• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 10, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 10, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 10, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 10, 2021

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Upgraded CPU+Mobo results in worse performance.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:27 AM PDT

    Yesterday, switched from i3-6300 to i5-10400f, while retaining GTX 1060 3Gb and 1x16Gb RAM stick. Launched two games (For Honor and Alien Isolation) and they had worse performance. After doing Windows reinstall, updated drivers, bios. And performance is still worse. Very frustrating. Any ideas what can be the cause of this?

    I just ran userbenchmark as suggested and it seems something is wrong with GPU: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41894003

    I am an idiot. Found the issue. I have not plugged an extra PCIE power cable into PSU, so GPU was most likely running without sufficient power. (after fix: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41894518 ) Sorry for wasting your time... And thank you very much for trying to help me. You are amazing.

    submitted by /u/SnakThree
    [link] [comments]

    It's Alive!

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 07:41 AM PDT

    Pics added via Imgur link.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/xaRKv8y

    It's alive! I had a minor panic attack when it wouldn't boot to the BIOS. Turns out the motherboard shipped with an old BIOS that didn't support the latest generation of CPUs. A quick BIOS update and I was off to the races installing windows, about a million drivers and updates, applications and finally a few games. Diablo 3 has never looked so good and Doom Eternal is amazing. It is generating well over 144 FPS at 1440p on max graphics settings in Doom. This beast is future-proofed for a long time. It was a major sense of accomplishment to hit the power button and have a fully functional PC ready to rock. It runs quieter and way cooler than my old Alienware laptop.

    Specs: Li-an Li PC-011 case, Aorus Master X570 mobo, AMD 5800x CPU, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Royal RAM, AMD RX 6900 xt GPU, Seasonic 850W platinum PSU, 1 TB Sabrent Rocket m.2 PCIe 4 NVMe SSD, 2 TB bulk HDD, full EKWB water cooling loop with front distro plate/pump, 2 radiators, 8 fans and CPU/GPU water blocks.

    Peripherals: Acer 34" ultrawide monitor, Logitech G502 mouse and Powerplay charging mouse pad, Razer Huntsman Elite keyboard. Looking for a high-quality headset still.

    submitted by /u/natedog_1959
    [link] [comments]

    GPU not recognized by monitor

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 10:10 AM PDT

    Hello all, this is my very first build and I'm feeling increasingly frustrated and anxious trying to get my pc to actually work. When it's powered on, all lights and fans work but my monitor says it's not receiving a signal from my GPU. My father think it's an issue with the power supply but I'm not sure because as I previously stated, everything else appears to be working except for the GPU. The only progress I've made is that the GPU's fans went from not turning to turning. Any help would greatly alleviate my blood pressure levels lol.

    Build details:

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

    Powercolor Radeon rx 570

    Seagate HDD 3 TB

    Corsair CX750F RGB

    MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Max WiFi

    submitted by /u/cznblanco
    [link] [comments]

    i5 9600k integrated graphics with z390 phantom

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    Hello , i need help with integrated graphics , my gpu out of service so i get from my friends his gpu to active my integrated graphics from the bios I enter the bios i follow the manual but i dont find or can enable igpu Can any one help me with this cpu and mobo ?

    submitted by /u/Slo0M
    [link] [comments]

    Tower fans not working

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:20 PM PDT

    I had my pc built a few months ago and just noticed that the fans on my tower don't spin. I didn't notice it because my gpu and cpu are always at really low temps (usually between 30-45 depending on how hot my room is. GPU stays around 35-45 depending on what I play and only hits 50 on rare occasions. GPU hit 59 tops on a stress test and cpu only hits 60+ on stress tests)

    1. Should i attempt to fix this if my temps are so low? (I didn't build it myself cuz I'm new to it and didn't wanna mess up so someone who knew better built it for me)

    2. If i should fix it how would I do so?

    submitted by /u/goldxphoenix
    [link] [comments]

    Asus tuf z590-plus wifi LED refuses to turn anything but green when trying to use white or blue Support

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:19 PM PDT

    My motherboard controls the colour of the ram and the 3 argb fans with aura sync. The ram and 3 argb fans have no problem setting it to whatever colour i want (i was trying to do white or blue, both worked), however the motherboard is only staying green even though the other components are turning white or blue. If i set the colour to green red yellow orange or pink, it works, it will actually turn green red yellow orange or pink, but otherwise for white, cyan, and dark blue the motherboard turns green instead. Is the rgb on my motherboard broken? How can I fix this? Here's a picture of the PC, motherboard led lights circled https://i.imgur.com/GLSokud.jpeg

    submitted by /u/JasonBeKillin
    [link] [comments]

    Shipping a prebuilt PC overseas.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:18 PM PDT

    Hi, prices where I'm from are outrageous, so I'm usually do my shopping online in the US and ship my items through mail forwarders.

    I'm planning to buy a prebuilt PC from one of the decent prebuilt companies (ibuypower, cyberpower, originpc etc.) so I don't doubt they'll pack it well, it'll get sent to my mailbox and then get forwarded internationally to me.

    Any advice? Should I trust their packaging or is it not worth the risk? Biggest fear is the GPU of course. Wonder if I can ask them to pack it uninstalled.

    submitted by /u/Kwtop
    [link] [comments]

    is this a god prebuild

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CDZHNQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_B5VWD022TGHAE94HH6T8?psc=1

    i really want to buy a PC but i can't build one so i was looking apart prebuilds and this cached my eye

    is this good for the money?

    submitted by /u/IEnVyRexYT
    [link] [comments]

    3700x for 280$ or 5600x for 300$

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 11:38 AM PDT

    I have these two as my options. Which do you think is the better choice? I heard 5600x is better almost every way and especially gaming. I'm also primarily going to use my PC for gaming. However, the 3700x is cheaper and I could probably sell the wraith prism for about 15$ on eBay. I plan on using this cpu for 5 years and I heard something about games possibly utilizing more cores in the future.

    submitted by /u/A-ReDDIT_account134
    [link] [comments]

    Need help!!! PC keeps booting to bios instead of windows.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 03:19 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I built a new pc a few weeks ago. It was working fine in the morning but now it only boots to bios and not Windows. I had installed my windows on the M.2 drive, but the bios now isn't detecting it.

    It shows: M.2 slot info M2M:N/A

    I have a B460m gaming motherboard and my M.2 is Samsung 970 Evo.

    What should I do to resolve it? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/b1l4l27
    [link] [comments]

    Would an i-5 10600kf and rtx 3070 work with a 750w psu?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 02:32 AM PDT

    I found the 10600kf for a really good price so i am getting that, and i have a 3070 coming, would a 750w psu be sufficient for it?

    If not, what would be a good reliable psu (modular) that would be suitable?

    submitted by /u/xdhelicopter
    [link] [comments]

    Can you apply thermal paste after Liquid metal paste has been applied on a copper heatsink?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:13 PM PDT

    Let's say you need to remove your copper cpu heatsink for whatever reason (disassembly) and then you decide to assemble it again. Can you use standard non metallic thermal paste after the fact that the copper has been stained with Gallium? OR do you have to strictly stick with the exact liquid metal paste you used in the first place?

    One use case scenario this might happen is if you don't have anymore in stock locally of the liquid metal paste you first applied but you have the more common, standard non metallic thermal paste.

    Another use case scenario: You're tight on cash and borrowed a friend's CPU heatsink. You examine the heatsink and find that it has a copper cold plate but with liquid metal paste stains that had been previously applied to it. You are unsure if its ok to apply thermal paste onto it.

    Will thermal conductivity be reduced if you apply thermal paste after liquid metal paste has been applied on a copper heatsink?

    Will there be some chemical reaction if you apply thermal paste after liquid metal paste has been applied on a copper heatsink?

    submitted by /u/Halycon949
    [link] [comments]

    Case question

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 11:38 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit I'm building my first pc and I want to know what cases you guys recommend. My requirements are a ATX case with good airflow and below 100 dollars. Also not required but if comes with fans it would be even better.

    submitted by /u/gorlisgorl
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 3600 Running Hot??

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 07:36 PM PDT

    I just finished my first ever build, yay! But when I went into the BIOS to enable XMP and those sort of things I saw that my CPU was idling at 52.5 ° C and rose to 55. Is that normal for just Bios? I don't have Windows installed yet. I'm using the stock Wraith Stealth Cooler too.

    If it counts for anything I accidentally mounted the fan so that the tab that says "AMD" that is on top of the fan is on the right side. I also did not remove a sticker at the bottom if there was one because I didn't see one.

    Edit: Thank you everyone for your feedback, unfortunately I haven't been able to test anything because my wifi card is crap but I have confidence that my fan curves will keep it in ok temps under load.

    submitted by /u/WildfireAssaultx
    [link] [comments]

    Should I sell my RX 580?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 09:40 PM PDT

    I bought this card two years back to play competitively, but I'm not interested in games anymore. Thing is, these cards are selling for super high. My local area sells them used for $500.

    Should I sell this card? Is there anything I should know before I do/don't?

    submitted by /u/Connect-Cheek-1965
    [link] [comments]

    Need help cutting costs on pc

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    Hello there. I'm currently putting together a list of pc parts that I may want to get someday (after the chip shortage, of course.). Besides the gpu, how can I cut costs and what recommendations do you guys have for me? I'd be glad to hear from you guys :) Thanks!

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QXZYCz

    submitted by /u/OpenAviator
    [link] [comments]

    Motherboard recommendations under £/$100 with Ryzen 5 5600x

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    So I recently ordered a Ryzen 5 5600x so I need a new motherboard.

    Problem is I am not sure what to get. I am looking for something on the budget end of things, under £/$100. I don't have many major requirements, just mainly that it has 4 DIMM slots and the ability for light overclocking.

    I have been looking at the Gigabyte B450 Aorus PRO which looks decent.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aorus-B450-AORUS-PRO-Socket/dp/B07G2N5SST/ref=sr_1_31?crid=374U8WN7A8IY6&dchild=1&keywords=am4+motherboard&qid=1618083196&sprefix=am4+%2Ccomputers%2C377&sr=8-31

    Is the above board good? Is there any other recommendations out there? Thanks

    submitted by /u/niboyd35
    [link] [comments]

    Should I upgrade my motherboard?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:27 PM PDT

    I just ordered a Ryzen 7 5800x. I currently have a Ryzen 7 2700x in an ASUS Prime X470-Pro motherboard. I also have a NVIDIA 2070 Super and probably will not be able to find a new gpu anytime soon. My Samsung 970 Evo NVMe m.2 drive (PCIe 3) is super fast from my prospective and I have never thought that it was too slow.

    Should I use the new cpu in the existing motherboard or get a new X570 motherboard? I am using my computer mainly for casual gaming and a few data processing Python scripts.

    submitted by /u/geologyhawk
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 installation problem

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    So I built my very first pc today and I started installing windows 10 after everything else was done, it was loading then I dropped my chips and when i went to pick them up, i accidentally turned off my power supply, then when I turned it back on, it says something along the lines of, " we encountered an error when pc restarted, click ok to restart windows installation, then restart your pc" ive waited about an hour and a half and nothing happened so I restarted again, same thing, is just taking a long time or should I be worried? Is there something I need to do right now that it needs me to??

    submitted by /u/AOfficial23
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding a desk for a laptop, 2 monitors, a lamp, and a PS4.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:23 PM PDT

    I have been looking at getting a new hdmi monitor/tv for gaming, but currently, there is little room on my desk. I have a 21 inch vga as a monitor right now, and am trying to get a 21 inch hdmi so I can have 3 screens, but there is not enough room for the tv on my desk due to the leg stands on conventional consumer TVs.

    I am looking for a desk with 2 tiers, one for the laptop, PS4, and room for a notebook, and the other for the 2 monitors and lamp. The ones I am looking at do not really have the space for two monitors and lamp on the top tier if they even have a top tier, and the legs on the conventional consumer TVs would probably hang off the edge rendering the desk useless.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/does_it_ever_stopp
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 7 3700X PBO

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 09:35 AM PDT

    So I made a build with a R7 3700X, and I find the CPU fan is constantly changing speed (stock AMD cooler). I've found that I can turn the Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) off by changing the windows power setting to 99%

    I'm wondering if I had a better CPU cooler would I get away with not needing to do that? When it boosts it will fluctuate between 45 and 55 degrees, the second I charge the power setting it cools to about 35 (this is all while sitting idle on the desktop). Any help would be appreciated, I'm kind of at a loss between having no boost and not having the fans constantly changing noise level

    submitted by /u/saighdiuirmaca
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to set up airflow in SilverStone PS15 case

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Current setup looks like this https://i.imgur.com/3GZXeRX.jpg

    Taking the side panel off drops GPU (GTX 1070) temp by more than 5 degrees so I could def improve things a bit. I could populate 2 more fan slots on top of the case. Exhaust? Intake? And yes I actually needed this small case.

    CPU is i5 3570K @ 4.4 GHz. Right under GPU is tiny PCI-E to NVMe adapter for SSD but that doesn't really block GPU fans.

    submitted by /u/TradeSurplus
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not sure if this is the correct subreddit to ask for help but my pc is unusable with constant crashing.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 12:42 PM PDT

    It's not a new build, it's a few months old. All my bios and drivers are up to date.

    I got a constant crash where everything just freezes and I can only force shut off the pc. I thought it might be a windows issue or a driver but the same problem happened while I was in the bios. Everything has been stable until 3 days ago, I haven't downloaded anything recently.

    Ryzen 5 5600x 32gb trident Z ram 3600hz c16 (xmp enabled) RTX 3080 X570 Asus prime

    Both cpu and Gpu are watercooled. When I checked windows event manager I did find this error.

    Session "ETW USB tracing" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022

    submitted by /u/OMGimsoawesome
    [link] [comments]

    RX 570 4GB for $300 or GTX 1050ti for $250

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    Need a card for gta/csgo and some other games (preferably at 1440p but not required) until I can snag a 3060ti. 1660s are too expensive where I live, out of these two which would be the better?

    submitted by /u/ovojr
    [link] [comments]

    My sisters computer won't run any games anymore!

    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    Hello : )

    I had this old build from 2014 which my sister got from me in 2017. I had upgraded to a better one, and she's been playing on this build ever since. As of recent it hasn't been able to run any games at all, and she has been very upset about it. She's young and mostly plays games like Roblox and Sims, so she doesn't really need an insane build haha.

    She has a budget of ~400$ and this is what I managed to scrap together hoping that it will fix her computer and let her play again. I don't know much about builds, but I'm thinking that maybe just replacing the CPU, SSD, RAM and Motherboard could do the trick.

    My main concern however is that the old GPU won't work with these upgrades ... It's an MSI GTX 780, and I couldn't find it in the compatibles list in PCPP. It did however show the 780Ti, and I thought they were pretty similar? Could the 780 fit too then?

    Here's the list with the new and the old parts we're keeping. The 780Ti is just there because I couldn't find it in that list:

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TF8NHz

    submitted by /u/ohnoell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment