• Breaking News

    Monday, May 10, 2021

    Build a PC: My GPU caught fire.

    Build a PC: My GPU caught fire.


    My GPU caught fire.

    Posted: 10 May 2021 03:01 AM PDT

    So my RX 460 just caught fire for no reason. Hopefully i will get a replacement soon, but I want to know if my PSU is the culprit.

    CPU: Intel i7-2600

    Motherboard: ASRock P65i Cafe

    GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RX 460 2GB

    RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz

    PSU: Delux 550W

    Backstory:

    About a month ago my PC started randomly shutting down while gaming, then it started doing it while i'm just at my desktop, after that my PC shut down once and for all. It no longer wanted to turn on, only turning on for a split second then shutting itself off. After that i gave it to a local pc store to fix it, only to find out that my gpu caught fire! Now I'm going to get a replacement GPU soon, but i want to make sure this doesn't happen to my new GPU.

    Edit: Pics of my PC

    submitted by /u/gehadsheha
    [link] [comments]

    how do i transfer hard drive data to an ssd?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 03:57 AM PDT

    i currently have a laptop with a hard drive and i'm using about 500gb, and with my new pc i have 240gb ssd and a 1tb hard drive i want most of my games on the ssd. how would i go about doing this? would i need to order and external hard drive or ssd? please help

    submitted by /u/cooliobetsy
    [link] [comments]

    First Gaming PC for €2k, what do you think?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 07:04 AM PDT

    Hey guys I have been a gamer for years but always played console. Now its time to switch to pc and even though im aware of the bad timing, i cannot wait anymore. Due to my lack of knowledge of building a gaming pc I found a website offering customizable gaming PCs with assembly and installation included.

    Here is my proposed set-up, please let me know if its a good choice to go for, parts are complementary or if i could get something better for my money atm.

    Case: NZXT H511

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6x 3.7GHz / 4.6GHz Turbo)

    Cooling: NZXT Kraken M22

    Mainboard: ASROCK B550 PRO4

    Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3200MHz

    Memory: 1000GB Patriot P300 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME (L 2100MB/s ; S 1650MB/s)

    GPU: 8GB NVIDIA RTX3070

    Power: 750W Corsair RM750x

    Your opinion is highly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/CookieandKarim101
    [link] [comments]

    240Hz monitor, GTX1650, random lockups but only in 240Hz mode?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 12:38 PM PDT

    GTX1650, i9-10900K, ASUS VG259QM monitor.

    So everything was working fine for a while with the old 1080p 60Hz monitor, but then i got a new 1080p 240Hz one.

    When it's running in 240Hz mode, system tends to lock up every now and then. One moment it's working, the next one it's frozen on the last frame. Not just the video output, system is no longer accessible over the network either. Needs a power cycle to fix.

    Temperatures are cold, event logs are empty.

    Things that guaranteed to lock it up:

    • Play Minecraft for 15 seconds.

    • Run chkdsk on a thumbdrive (?!)

    Things that don't lock it up reliably:

    • Browsing the internet.

    • Playing most other games, even ones that load the GPU

    • Watching 240 Hz videos from a gopro.

    When the monitor is set to 60 Hz it works just fine again, in anything i can throw at it.

    Not even sure where to start diagnosing something like that. Anyone got any ideas?

    submitted by /u/theartlav
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 still good?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I was wondering if the Ryzen 5 3600 was still good in 2021 or if I should look to upgrade.

    submitted by /u/Proussh
    [link] [comments]

    I've been out of the game for a while and I'm hoping someone can check my work on a build.

    Posted: 10 May 2021 12:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. The last time I built a PC was probably 10 years ago. I'm giving it another go and so I'm looking for whatever advice you can give me.

    Here's the parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8V48Bc

    My gaming laptop recently broke and I need a windows PC for work so I really can't wait for sales; I'm looking to order in the next week or so. My usage is Windows Remote Desktop (lol), light programming, and moderate gaming. However, I don't feel like I have time right now to wade into the waters of finding a good GPU at a reasonable price before buying so my plan is to buy the rest of the system now and use integrated graphics until I can hunt down something better.

    I guess I have two questions:

    1. Are there any glaring flaws in my part selection? It's been a while so I'm sure I made mistakes. Be brutal.
    2. I plan on buying a new GPU/monitor at some point in the future. For now I'll be using an old 1600x900 monitor. Is there a "budget" card that I can buy today (in the US, almost certainly online) whose price isn't horribly inflated that would allow for some light gaming while I track down a better graphics card?

    I'm considering adding a SATA SSD for storage, but other than that I don't believe I need anything else. The budget is around, say, $2500 (including the eventual graphics card) but is pretty flexible. I'm a bit of a patient gamer so I'm not usually playing games at peak graphical performance by 2021 standards; my main concern is longevity.

    Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/androgynyjoe
    [link] [comments]

    is there a good xbox controller i can buy for PC that has something like a charging dock and not a usb?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 05:02 AM PDT

    I currently own a wired xbox one controller and i know it will bother me if i have to remember every night before i go to sleep to connect a wireless controller to a usb charger, is there a controller that comes with a charging dock so when im not using it i can just place it on the charging dock and thats it?

    submitted by /u/Takzuke
    [link] [comments]

    Current and Daisy-chaining

    Posted: 10 May 2021 08:00 AM PDT

    Might be more of an electrical question: is daisy-chaining just as efficient as a fan hub? When you put multiple lights in a series, you add resistance to the circuit and decrease current. So by this logic wouldn't your LED lights be more dim and/or fan speeds be slower while daisy-chaining? Is there a limit to how many fans you can link together?

    submitted by /u/jobeid
    [link] [comments]

    What part of my pc is bottlenecking?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 11:51 AM PDT

    Specs:

    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GH

    24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz

    MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758)

    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

    Pls help me with this. Thank you

    submitted by /u/kosix3
    [link] [comments]

    WD Black 8TB HDD noise - normal?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    Hello, I just added a WD Black 8TB HDD to my Dell XPS 8940. The new HDD has the every 5 second sound as I expected but it is very loud when accessing/saving multiple data. Seems quiet when I am just playing music off the drive (it is my data drive) but when I play music and save to the drive it gets loud. Doesn't help that the HDD is mounted flat against the front of case.

    Does this sound normal for a WD black. I know they aren't the quietest…

    Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VMf3GLRRB2Zhnwfi6

    submitted by /u/ngs428
    [link] [comments]

    i5 11600k with GIGABYTE B560M DS3H

    Posted: 10 May 2021 07:54 AM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    Just a quick question. I'm planning to buy an i5 11600k and a GIGABYTE B560M DS3H. Per specs, with the B560M chipset I will be able to use the XMP on mems, but I will be not able to OC the CPU. I have never OC my CPUs, I just don't like it. I use everything on stock even on K versions, so i'm wondering if I'm going to loose something else buying a B560M instead a Z590 for this CPU.

    Thanks in advance!!
    F'

    submitted by /u/furfix
    [link] [comments]

    CPU upgrade?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 01:34 PM PDT

    Is it worth to upgrade from a 9700k to a 10850k just for a gaming? Or just stick with i7 and wait until ddr5 comes?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/milaaaaan_63
    [link] [comments]

    [Troubleshooting] Installed new RAM, but now PC stuck in loop

    Posted: 10 May 2021 08:57 AM PDT

    Hello guys! This is my fist post ever here, so bear with me

    Recently my gf bought a new ram stick for her pc. Not every part exists in part picker (some are national brands) but I tried to be as close as possible: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HsWZy4

    So, before buying a new stick, she had previously only one 8gb stick.

    The problems started after she installed the new one. I don't think it was her mistake or something she could have broken unintentionally, but now her pc turns on, stays on for a few seconds and then shuts off again. 1 second later it turns on again and it keeps happening forever.

    I'm coming over to install a speaker on her mobo because she bought from someone else and there isn't one, so I don't know if it beeps

    I did the following tests (isolated from each other of course): Removed the new ram (so it would be just as it was before) - Still happens

    Tried only the new ram stick, only the old one, this and that slot - Still happens

    I removed the CPU cooler power supply - still happens

    Finally, I removed the CPU itself - It turns on and stays on as normal

    But again, I don't think her CPU would just die out of the blue like that after installing new ram, but who am I to know? haha

    I still haven't tried removing the mobo battery to reset CMOS but I'll try that today aswell.

    We also tried cleaning the ram slots and the ram itself with a damp cloth with IPA

    Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope it isn't the CPU given it's kinda expensive right now for us (Brazil lol)

    submitted by /u/xNetuno
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap Upgrade Possibility with a Vega 56

    Posted: 10 May 2021 08:28 AM PDT

    Hey folks,

    due to the crypto hype and consecutive mining, cards like the vega 56/64 are overpriced as hell, going used for around 550 - 800$ on ebay, depending on your location of course. I sold my Vega 56 for around 600$ and upgraded to a 6700xt for 750$, effectively paying 150$ for a new gen AMD gpu.

    The situation sucks atm, but some of you may be able to at least get an upgrade at a good value that way.

    submitted by /u/LeanBee
    [link] [comments]

    5600x lagging?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 06:28 AM PDT

    Specs: 5600x, MSI B550 Carbon Wifi, 6700 XT, Samsung NVME2 512GB, G SKILL TRIDENT Z 3600MHZ CL18

    I'm experiencing some strange issues with this build, as if 'tasks' aren't registering or are heavily delayed. Sometimes I would click something and nothing happens, and just recently I clicked on a link which took 7 seconds to respond then loaded instantly(no issues with internet)... These have been very uncommon but have never experienced it before.

    submitted by /u/yomeme66
    [link] [comments]

    GPU Shopping on EBay

    Posted: 10 May 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    Is it a bad idea to buy a RTX 3080 or 3090 on EBay? That seems to be the only place I can find any available and I need one soon for work. Has anyone tried this? It seems a little too good to be true.

    EDIT: Replying to everyone: Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that was the case. It was tempting since at this point I'm (well realistically, my employer is) wiling to pay above MSRP after months of searching, but thanks for reminding me of common sense :)

    submitted by /u/Dr_Afrobot
    [link] [comments]

    What part of my pc do I need to upgrade?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 03:07 PM PDT

    I built my first ever pc last year and it's been amazing! I play a game called Rust, and recently there was a patch that increased the graphics, terrain detail etc. Before this patch I was running 140 to 150 fps. Now, it runs around 60fps to 80fps. So my question is what do I need to upgrade? My processor? Graphics card? I still dont know much about computers technically speaking. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor at the moment, and an xfx radeon rx 580 gts xxx edition 1386mhz 8GB graphics card. Thanks for any tips!

    submitted by /u/WizurdHat
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a perceivable difference in memory with Ryzen

    Posted: 10 May 2021 03:05 PM PDT

    I have 3600 CL16 right now.

    I hear that CL14 is faster. I hear that 4400 memory is faster

    I thought that Infinity fabric maxed out at 1800 and anything over is useless

    What is correct? It this just for benchmarking and such?

    submitted by /u/cmdrmcgarrett
    [link] [comments]

    First time build

    Posted: 10 May 2021 03:01 PM PDT

    This is my first time build and looking for feedback and improvements for the build. I'm looking for a pc that works well with a 1080p 240hz monitor. Budget around 2800 usd.

    Case: NZXT H710

    GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060

    CPU: intel core i9 10-core 3.7 GHz

    CPU COOLING: NZXT Kraken Z63

    MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z590 Aorus Elite

    RAM: XPG Spectrix D50 RGB 3600 MHZ 16gb

    SSD: 2x Western Digital SN550 1 TB

    POWER: XPG core reactor 850w gold

    Btw all of this I'll be getting off the NZXT website and getting the build from the website

    submitted by /u/711salary
    [link] [comments]

    A DRAM less SSD good for OS drive?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 12:43 PM PDT

    LIke the WD SN550 or the Samsung 980 (both 1tb)

    submitted by /u/Odd-Satisfaction5933
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice ! (First time builder)

    Posted: 10 May 2021 12:40 PM PDT

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjWXQD

    This is my first time building and needed some advice if you guys see anything that could be done better.

    submitted by /u/Soggy_Researcher_808
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Builder - VR Ready? Is a Bigger Budget Worth it?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 08:53 AM PDT

    Build Overview:

    • CPU ($330) - Ryzen 5 5600x
    • Cooler ($40) - Cooler Master Hyper 212
    • MSI ($100) - MSI B550M Pro WiFi
    • RAM ($95) - Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8) 3600 CL16
    • Storage ($110) - Western Digital 1TB NVMe SSD
    • GPU ($650) - AMD Radeon RX 6800
    • Case ($70) - NZXT H510
    • Fan ($30) - 4x Chassis Fan Upgrade
    • PSU ($78) - EVGA 650W 80+ Gold
    • OS ($35) - Windows 10 Home

    My budget is around $1600 currently. Will Oculus Rift run smoothly on what I've chose? How much bigger of a budget would be needed for better overall (VR/non-VR) gaming performance? Which parts do you recommend I expand on?

    submitted by /u/pc_newb420
    [link] [comments]

    What's the current equivalent of the GTX970?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 02:47 PM PDT

    Hello there. I just bought my first 1440p 144hz monitor and my PC can't run any games at that resolution AND framerate. I'm still running a GTX970. What's the current enthusiast/"highest value" gpu? I hear the 3060ti is probably the closest thing to the current iteration of the GTX970, even though the cheapest one I can find has an MSRP of $660 CAD when my 970 cost $450. I'm unfamiliar with AMD cards.

    submitted by /u/Spyrothedragon9972
    [link] [comments]

    i5-11600KF over i5-11400 for 24$ more?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 02:36 PM PDT

    Hi, as title suggest I've found an offer for 11600KF which sounds tempting, but after some research people tend to say that it's not worth overpaying. Is it true? I've got CPU cooler rated for 125W, should I get one with higher TDP?

    submitted by /u/KrisRock13
    [link] [comments]

    New build/upgrade is done! First build i have completely entirely myself, on my own :D

    Posted: 10 May 2021 02:21 PM PDT

    Imgur link, completed build next to what's left of the old one http://imgur.com/a/9BB5q6F

    (Please forgive formatting I'm on mobile while the missus gives it a go!)

    Specs:

    Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard

    I7 9700k CPU

    Corsair H55 AIO

    GTX Geforce EVGA 970 2.0 ACX Superclocked

    2x8GB 2400mhz, 2x8GB 3200mhz RAM

    250GB 850 EVO Samsung SSD

    1TB 870 QVO Samsung SSD

    500GB Seagate Barracuda and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda

    Upgrades are the 1TB SSD, 2x8GB 3200 RAM (They were cheaper than buying 2400 ram, and they run together at 3200 no issues), CPU from a i5 7600k and mobo from a Maximus Ranger VIII. Also i now have a case which isn't 8 years old and wrecked, with actual airflow AND ARGB! I love it so much.

    If GPUs were affordable (i had to sell a fair amount of stuff for these upgrades) that'd be next on the list. As ir stands i might get a new monitor first. Been at 1080p 60hz too long, and i want some of that 1440p 144hz goodness. I'm well aware the 970 won't cope with that (it hangs on well, i play basically everything at or near ultra settings) but it'll give me a good benchmark for how far behind it is. Looking at the 6700 XT Red Devil at the minute for a powerful card that isn't over £1000, assuming they aren't all being snatched up and price hiked by the time i get to actually think about buying one!

    submitted by /u/FatherofKhorne
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment