

    As a fix, I thought it best to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, and hopefully solve all issues (PC was also getting slower).

    Here is where the issues start. I bought a different RAM set to the one I already had in my PC, and my PC didn't boot after the new RAM was installed. Assuming I got faulty RAM, or it was incompatible with my MOBO, I took out both new sticks and tried to boot again with only my original RAM installed. However, the PC wouldn't/still wont boot. I tried only using 1 stick of RAM, in multiple dim slots, with no success.

    All fans and LEDs turn on, however the "Boot" EZ Debug light is on. I assume my storage drives are not the issue as I have tried to boot with each one of them unplugged with no success. My GPU is somewhat new but has had no issues so far.

    I'm somewhat at a loss for how I can get the PC to boot again, and am slightly stressed due to having files for work on there too. If anyone could provide help that would be fantastic, thank you in advance!

    PC Specs:

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

    GPU: RTX 3060Ti

    Mobo: MSI B350M Tomahawk

    Old RAM: Gskillz Ripjaws (2*8GB) - 3000mhz

    New RAM: Hyperx Predator (2*8GB) - 3200mhz

    EDIT: Resetting the CMOS using JBAT1 and then underclocking the new RAM to match my old RAM's speed before booting with all 4 sticks in solved my issue. Thanks to everyone that helped!

    submitted by /u/dynamicbandito
    [link] [comments]

    Blue screen

    Posted: 02 May 2021 09:41 AM PDT

    So today i tried reinstalling my windows in a bit different way. Firstly I booted from dvd and when the menu for the partitions came i just formated all data(old windows and files) on them and installed new one .But now after maybe 5 minutes it freezes and then comes the blue screen with this message(CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT).I ve ran every memory test,removed cmos battery,ran sfc... and nothing shows the problem

    submitted by /u/Gavajebac69
    [link] [comments]

    How many fans are necessary for non-gaming setup?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 01:11 PM PDT

    Hello, everyone!

    I'm building a new PC from scratch, and I'm wondering how many case fans are necessary (if necessary at all) for my Ryzen 3200GE setup with stock cooler and no dedicated graphics card.

    I'm not using it for gaming (except Sims 4 occasionaly), and I definitely don't plan on overclocking it. My focus here is to keep it silent and energy-efficient.

    Should I put any case fans? If so, how many? Is one exhaust fan enough?

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/phmae
    [link] [comments]

    First Build, kinda confident about it

    Posted: 02 May 2021 09:36 AM PDT

    Hey! Can consider myself relatively new to PC expertise. With some research, I've come up with this build. Should also note that I'm going for an above-average gaming experience. What can I change for the better?

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6-Core (cooler included)

    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB OC

    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 Micro ATX AM4

    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

    Power supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze

    Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower

    submitted by /u/JohnnyEatinNuggets
    [link] [comments]

    PC showing no signs of life

    Posted: 02 May 2021 12:13 PM PDT

    (Parts list below) Hello everyone, first time builder and kinda at a loss here. I'm building a computer (I've been saving for a while, so some parts aren't exactly the newest and are out of warranty), and it's showing no signs of life at all. No PSU or CPU fans, no case fans, no RGB. I've replaced my PSU but no joy. I've checked the usual suspects. Seated my RAM properly, made sure the cables were good and that the PSU was switched on.

    I'm beginning to think it is my motherboard, but I have no way of knowing for sure. It is the oldest of the components I have bought (January 2020, whilst pretty much all my other components except RAM (given to me by a friend) were bought January 2021).

    What's the likelihood that it is the motherboard that's the issue, and if not, what other component could illicit absolutely no signs of life?

    Thanks in advance

    CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

    GPU: MSI GT 710 (bc shortage its short term dw lol)

    Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

    RAM: Generic Adata 16GB 2666MHz DDR4

    PSU: Corsair TX550M

    Edit: sorry for the mobile crap out, I've made the parts list easier to read

    submitted by /u/Carl-Kuudere
    [link] [comments]

    Failed PC Build - Need help troubleshooting

    Posted: 02 May 2021 10:26 AM PDT

    My brother and I tried to build our first pc and we don't know what is wrong with it. We hit the power button and the fans start to spin and the light around that button turns on, but there is just not display. We are 100% sure it is a PC problem and we don't know what we need to replace.

    This pc was built using scraps of another computer that was fully functional before building our new pc, and we purchased a brand new 1660 graphics card for the new build. Any response with what might be wrong would be a major help. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Personal_Process2777
    [link] [comments]

    Won’t boot—motherboard problem?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 01:12 PM PDT

    I built my PC about a year ago, and have been dealing with pretty frequent BSODs for the past few months. I tried taking out one of my RAM sticks, and it ran perfectly for about a week and didn't crash once. However, once I tried to troubleshoot to see where the issue was (in the stick or the motherboard—ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4) by moving my remaining one over to the former one's slot, my computer stopped booting regardless of where I put either stick of RAM. Even putting the first one back where it was doesn't work. It'll start, showing off all the lights inside the case, but then reboot itself after about 25 seconds (consistently). I don't think there's anything I can do—my monitors are both powered on, but neither is even showing the ASRock logo when it starts trying to boot. Anybody know what the problem could be?

    submitted by /u/theelectrowolf
    [link] [comments]

    In need of a new PSU

    Posted: 02 May 2021 01:03 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Thanks to the help of one of the mods over at r/techsupport, I've been told that my PSU isn't performing well at all and is the cause of the problems I've been experiencing while playing a few graphically intensive games.

    This is a link to the HWinfo log after doing a stress test with Furmark: https://ufile.io/yvybq7q9

    Would anyone be able to recommend a PSU that would fit into my rig as it is now?

    Current hardware: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42632009

    submitted by /u/Boomz9
    [link] [comments]

    I think my fans arent compatible with my motherboards sys fan 1

    Posted: 02 May 2021 01:01 PM PDT

    Basically title, ive built a budget PC with a a320-pro max motherboard and a case that came with fans included.

    The PC works just fine but the fans socket does not fit the motherboard.

    Ive tried just forcing the fan socket into the motherboard, and it worked, the thing is that when i booted up the pc the fan moved slightly and stopped fully, dragon center didnt recognize the fan and BIOS said it was spinning at 19420 rpm (it wasnt even spinning lol).

    Ive seen other fans socket and they have a little space to fit in the plastic thingy in the motherboard, but my fans socket are nowhere, ive been researching and its they are the only fans with a socket like that

    Is it a compatibility problem? Do i need a special component to fix this? Ive got 3 fans like this and my motherboard only has 1 sys fan module, how can i connect all of them?

    Thanks in advance, sorry for bad english

    Mother board sys_fan1: https://imgur.com/a/kF3SnHa

    My fans socket: https://imgur.com/a/mG0OF1h

    submitted by /u/Apprehensive_Dance42
    [link] [comments]

    Handled new PC components before grounding myself and building it. Am I fine?

    Posted: 02 May 2021 10:48 AM PDT

    I opened my motherboard and RAM and handled them and didn't ground myself. I didn't feel any shock or static or anything. Would my components be fine? I'm building this wednesday

    submitted by /u/B_Maaarc
    [link] [comments]

    Bios, ram, troubleshoot help.

    Posted: 02 May 2021 12:55 PM PDT

    http://imgur.com/a/oM3etkR

    Parts: asus b550f, 5600x, 2x16 3200 cl16 trident z, h100 aio, 850w psu, xfx 6800 qick gpu, lancool mesh 2.

    So on the motherboard there is a orange led where it says dram. I've tried ram slots 1&3 and 2&3 also put a single ram stick in every slot and it didn't help. I tried updating the bios but the green light on the motherboard io just blinks 4x and then goes solid green.

    All my fans spin, all the rgb is on. I just can't get the pc to display anything. I don't have extra ram and I really don't know what to do from here.

    For the flashdrive it's usb 2.0. I formatted it to fat32. Opened the Asus rename file and moved the .cap file to the root of my usb flash drive making sure there were no folders and only the .cap file was on the drive. Clicked eject moves it to the correct port on the motherboard while psu was switched on while pc turned off.

    I've downloaded and tried different bios updates from asus and it seems they all just blink 4x and go solid green and never turns off like it's supposed to.

    Not sure what else I can do. If I can't fix it can I go to microcenter for assistance. I only bought one of my parts there for this pc though.

    submitted by /u/Dawlphy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment