• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 7, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 07, 2021

    Build a PC: Simple Questions - April 07, 2021


    Simple Questions - April 07, 2021

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 05:00 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post.
    Examples of questions suitable for here:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What CPU names mean

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 12:58 AM PDT

    My friend is building a PC when shortages stop and asked for my help. Is this a good enough explanation for what CPU names mean?

    Let's understand numbers first

    To do this, let's split them into 3 parts

    • Last two digits

    • Third digit from the right

    • Everything else on the left

    For example:

    5|6|00|x

    or

    10|9|00|k

    Now what these parts mean FROM LEFT TO RIGHT

    First is what generation CPU is from. Latest one for intel is 11th that is releasing right now, and for AMD it's 5

    Second one is probably most important. It shows model line it is in. Here are what this number usually means:

    1 - cheapest one

    3 - budget but can perform quite good

    4 - usually cheapest 6 core CPU. Best value most of the time

    5 - in between 4 and 6. Not that popular but a good choice nonetheless.

    6 - The most popular choice. Often shares gaming performance with CPUs above it

    7 - not that different from 6 but has more cores. Recommended if you stream/record a lot.

    8 - faster than 7 but otherwise identical to it.

    9 - The best. Costs a lot thought.

    Third set is usually '00'. These should not bother you unless you are picking a $6000 editing PC, as these usually are used to show that a CPU is a better than highest CPU with 00, for example 10950k is better than 10900k. Or 3950x is better than 3900x. So in the end you can probably ignore these.

    Now let's understand letters

    AMD:

    No letter - normal CPU

    X - a little bit faster than non-x counterpart

    XT - a slight upgrade to X. Usually released not long before next generation, as sort of "Definitive edition"

    G - has integrated graphics but is based on older generation

    S - low power desktop with integrated graphics

    Intel:

    No letter - normal CPU with no overclocking

    K - can be overclocked (with Z motherboard)

    F - no integrated graphics. Usually are cheaper.

    S - special edition

    E - embedded

    T - low power

    XE - extreme edition

    KF and KS are mixes of 2 letters

    Laptop chips have their own system of letters but it's not really relevant here

    What stand-alone number means

    There is always a standalone number as well

    From my experience it's usually:

    3 - budget

    5 - average (?)

    7 - enthusiast

    9 - the highest end possible

    Additional notes:

    AMD doesn't have 4th gen desktop CPUs. Well technically they do, but they are all OEM, and even if you manage to find them they are based on third generation with only difference being added integrated graphics, and offer no advantage if you have discrete GPU

    To find which company made CPU, look at box and name. Intel has "Core i" in beginning of name and AMD has "Ryzen". Also former has blue box while later has red-ish orange.

    There are differently numbered CPUs for both brands - Pentiums, Athlons etc. However you probably don't want to put them in a gaming rig as they are slower.

    Edit: added part about standalone numbers which was originally in first one. Completely rewrite some parts. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

    Edit2: sorry if I can't answer/ can't implement all fixes instantly. I just came home from school and will try and update the whole thing more often.

    Edit3: the first part that was confusing was rearranged and reworked in some places.

    Edit4: a lot of minor improvements have been made here and there

    Feel free to give feedback on what I can improve! :D

    submitted by /u/AndreyRussian1
    [link] [comments]

    Update: I fixed it and it turns on

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 09:09 AM PDT

    I feel so dumb that pc was in a boot loop because i didn't push the ram sticks all the way down. After i pushed the into their slots my pc turned and got out of its boot loop. I'm so happy that my first pc build worked out and I want to thank this subreddit and those who helped me on my other posts. Thank You!

    submitted by /u/Puzzleheaded-Ease-36
    [link] [comments]

    Hello i would need a little help

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:20 PM PDT

    So i want to ask my boyfriend to help me build my new pc and i want to impress him by knowing something about thing he's gonna pick. But i don't know a single thing about computers! ..well maybe something... but like..... little, little something.....(T_T) Can you guys help me? Pretty please?

    submitted by /u/Ms-Starsio
    [link] [comments]

    So I built my first PC. Do I need anything else?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    I have an NZXT H510 case, Ryzen 5 5600x, GEForce 3060 overclocked, 2 vengeance corsair 8gig, 750w gold power supply, Samsung evo 2tb SSD, ASUS tuf gaming x750plus motherboard, and a wired Xbox controller.

    I cannibalized a 1tb hard-drive with windows installed, and 2 8gig ram cards as well from an old pc.

    The PC works fine.

    What else do you recommend I get for it? Or should I just call it done?

    submitted by /u/Two4god07
    [link] [comments]

    What is going on with PC building in 2021?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 07:10 AM PDT

    Hello, for about a year I have become very unaware on what is going on with pc building/pc gaming because my PS4 became my main gaming device rather than my own pc which I build a year ago. So the other day I decided to take a look at what is going on in the pc building world and was curious at what new parts where being released, but after a few minutes looking, I discovered that there were GPU shortages and price increases. My GPU the 1660 super which I bought for £200ish is now being listed used on ebay for 400 - 600 pounds!

    CPU prices seem to be high too, I wondered with the lower prices of used older gen consoles like PS4s and Xbox ones and the really solid budget gaming laptops, is that a more viable option right now than building a PC, I am curious as to what you people on this subreddit think!

    TLDR: What are your thoughts on the high prices and low availability of components and are (last gen) consoles and gaming laptops a much better options right now?

    submitted by /u/ohivegotswag
    [link] [comments]

    Will I run into an issue with this 24 pin power supply I just got?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 12:07 PM PDT

    10700F reaching 100 while gaming

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 11:21 AM PDT

    I play on 1440p but recently my cpu is reaching close to 100 while under a gaming load, it's a prebuilt so the stock cooler is still in there, and I was wondering what would be the best cooler for my 10700F to dramatically lower the temps.

    submitted by /u/Morktorknak
    [link] [comments]

    Help me upgrading my computer.

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 11:11 AM PDT

    Hi, i'm a 19 years old girl and I would like to upgrade my computer but I know NOTHING about components and stuff. I like gaming and streaming. But when I'm streaming, my CPU usage is at 99% and I have a very low frame rate on certain games.

    My current pc is :

    Motherboard : MSI B250 GAMING M3 (MS-7A62)

    CPU : Intel i5-75000 @ 3,40GHz
    GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti.

    RAM : 16Gb 2133MHz.

    I don't have that much money for now, but I am thinking about buying a new motherboard and CPU for now and maybe upgrade other components later (especially the GPU, but the most important is CPU for now). I would like something good enough so I won't have to buy something new in like one year.
    I live in France so you should know that the prices are different that if you live in the US for exemple.

    I found this pack :

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI B550M Mortar.

    What do you think ? I am really open to any suggestion.

    Thank you for reading :) <3

    submitted by /u/titefleur
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical mount help

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 08:56 AM PDT

    im trying to find a vertical mount for my graphics card but cant find any (im also using fans on the bottom)

    gpu: 3080 Tuf case: O-11 Dynamic

    (if any more info is needed just ask)

    submitted by /u/UninterestingHill
    [link] [comments]

    GPU upgrade questions

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 09:54 AM PDT

    I recently got my first PC, a prebuilt from iBuyPower, and it came with a Radeon RX550 GPU and one of my friends had a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB laying around and gave it to me. I am completely ignorant in anything to do with PCs and he told me it may be hard to do a swap from AMD to Nvidia. He told me to check YouTube and this subreddit for advice so here I am. If I left out any pertinent details feel free to ask and thanks in advance for any and all tips and advice!

    submitted by /u/Greenman43
    [link] [comments]

    PC build

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    I just sold an aio on ebay, buyer says it fried his motherboard.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2021 10:27 PM PDT

    So I pulled my corsair h115i from my build it was working fine just corsair fans are loud and annoying and I was moving to an nh-d15. It sold pretty fast on ebay, but the buyer just messaged me saying that it shorted out his gigabyte motherboard... That's like physically impossible... Like how would that actually even work? How would it discharge enough electric current to brick a motherboard? This guy is full of it right or just is mistaken I guess? You plug in a sata power and like a fan header or two, and a usb header, how would it short out a motherboard? It's got to be a defective motherboard I feel like

    Update: He says it was actually his case was the problem. The metal behind the mobo is warped and making contact with his board. We good. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

    submitted by /u/WeAreGaren
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my pc lag on all games?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:53 PM PDT

    My pc will go to 20fps on forza, 40fps on csgo, it can barely run anything but my specs are really good? sometimes on youtube the screen will go all messed up and my whole pc will freeze. I got a new GPU (2070) recently and it's always been like this. What's wrong with my pc?
    note: quite a lot of pins are broken on my motherboard on an unused GPU slot, that could be the issue but i'm not too sure

    specs:

    CPU - i7-5960x @ 3.00GHz

    GPU - RTX 2070

    Memory - 32GB Corsair RAM

    Storage - 250gb ssd, 2tb hdd

    Motherboard - Asus X99-A

    PSU - RM SERIES RM850 850W

    submitted by /u/pingers2021
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics card stuck in slot

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 11:41 AM PDT

    I've had my 1060 in my PC for about 4 years now and finally got my hands on a better graphics card to upgrade but as I'm trying to remove it after unscrewing the case screws the gpu doesn't wanna budge. As I pull it looks like the pcie slot itself wants to come off the motherboard with the card rather than the card coming out. What can I do to help it come out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Ostrich-Neck
    [link] [comments]

    Would I encounter any issues in the future if I built my PC without a GPU and didn’t do anything until I get one?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:43 PM PDT

    I, like many others, am struggling to get a GPU, but I have every other component ready. I am really eager to build the computer, but I'm wondering if leaving a PC 90% assembled would cause any issues.

    Specs In case it makes a difference:

    CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x

    CPU Cooler - Deepcool AS500 Plus

    Motherboard - Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite Ax V2

    RAM - 2x8gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16

    Storage - WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD

    PSU - Corsair RM850

    Case - Lian-Li Lancool II mesh

    submitted by /u/BenRaff07
    [link] [comments]

    Vapor Chamber Desktop Cooling

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:42 PM PDT

    I see a lot of laptop manufacturers showcasing vapor chamber cooling due to its efficiency and in general better performance with the only downside really being the cost. That said, is there such a thing as a vapor chamber cpu cooler for desktops?

    submitted by /u/WolframXero
    [link] [comments]

    RGB Splitters necessary?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:36 PM PDT

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/thenamelessusurper/saved/CvzWt6

    Hey everyone,

    I was looking at a build guide for the Lancool 2 and was wondering if I would need to get additional cables/splitters for the above build with the corsair fans and stuff? Do I have everything I need in terms of cables?

    Thanks in advance! This sub has been very helpful throughout the years!

    P.S I know a GPU isn't part of the list. Waiting to get one, cause, well, you know....

    submitted by /u/NamelessUsurper
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe to use DOCP or XMP if you only have one ram stick that supports it, while the other stick doesn't?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:36 PM PDT

    I recently purchased an 8gb 2666mhz ram stick to use in tandem with an 8gb 2400mhz ram stick from my old prebuilt pc. Before I got the new ram, I couldn't enable DOCP in bios, however, when I got the new ram I was able to. With DOCP enabled, the performance tab of task manager correctly says I have 16gb of memory with the speed at 2666mhz. Does this mean both sticks are running at 2666mhz? Or just the new stick, with the old stick running at its base 2400mhz? Basically, will using DOCP affect only the new ram stick that does support it, but not the old stick that doesn't support it? Can using DOCP while only one stick supports it damage the PC?

    submitted by /u/DrasticPup
    [link] [comments]

    How is my new build budget PC?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 04:20 AM PDT

    Hello guys! First time posting here and just wanted to know your thoughts on my recently built pc.

    For context I got a very old pre-built PC that i have been using for 8 years, and the only thing that i upgraded to it is the GPU (1050ti). My parents needed a PC so I told them I'll give them mine and i'll get a new one. This is my first time building a PC to let you guys know.

    CPU: i5-10600k 4.10GHz

    MotherBoard: MSI MAG B460 Torpedo

    Ram: 16GB 3200mhz (Only running 2667mhz tho idk why) D:

    GPU: 1050Ti 4GB (Using my old one cuz of shortage)

    PSU: EVGA 600BR 80+

    Case: CoolerMaster MB510L

    Overall Price with Tax and Shipping: $970 (if prices were alright and no shortage with a 3060Ti add another $500 in there)

    submitted by /u/FlipitLOW
    [link] [comments]

    The most logical and cost-effective way to upgrade

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:34 PM PDT

    Current build (built in Oct 2013): i5 4670k, MSI Z97-G45, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz (upgraded in 2018), EVGA GTX 1070Ti (upgraded in 2018), Kingston SSD (system) + WDC 1TB HDD + SanDisk SSD. Dell U2412M monitor.

    The current issue: The i5 with its 4 cores / 4 threads is suffering with most AAA titles since 2018 and it is time to think about upgrades. Yes, the time is not the best but life got in the way.

    The new build options: This is were I need your input. I have a couple of build options laid out but I want to keep it cost-effective and, here comes the hated term, "future-proof" as much as possible.

    1. An all-out all-wait build: Ryzen 9 5900X (or Intel 11th gen) with RTX 3090. The problem here is obvious. If it weren't for the stock issues and indefinite wait times on these components this would be the way to go. Then again, there would be no need for this post.
    2. Ryzen 5 5600X (or Intel equivalent) build with my current GTX 1070Ti and live with this setup until CPUs and GPUs are available again or until I manage to score a 3090. The problem is that I want to go 1440p and get a new monitor (keeping the old one is def out of the question) and I'm afraid that my GTX will not be able to keep up for AAA titles with an all-new 2021 system. This also means that at some point in the near future (1-2 years) I'd be buying a new CPU again (and a GPU, of course)
    3. A mid-range AMD/Intel build with the 1070Ti and a 1080p monitor. No bottlenecking but doesn't sound very cost effective as I would essentially need a new build + a 1440p monitor when stocks are normal again.
    4. Get a new 1080p monitor and forget about a new build for jeebus-knows-how-long.

    Any advice and pointing out flaws in my logic would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/beerdigr
    [link] [comments]

    Why are there no workstation laptops with AMD 5800H or 5900H?

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:31 PM PDT

    I am wondering why there are no workstation laptops with AMD 5800H or 5900H. For example, Dell's precision mobile workstations do not carry AMD 5800H or 5900H. Is it because AMD 5800H and 5900H are not good enough for workstations? Or is it just because there is some kind of deal between Dell and Intel? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/rltang
    [link] [comments]

    My new build won't power

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 11:07 AM PDT

    Hi, I have got a new motherboard after some trouble with the 11th gen Intel processors. I connected everything, and updated the bios to version 2004 and everything seemed pretty sweet. It began to update. Suddenly the pc turned off itself. Whenever I try to power it up again, nothing happens. The rgb on the motherboard is still going, however nothing happens when I turn it on. I have already tried to reset CMOS with no result. HELP?

    Specs:

    Asus ROG Strix Z490-F

    Intel i5-11600K

    HyperX 16GB 3200MHz

    MSI 3070 Suprim X

    Corsair RM750 (PSU)

    And a aio-cooler from MSI and 1,5 TB of m.2-disks.

    submitted by /u/yomackaflo
    [link] [comments]

    Help Surround Soundcard 7.1

    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    I want to get a 7.1 soundcard for gaming to pair with my Sennheiser GSP 500. The first optino seems to be GSX 1000 but it's also quite expensive, there are better and cheaper options ? I was thinking about Soundblaster X3 and few more.

    submitted by /u/JediMaS10
    [link] [comments]

    2 dead hdd's after installing a new psu.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2021 07:11 PM PDT

    I just recently got a new psu in the mail (cooler master 750w full modular 80+ gold) (old one was an evga 600w semi modular bronze) and I installed it today and my hard drives wouldn't turn on. My computer booted up on my ssd and was fine but my 2 1tb almost full hard drives wouldn't turn on. I tried changing the cables, I tried the old psu, I tried everything I could find online. I took out the drives and they weren't even recognized on my brother's conputer... how do 2, Not 1, bu TWO hdds die from INSTALLING A PSU? What do I do now? There wasn't a tone of valuable data but I had over 3 GB of memes on one of them and I would prefer not to lose that. I'm lost and have no idea where to go now.

    submitted by /u/fathamburger64
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment